Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,811 members, 7,806,275 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions (13136 Views)

Surep/ferma Task Force Workers Protest At NHRC Lagos Zonal Office. / APC Presidential Zonal Rally In Owerri - Live Update / PDP Coordinators Beat Up Zonal Secretary (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by omongbatic: 7:43pm On Aug 25, 2014
To make a dispassionate analysis of which region(s) is(are) a parasite(s) in Nigeria, three types of evaluations would be important: population, contribution to the nation, and what is taken from the nation.

So here we go:

SE: least populated by official census; least recipient of federal Naira (aka least takers from the national cake); low contributor to the national cake
SS: mid populated; highest taker from the national cake; highest baker of the national cake
SW, high populated; third highest taker to the national cake; mid contributor to the national cake
NE Mid to high populated; high taker from the national cake; low baker of the national cake
NC: mid to high population; mid to high taker from the national cake; low baker of the national cake
NW: very high populated; second highest taker from the national cake; low to mid contributor to national cake

Based on the above analysis, who then is a parasite and who is not? The parasitic zones would be those who have a high population, take a lot away from the national cake and give far less back. Also, those with relatively lower population, but take more and give less, are parasites as well. In addition, even others who take away even slightly more than they give are also parasites, to a lesser extent, of course.

At this point, let me also make another distinction regarding the SE, due to the peculiarity of the natives of that region. The term ''SE'' should be distinguished from the term ''Igbo''. While SE is low populated and therefore, as expected, a low taker and low giver, the Igbos are nearly the opposite. They are a large population, they contribute the most to Nigeria as an individual ethnic group, and they take the least as an ethnic group. By the very nature of their penchant to migrate to other parts of Nigeria and abroad, they work, pay taxes and contribute to the income of their host zones in Nigeria, thereby helping to increase the contribution of such host zones to the national cake. Their millions of business men import all sorts of goods and pay customs and exercise levies and taxes; they pay rents for shops and business premises in non-Igbo zones; they single-handedly moved Nollywood to the current level, thereby generating billions for the country; they pay huge sums as school fees for their wards who study in fed, state and private schools in non-Igbo zones; they remit billions of dollars from abroad, being the most Nigerians found abroad. On top of all these, by the nature of their level of self employment, they are the least, both as an ethnic group and as a zonal group, with govt employment. This means that govt salaries go less to Igbos and SE, than to other ethnic groups and their zones.

On the flip side, this huge migration has contributed in depleting SE zonal population, its contribution to the nation, and thus, its take-away from the nation. Again, distinguishing between SE and Igbo, the SE is the most leveling zone in NIGERIA; it takes only as much as it gives. In contrast, the Igbo lose out because they give more than they receive.

The SS is the most balanced because it gets as much as it gives, commensurate to its zonal population.

I would like those of you who have the statistics of regional populations, federal revenue allocations per region, and contributions to the federal purse per region to post such data here with true links. Thereafter, let those of you who are grounded in economics analyze and refute my permutations that all three parameters must be considered in calling any Nigerian zone a parasite.

12 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by omongbatic: 7:43pm On Aug 25, 2014
Below is a typical monthly allocation formula in Nigeria since after the creation of zones. SE always gets the lowest every month

In a summary of federal allocations to the states obtained by the Economic Confidential, the online intelligence magazine, within the period South-South states that are mostly oil-producing received the highest allocation of N386.8 billion followed by North-West N162.5 billion and South-West N160.7 billion.

Other regions like North-East got N119.7 billion, North-Central N117.2 billion and South-East received N99.4 billion.

https://www.nairaland.com/547057/rich-poor-states-how-states
(Modify) (Quote) (Report)

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by omongbatic: 7:43pm On Aug 25, 2014
Igbos have taken their rightful place economically in Nigeria as a country; however, the SE has not. The only way the SE will take its rightful place in Nigeria is for SE to de-invest in other zones. Here I must then link the term ''SE'' with ''Igbo''. Igbos have to go back home to SE in large numbers and repopulate that place; they must invest more at home and eventually be plentiful enough in SE to get more federal allocation, and in return cause the SE to make more contribution to the national cake. Any investments Igbos make outside of the SE (and there are thousands of such investments worth trillions) are investments that counts for other zones. Remember ethnicity is not even in the census data. So, even if Igbo-owned activities continue to enrich Lagos, PH, Abuja and Kano among other states, it amounts to nothing economically for the SE.

