Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,375 members, 7,808,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:12 AM

Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? (4646 Views)

Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano / ** Religious Intolerance In Nigeria- Who Is Culpable?? ** / Any Muslims Who Converted To Christainity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by TheBigUrban2: 4:32am On Aug 29, 2014
texanomaly:

Ok. You asked so let's define arrogant...

...having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

Now, if we go by your description of Christians above, I have to answer no. Christians are not arrogant. Christians don't believe they, themselves possess any power. They believe the power lies in Christ.

IRONY= Jesus was killed for being arrogant. He was killed for calling himself the messiah.

1 Like

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by texanomaly(f): 4:38am On Aug 29, 2014
MizMyColi: Those who have this "relationship" in a typical christian sense are the worst perpetrators of Intolerance, Arrogance, Superciliousness, (sic) self and performance based righteousness. I used to have that "relationship" too wink

You are describing those who profess to have a relationship, when in reality they have none at all.
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by texanomaly(f): 4:40am On Aug 29, 2014
tandj: Even inside the various religions, we still have "us vs them" everywhere.

A sunni moslem will say shiite don't know what they r doing.
A catholic will reject protestants outright while saturday worshippers will say those worshiping on sunday r fake.

Religion, I sigh.
Each to his own sha.

On point
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by texanomaly(f): 4:49am On Aug 29, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Atheism is not a religion and neither is agnosticism.

Then why are you always here, and why are you always crying that Atheists don't have their own chat thread and a mod in religion section?

1 Like

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by TheBigUrban2: 4:57am On Aug 29, 2014
texanomaly:

Then why are you always here, and why are you always crying that Atheists don't have their own chat thread and a mod in religion section?

Example of arrogance.

You know that atheism doesnt fit the definition of religion but your christian bias wont let you accept the facts as stated by an atheist.

1) An atheist section is what we asked for actually. We were given a chatbox instead that started out with an insult on all non-theists

2) Having an atheist mod or chatbox does not mean atheism is a religion. That is quite a silly thing to think

3 Likes

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by texanomaly(f): 5:07am On Aug 29, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Example of arrogance.

You know that atheism doesnt fit the definition of religion but your christian bias wont let you accept the facts as stated by an atheist.

1) An atheist section is what we asked for actually. We were given a chatbox instead that started out with an insult on all non-theists

2) Having an atheist mod or chatbox does not mean atheism is a religion. That is quite a silly thing to think

tongue
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by MizMyColi(f): 6:15am On Aug 29, 2014
texanomaly:

You are describing those who profess to have a relationship, when in reality they have none at all.
^^^ and they make up majority of christians worldwide. In-fact, those who truly have this relationship don't wear it as a badge of honour. More oft, because of their disposition, one gets the impression that they are "worldly"

1 Like

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by MizMyColi(f): 6:23am On Aug 29, 2014
Ubenedictus:

now this was funny...
....and its reality
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 29, 2014
Has anybody noticed Ubenedictus is one of the most intelligent christians on nairaland? Probably more intelligent than Anony.

Kudos bro, I always enjoy reading your posts even if I don't agree with all.

1 Like

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by TheBigUrban2: 8:02am On Aug 29, 2014
rationalmind: Has anybody noticed Ubenedictus is one of the most intelligent christians on nairaland? Probably more intelligent than Anony.

And who made you the decider of intelligence cheesy

On an honest level though, catholics on average are smarter than pentecostal/evangelist christians
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by bindex(m): 8:23am On Aug 29, 2014
rationalmind: Has anybody noticed Ubenedictus is one of the most intelligent christians on nairaland? Probably more intelligent than Anony.

The man is more honest .Doesn't twist things so much.

4 Likes

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by mmsen: 9:03am On Aug 29, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Ask Pastor AIO and Texanomaly about their christian views.

The typical british christian is a liberal one.

But you are a typical Nigerian christian....meaning that you are a conservative bigot. Sorry

Religious bigotry is more acceptable in some places than others - where you have gross inequality and minimal state involvement in the reduction of said inequality, bigotry usually follows.

This is why you can be a religious bigot in a Nigeria or Texas but not so much in northern Europe.
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by TheBigUrban2: 9:16am On Aug 29, 2014
mmsen:

Religious bigotry is more acceptable in some places than others - where you have gross inequality and minimal state involvement in the reduction of said inequality, bigotry usually follows.

