Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine (3452 Views)

.physicians' Strike Irks Lagos State Government. / .physicians' Strike Irks Lagos State Government / Unhealthy And Self Seeking Claim By Nigeria Physicians By Obisesan, Oluwatuyi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by phantom(m): 5:18pm On Aug 28, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

He is a respected physician on this forum but in his euphoria at reeling out medical terminologies, he has probably forgotten that Radiographers/Imaging Scientists detect anomalies like Appendicitis while there are specific/non-specific laboratory tests to detect, confirm and/or understand the severity of several of his listed medical conditions.

welcome brother. I missed you. grin

does any lab test CONFIRM acute appendicitis for instance?

look,let's always endeavour to say the truth.
there are lots of diseases that are diagnosed only clinically.
some others need labs for SUPPORT and some others need labs for CONFIRMATION. that is my point.

many of you here have been giving grossly misleading and dangerous info to Nigerians.
Nigerians now believe that a doctor who sends patients for lab work is a good doctor and one who doesn't is bad. THAT IS JUST PLAIN WRONG and quacks have capitalised on this to dupe Nigerians.

let me repeat, ANY DOCTOR THAT RELIES ON ANCILLARY INVESTIGATION TO MAKE A DIAGNOSIS IS NOT JUST A BAD DOCTOR BUT A DANGEROUS ONE.

in the case of an acute appendicitis,what possibly would you see in the lab work except elevated white cells.

now I ask,are elevated white cells not seen in plenty diseases? so does it CONFIRM appendicitis? NO! but does it SUPPORT appendicitis? YES!

now,quacks on seeing the lab work,may prescribe antibiotics and maybe painkillers for the patient until he ends up in the teaching hospital with a ruptured appendix and then the story changes.

5 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by allycat: 7:31pm On Aug 28, 2014
What many laboratory Scientist refuse to admit is they are not taught how to make clinical diagnosis, it is based on clinical diagnosis that the type of investigations is determine and there are diseases they dont dont even know about because there is no laboratory investigations directly related to those conditions.
My new house help complained to me of a stomach ache which she has had for several years. On further questioning she admitted having never gone to see a doctor but instead she had done several tests in different labs and was prescribed drugs in the pharmacies near her house based on the test results on several occasions. The pain would stop for a few days or weeks and then return. When I examined the abdomen, staring at me was an umbilical hernia and from her history it has obviously been incarcerated and released itself on and off. No lab tests would have diagnosed that so if she had continued on that path she would have stayed till it strangulated before she would have shown up in a hospital as an emergency. I see patients like this everyday and when they finally come to see the doctor they want miracles and quickly too.

2 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by ozo13(m): 7:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
Ppl n dr hunger for title.wt dis mentality d country can Neva grow.oyinbo man no dey send all dis title stuf.and dey r growing day by day.everybody shld b proud of dr profession.u don't need to b called any title before u work. No wonder someone with nd certificate will want to b called a consultant in d hospital cos dey HV worked for 20years.Nigerians and our smart ways of cutting corners.
Theodarl: This is what I think. Let me use this opportunity to bring our attention to something that has been neglected for a very longtime in most countries of the world. It may incite ur curiousity if I say there is nothing wrong if other health professionals are called DOCTORS. Yes I said DOCTORS not MEDICAL DOCTORS as the case is for physicians.
If u look at d origin of the word DOCTOR u will discover it came from a latin word. It was used to qualify teachers (learned people).
According to english oxford dictionary, DOCTOR is defined as a person licensed to practise medicine. In time past, the physicians were the only ones licensed to practise medicine as it was d only medical profession available. They did everything solely. They were then given the title DR.
In our modern time, medicine has been diversified. It now spread across many professions. The physicians are no longer the only professionals licensed to practice medicine. For a better understanding of what is medicine please you may open this link http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/info/medicine/.
In a nut shell, the title DR. should be extended to other professionals licensed to practise medicine. The difference would be in the area of your field of medicine for clarification sake. Same way u differentiate a medical Dr from a philosophy Dr as they are both called Doctors.
It is the right of other health professionals licensed to practise medicine in their respective fields to earn the title Dr. Unfortunately, this has been neglected in some parts of the world. Nigeria inclusive.
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by ozo13(m): 8:53pm On Aug 28, 2014
Theodarl:
Very dumb. It takes only a bright mind to understand d original argument.
but y must u want every body to b called a doctor in hospital.so a nurse DAT went to skol of nursing with an ND certificate shld also b called a doctor.chairman b proud of your profession.and stop comparing your profession to odas...with that u make your self inferior

