Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,713 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? (33812 Views)

What Open Marriage Taught One Man About Feminism / Can An Open Marriage Ever Work In The Real World? / An Open Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by hotangel2(f): 6:48pm On Sep 23, 2005
Can you always have sex with your parents? Buddies? Friends? NOPE! hell NO you cant!. Soooo, that's why you need someone you can always have beside you, A wife/husband is that person.
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by vexxy(f): 6:54pm On Sep 23, 2005
You can have sex with a friend. It's called friends with privileges lipsrsealed. But the point is why get married to have a partner you can have sex with if you're going to have sex with anyone you like anyway?
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by hotangel2(f): 6:56pm On Sep 23, 2005
Yeah i know about friends with benefits. But it's better to have someone under your roof that you can wake up at the middle of the night and have sex with. SOmeone you'll call the mother/father of my kids and not just baby mama or baby daddy. Someone you'll take out and be able to say to people She/he is my wife/husband and not just my friend with whom i have some benefits from.

the point of getting married when you know you'll still have sex with other people is just to fulfil the point of having an "open marriage". If that didnt happen, there wouldnt be anything called open marriage. Ha!
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by vexxy(f): 7:06pm On Sep 23, 2005
I think that people use "Open Marriage" as a term to hide the mere ugly truth: I am guided and make decisions based on my nether regions. lipsrsealed
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by hotangel2(f): 9:55pm On Sep 23, 2005
vexxy:

I think that people use "Open Marriage" as a term to hide the mere ugly truth: I am guided and make decisions based on my nether regions. lipsrsealed

Having an open marriage isn't hiding an ugly truth. Being in a marriage and cheating on your patner without both of you agreeing on an Open marriage is[i] hiding an ugly truth.[/i] And ermm, that's not wat open marriage is.
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by goodguy(m): 10:16pm On Sep 23, 2005
Lizzy, u are unbelievable!!! shocked lipsrsealed
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by hotangel2(f): 10:17pm On Sep 23, 2005
Nope! I am not.
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by pieta: 11:04pm On Sep 23, 2005
naija sha.........we like double speak.
in our society as we know it today, many married and supposedly 'close-married' folks drown in extra-marital affairs in secret but are quick to condemn same act in the open.
its a case of many of our moral saints frowning at prostitution but would 'carry' their daughter's age mates from university campuses for fun parties,meanwhile believing that their daughters would not dare behave as such.
what is important is being true to yourselves and being realistic.
Will Smith and mate are realists and their mutual agreement has brought their union this far........in a Hollywood where marriages are made and broken in hours.

poser:
would you like to know the pressures your partner is going through in dealing with the opposite sex or rather get to know about it the hard way when the deal/harm is done(HIV,a child out of wedlock, for the guys--someone else's child palmed off you, etc)?
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by tEsLim(m): 11:52pm On Sep 23, 2005
Ah ah... read through the whole thing.

See i'm quite a open person. So dont like keeping sh~t in da closet. These things are easier said than done. But I wont marry if I know I"m gonna cheat on her! Instead I'll stay free as a bachelor and love-vendor. But thats not life to me. Everything is got time.

Leaving good legacy for your kids is important. So open marriage could be bullshit. But its better if you guys know thats best for you. You both just can't stop looking at other ppls property. But freaks motha-fathers!
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by vexxy(f): 11:52pm On Sep 23, 2005
If you can't control your nether regions, don't get married.  Simple.  It's about control.  These people want to have an excuse to enjoy both worlds.

It's going to come a time when they will have to make a decision.

You make a left or a right
You continue in school or you drop out
You cook dinner or you don't

There's no inbetween in certain things. If you want to be married, then understand what marriage is and respect the union. If you want to have sex with whomever, then don't get married, stay single.

