Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,219 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:57 AM

10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid (4279 Views)

National Board For Technical Education Signpost With Public Grammatical Blunder / Common Grammatical Tautologies / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Nobody: 11:26am On Aug 26, 2014
One cant know all in dis so-called "English Lang" noted tho! cool
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Gboliwe: 2:34pm On Aug 26, 2014
Djicemob: The word "who" refers to a subject and the word "whom" refers to the object of a clause.
Not jst an object but the object of a clause. An easy way to remember when to use who and when to use whom is to think about the following rule.U can use the word "who" when the subject of a sentence would normally require a subject pronoun like he or she.U would only use the word "whom" when a sentence would need an object pronoun. An object pronoun are those pronouns that include the words him or her.

Thank you. But, please use sentences to further drive it home.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Raypawer(m): 3:00pm On Aug 26, 2014
intresting!
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Djicemob: 3:00pm On Aug 26, 2014
Gboliwe:

Thank you. But, please use sentences to further drive it home.
Done that already.Someone requested same and i obliged.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Gboliwe: 3:03pm On Aug 26, 2014
Djicemob: I did below.Someone requested same and i obliged.
I saw those but I still "dunget". Use more sentences, please.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Djicemob: 3:20pm On Aug 26, 2014
Gboliwe: I saw those but I still "dunget". Use more sentences, please.
We all know who/whom pulled that prank.
This sentence contains two clauses:
We all know and who / whom pulled
that prank. We are interested in the
second clause because it contains
the who / whom . 'He' pulled that
prank. Therefore, who is correct.(Remember he = who)

We want to know on who/ whom the prank was pulled.This sentence contains two clauses:We want to know and the prank was pulled on who / whom . Again, we are interested in the second clause
because it contains the who / whom .The prank was pulled on 'him'.Therefore, whom is correct.(And this..Him = whom)

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by hardbody: 3:45pm On Aug 26, 2014
Djicemob: Even after years and years of learning it in school, grammar is just one of the things that many people don't always get right. It's hard. Words and phrases that sound fine in your head or spoken out loud
can suddenly look like gibberish when written down that is, if you've realized that you made a mistake in the first place.Below is a list of grammatical errors we often misuse wrongly and I thought it wise and helpful to share with everybody on nairaland.

1) They're vs.Their vs.There
One's a contraction for "they are" (they're), one refers to something owned by a group (their), and one refers to a place (there).You know the difference between the three-- just make sure you're triple checking thatyou're using the right ones at the right
places at the right times.

2) Your vs.You're
With these, it's the difference between
owning something and actually being something:
You made it around the track in under a minute --you're fast! How's your fast going? Are you hungry? See the difference? "Your" is possessive and "you're" is a contraction of "you are."

3) Affect vs. Effect
This one is another one of my pet peeves.
Most people confuse them when they're
talking about the change itself -- the noun -- you'll use"effect." For example: That movie had a
great effect on me. When you're talking about the act of changing -- the verb --you'll use "affect." For example: That movie affected me greatly .

4) Me vs. I
Most people understand the difference
between the two of these ... until they end
up writing a sentence with themselves and
another group. Like this sentence, for
example:
When you get done with that lab report, can you send it to Ben and I? Nope, that's wrong. Try taking Ben out of that sentence -- it sounds weird, right? You would never ask someone to send something to "I" when he or she is done.The reason it sounds weird is because "I" is the object of that sentence -- and "I" should not be used in objects. In that situation, you'd use "me." See what I mean? When you get done with that lab report, can you send it to Ben and me?
Much better.

5) Using "over" instead of "more than"
"Over is a spacial comparison. 'The bird flies over the house.' More than is appropriate for volume comparisons.''She makes more than he does per
hour,''

6) i.e. vs. e.g.
Confession: I never remember this rule, so I
have to Google it every single time I want to
use it in my writing. I'm hoping by writing
about it that the trend will stop.Lots of people use the terms interchangeably when trying to elaborate on point, but they really mean two different things. "ie." roughly means "that is" or "in other words" while "e.g." means "example given" or "for example." See the difference?One's used to clarify something you've said, while the other adds color to a story
through an example.

7) Who vs.That
This is a tricky one. These two words can
be used when you're describing someone or something through a phrase like "Linda is a blogger who likes ice cream." When you're describing a person, be sure to use "who." When you're describing an object,use "that." For example, you should say"My computer is the one that overheats all the time." It's pretty simple, but definitely something that gets overlooked frequently.

