Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,651 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:54 PM

Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” - Fashion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” (30135 Views)

Photo: Can You Wear This Outfit? / Video Tutorial : Download Free Makeup Tutorial For Black Women / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 12:12am On Aug 27, 2014
sweetyEse: #Teamnaturalhairbabes.
cool
And if really I want to switch, its braids

Weather, texture...excuses. Take good care of your hair, get the right hair care products and be patient.
I use to give excuses too, and now I love my natural hair. Thick, black,healthy and now long.

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by tonychristopher: 12:23am On Aug 27, 2014
They are just so fake

Attitude fake
Hair fake
Nails fake
Beast some fake
Skin bleached
Accent fake
Life style fake

Complexed peeps
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by PrettyGaby(f): 12:26am On Aug 27, 2014
i wear my natural haire buh darn, it's hard; especially with my classmates harping on me to go, relax it already...

2 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 12:35am On Aug 27, 2014
Solozzo:

Display of racism! Everything and everybody is black or white to you. I guess you live in America or South Africa!

Wake up and smell the coffee ..this is the world we live in , this aint your bisounours world , there's no such as being neutral, holding hands and singing kumbaya

*Marry within your race, is that so hard ?

*stop being copycat
*rock your natural hair

Infact we need to b racist because as for now all we have are low self esteem zombies roaming our continent

* have some pride for Gods sake
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 2:00am On Aug 27, 2014
why not try growing your hair to a reasonable lenght and feel how painful and time consuming it can be to maintain a fully grown hair. its not an inferiority complex issue. neither is it the cause of our problems. get busy!

2 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 2:10am On Aug 27, 2014
Ishilove:
Did you read my post at all? Did you read the part where I mentioned where African women in ancient times used the equivalent of modern day relaxers for their hair? Would you say they too suffered from low self esteem?? You just stretched forth your plague addled fingers to type the same stuff that comes out of yer anus.

Pre-colonial times- Hot fat

Contemporary times- Relaxers and texturisers.

E don tey wey woman don dey put sontin for her hair, so keep your yakking to the minimum.

FYI, Ishilove is one of the most confident women God created. FACT.

Who the frog are you to tell me I have self hate?? Niqqa fvck you, you don't know me, mehn, so quit trolling!! God gave us thick hair, and gave us the wisdom, technology AND chemicals to manage the thick hair. I bet all those women you dated never had coarse hair so shut it and go kiss wet paint.

Like I said, go roll in soldier ants nest if you ain't satisfied with the way we keep our hair. We care not about your baseless opinions, and I shall keep rocking my shoulder length, ARTIFICIALLY stretched hair. cool
i love you!!!

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by red101(f): 5:51am On Aug 27, 2014
women should be free to wear their hair however they want. relaxed, natural, dyed, brazillian weave, afro weave,texturized, shaved, or whatever.
what I mostly see on this thread is a bunch of guys projecting their own low self esteem and inferiority complex onto women.

3 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by sweetyEse(f): 7:26am On Aug 27, 2014
Joavid: cool And if really I want to switch, its braids Weather, texture...excuses. Take good care of your hair, get the right hair care products and be patient. I use to give excuses too, and now I love my natural hair. Thick, black,healthy and now long.
Very true, mine isnt long though, i had to cut it and start all over but it is so healthy. My mum and sister are going natural too. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by sexgoddess: 7:32am On Aug 27, 2014
what is wrong with u people, fighting over an issue that is clearly the lady with the hair's decision, (relaxed or natural,) it doesn't make you any better than any body.
it's just a choice!! Ahhhhhhh!

2 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by ThaProphet(m): 8:04am On Aug 27, 2014
I'm happy to see that there is quite a number of ladies here who keep their hair "natural".

Props to all the ladies who are rocking their "natural" /African hair. I Know it's not easy given the eurocentric society we live in which constantly propagates the white standard of beauty as the ideal one and subjugates any African style and concept of beauty.

