Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,916 members, 7,806,662 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? (13885 Views)

Guy Accidentally Pays N1.2Million For A Plate Of Amala And Soup / How Can I Prepare Amala? / Amala And Gbegiri Lovers` Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AloyEmeka9: 4:36pm On Oct 24, 2008
why do many igbos fear to eat amala?. That food na helele . I know it's the colour that is scaring my people but just forget that colour and enjoy a new world of yum yum dum dum.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by spikedcylinder: 6:02pm On Oct 24, 2008
lol! :d
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by omoge(f): 6:39pm On Oct 24, 2008
a good amala, the one made from dried green plantain is one lovely meal. . . so good with efo(spinach soup with lots of shrimps and kpanla) heavenly blessings cheesy
but after the 3rd swallow of amala, am full already grin grin
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Gamine(f): 7:36pm On Oct 25, 2008

i need to know oo, because i noticed this in my camp, they avoided amala like a plague lipsrsealed grin
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by ifyalways(f): 11:29pm On Oct 25, 2008
Personal preferences and choice.Even some igbos don't eat "akpu " so
Me i eat amala but ONLY with ewedu and stew with lots of shaki,egunfe,kpomo,roundabout and better kpanla.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by iceland(m): 10:27am On Oct 26, 2008
ifyalways:

Me i eat amala but ONLY with ewedu and stew with lots of shaki,egunfe,kpomo,roundabout and better kpanla.
How often do u eat these?Hmmm if you go too fat you are on your own o!God sef no go answer your prayer for Husband.Cos with your mouth you . . . . . . . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Small-small abeg!
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by MrCrackles(m): 10:36am On Oct 26, 2008
ifyalways:

kai, i would avoid women like you like an epidemic! grin

food prefect!!
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Gamine(f): 3:20pm On Oct 26, 2008
It seems to me, like it was more than personal preference

how can, out of 100 Igbo people

5, are eating because they like it

10, are eating because if not, they will die of hunger.

85, wont even look at it, talk more eat it.

They were asking for "white" amala, which amala in this world is White? undecided undecided
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Pepeye(f): 4:58pm On Oct 26, 2008
Most peep do love amala irrespective of tribe, it’s the ewedu that’s the issue most ibo’s avoid the soup cos of too much oil
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by nana(f): 5:54pm On Oct 26, 2008
Pepeye:

Most peep do love amala irrespective of tribe, it’s the ewedu that’s the issue most ibo’s avoid the soup because of too much oil
Oil in ewedu? Hmm,odikwa serious.

Not only igbos dont like amala. My bf doesn't like amala as well and he is a yoruba guy.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by tpia: 10:01pm On Oct 26, 2008
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AloyEmeka9: 6:57am On Oct 27, 2008
i need to know oo, because i noticed this in my camp, they avoided amala like a plague

It's not only igbos that avoid amala like plague. How many hausas eat it?. I just know that many igbos don't eat it because it looks like crap, trust me the colour is not inviting if you were not born eating it. Some also claim amala is not processed hygienically because it's from the back of yam that gets mixed accidentally with bird droppings during dessication. Every reason given so far is more psychological besides most of those igbos you met in camp probably grew up in the east, north or lagos . igbos that try it at all mostly grew up in Ibadan, akure etc but 90% of the ones you see walking around in lagos will not touch that thing with a 10 foot pole.I eat it because I naturally like food and am not afraid to eat whatever except ewedu or yoruba okro soup. I hate yoruba okro soup because it looks like sputum/phlegm; i can oly eat them if you mix it with the stew before showing them to me . I do travel around too so the sooner I get used to eating anything, the better for me. I won't forget the night I ate something in the family of lizard in some village about 100 KM east of Bangkok. My friends purged, hated themselves but I remained cool as a cucumber.

Did you camp in the west because that's where they sell that amala stuff in camp cafes but they cannot serve you amala in any NYSC camp as food for corpers unless they just started. I also love starch, Benin style.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AloyEmeka9: 6:59am On Oct 27, 2008
kai, i would avoid women like you like an epidemic! Grin

food prefect!!
Why?
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AloyEmeka9: 7:21am On Oct 27, 2008

Not only igbos don't like amala. My boyfriend doesn't like amala as well and he is a yoruba guy.
We are talking about percentage here. Your bobo fit be butter or he just hates it and that will make him a minority among the Yorubas. Na every igbo person dey chop ogbono and okporoko?. My elder does not eat anything that is swallowed.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Gamine(f): 10:18am On Oct 27, 2008
Funny Thing,

My Camp was in the North, but the majority were Igbo

and Yes, they served it from the Camp kitchen.