This is why you can be a religious bigot in a Nigeria or Texas but not so much in northern Europe.

#True talk.
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by macof(m): 10:10am On Aug 29, 2014
RikoduoSennin:

If the bolded is true, what then can be said about Atheism and Agnosticism. They too as much as anybody else manifest these two traits as well as others. Arrogance, intolerance, Pride, haughtiness etc you name it!

It is wrong to believe/Conclude this traits are heightened because of religion. They are in all of us but some religion like christianity helps its members to control/get rid of those traits not the other way around.

shocked Agnostics are one of the most tolerant minded people
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by macof(m): 10:24am On Aug 29, 2014
texanomaly:

I don't get thisundecided

Why do Christians somehow rift themselves into
Those that claim
And those that are

A Christian is a Christian, once you believe the doctrines of the Bible, especially the New testament
The only cause for division here is belonging to different denominations/churches

3 Likes

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by macof(m): 10:30am On Aug 29, 2014
bindex:

The man is more honest .Doesn't twist things so much.

True, compared to Joshthefirst, Anony, truthman2012

lets have them here and see true intolerance and arrogance
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Nobody: 10:50am On Aug 29, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

And who made you the decider of intelligence cheesy

On an honest level though, catholics on average are smarter than pentecostal/evangelist christians

Yea, true.
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:21am On Aug 29, 2014
TheBigUrban2:
Ask Pastor AIO and Texanomaly about their christian views.

The typical british christian is a liberal one.

But you are a typical Nigerian christian....meaning that you are a conservative bigot. Sorry

isn't is insultive to call someone a bigot?

Besides, i have read both pastor aio and texanomaly, i have never read them teach that one religion is as good as the other, (you can correct me if i am wrong) i think pastor in particular believes that all religion is a search for the divine and that salvation is "possible for all men of goodwill", i believe both.... But it will be a long strech to claim that they believe all religions are equal, heck that is very well against the holy books you say they believe.

On a thread on arrogance, it is so amazing you show a good level of it even without religion.

2 Likes

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:31am On Aug 29, 2014
TheBigUrban2:
Christians and muslims are certain about things they cant possibly prove-
-that there is an afterlife; either heaven or hell
-that there is some God sitting in heaven

There is arrogance/intolerance that is common to everyone......and there is arrogance/intolerance that comes specially from the exclusivity from religion

really?

Aren't all truths exclusive?
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:52am On Aug 29, 2014
texanomaly:

Ok. You asked so let's define arrogant...

...having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

Now, if we go by your description of Christians above, I have to answer no. Christians are not arrogant. Christians don't believe they, themselves possess any power. They believe the power lies in Christ.

Let's look at a few synonyms: haughty, conceited, self-important, egotistic, full of oneself, superior;

Do any of these words describe Jesus Christ of the Christian Bible? Do they describe what a Christian is supposed to be?

this is beautiful, my first instinct is to say no, a christian shouldn't be arrogant.

But hey, the Christian think he has Christ living in him, you remember Christ the way the truth and life right? The guy who opens and no one closes, who closes and no one opens, remember him? Having that guy around will give one a petty exalted idea of himself...i hope you remember, the christian becomes an adopted Child of God, heir to the promise and heir to the kingdom. What about the other guy without Christ? Is he also an adopted son? Heir to kingdom and promise?

You have to agree with me that those teaching give the christian a pretty exalted opinion of himself.

Isn't that the begining to arrogance?

Next let's tackle this question:

Now this is an interesting question. Who do you mean by "them"? The Christian faith, or those who claim to follow it? How you answer can significantly change my answer here and possibly above.

I'm pacing myself here. More to come.
those who follow it.

Since you are here, i'll like to ask your opinion on religious relativism. Do you believe all religions are as good as the other?

Sorry for the ambush.
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:59am On Aug 29, 2014

hehehe, you are on a lonnnng thing.

I am probably worst than any Christian on nl and thanks for the compliment.

1 Like

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:00pm On Aug 29, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

IRONY= Jesus was killed for being arrogant. He was killed for calling himself the messiah.

if he is the messiah, will it then be arrogant if he called himself what he is?
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:05pm On Aug 29, 2014
macof:

Those that claim
And those that are

A Christian is a Christian, once you believe the doctrines of the Bible, especially the New testament
The only cause for division here is belonging to different denominations/churches

hmmm...