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 25, 2014
Bravo. I'm not sure about the regional parasites but i think the main parasites are a large group of entities with varying tribes. They are like the Ebola virus, there's only an experimental cure available grin
Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by omongbatic: 7:52pm On Aug 25, 2014
Igbos are to blame for the perception of ''poor performance'' of SE, although this is not a case of poor performance at all, given population and federal allocations data.

That being said, much is expected from Igbos; so everything ''Igbotic'' (including its zone of SE) is viewed with a different, often higher, standard than other Nigerian groups/zones.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by omongbatic: 8:01pm On Aug 25, 2014
Tazmode: Bravo. I'm not sure about the regional parasites but i think the main parasites are a large group of entities with varying tribes. They are like the Ebola virus, there's only an experimental cure available grin

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by nextexcel: 8:07pm On Aug 25, 2014
Becouse a wise man is writhing,i chose to comment and also endures this thread with a trillion likes," if only my igbo brothers and sisters will listen".

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by Adelaide2: 8:17pm On Aug 25, 2014
Just helping with data

Table 2
Percentage of Nigeria's Population by Major Geopolitical Zone, 2003

North Central
Women: 14.7
Men:14.9
North East
Women:17.9
Men:17.9
North West
Women:27.5
Men:25.7
Total North
Women:60.1
Men:58.5
South East
Women:9.7
Men:8.8

South South
Women:17.6
Men:19.0
South West
Women:12.6
Men:13.7
Total South
Women:39.9
Men:41.5

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Articles/2006/IntheNewsTheNigerianCensus.aspx

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by Adelaide2: 8:22pm On Aug 25, 2014
omongbatic: Igbos have taken their rightful place economically in Nigeria as a country; however, the SE has not. The only way the SE will take its rightful place in Nigeria is for SE to de-invest in other zones. Here I must then link the term ''SE'' with ''Igbo''. Igbos have to go back home to SE in large numbers and repopulate that place; they must invest more at home and eventually be plentiful enough in SE to get more federal allocation, and in return cause the SE to make more contribution to the national cake. Any investments Igbos make outside of the SE (and there are thousands of such investments worth trillions) are investments that counts for other zones. Remember ethnicity is not even in the census data. So, even if Igbo-owned activities continue to enrich Lagos, PH, Abuja and Kano among other states, it amounts to nothing economically for the SE.

Endorsed and very ''gbam-edly'' too. Igbos will be the ones to make or mar themselves in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by gatiano(m): 8:33pm On Aug 25, 2014
At this hour and time in all of the deviation of the blackman's history, we still think igbo, yoruba,hausa,fulani,bini, tutsi, hutsi etc, which one should have what, or whose is not entitled to what, The whiteman really played one on us. thinking about how to share money that is underpaid in the first place, secondly money we did little or nothing to get. fighting over nothing! like when they get the funds, they will do something worthwhile with it. Abeg people make we come together think how to vote in the correct leadership. it starts from learning how to vote!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by EasternLeopard: 9:43pm On Aug 25, 2014
omongbatic: Igbos have taken their rightful place economically in Nigeria as a country; however, the SE has not. The only way the SE will take its rightful place in Nigeria is for SE to de-invest in other zones. Here I must then link the term ''SE'' with ''Igbo''. Igbos have to go back home to SE in large numbers and repopulate that place; they must invest more at home and eventually be plentiful enough in SE to get more federal allocation, and in return cause the SE to make more contribution to the national cake. Any investments Igbos make outside of the SE (and there are thousands of such investments worth trillions) are investments that counts for other zones. Remember ethnicity is not even in the census data. So, even if Igbo-owned activities continue to enrich Lagos, PH, Abuja and Kano among other states, it amounts to nothing economically for the SE.