You can't tell me that this will not have some impact on the children. They are very sensitive and observant. They pick up on things that we have no idea they've even noticed. Respect your spouse, respect your children, respect your union. cry
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by terry(m): 6:25am On Sep 24, 2005
that open marriage is wrong, cant stand another dude with my cutiepie , this is no relationship,this is marriage
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by otokx(m): 12:45pm On Sep 24, 2005
this is pure SIN, no wonder the increase in frequency of natural disasters hitting USA.
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by salako: 1:11pm On Sep 24, 2005
all relationships are give and take, Will and Jada are honest and happy with their lifestyle. How many others can truly say the same. They have a successful marriage as they define it.
Please do not berate them for being honest about their feelings and finding common ground.

Of course, I would not consider sharing my future wife (whoever she may be) with any other man or woman. (well... unless she insists we include Mya or any other foxy babes!).
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by toksie(f): 3:20pm On Sep 24, 2005
this is the first i am hearing of this arrangement between will and jada i had to check the link that was sent to back up this story to make sure i am not imagining things. i actually wondered the reason they were still together after so long cos in hollywood the average shelf-life of marriages there is 2 years (hahaha) at least this explains why they are still together. they are both sick and way off the mark i though WILL was an intelligent brother (how wrong). this OPEN marriage thing can also be likened to 'SWINGERS'. this is when a couple swap partners and have sex with them for example mr & mrs bell and mr& mrs howard.......mr bell could sleep with mrs howard and vice versa. this act is disgusting they should never have been married its obvious their vows didnt mean anything.
someone please find out what was the cause of WILL SMITH's first marriage breakup. hellooooooooooo
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by sheif: 5:35pm On Sep 24, 2005
It can never work. Even the 'agreement' that Will and Jada have, how do you know they've ever tested it before?
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by goodguy(m): 7:12pm On Sep 24, 2005
otokx:

this is pure SIN, no wonder the increase in frequency of natural disasters hitting USA.
Correct! Absolutely right!
As I said in my posts earlier, if you all say they are being true to each other, blablabla.... God detests this act! SIMPLE!
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by layi(m): 7:23pm On Sep 24, 2005
otokx:

U can't link both. USA is not the only country with its fair share of rubbish. We are all guilty so lets not be sacarstic... Innocent people lost their lives..so what they need is our sympathy and help... not this holier-than-thou attitude.

Where is the Love?
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by layi(m): 8:05pm On Sep 24, 2005
So na this smallie Will Smith no fit satisfy abi na the other way round?

Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by Scorpio(f): 8:43pm On Sep 24, 2005
cheesy cheesy
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by hotangel2(f): 9:31pm On Sep 24, 2005
Will Smith and Jada Pinkett

Here's information about the marriage relationship of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett, including facts about how they met, their wedding, children, and quotes about open marriage.

Birthdates:

Willard Christopher Smith, Jr. was born on September 25, 1968 in the Wynnefield area of West Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Jada Koren Pinkett was born on September 18, 1971 in Baltimore, Maryland.

How They Met:

Will and Jada first met in 1995 when she auditioned for the role of Smith's girlfriend on "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" show. She was turned down because she was considered to be too short for the part.

Will proposed to Jada in November, 1997.

Wedding Date: December 31, 1997.

Their secret New Year's Eve wedding was held in Baltimore at the Cloisters Mansion.

For her wedding, Jada wore a champagne-colored silk and velvet gown by Badgley Mischka. TRÂ-KNOX reportedly sang at the wedding.

Previous Marriages:

Will was married to Sheree Elizabeth Zampino on May 9, 1992. Sheree was born on November 16, 1967 in New York. They met in 1991 at a taping of the "A Different World" show. They divorced in December, 1995.

Ages at Marriages:
First marriage, Will, 24, and Sheree, 25 ; second marriage, Will, 29, and Jada, 26.

Children: Three.

Willard C. "Trey" Smith III, born in 1992. Mother: Sheree Zampino.

Jaden Christopher Syre born on July 8, 1998. Mother: Jada Pinkett.

Willow Camille Reign born on October 31, 2000. Mother: Jada Pinkett.

Education:

Will, Overbrook High School, Winfield. Smith turned down a scholarship to M.I.T. to pursue his acting and singing career.

