Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,780 members, 7,802,410 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid (4276 Views)

National Board For Technical Education Signpost With Public Grammatical Blunder / Common Grammatical Tautologies / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Djicemob: 11:00pm On Aug 25, 2014
Even after years and years of learning it in school, grammar is just one of the things that many people don't always get right. It's hard. Words and phrases that sound fine in your head or spoken out loud
can suddenly look like gibberish when written down that is, if you've realized that you made a mistake in the first place.Below is a list of grammatical errors we often misuse wrongly and I thought it wise and helpful to share with everybody on nairaland.

1) They're vs.Their vs.There
One's a contraction for "they are" (they're), one refers to something owned by a group (their), and one refers to a place (there).You know the difference between the three-- just make sure you're triple checking thatyou're using the right ones at the right
places at the right times.

2) Your vs.You're
With these, it's the difference between
owning something and actually being something:
You made it around the track in under a minute --you're fast! How's your fast going? Are you hungry? See the difference? "Your" is possessive and "you're" is a contraction of "you are."

3) Affect vs. Effect
This one is another one of my pet peeves.
Most people confuse them when they're
talking about the change itself -- the noun -- you'll use"effect." For example: That movie had a
great effect on me. When you're talking about the act of changing -- the verb --you'll use "affect." For example: That movie affected me greatly .

4) Me vs. I
Most people understand the difference
between the two of these ... until they end
up writing a sentence with themselves and
another group. Like this sentence, for
example:
When you get done with that lab report, can you send it to Ben and I? Nope, that's wrong. Try taking Ben out of that sentence -- it sounds weird, right? You would never ask someone to send something to "I" when he or she is done.The reason it sounds weird is because "I" is the object of that sentence -- and "I" should not be used in objects. In that situation, you'd use "me." See what I mean? When you get done with that lab report, can you send it to Ben and me?
Much better.

5) Using "over" instead of "more than"
"Over is a spacial comparison. 'The bird flies over the house.' More than is appropriate for volume comparisons.''She makes more than he does per
hour,''

6) i.e. vs. e.g.
Confession: I never remember this rule, so I
have to Google it every single time I want to
use it in my writing. I'm hoping by writing
about it that the trend will stop.Lots of people use the terms interchangeably when trying to elaborate on point, but they really mean two different things. "ie." roughly means "that is" or "in other words" while "e.g." means "example given" or "for example." See the difference?One's used to clarify something you've said, while the other adds color to a story
through an example.

7) Who vs.That
This is a tricky one. These two words can
be used when you're describing someone or something through a phrase like "Linda is a blogger who likes ice cream." When you're describing a person, be sure to use "who." When you're describing an object,use "that." For example, you should say"My computer is the one that overheats all the time." It's pretty simple, but definitely something that gets overlooked frequently.

8.) Alot vs. A lot vs. Allot
Hate to break it to all of you "alot" fans out
there ... but "alot" is not a word. If you're trying to saythat someone has a vast number of things, you'd say they have a lot of things. And if you're trying to say that you've set aside a certain amount of money
to buy something, you'd say you alloted N5000 to spend on gas.

9) Into vs. In to
Last but certainly not least is the "into"
versus "in to" debate. They're often
confused, but "into" indicates movement
(Sarah walked into the office) while "in to"
is used in lots of situations because the
individual words "to" and "in" are frequently
used in other parts of a sentence. For
example, "to" is often used with infinitive
verbs (ex: to drive). Or "in" can be used as
part of a verb (ex: call in to a meeting). So
if you're trying to decide which to use, ask
yourself whether 1) either "in" or "to" fits in
with another part of the sentence, or 2) the
sentence indicates some sort of movement.
If the answers are 1) no, then 2) yes, you
should use into.

10)loose vs. lose
"Loose" is an adjective that means "not tight." When you "lose" something,however, it's no longer in your
possession.

These are just a few grammar no-no's i've picked up to share with you all.Feel free to criticize or add yours let educate ourselves.Mods lots of people need the knowledge here.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Nobody: 11:09pm On Aug 25, 2014
gone are those days we are conscious of good grammer

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Gboliwe: 11:13pm On Aug 25, 2014
Well, I have no problems with any of these you listed. But, I do have problems using "whom" and "who". Would you help talk about it a bit?

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Kingslaw(m): 11:18pm On Aug 25, 2014
Thanks for this bro.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by herkeym001(m): 11:44pm On Aug 25, 2014
Thanx a lot

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by sopoundz(m): 1:23am On Aug 26, 2014
Thanks op for d effort but I'm not guilty of such.errors
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Lailerh(f): 1:42am On Aug 26, 2014
Nice one OP smiley
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by deife(m): 2:53am On Aug 26, 2014
Impressive, OP. Way to go!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by DjAndroid: 3:18am On Aug 26, 2014
Good one
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by gift01: 3:19am On Aug 26, 2014
OP is guilty of grammer errors(using his words). Another case of blind leading the blind, thanks to ctrl+c.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Nobody: 4:03am On Aug 26, 2014
Thank you.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by kristylopezz: 4:42am On Aug 26, 2014
Thanks op for letting me know. Guilty of no 4. Gets me puzzled sometimes.