1 Like

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Nobody: 8:05am On Aug 29, 2014
phantom:

welcome brother. I missed you. grin

does any lab test CONFIRM acute appendicitis for instance?

look,let's always endeavour to say the truth.
there are lots of diseases that are diagnosed only clinically.
some others need labs for SUPPORT and some others need labs for CONFIRMATION. that is my point.

many of you here have been giving grossly misleading and dangerous info to Nigerians.
Nigerians now believe that a doctor who sends patients for lab work is a good doctor and one who doesn't is bad. THAT IS JUST PLAIN WRONG and quacks have capitalised on this to dupe Nigerians.

let me repeat, ANY DOCTOR THAT RELIES ON ANCILLARY INVESTIGATION TO MAKE A DIAGNOSIS IS NOT JUST A BAD DOCTOR BUT A DANGEROUS ONE.

in the case of an acute appendicitis,what possibly would you see in the lab work except elevated white cells.

now I ask,are elevated white cells not seen in plenty diseases? so does it CONFIRM appendicitis? NO! but does it SUPPORT appendicitis? YES!

now,quacks on seeing the lab work,may prescribe antibiotics and maybe painkillers for the patient until he ends up in the teaching hospital with a ruptured appendix and then the story changes.

Bros, your Acute appendicitis is confirmed by an Imaging Scientist/Sonographer/Radiographer. Not a Physician.

When you need blood for pre-ops. Where do u look?...Into your wardcoats?...We know the answer.
Afterall, we also have ailments that can be taken care of without keeping an appointment with a Physician. Lab investigations will CONFIRM and/or SUPPORT, and/or MONITOR the progression/regression of a disease condition.

Ok let me ask you, do you Confirm Schistosomiasis by just adjusting your eyeglasses while looking at the patient?. Afterall there are many other ailments that presents hematuria as one of their Clinical manifestations.

How about Trichomoniasis?..I guess the smell of that HVS swab tells you it's T.V without having a Scientist look into his microscope and confirming it.

Let's stop deceiving ourself, you can't extricate Lab investigations from 21st century medical practice. Except you want to practice pre-pleistocene, dinosaur-era medicine.

The Radiographers and Scientists provides information that helps you develop a treatment plan for the Patient.

Healthcare is multidisciplinary with the patient in the middle and all of us around him.

**I think i've derailed the Op's "Doctor-title' thread enough**

3 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 29, 2014
allycat: What many laboratory Scientist refuse to admit is they are not taught how to make clinical diagnosis, it is based on clinical diagnosis that the type of investigations is determine and there are diseases they dont dont even know about because there is no laboratory investigations directly related to those conditions.
My new house help complained to me of a stomach ache which she has had for several years. On further questioning she admitted having never gone to see a doctor but instead she had done several tests in different labs and was prescribed drugs in the pharmacies near her house based on the test results on several occasions. The pain would stop for a few days or weeks and then return. When I examined the abdomen, staring at me was an umbilical hernia and from her history it has obviously been incarcerated and released itself on and off. No lab tests would have diagnosed that so if she had continued on that path she would have stayed till it strangulated before she would have shown up in a hospital as an emergency. I see patients like this everyday and when they finally come to see the doctor they want miracles and quickly too.

Ultrasound Scan is about N3,000-N5000 depending on the human area of Study and equipment used. When you recommend it to patients in your private capacity. Some indigent ones will go elsewhere and ask for cheaper non-specific tests.

You forgot to give credit to Sonographer/Imaging Scientist that confirmed the Hernia.
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by phantom(m): 9:23am On Aug 29, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Bros, your Acute appendicitis is confirmed by an Imaging Scientist/Sonographer/Radiographer. Not a Physician.

When you need blood for pre-ops. Where do u look?...Into your wardcoats?...We know the answer.
Afterall, we also have ailments that can be taken care of without keeping an appointment with a Physician. Lab investigations will CONFIRM and/or SUPPORT, and/or MONITOR the progression/regression of a disease condition.