Jada majored in Dance and Choreography at the Baltimore School for the Arts, and in Theater at the North Carolina School for the Arts.

Occupations:

Will is an actor and singer. He owns, with his brother Harry Smith, Treyball Development Inc.

Jada is an actress, singer, clothing designer, and video director. She was also Miss Maryland 1988.

Together, they established the Will and Jada Smith Family Foundation to fund charitable organizations in Baltimore, Philadelphia, and other cities nationwide. The focus of the foundation is on youth educational projects and urban, inner-city, family welfare.

Residence:

Will and Jada live on a 100-acre ranch in the mountains near Malibu, California.

Hobbies:
Will, playing chess.

Quotes on Love and Marriage:

Jada: "I will throw my career away before I let it break up our marriage. I made it clear to Will. I'd throw it away completely."
Source: USA Weekend

Will:
"Families are like a business. The key is one person having a vision of what it needs to be and being able to pull everyone together. That's Jada for sure."
Source: USA Weekend

Will on Open Marriage: [/b]Although Will Smith has said he would never cheat on his wife without first asking permission, he has been quoted as saying, "In our marriage vows, we didn't say 'forsaking all others.' The vow that we made was that you will never hear that I did something after the fact...If it came down to it, then one spouse can say to the other, 'Look, I need to have sex with somebody. I'm not going to if you don't approve of it - but please approve of it.'"

[b]
Secrets to Will Smith and Jada Pinkett happy marriage

Will Smith has revealed the secret to a happy marriage - asking permission from your wife before you cheat on her. .

The 'Men In Black' star says he and his wife of seven years, actress Jada Pinkett, have made a pact that they can sleep with other people, as long as it isn't behind each others back. .

The smitten pair have researched the subject by meeting up with high-profile divorced couples, including Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman and Bruce Willis and Demi Moore, to find out what went wrong. .
Will, who has confessed to fancying his co-stars, revealed: "Our perspective is you don't avoid what's natural. You're going to be attracted to people. In our marriage vows, we didn't say 'forsaking all others'. .

"If it came down to it, then one can say to the other, 'Look, I need to have sex with somebody. I'm not going to if you don't approve of it - but please approve of it'." .

Despite admitting he has sexual feelings for other women, Will is determined not to split from Jada - and goes to all lengths to ensure they stay together. .

He explained: "Every time somebody in Hollywood breaks up, Jada and I go and find out why.

"With Bruce and Demi, we spent hours talking to them. And Tom and Nicole - hours, just trying to understand what happened.

"I don't let a day go past that Jada doesn't feel like the Queen of the World."

Sources: [url=http://marriage.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=marriage&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.femalefirst.co.uk%2Fcelebrity%2F24732004.htm]click[/url]

Click here

Open marriage is GOOD!

But i think it's Will that really wants the open marriage. Jada is not so into it. BUt anyways she approves of it.
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by vexxy(f): 10:22pm On Sep 24, 2005
Description of the book entitled: Survivors of an Open Marriage by Jennifer Gates:

After extensive research and reading, Jennifer and Colin choose to have an open marriage. Jennifer believes their relationship is strong and secure enough to avoid the pitfalls of a nonexclusive arrangement. She believes that total honesty, acceptance, and communication can make it work. In candid, erotic descriptions of her different relationships and those of her husband, Jennifer Gates captures the desire and erotic appeal of her open marriage as well as the destructive forces of jealousy, selfishness, and mistrust that ultimately threaten the primary relationship with her husband. She loses the love and trust on which they built their life together, yet the relationship survives because of Jennifer's determination and commitment to the marriage. Jennifer exposes the seductive yet damaging effects of nonexclusive relationships and shares her experience of catharsis, growth, and wisdom gained through her bad and good choices and her final return to marital fidelity. Without expounding on the principles of marriage, Jennifer tells a factual story of sexual experimentation from which she learns that marriage endures not in lust but in love.