Your African hair is constantly labelled as "untidy" and "angry" in the workplace. In the social space, you get ridiculous stares and looks even from your very own. There is so much pressure on you to succumb, conform and buy those weaves and damaging hair products but still you stick with the decision to keep your hair healthy and rock your crown, not cover it.

Don't give in to the pressure, just keep doing you. There are many who love and appreciate it.

As for this thread, same old arguments whenever this topic arises. Like I earlier said, there are no excuses...just choice.

2 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Ladycloud(f): 9:50am On Aug 27, 2014
@op...it's as easy as telling ur gf's,mother or sister to live the example...den we can follow suit...for nw..#zip up
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 27, 2014
Been there, done that. Now you can follow suit.

Here's your answer:
To be an educator means to teach and sometimes the best way to teach is to lead by example, so allow me to do just that.
My aged mother’s rocks her natural hair all her life under the same Nigerian weather you accused of wickedness.
My wife have been on 100% natural afro-centric curl even before I knew her (that natural hair sure contributed to the attraction) and she had a blast doing it.
My daughters? and so are my two lovely girls.
My sisters have since dropped the "fakeness" and have since reverted to their blackness.
And talking about me, I worked in corporate Nigeria, yet, I rock a huge afro and I have never been so been so cute.
Yes, we look, feel and are better in our natural state.

Unfortunately, many of our sisters do not remember how beautiful we are without so-called glitz, glam and lye. Sisters been hoodwinked by White media to think that we are not enough because of the lack of “reasonable”, natural images in their media. Also unfortunate that there are too many sisters willing to co-sign with the lies fed to our people.

This is not a condemnation of beautiful black women, neither is it a judgement on those who will still continue to IMITATE caucasian hair.
It is rather the beginning of our joining of being glorious in our own image. In our understanding that we need to represent the negroes, be it in hair, skin colour, culture and our psyche.
For us to even be having this discussion in this manner, It shows the awakening has begun.
Yes! The train of this renewal have just left the station.

I Love you black women. You rock!

“Don’t remove the kinks from your hair! Remove them from your brain!” – Marcus Garvey
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 27, 2014
The wider argument is simple:

IF YOU MUST ALTER YOUR HAIR; DO IT, BUT LET IT NOT BE IN IMITATION OF WHITES
IF YOU MUST USE WEAVES/WIGS, AT LEAST, REPLACE IT WITH SOMETHING THAT IS IN YOUR IMAGE (USE AFRO WIGS, MAYBE)
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Triczchic(f): 11:19am On Aug 27, 2014
U know…U'd think the intensity with which derogatory words are used would ACTUALLY aid to change the mind of the ladies using weaves... Everyone has a choice & each choice made has reasons (justifiable or not) to back them up. These reasons MUST not conform with anyone else’s ethics cos every individual is a unique being.

Those using weaves choose to.

Those rocking fros and clean cuts choose to.

SO ...guyz... U also have a choice... Avoid those with weaves if u hate it so damn much and go for the fros & clean cuts OR embrace those wit weaves if u rily couldn’t be bothered. If her man isn't complaining, why should u?

It basically saves u the energy exerted in typing hateful comments if u ask me... undecided

3 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by BlackLeopard(m): 11:31am On Aug 27, 2014
JonBee1: The wider argument is simple:

IF YOU MUST ALTER YOUR HAIR; DO IT, BUT LET IT NOT BE IN IMITATION OF WHITES
IF YOU MUST USE WEAVES/WIGS, AT LEAST, REPLACE IT WITH SOMETHING THAT IS IN YOUR IMAGE (USE AFRO WIGS, MAYBE)

That kinda ignores what one does with Black hair ain't gonna appear even close ta white one
It's physically impossible to Bleep black hair to dat degree grin grin
What's all dese false equivalences like they're different quality hair dey gonna keep being different Blacks can't ''immitate'' whites (an it's the other way around white folk tryyy cheesy)
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by BlackLeopard(m): 11:33am On Aug 27, 2014
Triczchic: Everyone has a choice & each choice made has reasons (justifiable or not) to back them up.

