Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:20 PM

Querying Documents In Excel Into Html??? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Querying Documents In Excel Into Html??? (1611 Views)

IPS Training Series: Animation In Ms Excel (how To Animate Data/chart In Excel) / Who Build A Cash Daily Buying And Selling Programm In Excel / How To Convert Numbers To Words In Excel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Querying Documents In Excel Into Html??? by supercharged: 8:14pm On Aug 26, 2014
Gurus in the house, is there any way that i can query data that is in excel to appear in to a html web page?
Re: Querying Documents In Excel Into Html??? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Aug 26, 2014
Hmn, i believe i discussed that somewhere on my blog not too long ago, let me see

One of the constant headaches of developers especially when dealing with applications that will require massive data upload such as stock exchange data, school results, name list, mailing lists and other spreadsheets is how to import these data directly into the database or at least convert it into an array and do whatever you wish to after that.
There are many classes that can handle this online, however, there are PROs and CONs to using these classes. I have found out from experience that PHPExcel is simply one of the best classes to handle this. This library can read do a lot of work, however, I am focusing on the ability to read excel data (CSV,XLS,XLSX) into PHP arrays - both active worksheet and entire worksheets.

Read more here - http://dhtmlhub.com/blogs/15

Re: Querying Documents In Excel Into Html??? by uken73(m): 3:17pm On Aug 30, 2014
supercharged: Gurus in the house, is there any way that i can query data that is in excel to appear in to a html web page?
It definitely can be done. But you didn't indicate what platform/language you wish to use so that you can get help from the right people who are knowledgeable with your preferred tool set.
Re: Querying Documents In Excel Into Html??? by supercharged: 11:53am On Aug 31, 2014
uken73:
It definitely can be done. But you didn't indicate what platform/language you wish to use so that you can get help from the right people who are knowledgeable with your preferred tool set.

Preferably php along side mySQL. My thot is to querry the data from excel into a mySQL database.
Re: Querying Documents In Excel Into Html??? by uken73(m): 11:59am On Aug 31, 2014
supercharged:

Preferably php along side mySQL. My thot is to querry the data from excel into a mySQL database.
Now that you've defined the areas of assistance better, the PHP/MySQL experts should be able to help you. I'm not into PHP/MySQL.
Re: Querying Documents In Excel Into Html??? by supercharged: 4:18pm On Aug 31, 2014
uken73:
Now that you've defined the areas of assistance better, the PHP/MySQL experts should be able to help you. I'm not into PHP/MySQL.

Your own idea might shed some light. What language do u use?
Re: Querying Documents In Excel Into Html??? by uken73(m): 4:47pm On Aug 31, 2014
supercharged:

Your own idea might shed some light. What language do u use?
I currently use mostly VB.NET. But other languages I have knowledge of include Java, C#.NET & C++(been ages I last did a project on that). I had used Oracle PL/SQL for my final year project but have not done anything with it since then.

In VB you would reference an appropriate library (Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel) for excel manipulations

'Following are code snippets to access Excel

Imports Microsoft.Office.Interop 'Importing of supporting library for Microsoft Office operations

Dim exApp As Excel.Application = New Excel.Application() 'Create an excel application object
Dim wkbook As Excel.Workbook = exApp.Workbooks.Open("c:\excelfile.xls", , True) 'Open the excel file
Dim BroadSheet As Excel.Worksheet = wkbook.Worksheets("BroadSheet"wink 'Select a particular worksheet to work on.
Dim cell As Excel.Range = BroadSheet.Cells(1, 2) 'select a cell at row 1, column 2
cell.Value = "some value" 'set a new value to the selected cell
Dim cellValue as String=cell.value 'read the value from the selected cell.

'following requests releases of resources held by the variables by invoking a method named releaseObject.

releaseObject(exApp)
releaseObject(wkbook)
releaseObject(BroadSheet)

'Implemention of the release object method
Private Shared Sub releaseObject(ByVal obj As Object)
Try
System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(obj)
obj = Nothing
Catch ex As Exception
obj = Nothing
Finally
GC.Collect()
End Try
End Sub
Re: Querying Documents In Excel Into Html??? by asalimpo(m): 11:38pm On Aug 31, 2014
^^^
Conceptually,it seems there's no difference btw vb and other mainstream imperative languages (java,c#,python).
Nothing = null
End = delimiter( {} ).
Etc.

The syntax is just bloated up to reduce the fright factor for learners. (Beginners are mor comfortable with vb than other languages)
Re: Querying Documents In Excel Into Html??? by supercharged: 11:07am On Sep 01, 2014
uken73:
I currently use mostly VB.NET. But other languages I have knowledge of include Java, C#.NET & C++(been ages I last did a project on that). I had used Oracle PL/SQL for my final year project but have not done anything with it since then.

In VB you would reference an appropriate library (Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel) for excel manipulations

'Following are code snippets to access Excel

Imports Microsoft.Office.Interop 'Importing of supporting library for Microsoft Office operations

Dim exApp As Excel.Application = New Excel.Application() 'Create an excel application object
Dim wkbook As Excel.Workbook = exApp.Workbooks.Open("c:\excelfile.xls", , True) 'Open the excel file
Dim BroadSheet As Excel.Worksheet = wkbook.Worksheets("BroadSheet"wink 'Select a particular worksheet to work on.
Dim cell As Excel.Range = BroadSheet.Cells(1, 2) 'select a cell at row 1, column 2
cell.Value = "some value" 'set a new value to the selected cell
Dim cellValue as String=cell.value 'read the value from the selected cell.

'following requests releases of resources held by the variables by invoking a method named releaseObject.

releaseObject(exApp)
releaseObject(wkbook)
releaseObject(BroadSheet)

'Implemention of the release object method
Private Shared Sub releaseObject(ByVal obj As Object)
Try
System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(obj)
obj = Nothing
Catch ex As Exception
obj = Nothing
Finally
GC.Collect()
End Try
End Sub

This is a good heads up. I'll have to research on vb. i think the last time i used it was in my second year... but i believe sql will be smoother
Re: Querying Documents In Excel Into Html??? by uken73(m): 11:16am On Sep 01, 2014
supercharged:

This is a good heads up. I'll have to research on vb. i think the last time i used it was in my second year... but i believe sql will be smoother
Mind you, that is actually VB.NET. I believe libraries for PHP also exists. I guess that is what dhtml18 is talking about in his post.
Re: Querying Documents In Excel Into Html??? by Euroadams: 11:21am On Sep 09, 2016
Hmmm

(1) (Reply)

Pin Pals App Now In Top 10 Social :D / I Am Offering To Work On Two Website For Free To Boost My Portfolio / How Can I Hack A Gmail Account Using Inspecting Element OR Cmd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.