Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,918 members, 7,806,668 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:26 PM

BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister (32481 Views)

BREAKING: Nigeria Records New Ebola Cases / The Things Ebola Has/would Cause.*with PHOTOS * / See What Ebola Has Caused In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by Songitto(m): 10:34pm On Aug 26, 2014
Good news, and glory be to almighty God, Ebola listen very well nigeria is not your home, pack your loads and never near us again, ka'ma pade mo ooo
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by Nobody: 10:46pm On Aug 26, 2014
Its not one case its zero cases.

I said all along that whole Ebola epidemic is a hoax

Rabies facts from W.H.O.

Fact Sheet N°99
Updated August 2014

Key facts

Rabies occurs in more than 150 countries and territories.
More than 60 000 people die of rabies every year mostly in Asia and Africa.
40% of people who are bitten by suspect rabid animals are children under 15 years of age.
Dogs are the source of the vast majority of human rabies deaths.
Wound cleansing and immunization within a few hours after contact with a suspect rabid animal can prevent the onset of rabies and death.
Every year, approximately 29 million people worldwide receive a post-exposure vaccination to prevent the disease at an estimated cost of US$2.1 billion.
Rabies is a zoonotic disease (a disease that is transmitted to humans from animals) that is caused by a virus. The disease affects domestic and wild animals, and is spread to people through close contact with infectious material, usually saliva, via bites or scratches.

Rabies is present on all continents with the exception of Antarctica, but more than 95% of human deaths occur in Asia and Africa. Once symptoms of the disease develop, rabies is nearly always fatal. Rabies is a neglected disease of poor and vulnerable populations whose deaths are rarely reported. It occurs mainly in remote rural communities where measures to prevent dog to human transmission have not been implemented.

More than 100 countries report cases of rabies in dogs putting people at risk. Vaccinating at least 70% of dogs breaks the cycle of transmission in dogs and to humans. Safe, efficacious and affordable dog rabies vaccines are available, and countries embarking on rabies elimination need easy access to quality-assured dog vaccines for vaccination campaigns and for outbreak management.

Symptoms
The incubation period for rabies is typically 1–3 months, but may vary from <1 week to >1 year. The initial symptoms of rabies are fever and often pain or an unusual or unexplained tingling, pricking or burning sensation (paraesthesia) at the wound site.

As the virus spreads through the central nervous system, progressive, fatal inflammation of the brain and spinal cord develops.

Two forms of the disease can follow. People with furious rabies exhibit signs of hyperactivity, excited behaviour, hydrophobia and sometimes aerophobia. After a few days, death occurs by cardio-respiratory arrest.

Paralytic rabies accounts for about 30% of the total number of human cases. This form of rabies runs a less dramatic and usually longer course than the furious form. The muscles gradually become paralyzed, starting at the site of the bite or scratch. A coma slowly develops, and eventually death occurs. The paralytic form of rabies is often misdiagnosed, contributing to the under-reporting of the disease.

Diagnosis
No tests are available to diagnose rabies infection in humans before the onset of clinical disease, and unless the rabies-specific signs of hydrophobia or aerophobia are present, the clinical diagnosis may be difficult. Human rabies can be confirmed intra-vitam and post mortem by various diagnostic techniques aimed at detecting the whole virus, viral antigens, viral-specific antibodies in the cerebrospinal fluid, or nucleic acids in infected tissues (brain, skin, urine or saliva).

Transmission
People are usually infected following a deep bite or scratch by an infected animal. Dogs are the main host and transmitter of rabies. They are the source of infection in all of the estimated 50 000 human rabies deaths annually in Asia and Africa.

Bats are the source of most human rabies deaths in the Americas. Bat rabies has also recently emerged as a public health threat in Australia and western Europe. Human deaths following exposure to foxes, raccoons, skunks, jackals, mongooses and other wild carnivore host species are very rare.

Transmission can also occur when infectious material – usually saliva – comes into direct contact with human mucosa or fresh skin wounds. Human-to-human transmission by bite is theoretically possible but has never been confirmed. Changes in the environment and close human contact with wildlife can lead to increased human exposure to rabies-infected wildlife species.