8.) Alot vs. A lot vs. Allot
Hate to break it to all of you "alot" fans out
there ... but "alot" is not a word. If you're trying to saythat someone has a vast number of things, you'd say they have a lot of things. And if you're trying to say that you've set aside a certain amount of money
to buy something, you'd say you alloted N5000 to spend on gas.

9) Into vs. In to
Last but certainly not least is the "into"
versus "in to" debate. They're often
confused, but "into" indicates movement
(Sarah walked into the office) while "in to"
is used in lots of situations because the
individual words "to" and "in" are frequently
used in other parts of a sentence. For
example, "to" is often used with infinitive
verbs (ex: to drive). Or "in" can be used as
part of a verb (ex: call in to a meeting). So
if you're trying to decide which to use, ask
yourself whether 1) either "in" or "to" fits in
with another part of the sentence, or 2) the
sentence indicates some sort of movement.
If the answers are 1) no, then 2) yes, you
should use into.

10)loose vs. lose
"Loose" is an adjective that means "not tight." When you "lose" something,however, it's no longer in your
possession.

These are just a few grammar no-no's i've picked up to share with you all.Feel free to criticize or add yours let educate ourselves.Mods lots of people need the knowledge here.

These are mere basic and perhaps elementary english grammar. Thank God i have not used my personal data to read this, i would have been very annoyed.

Office things no ni.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Djicemob: 4:06pm On Aug 26, 2014
hardbody:

These are mere basic and perhaps elementary english grammar. Thank God i have not used my personal data to read this, i would have been very annoyed.

Office things no ni.
Mr smart dat is why its called "common" Grammatical errors and not complex grammatical errors.We see em as elementary grammar but we mistake them every now and then.Its much easier to get a common grammatical structure wrong than the complex one because the common structure is been used always and we tend to misuse it most times hence it has become part of our every day speech and often seen as the correct usage.That is the reason for the thread...And u couldn't comprehend this? SMH.So much for a supposedly employed fellow.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Gboliwe: 4:06pm On Aug 26, 2014
Djicemob: We all know who/whom pulled that prank.
This sentence contains two clauses:
We all know and who / whom pulled
that prank. We are interested in the
second clause because it contains
the who / whom . 'He' pulled that
prank. Therefore, who is correct.(Remember he = who)

We want to know on who/ whom the prank was pulled.This sentence contains two clauses:We want to know and the prank was pulled on who / whom . Again, we are interested in the second clause
because it contains the who / whom .The prank was pulled on 'him'.Therefore, whom is correct.(And this..Him = whom)

Thanks. This is better. Thank you again.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by dominique(f): 4:23pm On Aug 26, 2014
hardbody:

Office things no ni.

Oga, you won't believe that depth the grammatical structure of an average Nigeria has sunk to. Some people don't even know the difference between been and being, their and there, you are (you're) and your, I am (I'm) and am... I could go on and on. Little wonder over 70% of those that wrote WAEC this year failed English.

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by hardbody: 6:01pm On Aug 26, 2014
Djicemob: Mr smart dat is why its called "common" Grammatical errors and not complex grammatical errors.We see em as elementary grammar but we mistake them every now and then.Its much easier to get a common grammatical structure wrong than the complex one because the common structure is been used always and we tend to misuse it most times hence it has become part of our every day speech and often seen as the correct usage.That is the reason for the thread...And u couldn't comprehend this? SMH.So much for a supposedly employed fellow.

I understand your issues. What do you mean by ...is been used always....

As basic as this is and indeed the OP suggested this correction in at least one paragraph, you are still neck deep in English illiteracy that you still cannot and may never comprehend it.

If you ever had the misfortune of working FOR me, i would have fired you this minute.

An advice....demand for your tuition fees from your illiterate teachers and NEVER in the life of you ever join issues with me. I will thoroughly m.es.s you up.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by hardbody: 6:02pm On Aug 26, 2014
dominique:

Oga, you won't believe that depth the grammatical structure of an average Nigeria has sunk to. Some people don't even know the difference between been and being, their and there, you are (you're) and your, I am (I'm) and am... I could go on and on. Little wonder over 70% of those that wrote WAEC this year failed English.