It is a thread on intolerance, aren't those funny divisions pointers to intolerance?
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by TheBigUrban2: 2:04pm On Aug 29, 2014
Ubenedictus: if he is the messiah, will it then be arrogant if he called himself what he is?

We should learn from Jesus Christ.

If you are called before a court to prove that you are a messiah, prove it!!! Dont just accept beatings and crucifixion.

Seriously, why is it that Jesus never showed his signs and wonders to high ranking officials so that they believe his message?

1 Like

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by texanomaly(f): 5:10pm On Aug 29, 2014
Ubenedictus:

this is beautiful, my first instinct is to say no, a christian shouldn't be arrogant.

But hey, the Christian think he has Christ living in him, you remember Christ the way the truth and life right? The guy who opens and no one closes, who closes and no one opens, remember him? Having that guy around will give one a petty exalted idea of himself...i hope you remember, the christian becomes an adopted Child of God, heir to the promise and heir to the kingdom. What about the other guy without Christ? Is he also an adopted son? Heir to kingdom and promise?

You have to agree with me that those teaching give the christian a pretty exalted opinion of himself.

Isn't that the begining to arrogance?

those who follow it.

Wow...where do I start? First, I don't believe Christ and God are the same person. Second, I believe EVERYONE is a literal spirit child of God (Heavenly Father) not adopted. I don't believe in the concept of only Heaven or Hell. I believe in levels (kingdoms).

To be honest I haven't attended any church in almost a year. There are teachings from my religion of birth I still believe. I am having some trouble with the entire package though. I haven't found any church I completely agree with.

Ubenedictus:
Since you are here, i'll like to ask your opinion on religious relativism. Do you believe all religions are as good as the other?

Sorry for the ambush.

It is easy to believe in religious relativism. Any kind of relativism if one thinks about it. It basically relieves one of any responsibility. Any action or belief is acceptable. Does this make one tolerant or just lazy and indecisive? It certainly helps with my belief that almost all churches have some truth.

It is a concept that helps anyone argue their case more easily doesn't it? On the one hand it lets anyone "off the hook" no matter what they believe. On the other hand it is a bit of an oxymoron. Can everyone be right? I guess relatively they can.

So in the end, am I a true Christian in everyone's eyes? Am I a true Christian in anyone's eyes? Lately I'm not much of a Christian in my own eyes.

Will we be judged on how we live or what we purport to believe? If it is the latter, many of us are in big trouble.

Lol...I kind of went off point, but if I'm honest, I just don't care enough about what others think of me or what I believe to put any real effort into a religious debate. I guess that makes me arrogant. If someone wants to know my opinion, I don't mind telling them. If they don't, that's ok too.
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by TheBigUrban2: 5:18pm On Aug 29, 2014
texanomaly:

Wow...where do I start? First, I don't believe Christ and God are the same person. Second, I believe EVERYONE is a literal spirit child of God (Heavenly Father) not adopted. I don't believe in the concept of only Heaven or Hell. I believe in levels (kingdoms).

To be honest I haven't attended any church in almost a year. There are teachings from my religion of birth I still believe. I am having some trouble with the entire package though. I haven't found any church I completely agree with.

It is easy to believe in religious relativism. Any kind of relativism if one thinks about it. It basically relieves one of any responsibility. Any action or belief is acceptable. Does this make one tolerant or just lazy and indecisive? It certainly helps with my belief that almost all churches have some truth.

It is a concept that helps anyone argue their case more easily doesn't it? On the one hand it lets anyone "off the hook" no matter what they believe. On the other hand it is a bit of an oxymoron. Can everyone be right? I guess relatively they can.

So in the end, am I a true Christian in everyone's eyes? Am I a true Christian in anyone's eyes? Lately I'm not much of a Christian in my own eyes.

Will we be judged on how we live or what we purport to believe? If it is the latter, many of us are in big trouble.

Lol...I kind of went off point, but if I'm honest, I just don't care enough about what other think of me or what I believe to put any real effort into a religious debate. I guess that makes me arrogant. If some wants to know my opinion, don't mind telling them. If they don't, that's ok too.