Ok let me ask you, do you Confirm Schistosomiasis by just adjusting your eyeglasses while looking at the patient?. Afterall there are many other ailments that presents hematuria as one of their Clinical manifestations.

How about Trichomoniasis?..I guess the smell of that HVS swab tells you it's T.V without having a Scientist look into his microscope and confirming it.

Let's stop deceiving ourself, you can't extricate Lab investigations from 21st century medical practice. Except you want to practice pre-pleistocene, dinosaur-era medicine.

The Radiographers and Scientists provides information that helps you develop a treatment plan for the Patient.

Healthcare is multidisciplinary with the patient in the middle and all of us around him.

radiologically appendicitis is diagnosed by a radiologist, NOT A RADIOGRAPHER. don't twist it.
secondly a small percentage of appendicitis is diagnosed sonographically.

APPENDICITIS IS A CLINICAL DIAGNOSIS. please Google it and stop insisting stubbornly on what you know nothing about just for arguing sake.
if you lose a relation to appendicitif because the doctor was waiting for lab work,you can sue him.

schistosomiasis is of course confirmed in a lab when you detect ova in stool. same thing with you trichonomiasis.
these are cases where you need labs for confirmation like I mentioned earlier.
but there are thousands of diseases that are diagnosed CLINICALLY.

let's not go round in circles.read my first post again.I hate repeating myself.
infact the only time sonography is really needed in appendicitis is in female patients(there's a reason for that)

1 Like

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by phantom(m): 9:27am On Aug 29, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Ultrasound Scan is about N3,000-N5000 depending on the human area of Study and equipment used. When you recommend it to patients in your private capacity. Some indigent ones will go elsewhere and ask for cheaper non-specific tests.

You forgot to give credit to Sonographer/Imaging Scientist that confirmed the Hernia.

please stop spreading false information.
in nigerian tertiary centers,RADIOGRAPHERS DONT SCAN AND DIAGNOSE.ITS WRONG and amounts to quackery. please ask around.

its resident doctors in radiology who scan patients.
for instance,in UPTH,radiographers operate the digital Cray machines,mammo ,CT and MRI.
they ACQUIRE images, the doctors INTERPRETE AND DIAGNOSE the patients. don't mix things up please

1 Like

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by chyke87: 2:30pm On Aug 30, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

so chidozie, na here u dey hide? grin grin grin
wetin happen for politics section na? we really miss you there hahahahahaha

1 Like

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by allycat: 10:21pm On Aug 30, 2014
YourHealthlabs:
Which so no graphed confirmed the diagnosis A general surgeon confirmed it. The diagnosis of a straight forward hernia is made entirely clinically, that makes it a very popular case for medical students examination and an ultrasound is only necessary when complications a suspected not to make a diagnosis.
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by helpee(m): 10:32pm On Aug 30, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

I wonder why people are arguing with you. You know nothing about medicine
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by originbm: 6:41am On Jan 09, 2017
phantom:
med·i·cine (md-sn)
n.
a. The science of diagnosing, treating, or preventing disease and other damage to the body or mind.

freedictionary

The science or practice of the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease (in technical use often taken to exclude surgery)

oxford dictionaries

Medicine (UK English Listeni/ˈmɛdsɨn/, US English Listeni/ˈmɛdɨsɨn/) is the science or practice of the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease.

wikipedia

OP,the keywords are in black and its only one professional who does all three.

No sir, it is not only one profession that does the three.Optometry does the three fully and to the very extent of their competence independently.
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Nobody: 2:23am On May 05, 2017
armadeo:

Dude if you want to bear dr without hassles there are two ways. GI back to school get an MBBS or OD.

Further you education to PhD believe me when you say I am dr..... Nobody would argue.
Are dentists called doctors in a hospital setting? Or don't they deserve it 'cos their own degree is BDS, DDS or DMD?
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by armadeo(m): 8:28am On May 08, 2017
Mandeyy:
Are dentists called doctors in a hospital setting? Or don't they deserve it 'cos their own degree is BDS, DDS or DMD?

I don't get where you are coming from. Dentists are called drs both in and out of the hospital setting.

Please elaborate

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

From skinny to curvy and enlarged butt /Hip in 10days- Jecaz Super Bum / SAD: MEET 19-year Old Girl Who Has No Womb Or womanliness / Corona Virus Predicted By Nostradamus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.