Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:10 AM

Do Doctors Really Make It To Greatness? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do Doctors Really Make It To Greatness? (664 Views)

Read How His First Carry Over In UNILAG Propelled Him To Greatness / 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests / Do Doctors Really Smoke Too Much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Doctors Really Make It To Greatness? by Capableben(m): 11:55pm On Aug 26, 2014
Greatness in my own opinion:Being wealthy or financially stable, popular beyond your immediate environment, respected and eulogized by many..

There's this characteristic trait about most Nigerian students-they all want/wanted to be doctors, they see the profession as the easiest and rosiest path to greatness but that axiom is fallacious. the last time I checked, most great men and women in Nigeria,Africa and beyond were not doctors. e.g Nelson Mandela, Chimamanda Ngozi, Wole S, Achebe, Mark Zuckerburg,Omotola Jalade, Genevieve N. etc.

Please don't misunderstand wealth or opulence for greatness, one can be rich but not great.

This thread, I know is controversial but I never intended it to be so, In fact Drs command a great respect from me. This is just to enlighten the common Nigerian student and parent that Medicine/Surgery isn't a sure path to greatness.

Your opinions please.
Re: Do Doctors Really Make It To Greatness? by evanscheck(m): 1:16am On Aug 27, 2014
U have not said anything. U just stated ur point of arguement, I cud say yes and no.depend on how ur differenciate being great and being wealthy, if I am wealthy den I use it to help d poor in my own capacity ofcos I wud be popular den gradually I wud be great. So no hard and fast rule there...
Re: Do Doctors Really Make It To Greatness? by Wakins(m): 3:01am On Aug 27, 2014
Everything in this life is a gamble. Nothing is certain except death
Re: Do Doctors Really Make It To Greatness? by davno: 4:21am On Aug 27, 2014
Being a doctor, an engineer, an actor, a politician, musician, etc is not what makes a person great.

Greatness is something that you bring into your profession. Can also be developed along the way.

It's about the person and not the profession.

Meanwhile, medicine remains a very noble profession that has both great and "non-great" people in it's fold.
Re: Do Doctors Really Make It To Greatness? by Capableben(m): 8:35am On Aug 27, 2014
davno: Being a doctor, an engineer, an actor, a politician, musician, etc is not what makes a person great.

Greatness is something that you bring into your profession. Can also be developed along the way.

It's about the person and not the profession.

Meanwhile, medicine remains a very noble profession that has both great and "non-great" people in it's fold.
hmmm nice points, looking at Nigeria as a point of view, One hardly find doctors amongst the greatest men we have. Globally I only know of Carson...
Re: Do Doctors Really Make It To Greatness? by davno: 12:11pm On Aug 27, 2014
Capableben:
hmmm nice points, looking at Nigeria as a point of view, One hardly find doctors amongst the greatest men we have. Globally I only know of Carson...

You sound biased about doctors. Your knowledge of the medical field cannot be said to be universal knowledge.

You know Ben carson as a renowned neurosurgeon. That's just a minute part of medicine. Ben Carson is also not the richest doctor but he is a great man who by his nature and experience has impacted his field and motivated numerous people around the world.

Ben Carson himself has some other great doctors who motivated him. I guess you have read his works.

There are numerous great doctors. That you don't know them does not change the fact that they are great. I have have seen rich and wonderful Nigerian doctors. I know one that makes at least 10 million naira monthly from his practise here in Nigeria and he is not the richest Nigerian doctor. The richest man in my LGA is a medical doctor. I can go on and on.

We have too many unsung heroes in almost every profession in the world. People who are truly great but not famous. Being great does not necessarily mean being a celebrity.
Re: Do Doctors Really Make It To Greatness? by Capableben(m): 4:21pm On Aug 27, 2014
davno:

You sound biased about doctors. Your knowledge of the medical field cannot be said to be universal knowledge.

You know Ben carson as a renowned neurosurgeon. That's just a minute part of medicine. Ben Carson is also not the richest doctor but he is a great man who by his nature and experience has impacted his field and motivated numerous people around the world.

Ben Carson himself has some other great doctors who motivated him. I guess you have read his works.

There are numerous great doctors. That you don't know them does not change the fact that they are great. I have have seen rich and wonderful Nigerian doctors. I know one that makes at least 10 million naira monthly from his practise here in Nigeria and he is not the richest Nigerian doctor. The richest man in my LGA is a medical doctor. I can go on and on.

We have too many unsung heroes in almost every profession in the world. People who are truly great but not famous. Being great does not necessarily mean being a celebrity.
hmmmm Enlightenment.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Most Important Lesson You’ve Learned In Life? / Nigeria HND Graduates Can Now Receive B.sc In UK In 1 Year / Mass Failure At Nigerian Law School As Over3,000 Students Fail Bar Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.