Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,079 members, 7,807,228 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:20 AM

Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc (3730 Views)

Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC / IBB Calls For Jihad Against Boko Haram - Bbc Hausa / Military Recaptured Damboa And Gwoza Hills From Boko Haram- Bbc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Nobody: 7:06am On Aug 26, 2014
Exactly a year after Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan declared a “state of emergency” in north-eastern Nigeria, it seems to have had little effect in curbing the Islamist insurgency.
Attacks by the Boko Haram group that provoked the move included an assault on a military barracks, detonating a bomb at a bus station in the northern city of Kano and the kidnap of a Frenchfamily, including four children, which grabbed the world’s attention.
The declaration would bring “extraordinary measures” to bear against the insurgents in order to “restore normalcy” to the region, the president said.
“The troops have orders to carry out all necessary actions within the ambit of their rules of engagement to put an end to the impunity of insurgents and terrorists,” President Jonathan said.
Now, after 12 months of state of emergency powers being in force, in the past few weeks Boko Haram has attacked several military bases, bombed a busy bus terminal in the capital, Abuja – twice – and launched an audacious kidnapping ofmorethan 200 schoolgirls from Chibok which has set the world on edge.
“When they declared it I thought it had to be tried,” says Habeeb Pindiga, editor of Nigeria’s Daily Trust newspaper, “but honestly it has not succeeded.”
In the year leading up to the state of emergency in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe state, there were 741 civilian death reported, according to data collected by the University of Sussex in the UK.
In the 12 months since the figure of civilian causalities has more than tripled to 2,265.
Mr Pindiga says the military has not dealt with big problems it faces.
Because of the military’s human rights record people do not trust them, plus they lack modern equipment, training andmotivation.
Attacks in the three states have increased since the emergency rule was brought in last year
Civilians do not trust the security forces deployed to the north-east
A UK military officer who has worked closely with the Nigerians says they are stuck in a Catch-22 situation.
“The trouble with the Nigerian government is that they want a big red button, which you can press and it will fix everything,” says James Hall, a retired colonel and former UK military attache to Nigeria.
“I was asked by a senior commander if we could sell them the machine that can tell if acardriving down the road contains a terrorist,” he added.
“I tried to tell them that such a machine doesn’t exist, but then they just thought we were hiding it from them.”
The UK is very wary in giving training assistance, and sales of better equipment are also problematic, he says..........
Source: BBC exclusive
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by 4Play(m): 7:27am On Aug 26, 2014
kolykoldy:

A UK military officer who has worked closely with the Nigerians says they are stuck in a Catch-22 situation.
“The trouble with the Nigerian government is that they want a big red button, which you can press and it will fix everything,” says James Hall, a retired colonel and former UK military attache to Nigeria.
“I was asked by a senior commander if we could sell them the machine that can tell if a car driving down the road contains a terrorist,” he added.
“I tried to tell them that such a machine doesn’t exist, but then they just thought we were hiding it from them.”
The UK is very wary in giving training assistance, and sales of better equipment are also problematic, he says..........

I agree that Nigerians - whether in Govt or not -are looking for simple solutions. However, this anecdote about a Nigerian asking for equipment that effectively reads minds sounds completely fabricated.

7 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Sealeddeal(m): 7:34am On Aug 26, 2014
every nation looks for a simple solution to their problem but whichever commander that asked for a machine that detect terrorist is a zombie.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by naptu2: 7:40am On Aug 26, 2014
Can you provide a link to the source?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Nobody: 7:40am On Aug 26, 2014
I thought Tinubu attack dogs said the president and military authorities are not bothered and are not doing anything about the demons called Boko Haram?

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Nobody: 7:44am On Aug 26, 2014
Soo true, the government thinks boko haram can just stop without necessary actions...too bad!
Imagine our military men lacking adequate training and modern equipments. .. embarassed

Come on Mr. President, you can do better.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Nobody: 7:47am On Aug 26, 2014
^ Is that your understanding of the article?
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by rasbaby(f): 7:58am On Aug 26, 2014
What can I say?
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by ElFenomeno1: 8:00am On Aug 26, 2014
Terrible..... shocked

What will James Hall gain by fabricating this anyway?!

Those guys are that stupid so i am not surprised.
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by ElFenomeno1: 8:02am On Aug 26, 2014
Sincere9gerian: I thought Tinubu attack dogs said the president and military authorities are not bothered and are not doing anything about the demons called Boko Haram?

You are fast becoming a nuisance...

6 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Tmtn: 8:02am On Aug 26, 2014
Funny
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by ElFenomeno1: 8:05am On Aug 26, 2014
naptu2: Can you provide a link to the source?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27396702

Go and educate yourself!
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Nobody: 8:06am On Aug 26, 2014
It is very simple. Morale is low and weaponry is old fashioned.