But pls try to correct your own error too and fast kiss
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by mekuzee1(m): 5:38am On Aug 26, 2014
Nice one
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by shakrullah(m): 6:47am On Aug 26, 2014
hopelink1: gone are those days we are conscious of good grammer
point of correction say when I am conscious of good grammar not when we are conscious of good grammar. bcuz we are ready to learn and improve in our knowledge.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by shakrullah(m): 6:51am On Aug 26, 2014
gift01: OP is guilty of grammer errors(using his words). Another case of blind leading the blind, thanks to ctrl+c.
next time when you want to criticize make corrective critisism not this kind of baseless fact. show us his errors so that we can also contribute.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Ojestas(m): 7:02am On Aug 26, 2014
Great job. OP
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Nobody: 7:21am On Aug 26, 2014
11. Grammar vs grammer.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Djicemob: 7:32am On Aug 26, 2014
That is why i created the thread,to be criticized and learn also.I'm just here as a linguist not as the omni-knowest,i just thought it'll be quite helpful to share with everyone here.About the title errors i can blame auto-correct for that but i take the blame for not checking it through.Thanks peeps.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by EnterPRO: 7:32am On Aug 26, 2014
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by dominique(f): 8:01am On Aug 26, 2014
I am or I'm Vs am.

Little wonder there was mass failure in English this year.

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Djicemob: 8:04am On Aug 26, 2014
Gboliwe: Well, I have no problems with any of these you listed. But, I do have problems using "whom" and "who". Would you help talk about it a bit?
The word "who" refers to a subject and the word "whom" refers to the object of a clause.
Not jst an object but the object of a clause. An easy way to remember when to use who and when to use whom is to think about the following rule.U can use the word "who" when the subject of a sentence would normally require a subject pronoun like he or she.U would only use the word "whom" when a sentence would need an object pronoun. An object pronoun are those pronouns that include the words him or her.

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by deife(m): 8:10am On Aug 26, 2014
dominique: I am or I'm Vs am.

Little wonder there was mass failure in English this year.
Dominique, It's so pathetic that so many people are guilty of that. Even in the media. SMH
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by alotofgrace(m): 8:15am On Aug 26, 2014
hw bout few and a few

little abd a little?
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Nobody: 9:57am On Aug 26, 2014
hopelink1: gone are those days we are conscious of good grammer
Gone are those days when we were conscious of good grammar

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by onymodel(m): 10:04am On Aug 26, 2014
Am and i'm
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by nwaobitex: 10:08am On Aug 26, 2014
Very informative. Thans op
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Nobody: 10:21am On Aug 26, 2014
see as people dey thank the OP, what happened to the school fees parents wasted . when una suppose to study for school una go dey waka up and down, enter cult, dey do school runs.
@OP oya collect fee from them sharp sharp !! grin

4 Likes

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Nobody: 10:23am On Aug 26, 2014
Djicemob: The word "who" refers to a subject and the word "whom" refers to the object of a clause.
Not jst an object but the object of a clause. An easy way to remember when to use who and when to use whom is to think about the following rule.U can use the word "who" when the subject of a sentence would normally require a subject pronoun like he or she.U would only use the word "whom" when a sentence would need an object pronoun. An object pronoun are those pronouns that include the words him or her.
Sorry this is even more confusing can you give examples please?

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by rad8(m): 10:28am On Aug 26, 2014
ATM Machine
Short knicker
Extreme end
using "Yet" and "still" together in a sentence
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Djicemob: 10:35am On Aug 26, 2014
iwonbaoko: Sorry this is even more confusing can you give examples please?
Use the he / him method to decide which word is correct.
he = who
him = whom
Examples:
*Who wrote the letter?
He wrote the letter.
*For whom should I vote?
Should I vote for him?

U should get it now like this.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by lirusehn(m): 10:39am On Aug 26, 2014
can sum1 tell the world to stop saying 'that is him?? '. And plz teach them the difference between who and whom??
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by TRADELYN: 10:54am On Aug 26, 2014
grin cheesy grin Interesting...

I have got so many to contribute...

Lemme ask my RESEARCH TEAM First shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top 10 Best Polytechnic In Nigeria. / Admission Into Command Secondary School 2019/2020 / 9 Things You Need To Stop Doing If You Want To Be Successful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.