Rarely, rabies may be contracted by inhalation of virus-containing aerosol or via transplantation of an infected organ. Ingestion of raw meat or other tissues from animals infected with rabies is not a source of human infection.
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by bamite(m): 10:50pm On Aug 26, 2014
tsquaure: Let's start d very beginning. Thumbs down to the ministry of health who were aware that the epidemic was ravaging parts of west africa but did absolutely nothing until d index case came into nigeria. Thumbs up to the mgt team especially doc ameyo who informed lagos state about d sawyer. Despite the fact that they knew it may cause their hosp to be shut down and staff quarantined. Thumbs up to Lagos state for taking action n not folding their arms despite the docs strike .appreciation goes all d volunteers who walked where even angels dread. Special mention must go to the one who started d salt rumour . I hope u are ashamed wherever u are. As for the minister whose delight is to inform wheather or not he is very sure, we dey siddon look. May d souls of d departed rest in peace.
and u think u've made sence??
smh
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by JuanDeDios: 10:51pm On Aug 26, 2014
rickkid:
If this headline was "Ebola Patient Dies in Lagos", BBC World would have Andrew Harding reporting live right now from Ikoyi with screen flashes of the number of dead patients from Nigeria.

When we tell you people that these guys are not your friends you'll be saying something else.
And the both of you have bothered to confirm this wasn't on the BBC? No. The BBC hates your wonderful country and its fantastic government.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by Nobody: 10:56pm On Aug 26, 2014
JuanDeDios:
And the both of you have bothered to confirm this wasn't on the BBC? No. The BBC hates your wonderful country and its fantastic government.
Actually yes, I did confirm. I had BBC World on and I checked every BBC News website. None carried it.
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by cococandy(f): 10:59pm On Aug 26, 2014
If that one person is still alive and showing symptoms,then it is not curbed yet.
Anything can happen
A doctor,nurse or ward maid can get careless and take the virus home.

So fingers crossed.
Pre-mature celebration
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by cococandy(f): 11:02pm On Aug 26, 2014
When will you get sense?
No offense.
Ebola a hoax?
Na wa sha. And you're proudly saying it all over the forum. So we should get careless about ebola because rabies exists?.
GenBuhari: Its not one case its zero cases.

I said all along that whole Ebola epidemic is a hoax

Rabies facts from W.H.O.

Fact Sheet N°99
Updated August 2014

Key facts

Rabies occurs in more than 150 countries and territories.
More than 60 000 people die of rabies every year mostly in Asia and Africa.
40% of people who are bitten by suspect rabid animals are children under 15 years of age.
Dogs are the source of the vast majority of human rabies deaths.
Wound cleansing and immunization within a few hours after contact with a suspect rabid animal can prevent the onset of rabies and death.
Every year, approximately 29 million people worldwide receive a post-exposure vaccination to prevent the disease at an estimated cost of US$2.1 billion.
Rabies is a zoonotic disease (a disease that is transmitted to humans from animals) that is caused by a virus. The disease affects domestic and wild animals, and is spread to people through close contact with infectious material, usually saliva, via bites or scratches.

Rabies is present on all continents with the exception of Antarctica, but more than 95% of human deaths occur in Asia and Africa. Once symptoms of the disease develop, rabies is nearly always fatal. Rabies is a neglected disease of poor and vulnerable populations whose deaths are rarely reported. It occurs mainly in remote rural communities where measures to prevent dog to human transmission have not been implemented.

More than 100 countries report cases of rabies in dogs putting people at risk. Vaccinating at least 70% of dogs breaks the cycle of transmission in dogs and to humans. Safe, efficacious and affordable dog rabies vaccines are available, and countries embarking on rabies elimination need easy access to quality-assured dog vaccines for vaccination campaigns and for outbreak management.

Symptoms
The incubation period for rabies is typically 1–3 months, but may vary from <1 week to >1 year. The initial symptoms of rabies are fever and often pain or an unusual or unexplained tingling, pricking or burning sensation (paraesthesia) at the wound site.

As the virus spreads through the central nervous system, progressive, fatal inflammation of the brain and spinal cord develops.

Two forms of the disease can follow. People with furious rabies exhibit signs of hyperactivity, excited behaviour, hydrophobia and sometimes aerophobia. After a few days, death occurs by cardio-respiratory arrest.

Paralytic rabies accounts for about 30% of the total number of human cases. This form of rabies runs a less dramatic and usually longer course than the furious form. The muscles gradually become paralyzed, starting at the site of the bite or scratch. A coma slowly develops, and eventually death occurs. The paralytic form of rabies is often misdiagnosed, contributing to the under-reporting of the disease.