Amen ta whole the post, jus to this note - to hells with 'justifiable' like who even asks, your body = your body, ain't nobody's deal be askin' to justify these choices, ya make them, ya own them, everybody naysayer shut up go to your mamas. XD

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Triczchic(f): 11:44am On Aug 27, 2014
BlackLeopard:

Amen ta whole the post, jus to this note - to hells with 'justifiable' like who even asks, your body = your body, ain't nobody's deal be askin' to justify these choices, ya make them, ya own them, everybody naysayer shut up go to your mamas. XD

Yeah...juss saying "whether justifiable to the "judges" or not".... I rily culdn't care less about what someone thinks of the hair Iv got on. Right now, iv got my naturally & chemically retouched/relaxed hair on...not because guyz prefer it but because I feel like rocking my hair right now. Its all about my choice...afterall, no one on this thread is giving anyone a cent to look good...so no one has the right to tell anyone else off.

cool

2 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by ifekemmy(f): 12:48pm On Aug 27, 2014
most Africans especially the women are not satisfied the way God intended them to be so the cook up good excuses as to why they wear false hair,false nails,false eye lashes,even false boobs and backside too.they just want to copy the white people who colonised them,they are never free,they have also lost the true identity of an African women even some men too

Truth, i love my weaving
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 27, 2014
SHAME!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ez2pMZBPgE

Another day; another shame
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by ifekemmy(f): 1:16pm On Aug 27, 2014
How many of your wives, girlfriends, mothers and sisters are 100% natural?

Permit me to say they suffer from extremely low esteem too.

Hypocrites!

OP is not talking abt nl ladies alone including d above mentioned. To those who re abusing nl ladies pls check ur homes. Correction begins @ home!

Last bullet: bf u remove pieces of wood in ur friend's eyes, 1st of us remove d heap in ur eyes
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 1:26pm On Aug 27, 2014
A white student at a University in United Kingdom poses this question during a group discussion sometime back, my first instinct was that this guy was racist. I asked him why he had made such racist remarks about black women, and his answer was that, he has travelled the world over but has rarely seen black women with genuine natural beauty because most of them tend to copy the looks of the white including colour through bleaching and hair extensions. This is shameful.

It is important that Blacks challenge this mindset by making the choice to just be themselves without the European enhancements, without the contact lenses, the damaging chemicals in their hair, and the skin lighteners. This has permeated so deeply in our societies to the point that, an African woman with chemically damaged hair, a perm, will look at a natural haired woman and ask her how she has the guts to walk around like that in public. What a shame? Euro-centric hair imitation, like bleaching creams are big business in Africa. Such is the psychological damage to many African women that they think that their darkness is a stain.

Freedom of choice and style is a great argument. But not when it’s to the detriment of many young black girls’ self-esteems. To be taught from infancy that looking anything but authentically, naturally African is the acceptable standard when one is born with inherent African features is WRONG. To be told that African hair has to be covered up, straightened and is just too nappy to be seen in public is WRONG. For skin lighteners to be big business in Africa is WRONG.

Sheryl Underwood blasts natural hair

JonBee1: SHAME!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ez2pMZBPgE
Another day; another shame

she said that saving hair was nasty but touched on saving straight hair was acceptable. She sent a clear message that our hair is nasty. She was saying that no one wants to save nappy hair and when she was talking about Sarah's kid hair she basically said it was long, soft and silky hence should be kept!
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 1:37pm On Aug 27, 2014
i was natural for 3 years and relaxed my hair on saturday. Why? It takes work to keep your natural hair looking good and healthy, wont lie, i miss my afro but i dont have the time to put work in so i got a relaxer. Do what works 4 u, it is not a sign of low self esteem.