how did i know?some friends in the platoon working that day in the kitchen told us

i guess, they didnt make it again sha.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by tpia: 1:35pm On Oct 27, 2008
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by omoge(f): 3:44pm On Oct 27, 2008
how many nigerian food is/are hygienic anyway? no matter where you go most food are not hygienic. those suya you all loved, do you know how it was prepared? some do not even wash their hands after shitting and run to come slice the suya for us to eat. honestly i don't see any food that is hygenic in niaja unless the food your mama is cooking maybe.

i once stayed with an auntyI would say oh Jesus at the way she allowed her Akpu to ferment.
those tea by my mallam bobo, do you know how many flies are at the bottom of the tea panu? yet people loved it.
again hygiene is a general problem in africa truth be said.

as a child i don't like amala for the dark color. although, today i can eat a small amt of the Green Plantain amala.

tpia, those burgers oversea  lipsrsealed
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Phemour: 4:11pm On Oct 27, 2008
Igbos eat White (FUFU) so dey must be afraid of Black.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by tpia: 4:38pm On Oct 27, 2008
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Ifygurl: 6:32am On Oct 28, 2008
What Amala? I'm not sure if i've heard of it?

Is it made out of plantain.

Is this it?

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Gamine(f): 11:40am On Oct 28, 2008
lol.

What are all those leaves on it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AloyEmeka9: 6:41pm On Oct 28, 2008
here we go again.

I used to work somewhere ABROAD where we saw a small cockroach in the ice cream machine one day.

Should I say the ice cream sold in stores is likely to be mixed with cockroach?

na wa for you tribalists.
This idiot is here again. I gave popular reasons I hear from igbos all the time and he is turning it into something else. This is not tribalist section and I don not have your time this evening. I think it's your career in McDonalds or burger king ABROAD that is killing you and I am not the curse. Blame the Nigerian government for turning you into a beast of burden abroad. Ha hahaha

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AloyEmeka9: 6:44pm On Oct 28, 2008
What Amala? I'm not sure if i've heard of it?

Is it made out of plantain.

Is this it?
You grew up in the East or North?. It's a delicacy in the west. Igbos have theirs too but they do it with short bananas mostly eaten by diabetic patients. They picture above is amala enhanced with high pixel cos it's darker than that.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AloyEmeka9: 6:46pm On Oct 28, 2008
Funny Thing,

My Camp was in the North, but the majority were Igbo

and Yes, they served it from the Camp kitchen.

how did i know?some friends in the platoon working that day in the kitchen told us

i guess, they didnt make it again sha.
The contractor cannot serve such in NYSC kitchen. It could be on of those arrangee food they bring in the Ref once in a while and that was why you didn't see them serve it again. Garri is a general food eaten by all and sundry in Nigeria.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Moyola(f): 6:52pm On Oct 28, 2008
dia choice abi? undecided
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by tpia: 6:57pm On Oct 28, 2008
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AloyEmeka9: 7:10pm On Oct 28, 2008
you must be under the delusion that your goatish genes are common therefore everyone has them. Sorry, not everyone is a goat like you.

In this day and age, you came out of your cave to act like you never heard of amala in your life, and that the amala you eat in your house was made from yam peelings and mixed with bird droppings.

Now you're getting fussy because you left home with your fly open.

idiot. What else did you "discover" about these Yorubas from Jupiter
Go back to McDonalds and continue serving your cockroach infested coffee. I am not responsible for your frustration in life. You do need help seriously.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by tpia: 7:13pm On Oct 28, 2008
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Gamine(f): 8:27pm On Oct 28, 2008
@ALoy

Han han, Did you go to camp with me? undecided

i said they served this thing and the Igbos were complaining.

thats why they didnt do it again
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by KarmaMod(f): 8:37pm On Oct 28, 2008
idiot. What else did you "discover" about these Yorubas from Jupiter?

grin

The fact that people would avoid food cos of color says alot. Amala is black so something must be wrong. Lol I knew Nigerians were obsessed with "lightskinned" things but I didnt know it went as far as food

and people not liking amala cos of ewudu? Is there a law stating that a person must eat it with ewudu? I dont.

dont know how people can run from amala yet like that vomit know as egusi soup.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by tpia: 11:01pm On Oct 28, 2008
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by omoge(f): 11:43pm On Oct 28, 2008
tpia really? smiley

i like the plantain type because of the dark color

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please What Is The Yoruba Name Or Igbo Names Of These Fruits? / I Ate Fufu For The First Time! / 6 Foods You Can Cook In A Microwave To Make Your Life Easier-

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.