Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine (3451 Views)

.physicians' Strike Irks Lagos State Government. / .physicians' Strike Irks Lagos State Government / Unhealthy And Self Seeking Claim By Nigeria Physicians By Obisesan, Oluwatuyi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Theodarl: 3:44pm On Aug 25, 2014
This is what I think. Let me use this opportunity to bring our attention to something that has been neglected for a very longtime in most countries of the world. It may incite ur curiousity if I say there is nothing wrong if other health professionals are called DOCTORS. Yes I said DOCTORS not MEDICAL DOCTORS as the case is for physicians.
If u look at d origin of the word DOCTOR u will discover it came from a latin word. It was used to qualify teachers (learned people).
According to english oxford dictionary, DOCTOR is defined as a person licensed to practise medicine. In time past, the physicians were the only ones licensed to practise medicine as it was d only medical profession available. They did everything solely. They were then given the title DR.
In our modern time, medicine has been diversified. It now spread across many professions. The physicians are no longer the only professionals licensed to practice medicine. For a better understanding of what is medicine please you may open this link http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/info/medicine/.
In a nut shell, the title DR. should be extended to other professionals licensed to practise medicine. The difference would be in the area of your field of medicine for clarification sake. Same way u differentiate a medical Dr from a philosophy Dr as they are both called Doctors.
It is the right of other health professionals licensed to practise medicine in their respective fields to earn the title Dr. Unfortunately, this has been neglected in some parts of the world. Nigeria inclusive.
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by armadeo(m): 3:52pm On Aug 25, 2014
What are you saying. Any health worker with a PhD is a dr. Optometrists are drs of optometry.
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Nobody: 3:58pm On Aug 25, 2014
let me say this

what do we call phd holder in medicine grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Theodarl: 4:05pm On Aug 25, 2014
armadeo: What are you saying. Any health worker with a PhD is a dr. Optometrists are drs of optometry.

Do MBBS holders study as far as PhD level before they earn the title?
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by armadeo(m): 4:07pm On Aug 25, 2014
Theodarl:
Do MBBS holders study as far as PhD level before they earn the title?

No they don't neither do optometrist. Every proffesion has their titles I.e engineers, lawyers pharmacists, nurses etc.

Why this sudden need for everyone to be called dr. That's my question.

4 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Theodarl: 4:18pm On Aug 25, 2014
armadeo:

No they don't neither do optometrist. Every proffesion has their titles I.e engineers, lawyers pharmacists, nurses etc.

Why this sudden need for everyone to be called dr. That's my question.
Good question. The simple answer is this; because they r also licensed to practice medicine in their respective fields of medicine. Doctor is a title given to persons licenced to practise medicine.. If u read the above article carefully u would agree with the notion
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by armadeo(m): 4:23pm On Aug 25, 2014
Theodarl:
Good question. The simple answer is this; because they r also licensed to practice medicine in their respective fields of medicine. Doctor is a title given to persons licenced to practise medicine.. If u read the above article carefully u would agree with the notion

First of all explain license to practice medicine.

Second why aren't " they" satisfied with the nomenclature their training has bestowed upon them. Why the need to pursue another nomenclature

4 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Theodarl: 4:43pm On Aug 25, 2014
armadeo:

First of all explain license to practice medicine.

Second why aren't " they" satisfied with the nomenclature their training has bestowed upon them. Why the need to pursue another nomenclature
The title Dr. Is well respected and very popular. The professional nomenclature for the medical doctors is physician. Every other health professional also has a professional nomenclature. Point is they can also b called Dr because they r also licensed to practise medicine.

To unrderstand what modern medicine is, pls open the link in the article above.
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by armadeo(m): 5:42pm On Aug 25, 2014
Theodarl:
The title Dr. Is well respected and very popular. The professional nomenclature for the medical doctors is physician. Every other health professional also has a professional nomenclature. Point is they can also b called Dr because they r also licensed to practise medicine.

So because a title is popular and respected but doesn't refer to you, you now want it at all cost.

What is wrong with the one you have now. Its not popular or respected? By who?

Also what do you mean by license to practice medicine?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by NaMe4: 5:51pm On Aug 25, 2014
Theodarl:

So from your explanation, a nurse is actually a doctor and this has been established in a few climes. Okay!
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by passion007: 7:54pm On Aug 25, 2014
armadeo:

So because a title is popular and respected but doesn't refer to you, you now want it at all cost.

What is wrong with the one you have now. Its not popular or respected? By who?

Also what do you mean by license to practice medicine?

Heh heh heh
Dude wants to be a Doctor at any cost!
Pharmacists, Nurses, Medical lab scientists, radiographers and pretty much everyone else in healthcare (other than the Doctor)retain the title Mr.
Note that 'Pharm' is not a title, 'Nurse' is not a title, 'Scientist' is not a title. They are all basically Mr ABC Xyz
Now dude is trying to rationalize the use of the title Dr for these other disciplines.