Diagnosis
No tests are available to diagnose rabies infection in humans before the onset of clinical disease, and unless the rabies-specific signs of hydrophobia or aerophobia are present, the clinical diagnosis may be difficult. Human rabies can be confirmed intra-vitam and post mortem by various diagnostic techniques aimed at detecting the whole virus, viral antigens, viral-specific antibodies in the cerebrospinal fluid, or nucleic acids in infected tissues (brain, skin, urine or saliva).

Transmission
People are usually infected following a deep bite or scratch by an infected animal. Dogs are the main host and transmitter of rabies. They are the source of infection in all of the estimated 50 000 human rabies deaths annually in Asia and Africa.

Bats are the source of most human rabies deaths in the Americas. Bat rabies has also recently emerged as a public health threat in Australia and western Europe. Human deaths following exposure to foxes, raccoons, skunks, jackals, mongooses and other wild carnivore host species are very rare.

Transmission can also occur when infectious material – usually saliva – comes into direct contact with human mucosa or fresh skin wounds. Human-to-human transmission by bite is theoretically possible but has never been confirmed. Changes in the environment and close human contact with wildlife can lead to increased human exposure to rabies-infected wildlife species.

Rarely, rabies may be contracted by inhalation of virus-containing aerosol or via transplantation of an infected organ. Ingestion of raw meat or other tissues from animals infected with rabies is not a source of human infection.

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by remzytimer: 11:09pm On Aug 26, 2014
I was an advocate for the doctors before they fall my hands and fail all Nigerian, at least for National emergency they should have called off the strike, if truely they people at mind as they claim...TO ALL NIGERIAN, KEEP SERVING GOD RIGHTEOUSLY, GOD LOVES US AND HE DOMICILE HERE AMONG US, THAT IS WHY THERE IS STILL NIGERIA TILL TOMORROW...many thought an end has come to our great Nation and yet God in his infinite mercy vindicate us...WE GIVE YOU ALL THE GLORY, WE GIVE YOU HONOUR, WE GIVE YOU ALL THE GLORY WE GIVE YOU HONOUR....Singing and dancing to the greatest physician!
desgiezd:

Seems you have forgotten, so soon, that in spite of the strike action, some doctors volunteered to offer their services.

By the way, can we just continue to live our lives and do away with our doctors?

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by Blockus: 11:12pm On Aug 26, 2014
MissMeiya:

I doubt if anyone recognized the sarcasm.

Really!!!

But late Doctor Ada that died was a Doctor Na.. undecided

Okay!! If indeed people missed the sarcasm, then I think I should be in Politics. undecided
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by bamite(m): 11:13pm On Aug 26, 2014
cococandy: If that one person is still alive and showing symptoms,then it is not curbed yet.
Anything can happen
A doctor,nurse or ward maid can get careless and take the virus home.

So fingers crossed.
Pre-mature celebration
girls can be fine sha
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by gidjah(m): 11:14pm On Aug 26, 2014
vedd: We were told that Adadevoh has been discharged with a clean bill of health before we lost her.
YESO!didntreally thinkshediedof that virus thing,but stresscoupled wit familly/societal shame
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by Nobody: 11:18pm On Aug 26, 2014
Blockus:

Really!!!

But late Doctor Ada that died was a Doctor Na.. undecided

Okay!! If indeed people missed the sarcasm, then I think I should be in Politics. undecided

Indeed.
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by seedorfg(m): 11:20pm On Aug 26, 2014
No more Salt and Iru Again grin
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by cococandy(f): 11:24pm On Aug 26, 2014
smiley smiley
bamite: girls can be fine sha
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by ojtopsy: 11:32pm On Aug 26, 2014
bamite: and u think u've made sence??
smh
If that piece does not make sense, I don't know what makes sense to you. We folded our arms until a lunatic brought it to us knowing fully well that our distant neighbors cases were in chaos. Haba can't the health minister be proactive. In a saner environment he should be jailed for negligence. Trust the koreans they would have dealth with him.
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by poiZon: 11:39pm On Aug 26, 2014
Idrismusty97: Successfully? undecided This is what premium times have to say.
Have we even closed our borders? Or at lest imposed strict border control? Reporting at this early stage of a so called victory against ebola is a primitive thinking. This may come back to haunt those who publicly declared victory. Remeber the "We have rescue all the kidnapped girls" moment.