I beg to disagree

Rather than Igbos return back home, I will advice we spread our businesses/investments throughout the world why leaving their head offices and main industries back home

My reasons

In the event of another war, foreign currencies will flow in and help us to acquire needed war materials

If we secretly finance ruling party and opposition parties of our host foreign nations, we could use influence the political decision of our host nations to favour Biafra

In business, it is wise you go to potential customers if you want to control the market and make more money. So if we go to potential global customers we would control global market and make huge profits.
This wealth when sent back will boast our economy and wipe out poverty

Don't be perturb about the federal allocations received by other regions but be concern about

1) How many Igbos have escaped poverty

2) How connected are Igbos to global benefits

3) How immune are we to disasters affecting Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by Adelaide2: 10:02pm On Aug 25, 2014
EasternLeopard:
I beg to disagree
Rather than Igbos return back home, I will advice we spread our businesses/investments throughout the world why leaving their head offices and main industries back home
My reasons
In the event of another war, foreign currencies will flow in and help us to acquire needed war materials
If we secretly finance ruling party and opposition parties of our host foreign nations, we could use influence the political decision of our host nations to favour Biafra
In business, it is wise you go to potential customers if you want to control the market and make more money. So if we go to potential global customers we would control global market and make huge profits.
This wealth when sent back will boast our economy and wipe out poverty
Don't be perturb about the federal allocations received by other regions but be concern about
1) How many Igbos have escaped poverty
2) How connected are Igbos to global benefits
3) How immune are we to disasters affecting Nigeria

Igbos are not even putting the head office of their businesses at home. How can Igbos be made to help themselves?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by EasternLeopard: 10:10pm On Aug 25, 2014
Adelaide2:

Igbos are not even putting the head office of their businesses at home. How can Igbos be made to help themselves?

Its education

Which you and I are doing to help our people understand

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by ChrisOD: 2:33am On Aug 26, 2014
EasternLeopard:

Its education

Which you and I are doing to help our people understand

Common sense dictates that if other Nigerians are not investing much in Igboland Igbos should not invest much outside Igboland.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by EasternLeopard: 4:36am On Aug 26, 2014
ChrisOD:

Common sense dictates that if other Nigerians are not investing much in Igboland Igbos should not invest much outside Igboland.

Global investing not national investing

Go through my post and see the benefitys
Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by abbakacici: 4:49am On Aug 26, 2014
for Your information there are difference between, federal government allocation, Budget, GDP and contribution to federal government e.g
e.g lagos GDP last year was almost 2 trillion but the Budget was 500 billion of which around 300 was from federal government (200 IGR) while lagos contributed almost 700 billion to federal government (IFRS taxes) second example was Kano with GDP in 2013 was almost 700 billion but the Budget was 200 billion of which around 160 was from federal government (40 billion IGR) while it contributed almost 130 billion to federal government (IFRS taxes and VAT) second example was IMO with GDP in 2013 was almost 750 billion but the Budget was 200 billion of which around 195 was from federal government (5 billion IGR) while it contributed almost 75 billion to federal government
and OP are talking about regional GDP or tribal GDP that is the total Economic activities that take place in that particular regions or by a particular tribe.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by tunwumi: 5:10am On Aug 26, 2014
Bunch of educated illiterate .

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by ChrisOD: 3:19pm On Aug 26, 2014
EasternLeopard:

Global investing not national investing

Go through my post and see the benefitys

Global investing when your backyard is left un-invested? Apart from Igbos, can you show me any country or group of people who is less invested in their own place but more invested outside? Point to one.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by EasternLeopard: 3:30pm On Aug 26, 2014
ChrisOD:

Global investing when your backyard is left un-invested? Apart from Igbos, can you show me any country or group of people who is less invested in their own place but more invested outside? Point to one.

Jews

That is why US come to aid israel

They indirectly control US

But record sake

I said we should leave our head offices and main factories in Igboland while we establish branches world wide

Go to your customers is the secret to great profit.

When you go to your customers, your boys can convince them that they can get those products cheaper in Igboland just the way the Chinese do

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by superstar1(m): 3:34pm On Aug 26, 2014
Nice analysis so far.

The question is, can the population of SE support and sustain investment?