@OP: You can become either a Medical Doctor or an Academic Doctor.
If you have earned the latter title, kindly return to the University where your services are needed and stop trying to create needless confusion for Nigerians.
That patients frequent hospitals to see "real doctors" is not in doubt. Reckless use of that title will bring in confusion and anarchy, and even worsen your inferiority complex.
For instance, consider this scenario:

Patient: I want to see a Doctor
Pharmacist: I'm a Doctor
Patient (snorts derisively): No, I mean a real doctor.
Pharmacist (visibly irritated): I won't let you put me down. Have you no idea that blah blah blah (he begins to chant Theodarl's post)
Meanwhile, the real doctor is idling away, while the Pharmacist aka Theodarl is engaging a Bricklayer in a ferocious argument to prove he's a doctor)
LOL
Seriously, be content with what you are.

BTW, I'm not a Doctor.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Theodarl: 8:07pm On Aug 25, 2014
NaMe4:

So from your explanation, a nurse is actually a doctor and this has been established in a few climes. Okay!
I don't hv to tell u that the sky is blue on a sunny day. I hv not mentioned anything about my profession. Y would u assume I am a health worker? U hv just reacted like a regular physician. Maybe u r one. I think u should consult ur dictionary if u don't know the difference btw nomenclature n title. Dr is a title not a nomenclature. Other health proffesionals r addressed with the regular title Mr. If u r open minded and not biased u would agree that these other health proffessionals should be addressed as Dr not Mr because Dr according to English oxford dictionary is a person licenced to practise medicine. Eg. Nursing is medicine. It is a branch of modern medicine. A nurse that has graduated from the university n registered with the nursing council is licensed to practice nursing. In otherwords licensed to practise medicine in the field of nursing. Therefore should be addressed with the title Dr. The same goes for other health workers in other areas of medicine.

1 Like

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by passion007: 8:15pm On Aug 25, 2014
Theodarl:
I don't hv to tell u that the sky is blue on a sunny day. I hv not mentioned anything about my profession. Y would u assume I am a health worker? U hv just reacted like a regular physician. Maybe u r one. I think u should consult ur dictionary if u don't know the difference btw nomenclature n title. Dr is a title not a nomenclature. Other health proffesionals r addressed with the regular title Mr. If u r open minded and not biased u would agree that these other health proffessionals should be addressed as Dr not Mr because Dr according to English oxford dictionary is a person licenced to practise medicine. Eg. Nursing is medicine. It is a branch of modern medicine. A nurse that has graduated from the university n registered with the nursing council is licensed to practice nursing. In otherwords licensed to practise medicine in the field of nursing. Therefore should be addressed with the title Dr. The same goes for other health workers in other areas of medicine.
Could you stop using those two words interchangeably? For your own good, that is.

2 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Theodarl: 8:17pm On Aug 25, 2014
passion007:

Heh heh heh
Dude wants to be a Doctor at any cost!
Pharmacists, Nurses, Medical lab scientists, radiographers and pretty much everyone else in healthcare (other than the Doctor)retain the title Mr.
Note that 'Pharm' is not a title, 'Nurse' is not a title, 'Scientist' is not a title. They are all basically Mr ABC Xyz
Now dude is trying to rationalize the use of the title Dr for these other disciplines.

@OP: You can become either a Medical Doctor or an Academic Doctor.
If you have earned the latter title, kindly return to the University where your services are needed and stop trying to create needless confusion for Nigerians.
That patients frequent hospitals to see "real doctors" is not in doubt. Reckless use of that title will bring in confusion and anarchy, and even worsen your inferiority complex.
For instance, consider this scenario:

Patient: I want to see a Doctor
Pharmacist: I'm a Doctor
Patient (snorts derisively): No, I mean a real doctor.
Pharmacist (visibly irritated): I won't let you put me down. Have you no idea that blah blah blah (he begins to chant Theodarl's post)
Meanwhile, the real doctor is idling away, while the Pharmacist aka Theodarl is engaging a Bricklayer in a ferocious argument to prove he's a doctor)
LOL
Seriously, be content with what you are.

BTW, I'm not a Doctor.

People r ignorant. The word doctor is not a replacement for physician. It is a title given to a person licensed to practice medicine. Pls consult a dictionary. Get exposed. I hv taken time to explain what medicine is. If u know how to read u may open the link in the first article n study what is medicine.
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Theodarl: 8:21pm On Aug 25, 2014
passion007:
Could you stop using those two words interchangeably? For your own good, that is.
If u don't know what medicine is I will show u.http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/info/medicine/
Open n study
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by armadeo(m): 8:46pm On Aug 25, 2014
Theodarl:
. A nurse that has graduated from the university n registered with the nursing council is licensed to practice nursing. In otherwords licensed to practise medicine in the field of nursing. Therefore should be addressed with the title Dr

Now this I find interesting. A nurse has a license to practice nursing IN OTHER WORDS medicine.