For more information about the book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931195188/qid=1127596536/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/104-8810378-2458347?v=glance&s=books

I still don't believe it's a good idea. undecided
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by goodguy(m): 11:19pm On Sep 24, 2005
total rubbish!
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by terry(m): 3:26pm On Sep 25, 2005
So na this smallie Will Smith no fit satisfy abi na the other way round?

do you understand what open marriage is?
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by MARIAE(f): 5:50pm On Sep 27, 2005
I will not have an open marriage.
But considering that men all over the WORLD are cheating on their wives, wouldn't they feel better legalising adultery by open marriage. Or are some men afraid of the women folk enjoying what they also do enjoy outside of a marrige SEX.
Go Will/Jada!!! Keep enjoying yourself if its true you are having this UNBELIEVABLE mar......... oops! Sorry Open marriage thing until you play out your fantasies.
I still think Brother Will is more honest that a lotta men (on this forum too) who condemn this Open marriage but will go ahead to have sexual relationships outside of their various matrimonial homes.
HYPOCRITICAL would you not say.  wink
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by spikedcylinder: 6:23pm On Sep 27, 2005
I wonder why some people have such limited thinking capacities...what has open marraige got to do with natural disasters?I agree with the person who said Nigerians are 2-sided....you acknowledge men having extra marital affairs even if its secret but the idea of a woman doing the same is a taboo!
In as much as this open marraige thing isnt my cup of tea,i wouldnt slate those who do it simply because its their cup of tea!I dont think Will and Jada are being entirely honest with themslves....does anyone have any link on what Jada said in response to that statement made by Will?
I also dont think their open marraige is what makes their relationship strong....they just understand and love each other methinks....
Without being blasphemous,i dont think this has anything to do with jesus as some people are trying to make it seem.Jesus isnt the one with the sexual appetites,i dont think that should be a yardstick for measuring what kind of marraige people prefer...
I've said enough already....i know i'll get slated though.
I'm out.
PS Jada looks like a man in that picture
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by goodguy(m): 8:05pm On Sep 27, 2005
@spikedcylinder: Of course, no one expects open marriage to be the cause of natural disasters in the US. The guy (otokx) only meant God is using these natural disasters to punish the americans of their incessant sins, including open marriage; I totally agree with him.
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by vexxy(f): 8:08pm On Sep 27, 2005
let he who is without sin. . . .

If that's the case then there should be disasters covering the face of the earth.
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by goodguy(m): 8:32pm On Sep 27, 2005
Disasters are not the only things God uses to punish a nation.
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by vexxy(f): 8:40pm On Sep 27, 2005
Agreed. cheesy
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by goodguy(m): 10:13pm On Sep 27, 2005
good! smiley
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by MARIAE(f): 12:36pm On Sep 28, 2005
If we measure disasters by sins committed by a nation then Nigeria would have been wiped out from the face of earth.
In Romans 2: vs 1 to 3
1. ``Well,'' you may be saying, ``what terrible people you have been talking about!'' But wait a minute! You are just as bad. When you say they are wicked and should be punished, you are talking about yourselves, for you do these very same things.
2. And we know that God, in justice, will punish anyone who does such things as these.
3. Do you think that God will judge and condemn others for doing them and overlook you when you do them, too?
My reference is if you say God is punishing Americans by way of natural disasters, I pray for the whole world because there will be thunder and brimstone (going by the amount of amoralities abound).
Unfortunately for those who condemn, God is a merciful God. He forgives and forgets when we confess our sins, therefore do not judge for you not to be judged.
But like I earlier said I dont support open marriage, thats just legalizing ADULTERY sad sad cry
Re: Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? by nddy(m): 1:49pm On Sep 28, 2005
can things be discussed without bringing the Bible, There might be moslems, atheists, Vodo worshippers. Can we leave God out of some issues

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Poor People In Nigeria Are A Terrible Lot- Nigerian Lady Says, Gives Reasons / Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies / Never Allow Your Wife To Pay Rent.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.