You need to stem the wave of emigration first.
Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by ketoprofen(m): 5:01pm On Aug 26, 2014
@ Op, don't tell me u believed that useless census?
SE was under counted but its thickly populated, the fact that igbos exists in large numbers elsewhere go to explain that Igbo population is underestimated.
However, since the FG didn't invest anything in SE, and is not allocating much to se, what were they expecting in return in the name of contribution.
I also want to point out that SE is the most non oil productive zone in southern Nigeria, with a high cash volume.
It contributes oil too.
The cash goes to the individuals cos the latter made it, and not the FG .
I also support that our large scale ventures n industries that are in non SE areas be relocated, while leaving our branches in other places.
What we contribute to the FG shouldn't be our headache, after all the FG is not thinking of how to give out to se!
Hence, we shouldn't pay heed to the nonsense said by the lazy, dependent people who don't contribute much to the GDP of their own states.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by ChrisOD: 5:22pm On Aug 26, 2014
EasternLeopard:

Jews

That is why US come to aid israel

They indirectly control US

But record sake

I said we should leave our head offices and main factories in Igboland while we establish branches world wide

Go to your customers is the secret to great profit.

When you go to your customers, your boys can convince them that they can get those products cheaper in Igboland just the way the Chinese do

You mean Israel is left undeveloped? I am sorry, but that's a big fat lie.
Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by ChrisOD: 5:29pm On Aug 26, 2014
superstar1: Nice analysis so far.

The question is, can the population of SE support and sustain investment?

You need to stem the wave of emigration first.

It's a cycle. More investing (rich) people, more revenue, more productivity, more income. That is why urban areas with high population (pop) are more attractive than rural areas with less pop. You do not attract the pop if there are no investments. And investments won't come of there is no pop to sustain it. SE seems to be in a bind on this one. But as the OP suggested, Igbos can kill two birds with one stone: move back to SE in large numbers and do so with your investments.
Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by ChrisOD: 5:32pm On Aug 26, 2014
ketoprofen: @ Op, don't tell me u believed that useless census?
SE was under counted but its thickly populated, the fact that igbos exists in large numbers elsewhere go to explain that Igbo population is underestimated.
However, since the FG didn't invest anything in SE, and is not allocating much to se, what were they expecting in return in the name of contribution.
I also want to point out that SE is the most non oil productive zone in southern Nigeria, with a high cash volume.
It contributes oil too.
The cash goes to the individuals cos the latter made it, and not the FG .
I also support that our large scale ventures n industries that are in non SE areas be relocated, while leaving our branches in other places.
What we contribute to the FG shouldn't be our headache, after all the FG is not thinking of how to give out to se!
Hence, we shouldn't pay heed to the nonsense said by the lazy, dependent people who don't contribute much to the GDP of their own states.

Are you saying that SE is more populated than other zones? Do you want to argue that the unprecedented migration of Igbos does not affect SE population? You must be kidding. Even if God comes down from heaven and conducts a census tomorrow, the SE will very likely be the least populated. But like the OP said, let's differentiate the SE from Igbo in some of these arguments about population and wealth. Igbos are doing well, and most likely the largest ethnic group in Nigeria, but the SE is really not (at least by southern Nigerian standard). Of course my points are limited to the issue under discussion here.
Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by EasternLeopard: 5:50pm On Aug 26, 2014
ChrisOD:

You mean Israel is left undeveloped? I am sorry, but that's a big fat lie.

When everyone establishes a headoffice and main factory in Igboland, how will it still be underdeveloped.

Imagine having 100 000 headoffices and main factories in Igboland and 1000 000 branches worldwide
Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by ChrisOD: 5:53pm On Aug 26, 2014
EasternLeopard:

When everyone establishes a headoffice and main factory in Igboland, how will it still be underdeveloped.

Imagine having 100 000 headoffices and main factories in Igboland and 1000 000 branches worldwide
In that case, the Op, you and I are on same page.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by lilprinze: 5:59pm On Aug 26, 2014
I think the igbos need to go back to develop, invest and improve in their states instead of helping other people develop their own state the investment igbos have in Kano and Lagos along is worth trillions of naria

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by EasternLeopard: 6:05pm On Aug 26, 2014
ChrisOD:
In that case, the Op, you and I are on same page.

Yes but with a slight caution

Which is take your branches outside Nigeria

Now in the event of a war, factories will be destroyed if the enemy has some form of airpower.

But

Our investments outside Nigeria will help us rebuild our home investments rapidly

Remember the destruction of factories during the civil war and confiscation of our properties after the civil war popularly called " abandoned property".

If we Igbos had huge investments out Nigeria, we would have recovered quicker to frustrate Awo's indigenization policy.