Daz all.
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by naptu2: 8:07am On Aug 26, 2014
ElFenomeno1:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27396702

Go and educate yourself!

What do you mean by "Go and educate yourself"?
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by ElFenomeno1: 8:10am On Aug 26, 2014
naptu2:

What do you mean by "Go and educate yourself"?

What it is.... go and read up, you will learn from the article
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by naptu2: 8:12am On Aug 26, 2014
ElFenomeno1:

What it is.... go and read up, you will learn from the article

The creator has already posted the article here. What is there to learn again?
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by ElFenomeno1: 8:18am On Aug 26, 2014
naptu2:

The creator has already posted the article here. What is there to learn again?

You asked for a link.... The creator posted an excerpt

So what are you talking about?!

If you want a link, i assume you will want to read more.... read more learn more!

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by naptu2: 8:19am On Aug 26, 2014
ElFenomeno1:

You asked for a link.... The creator posted an excerpt

So what are you talking about?!

If you want a link, i assume you will want to read more.... read more learn more!
V

I asked for a link because I wanted to recommend the thread for the front page. The mods won't put it on the front page without a link. Don't assume too much.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Nobody: 8:21am On Aug 26, 2014
Sincere9gerian: I thought Tinubu attack dogs said the president and military authorities are not bothered and are not doing anything about the demons called Boko Haram?
this nonsense you just typed has nothing to do with the topic. I will not allow you derail this thread as you always do. undecided undecided

6 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by ElFenomeno1: 8:24am On Aug 26, 2014
naptu2: V

I asked for a link because I wanted to recommend the thread for the front page. The mods won't put it on the front page without a link. Don't assume too much.

Ok. Lets end this back and forth.

#Respect

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Nobody: 8:27am On Aug 26, 2014
The FG is using ostrich approach,they want the Boko Haram menace to just disappear,without doing nothing.

I pray it by the time it has dawn on them,Boko Haram wouldn't have consumed the entire Nigeria.
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by rattlesnake(m): 8:33am On Aug 26, 2014
“I was asked by a senior commander if we could sell them the machine that can tell if acardriving down the road contains a terrorist,” he added.

Hehehehe...joke a big joke
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Howmanage: 8:34am On Aug 26, 2014
kolykoldy:
“I was asked by a senior commander if we could sell them the machine that can tell if acardriving down the road contains a terrorist ,” he added.

. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Look at what a senior army commander was asking cheesy Btw Jona doesn't want Boko Haram to end, there will be no voting come 2015 in those BH ravaged places thereby reducing Northern votes against him

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by dBard: 10:09am On Aug 26, 2014
4Play:

I agree that Nigerians - whether in Govt or not -are looking for simple solutions. However, this anecdote about a Nigerian asking for equipment that effectively reads minds sounds completely fabricated.

You might be surprised.
The same Nigerians that caused d temp scarcity of kolanuts n in a day, consumed some states 6 month supply of salt....

I won't put it past them..
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by EasternLeopard: 10:24am On Aug 26, 2014
MarvellousGod: Soo true, the government thinks boko haram can just stop without necessary actions...too bad!
Imagine our military men lacking adequate training and modern equipments. .. embarassed

Come on Mr. President, you can do better.

The military armoury looted by BH at Gwazo contains stones arrows cutlasses sticks etc

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by EasternLeopard: 10:25am On Aug 26, 2014
ElFenomeno1:

You are fast becoming a nuisance...

And you are slowly becoming ...............
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by EasternLeopard: 10:26am On Aug 26, 2014
pDude: It is very simple. Morale is low and weaponry is old fashioned.

Daz all.

Yet Ihejirika was able to contain them

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by ElFenomeno1: 10:28am On Aug 26, 2014
EasternLeopard:

And you are slowly becoming ...............

Eat a di....ck you di....ck riding fa////////ot
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by lilprinze: 10:30am On Aug 26, 2014
booked
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by EasternLeopard: 10:32am On Aug 26, 2014
ElFenomeno1:

Eat a di....ck you di....ck riding fa////////ot

So that is what you are slowly becoming

Eyaaaaaa

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Nobody: 10:43am On Aug 26, 2014
EasternLeopard:

The military armoury looted by BH at Gwazo contains stones arrows cutlasses sticks etc

So tongue in cheek lol. You forgot to mention catapult. Boko Haram has been fighting NA mostly with weapons stolen from them. They are not more armed than the NA
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Arosa(m): 10:47am On Aug 26, 2014
I think it's time to invite the US to bring in the drones, just like in pakistan.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ahead 2015 General Elections Fashola Hits FG, TAN In A Very Hard Way / INEC, Jonathan Conniving To Rig 2015 Elections, Says Bola Tinubu / Ntai Currently Airing A Documentary On The Various Atrocities Of Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.