Ebola don go, e don go.
cant u see d boko boys don resume work?
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by leo1234(m): 11:40pm On Aug 26, 2014
Blockus:

You saw my User i.d right?! grin

Dude... You needs to smoke some weed and chill the fhuck out. Life aint that serious. grin
Blockus
grin
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by Nobody: 11:42pm On Aug 26, 2014
Nobody says don't take precautions ooh! - I am just saying to not panic and be aware that you are being scammed.

I posted about rabies to show that the Ebola epidemic is a propaganda because they should far more concern for Rabies, Influenza etc.

If someone is trying to deceive my people, and I learn about it, it is my duty to let them know.

Ebola virus is probably a hoax (may not even exist at all).

But what is a certainty is that the epidemic is a hoax and propaganda to panic Africans and to disadvantage us in some way - time will tell.

cococandy: When will you get sense?
No offense.
Ebola a hoax?
Na wa sha. And you're proudly saying it all over the forum. So we should get careless about ebola because rabies exists?.
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by poiZon: 11:43pm On Aug 26, 2014
jideomowunmi:

And we did it without a Single Doctor.. grin

FHUCK the NMA, Nigerian Doctors and their Sponsors THE APC.. angry

I used to think I am d only one d doctors are annoying ooo...as in...my respect for dem has practically dropped to 1%.....

who needs doctor wen oga chemist dey.....
oga abeg mix 100 .naira ebola drugs for me add one dose of jackie for mental strenght incase bissie arrive for late night show.
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by piagetskinner(m): 11:43pm On Aug 26, 2014
I hope proper measures were taken to enable their discharge#to avoid stories that touch
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by leo1234(m): 11:44pm On Aug 26, 2014
cococandy: When will you get sense?
No offense.
Ebola a hoax?
Some people should not be taken serious.
Didn't u see the moniker?

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by jideomowunmi(f): 11:48pm On Aug 26, 2014
poiZon:

who needs doctor wen oga chemist dey.....
oga abeg mix 100 .naira ebola drugs for me add one dose of jackie for mental strenght incase bissie arrive for late night show.

Lmfao.... grin grin
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by anytaij: 11:53pm On Aug 26, 2014
vedd: We were told that Adadevoh has been discharged with a clean bill of health before we lost her.

WHO even said it that those America patient that was discharged can still be infectious.
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by jerryjere(m): 11:58pm On Aug 26, 2014
berem: Meaning we should start eating bush meat again? Thank God o!
don't worry include fruits bat
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by Nobody: 12:22am On Aug 27, 2014
Nobleval: I know. I feel it...I don't need a prophet to tell me.

There is a way out
Start saying you will live long and healthy...and happy
Start believing it

Let these thoughts be like a mantra
It will be like that

You attract what you think
Think life, not death

I am sorry if I sounded too preachy lipsrsealed
Cheers

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by easystudy101: 1:49am On Aug 27, 2014

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by DrLuv: 4:46am On Aug 27, 2014
try not to believe everything the media pours out,most of what the media pours out are edited version from the government particularly any news that will promote government image and cover up the FG inadequacies.u need to be in the system before u conclusively believe them
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by Keypha(m): 6:00am On Aug 27, 2014
I love this my country Nigeria, our doctor treat them without USA drug, shame to Ghana they too hide anything that happen in there country, ebola dey ghana but they are hiding it, that why there doctor tell m true to stop hiding ebola victims, 9ja too much.
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by Nobody: 6:04am On Aug 27, 2014
una know say anything wey reach Naija dey different.

Make dem no too trust that ebola oo!

Other country own fit obey the 21 incubation period, but Naija own fit get tactics!

Naija-ebola fit don trick us, come grow to 100 day incubation!

Anyway, weldone Mr. Health Minister! Weldone oga Presido!

Una do well!
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by jacksparo4: 6:16am On Aug 27, 2014
Blockus: grin

And we did it without a Single Doctor.. grin

FHUCK the NMA, Nigerian Doctors and their Sponsors THE APC.. angry

GEJ till the Nigerian Flag changes to Yellow White Yellow..

#NIGERIANS.. We dont Die, We multiply. angry
pls how was it done?
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by jacksparo4: 6:18am On Aug 27, 2014
thumbs up Nigeria
Re: BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister by phemmie06(m): 6:51am On Aug 27, 2014
hope there wont be contracdicting statement from LASGCH

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

New Photos Of Man Who Had Tumor On His Neck & Was Treated Abroad / Newly Married Final Year Student Dies During Child Birth / Timi Dakolo Raises Alarm Over Surge Of Black Soot In Port Harcourt (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.