2 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 27, 2014
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 2:34pm On Aug 27, 2014
Black woman with imitating caucasian hair hate being black

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEvL7C3NOWY
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 2:45pm On Aug 27, 2014
...and these are the reasons why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2wEiQEDLAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjovfPySiyU

It is psychological damaging to the black psyche and self-worth; when black women wear Caucasian hair attachment, uses relaxer, use synthetic weave as an imitation of white hair type. It is important that Blacks challenge this mindset by making the choice to just be themselves without the European enhancements, without the contact lenses, the damaging chemicals in their hair, and the skin lighteners. This poor choice reveals the inferiority complex in some Black women. This has permeated so deeply in our societies to the point that, an African woman with chemically damaged hair, a perm, will look at a natural haired woman and ask her how she has the guts to walk around like that in public. What a shame?
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by BlackLeopard(m): 3:07pm On Aug 27, 2014
Triczchic:

Yeah...juss saying "whether justifiable to the "judges" or not".... I rily culdn't care less about what someone thinks of the hair Iv got on. Right now, iv got my naturally & chemically retouched/relaxed hair on...not because guyz prefer it but because I feel like rocking my hair right now. Its all about my choice...afterall, no one on this thread is giving anyone a cent to look good...so no one has the right to tell anyone else off.

cool

Preach.

Kudos on good feels, you're certain rockin'. grin
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by BlackLeopard(m): 3:09pm On Aug 27, 2014
ifekemmy: To those who re abusing nl ladies pls check ur homes. Correction begins @ home!

Last bullet: bf u remove pieces of wood in ur friend's eyes, 1st of us remove d heap in ur eyes

More like check our privilege, yah there be lots checkin be done :DD Aint you ladies to be blamed for shitty eyes and too loud mouths o' us.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 3:15pm On Aug 27, 2014
Caracta: I don't wear my hair natural because the Nigerian weather isn't good on it. It breaks easily and hurts.

Most Importantly, I CHOOSE to go un-natural because I look tidy and cute when I get my hair done. I don't need to go everywhere with a comb or brush. Its economical and weather-friendly...attractive, protective and easy to maintain. It's not healthy to have your hair unprotected at all times, especially in seasons of Harmattan.

If it's about slave mentality, then why wear clothes and shoes? Afterall, your ancestors never had designer shirts and shoes.

Whoever hates it should humbly take a dive into the Mediterranean sea cheesy

u make sense dieee
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by BlackLeopard(m): 5:38pm On Aug 27, 2014
enito:

u make sense dieee

Wow another of these a*holes thinkin it be okay tell people to -die- with a post they ain't agree with

How nice of you, coward.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by cutiemoi: 5:40pm On Aug 27, 2014
ifekemmy: most Africans especially the women are not satisfied the way God intended them to be so the cook up good excuses as to why they wear false hair,false nails,false eye lashes,even false boobs and backside too.they just want to copy the white people who colonised them,they are never free,they have also lost the true identity of an African women even some men too

Truth, i love my weaving

From your picture, you have make up on, and that u equally used attached. Please try building up your own self esteem by doing away with all the fakes on you. Thanks
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by BlackLeopard(m): 5:45pm On Aug 27, 2014
Ho shit all the self esteem folk like wonderful ya all have mouths full of recommendation without knowin jack of those ladies who r not done enough with all of us and even put their beautiful hair out there for everybody ta see.

More gratitude less complainin' would sure do all us good.

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by BlackLeopard(m): 5:49pm On Aug 27, 2014
Btw guys are you all aware with those comments about how 'not Black' are the ladies in here, you're acting totally white, and denyin own race very much? Ain't a Black thing diss choices of women like that, but collonialist white BS it sure is cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Most Beautiful Model In Nigeria Finalists Emerge As Grand Finale Holds 15th Dec / 24-year-old Ajoke Tony Lawal Emerges Queen Of Nigeria Universe, Gets New Car / "Arnold Classic Muscle Building Competition" - See Muscular Women Contesting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.