Spoken from the heart wink

This is the Texanomaly I like.
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by TheBigUrban2: 5:23pm On Aug 29, 2014
By the way, selfless and tolerant christianity looks like this

https://www.nairaland.com/1878359/how-christians-faith-shook-atheist
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by macof(m): 6:21pm On Aug 29, 2014
Ubenedictus:

hmmm...

It is a thread on intolerance, aren't those funny divisions pointers to intolerance?

back when I was still a Christian, I was indifferent about all the Christian groups.

So I guess everybody isn't intolerant to the different denominations
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:20pm On Aug 29, 2014
texanomaly:

Wow...where do I start? First, I don't believe Christ and God are the same person.

i didn't say they were, but "christ in me the hope of glory" is still a bible passage that puts christ in all christians.

Second, I believe EVERYONE is a literal spirit child of God (Heavenly Father) not adopted. I don't believe in the concept of only Heaven or Hell. I believe in levels (kingdoms).
i can work with this, the question is "what do you think is the effect of Christ death?", why did the poor guy die? The bible seems to say he died to make us Children of God....but if we were already literal sons of God then why did the guy die?

that is ok...each man search for the "truth"...for many it isn't rocket science, for people like me the search may not be completed in my life time.

ok, i think many ideas are packed in these sentences,...i believe every church, even every religion has some truth...but that is a bit different from your thought, you think it is easier to believe every idea is acceptable. That is interesting, i'll ask you a few questions just to see how acceptable you think every idea is. do you think it is acceptable to kill all jew? Do you think it is acceptable for kill all twins?

I guess my point is, where do you draw the line, isn't it just imposible for "jesus is lord" and "jesus is not lord" to both be acceptable?

Unless ofcuz u don't believe there is such a thing as objective truth...

Lol...I kind of went off point, but if I'm honest, I just don't care enough about what others think of me or what I believe to put any real effort into a religious debate. I guess that makes me arrogant. If someone wants to know my opinion, I don't mind telling them. If they don't, that's ok too.

interesting sincerity... To be sincere maybe i am a bit scared, i don't think the question is about what other think about what you believe...i think the question is what you think about what you believe...
If every opinion is acceptable then there is no real truth, objectivity is blurred, what is acceptable may very well be believable. So why do you think A and not B. Why Jesus and not muhammed?

How do you draw the line?
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by texanomaly(f): 9:40pm On Aug 29, 2014
macof:

Those that claim
And those that are

Actually just believing is not enough. Faith demands action.

To be honest I've become one of the "so called" Christians of late. I know all I should be doing and am failing miserably.
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by malvisguy212: 9:52pm On Aug 29, 2014
Ubenedictus:

i didn't say they were, but "christ in me the hope of glory" is still a bible passage that puts christ in all christians.

i can work with this, the question is "what do you think is the effect of Christ death?", why did the poor guy die? The bible seems to say he died to make us Children of God....but if we were already literal sons of God then why did the guy die?

that is ok...each man search for the "truth"...for many it isn't rocket science, for people like me the search may not be completed in my life time.

ok, i think many ideas are packed in these sentences,...i believe every church, even every religion has some truth...but that is a bit different from your thought, you think it is easier to believe every idea is acceptable. That is interesting, i'll ask you a few questions just to see how acceptable you think every idea is. do you think it is acceptable to kill all jew? Do you think it is acceptable for kill all twins?

I guess my point is, where do you draw the line, isn't it just imposible for "jesus is lord" and "jesus is not lord" to both be acceptable?

Unless ofcuz u don't believe there is such a thing as objective truth...

interesting sincerity... To be sincere maybe i am a bit scared, i don't think the question is about what other think about what you believe...i think the question is what you think about what you believe...
If every opinion is acceptable then there is no real truth, objectivity is blurred, what is acceptable may very well be believable. So why do you think A and not B. Why Jesus and not muhammed?

How do you draw the line?
bless this brother.
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Tovot: 9:59pm On Aug 29, 2014
True faith demands a lot of action and prayer. You should pray that GOD shows you and grants you the Grace to do the right things.
texanomaly:

Actually just believing is not enough. Faith demands action.

To be honest I've become one of the "so called" Christians of late. I know all I should be doing and am failing miserably.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Adam Was Not The First Man / Brazilian Pastor Convinced Followers His Penis Contained HOLY MILK. Now Arrested / God And Evil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.