Never forget the lessons learnt b4 during and after the war.
Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by ketoprofen(m): 6:34pm On Aug 26, 2014
ChrisOD:

Are you saying that SE is more populated than other zones? Do you want to argue that the unprecedented migration of Igbos does not affect SE population? You must be kidding. Even if God comes down from heaven and conducts a census tomorrow, the SE will very likely be the least populated. But like the OP said, let's differentiate the SE from Igbo in some of these arguments about population and wealth. Igbos are doing well, and most likely the largest ethnic group in Nigeria, but the SE is really not (at least by southern Nigerian standard). Of course my points are limited to the issue under discussion here.

SE is not the least populated in the south, my friend.
i cant be giving myself headache for not giving the FG much when they didn't participate in setting up ventures in the east. even if u move all Igbo private ventures in the east, it will be same tnz.
Lagos contribution comes from FG investments as ports; SS from the oil which FG claimed, so the only thing that wl raise the contribution - to - FG - status of SE is direct FG investments,, ports for eg.
Otherwise, they shd go n sleep. They didn't give us, we are not giving them.
U can't tell Onitsha biz men to empty their revenue to the federation acct, for what? na FG build the mkt?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by ChrisOD: 6:47pm On Aug 26, 2014
ketoprofen:

SE is not the least populated in the south, my friend.
i cant be giving myself headache for not giving the FG much when they didn't participate in setting up ventures in the east. even if u move all Igbo private ventures in the east, it will be same tnz.
Lagos contribution comes from FG investments as ports; SS from the oil which FG claimed, so the only thing that wl raise the contribution - to - FG - status of SE is direct FG investments,, ports for eg.
Otherwise, they shd go n sleep. They didn't give us, we are not giving them.
U can't tell Onitsha biz men to empty their revenue to the federation acct, for what? na FG build the mkt?

We can argue about the population until tomorrow. So let each one of us hold on to their belief. As as far as the law of give and take follows, there is no way we Igbos will migrate out of Igboland to the extent that we do and still have a huge pop in SE that can be said to be larger than those of other groups who migrate far less.

As for your other point, Yes, I agree with you that Igbos cannot contribute returns from their private investments to the FG who have invested less in Igboland than elsewhere. Still, wealthy Igbos in SE should pay commensurate taxes and levies so that such revenues can be used to boost SE's IGR.
Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by ChrisOD: 6:52pm On Aug 26, 2014
EasternLeopard:

Yes but with a slight caution

Which is take your branches outside Nigeria

Now in the event of a war, factories will be destroyed if the enemy has some form of airpower.

But

Our investments outside Nigeria will help us rebuild our home investments rapidly

Remember the destruction of factories during the civil war and confiscation of our properties after the civil war popularly called " abandoned property".

If we Igbos had huge investments out Nigeria, we would have recovered quicker to frustrate Awo's indigenization policy.

Never forget the lessons learnt b4 during and after the war.

Well, the only places where Igbo investments outside Igboland will be safe are the developed western countries where protocols are followed and the laws work. I won't even bet on the safety of Igbo investment in China, other African countries, and indeed, in Nigeria outside Igboland. The uncertainty and risks in these places are just too much. Remember what Ghana and SA are doing to Nigerian business people in their countries? Well, those Nigerians are mostly Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Its Zonal Populations And Zonal Economic Contributions by EasternLeopard: 7:17pm On Aug 26, 2014
ChrisOD:

Well, the only places where Igbo investments outside Igboland will be safe are the developed western countries where protocols are followed and the laws work. I won't even bet on the safety of Igbo investment in China, other African countries, and indeed, in Nigeria outside Igboland. The uncertainty and risks in these places are just too much. Remember what Ghana and SA are doing to Nigeria business people in their countries? Well, those Nigerians are mostly Igbos.

Such experiences occur everywhere to every race

I believe we can stealthly finance our war or re-finance our economy in non-western nations because of their uncontrollable desire to see their economy grow.

Watch movies you will see how the americans hide their illegal wealth in non-western nations

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Man Shares His Experience With Soldiers During Distribution Of Blankets To IDPs / Restructuring: South-East And South-South Governors Meet In Akwa Ibom (Photos) / Weaponising Religion In Yoruba Politics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.