My dear, i see you point. I was actually being a lot unserious in my earlier post. I however perfectly agree with you.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by hardbody: 6:17pm On Aug 26, 2014
Djicemob: Mr smart dat is why its called "common" Grammatical errors and not complex grammatical errors.We see em as elementary grammar but we mistake them every now and then.Its much easier to get a common grammatical structure wrong than the complex one because the common structure is been used always and we tend to misuse it most times hence it has become part of our every day speech and often seen as the correct usage.That is the reason for the thread...And u couldn't comprehend this? SMH.So much for a supposedly employed fellow.

While at it, read 'Dominique's post above. She/He even mentioned the '...been...' usage. You could still not get it.

Next time, when you want to use such phrases as 'supposedly employed', be sure to write the correct things. You may end up being the b.u.t.t of the joke. (Please note how 'being' is supposed to be used.)
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Djicemob: 6:26pm On Aug 26, 2014
hardbody:

I understand your issues. What do you mean by ...is been used always....

As basic as this is and indeed the OP suggested this correction in at least one paragraph, you are still neck deep in English illiteracy that you still cannot and may never comprehend it.

If you ever had the misfortune of working FOR me, i would have fired you this minute.

An advice....demand for your tuition fees from your illiterate teachers and NEVER in the life of you ever join issues with me. I will thoroughly m.es.s you up.
Am i "joining issues with you?" Say am doing so,what are gonna do? e-punch me in the face? Lol.You came here first and try to talk down someones effort to inform and enlighten and you wonder who is being disrespectful here.It wouldn't have cost u anything to read and ignore since you feel its elementary stuff.But u chose to talk down the whole thread which many people are finding very helpful.Well,This would be my last post to you on this cos i think having exchanges with u would seem kinda worthless so i would just be me and ignore u.Thanks.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by oluyemisee(f): 6:31pm On Aug 26, 2014
hopelink1: gone are those days we are conscious of good grammer
and dats why you've gone for 100 interviews but still haven't been called by any
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by hardbody: 6:34pm On Aug 26, 2014
Djicemob: Am i "joining issues with you?" Say am doing so,what are gonna do? e-punch me in the face? Lol.You came here first and try to talk down someones effort to inform and enlighten and you wonder who is being disrespectful here.It wouldn't have cost u anything to read and ignore since you feel its elementary stuff.But u chose to talked down the whole thread which many people found very helpful.Well,This would be my last post to you on this cos i think having exchanges with u would seem kinda worthless so i would just be me and ignore u.Thanks.

The best decision of a lifetime you just made. You saved yourself tonnes of embarrassment. I will torment you no further.

Final advice, next time, choose your battles.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Djicemob: 6:46pm On Aug 26, 2014
Funny how some people think everything is a battle.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by WanaG(m): 7:11pm On Aug 26, 2014
Gboliwe: Well, I have no problems with any of these you listed. But, I do have problems using "whom" and "who". Would you help talk about it a bit?

You use who when the referring to the subject. e.g. Who did you slap?

You use whom when referring to the object. e.g. I don't care whom you slapped.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Gboliwe: 7:14pm On Aug 26, 2014
WanaG:

You use who when the referring to the subject. e.g. Who did you slap?

You use whom when referring to the object. e.g. I don't care whom you slapped.
"...whom you slapped? For real? shocked
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Nobody: 7:26pm On Aug 26, 2014
Djicemob: Funny how some people think everything is a battle.
As within so also without. That is always true.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 26, 2014
hardbody:

An advice
....demand for your tuition fees from your illiterate teachers and NEVER in the life of you ever join issues with me. I will thoroughly m.es.s you up.

a little advice..........

NO PUN
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Nobody: 7:33pm On Aug 26, 2014
hardbody:

My dear, i see you point. I was actually being a lot unserious in my earlier post. I however perfectly agree with you.

"a lot unserious"
"however perfectly"

shocked shocked shocked
Jesus of Oyingbo!!
as in a lot of solecisms

A LOT FUNNY

3 Likes

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by hardbody: 8:13pm On Aug 26, 2014
iwonbaoko:

a little advice..........

NO PUN

you seriously believe those were corrections to be effected? Go buy yourself 'English Language Registrars'. I used that in secondary class 2, if my brain serves me correctly.