This in other words Na wa oh!

Why wasn't the license straight forward why were other words used. Why not medicine instead nursing in other words medicine or is that what your own license states.

Hope your sch isn't on that list of fraudulent certificate awarding institutions that is issuing out degrees with in other words grin

Anyway on a serious note man what are you saying? Someone has adviced you that medicine and nursing are not synonyms.

7 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by armadeo(m): 8:48pm On Aug 25, 2014
Theodarl:
If u don't know what medicine is I will show u.http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/info/medicine/
Open n study

Dude if you want to bear dr without hassles there are two ways. GI back to school get an MBBS or OD.

Further you education to PhD believe me when you say I am dr..... Nobody would argue.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by phantom(m): 8:50pm On Aug 25, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin make we even drop this title 'doctor' abeg and take up mister. the wahala don dey too much grin

7 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by NaMe4: 8:57pm On Aug 25, 2014
Theodarl:

So when you NURSE your wards or family member undergoing treatment at home under the physician's prescription, you have invariably practised medicine and IN OTHER WORDS, you could be referred to as a doctor!

I think I get it!

PS: I did not mention anything about your profession.

3 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by phantom(m): 9:07pm On Aug 25, 2014
med·i·cine (md-sn)
n.
a. The science of diagnosing, treating, or preventing disease and other damage to the body or mind.

freedictionary

The science or practice of the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease (in technical use often taken to exclude surgery)

oxford dictionaries

Medicine (UK English Listeni/ˈmɛdsɨn/, US English Listeni/ˈmɛdɨsɨn/) is the science or practice of the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease.

wikipedia

OP,the keywords are in black and its only one professional who does all three.

4 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Heamah: 10:52pm On Aug 25, 2014
phantom: med·i·cine (md-sn)
n.
a. The science of diagnosing, treating, or preventing disease and other damage to the body or mind.

freedictionary

The science or practice of the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease (in technical use often taken to exclude surgery)

oxford dictionaries

Medicine (UK English Listeni/ˈmɛdsɨn/, US English Listeni/ˈmɛdɨsɨn/) is the science or practice of the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease.

wikipedia

OP,the keywords are in black and its only one professional who does all three.

I was about to ask the OP the name of the dictionary where he saw nursing as being medicine. When you go to the university to study medicine, you are awarded bachelor in medicine and bachelor in surgery MBBS. When you study nursing, you are awarded bachelor in nursing. How then is nursing same as medicine. It is only in Nigeria that someone wake up in the morning, think out a thrash, then comes to nairaland and start posting that "why can't we change our country from that way to this way because my brain tells me it would be beautiful if it appears this way"

7 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Coldplay007(f): 11:17pm On Aug 25, 2014
Hilarious thread..
JOHESUites want to be called doctors...
Dr cleaners..
Dr Radiographers...
Dr Dr lab scientists...
Dr Pharmacists...
O ga oo... Medical doctors are in serious trouble..
Hear Justification... other health workers practise Medicine so should be called doctors too.. A nurse that does a 3 year diploma should be called doctor??
That's why some of us left clinical practise for you all..
On one side, JOHESU is doing everything possible to frustrate your life, on the other side the Medical Consultants are also trying to make sure they remain the tin gods of medical practise....
O ga oo

6 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Theodarl: 11:53pm On Aug 25, 2014
Heamah:

I was about to ask the OP the name of the dictionary where he saw nursing as being medicine. When you go to the university to study medicine, you are awarded bachelor in medicine and bachelor in surgery MBBS. When you study nursing, you are awarded bachelor in nursing. How then is nursing same as medicine. It is only in Nigeria that someone wake up in the morning, think out a thrash, then comes to nairaland and start posting that "why can't we change our country from that way to this way because my brain tells me it would be beautiful if it appears this way"
have u heard of the university degree called bachelor of laboratory medicine? If not. Ask goigle. They r not physicians who became pathologist. What title would u call them? U physicians hv failed to realise that medicine has grown bigger than mbbs alone. Every health proffesional with a bachelor degree practise medicine in their respective field. Tk it or leave.
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Theodarl: 12:06am On Aug 26, 2014
Coldplay007: Hilarious thread..
JOHESUites want to be called doctors...
Dr cleaners..
Dr Radiographers...
Dr Dr lab scientists...
Dr Pharmacists...
O ga oo... Medical doctors are in serious trouble..
Hear Justification... other health workers practise Medicine so should be called doctors too.. A nurse that does a 3 year diploma should be called doctor??
That's why some of us left clinical practise for you all..
On one side, JOHESU is doing everything possible to frustrate your life, on the other side the Medical Consultants are also trying to make sure they remain the tin gods of medical practise....
O ga oo
Assumptions r dangerous. I have not mentioned johesu today. Anyway, I like ur use of the term medical doctors. There is a difference btw medical doctor (proffesion) n doctor(title). Nobody is claiming nor sharing ur proffesion (medical doctor) wit u. What we r saying is that the title (doctor) is not solely for mbbs holders alone in dis era of modern medicine where medicine has been diversified across many other proffesions.
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by armadeo(m): 12:55am On Aug 26, 2014
Theodarl:
Assumptions r dangerous. I have not mentioned johesu today. Anyway, I like ur use of the term medical doctors. There is a difference btw medical doctor (proffesion) n doctor(title). Nobody is claiming nor sharing ur proffesion (medical doctor) wit u. What we r saying is that the title (doctor) is not solely for mbbs holders alone in dis era of modern medicine where medicine has been diversified across many other proffesions.

Feel free to call yourself dr.

You haven't put a reasonable argument forward. You still haven't said why you want to answer dr apart from you like the title as it is respected and popular.

I have already given advice on how to go about it.

4 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Nobody: 2:48am On Aug 26, 2014
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_health_professions

hope u know meaning of allied health workers now.
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by MrsAwesome: 6:01am On Aug 26, 2014
Allied health professions are health care professions distinct from nursing, medicine, and pharmacy.[1] One source reported allied health professionals making up 60 percent of the total health workforce.[2] They work in health care teams to make the health care system function by providing a range of diagnostic, technical, therapeutic and direct patient care and support services that are critical to the other health professionals they work with and the patients they serve.

@ the pathologist, this is not even the argument the guy is making, why bring it here.?
In your college of medicine, how many departments do you have?
Why are doctors not called physicians but doctors ?

2 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Nobody: 7:47am On Aug 26, 2014
Good morning everyone, I have observed an unprecedented rise in the population of physicians on Nairaland. Na this strike cause am?...grin

Now let's take a cursory look at the word "doctor". It has nothing to do with allopathic treatment. Infact it is derived from latin word "docere" meaning "to teach".

So in no particular order, a 'doctor' is----->

1. In education; teacher or scholar: a teacher or somebody very knowledgeable.

2. somebody with highest university degree: a title given to somebody who has been awarded a doctorate, the highest level of degree awarded by a university

3. Roman Catholic theologian: in the earlier history of the Roman Catholic Church, an eminent and influential theologian.

4. medic, dentist, veterinarian, or osteopath: a title used before the names of health professionals such as physicians, dentists, veterinarians, and osteopaths.

5. somebody who can fix things: a skilled practitioner of something, especially fixing or improving something.

No one can exclusively protect the title 'doctor" for their use alone like the "Biomedical scientists" and "pharmacists" in UK that protect theirs and make it illegal for any other person to use.

I'm sorry, we can't sue anyone who addresses himself as a "doctor" even if the person is a mechanic who calls himself a 'doctor'(check no5 definition).
The exclusive title for medics is 'physician'..

Let stop banking on the illiteracy of our people to remain important and relevant. We should even enlighten them on these things.

4 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Coldplay007(f): 7:54am On Aug 26, 2014
Case closed!
You guys are doctors. Just put and ad in the newspaper..
I 'MR lab scientist now wish to be referred to as Dr lab scientist, NMA and JOHESU should take note'

5 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by phantom(m): 9:26am On Aug 26, 2014
Coldplay007: Case closed!
You guys are doctors. Just put and ad in the newspaper..
I 'MR lab scientist now wish to be referred to as Dr lab scientist, NMA and JOHESU should take note'

......grin....and life goes on!

5 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 26, 2014
Sentiment driven thread grin
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by armadeo(m): 9:37pm On Aug 26, 2014
YourHealthlabs:
Let stop banking on the illiteracy of our people to remain important and relevant. We should even enlighten them on these things.

Honestly I really don't care who calls himself dr. If the op wants it. He can simply add it to his name.

The area of your post which interests me is quoted above.

Now the illiteracy of our people as you so rightly put it when he calls you dr who does he think he is talking to?

How many people actually correct the people who call them dr and ask for diagnostic or therapeutic help.

The op doesn't want the title for the reasons listed above by you, he wants it because it connotes respect.

Op feel free to put up an ad. Accept my congratulations

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jinja Herbal Drink- Your Answer To That Ailment / From skinny to curvy and enlarged butt /Hip in 10days- Jecaz Super Bum / SAD: MEET 19-year Old Girl Who Has No Womb Or womanliness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.