I won't indulge you beyond that. Have yourself a miserable evening.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by JustCare: 8:19pm On Aug 26, 2014
iwonbaoko:

"a lot unserious"
"however perfectly"

shocked shocked shocked
Jesus of Oyingbo!!
as in a lot of solecisms

A LOT FUNNY
I LOVE YOUR WORKS SO FAR DEAR. CHRIST TAUGHT THIS ACTUALLY. REMOVE THE LOG IN YOUR EYE BEFORE LOOKING FOR A SPECK IN YOUR NEIGHBOR'S EYE cheesy

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Nobody: 8:20pm On Aug 26, 2014
hardbody:

you seriously believe those were corrections to be effected? Go buy yourself 'English Language Registrars'. I used that in secondary class 2, if my brain serves me correctly.

I won't indulge you beyond that. Have yourself a miserable evening.
Diarisgodooooooooooo

Seriously there is a difference between those who learnt at home (effortless delivery) and those who use 'English Language Registrars' ( excruciating constructions) .

The fruits of a tree are always predictable; conflict within = conflict without.
"corrections to be effected" ? are you a contortionist? It is only a sardine that locks itself inside a tin and leaves the key outside,what is the exit strategy?

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Nobody: 8:30pm On Aug 26, 2014
Tanks op. Av learnt something
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Nobody: 9:20pm On Aug 26, 2014
oluyemisee: and dats why you've gone for 100 interviews but still haven't been called by any
thank you , CEO for central bank
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by deife(m): 9:53pm On Aug 26, 2014
@OP, please don't get discouraged. You'll definitely come across loads of destructive criticisms by some people who think they know it all.

@ Hardbody, you should grow up. You don't even write the best of English. You claimed to have studied "English Language Registrars" and according to you, it gives you the audacity to say "an advice". Gosh! You should read "Brighter Grammar". Remember, those who live in glass houses don't throw stones.

Last Bullet: I see you as grossly incorrigible and feisty. If you decide to throw tantrums like a kid and insult me, know for sure that ain't gonna respond to you(pardon my ghetto English) cos my silence is golden. Ciao!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by hardbody: 10:00pm On Aug 26, 2014
iwonbaoko: Diarisgodooooooooooo

Seriously there is a difference between those who learnt at home (effortless delivery) and those who use 'English Language Registrars' ( excruciating constructions) .

The fruits of a tree are always predictable; conflict within = conflict without.
"corrections to be effected" ? are you a contortionist? It is only a sardine that locks itself inside a tin and leaves the key outside,what is the exit strategy?

those who learnt at home....and those who use' or used'....

Go back and learn how to reconstruct tenses so that there is consistency.

Surprisingly you did not highlight typos, you came up with cliches that have no bearing with the discussion and contexts under review. Studying at home, obviously via correspondence must have its downside. And little brains like you are stupidly liking the inconsistency that you are posting. I respect this language and the owners. A lot of you are making massive fools of yourselves and are gleefully displaying your ignorance.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by hardbody: 10:03pm On Aug 26, 2014
deife: @OP, please don't get discouraged. You'll definitely come across loads of destructive criticisms by some people who think they know it all.

@ Hardbody, you should grow up. You don't even write the best of English. You claimed to have studied "English Language Registrars" and according to you, it gives you the audacity to say "an advice". Gosh! You should read "Brighter Grammar". Remember, those who live in glass houses don't throw stones.

Last Bullet: I see you as grossly incorrigible and feisty. If you decide to throw tantrums like a kid and insult me, know for sure that ain't gonna respond to you(pardon my ghetto English) cos my silence is golden. Ciao!

Having admitted that you speak and write ghetto English, I hereby spare you. Go and sin no more.
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Nobody: 10:58pm On Aug 26, 2014
grin na beneficial posts lyk dis dem supos 2 dey upload buh if u no c 'come and see dis girl unclad' or 'OMG, look @ hw dis girl expose everytin!' , etc, dem no c any beta tin 2 write. grin
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid by Gleefreak125(m): 11:20pm On Aug 26, 2014
lirusehn:
can sum1 tell the world to stop saying 'that is him?? '. And plz teach them the difference between who and whom??
Also OP, enlighten this brother on how to use "I'm & Am". He got it all wrong in his signature. No offence intended buddy. Thanks for understanding.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beautiful Pictures Of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-ife / See Beautiful Nigerian Lady Who Quits U.S Navy Job To Study Pharmacy / Federal Poly Nekede To Re-open After Months Of Closure(dates)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.