Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,819 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria (15830 Views)

Africa's Political Situation Is Caused By The Low IQ Of The People. / The Bad State Of The Hospital Alamieyeseigha Died In (Photo) / Cnn Breaking News: Nigeria's Story Placed As Number 1 Headline News.(bad Image) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by Nobody: 4:09pm On Aug 28, 2014
unapologetic: This reminds me of the first time i volunteered for a cause abroad, the people were surprised because they thought every Nigerian is bad and can't be found helping the less priviledged. have even heard some people saying they know that the Ibo's are the bad eggs but i told them that every country has it's own share of bad people and this does not exclude Nigeria without pointing to a particular tribal group. i am Yoruba and i know that every tribe in Nigeria has it's own share of constituting to our bad image.

People actually say that Igbos are the bad eggs of Nigeria? I'm sorry I would have to agree with the OP if this is the case. There is no way that
outsiders won't point fingers at us unless we abet by spewing half truths to further various agendas.

Although the ACTS of our bad eggs (which equally cut across various tribes) speaks louder than our words

1 Like

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by Nobody: 4:12pm On Aug 28, 2014
The bulk of Nigeria's problems are caused by Nigerians.... Simple and short...

2 Likes

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by Blockus: 4:18pm On Aug 28, 2014
PocketEconomist: The bulk of Nigeria's problems are caused by Nigerians.... Simple and short...

Who else can possibly cause our problems if not us?!

2 Likes

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by TOYNEX(f): 4:20pm On Aug 28, 2014
Op, u are very on point but IMO u just contributed to d problem... Judging Nigerians... We are all at fault one way or d other... What are d ways forward?..
Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by Litmus: 4:22pm On Aug 28, 2014
@Thread starter, its not just Nigerians who spread these derogatory posts on Nigeria, many are made by people of other Nationalities who claim that they are Nigerians. If Ghanians call us their Noisy Neighbors then Nigeria is surrounded by Slimy Neighbors. Take the thread about Cameroon killed 29 Bokoharam for instance, do you really believe all those posters calling the Nigerian army names are Nigerians? Especially those ones obsessed by the Giant of Africa title? No, they are not Nigerians, many West Africans live in Nigeria and have accesses to the Web, these people don't have the open mentality of Nigerians, they're sneaky and two-faced and see nothing wrong in this personality trait. I also have first hand experience of this. When i was much younger and filled with that stupid Nigerian notion of One Africa and not yet open-eyed and because people did not know that i was African and thought that i was Caribbean, many Africans would confide in me their hatred of Nigerians. Much of the time these hatreds were based on what could only be jealousy.

A point i would like to make and one that i have made many times is that Nigerians have to get away from this Notion of "Bad Image" because it is a subservient and unproductive posture. All nations are in competition for scarce resources one way or another and they're all to one extent or another disgraceful. This obsession is a hangover from colonial times when the relationship between the West and Africa was one of Master Servant or Parent and child. It is informed by the need to please the White master in return for approving pat on the head. Ghana people are obsessed by this need to please in return for approval and they have infected us with it.

Once, when we were Nigerian-like, our soldiers would have damned international opinion and retained their weapons when they crossed into Cameroon recently. But in our obsession to be "respected" by international opinion, look what happened, we went and behaved like obedient good boys and gave them our weapons and the same international community are laughing derisively at us.

There is no Omnipotent nation out there sitting in judgement of Nations whom we most please. No Nation is god-given or has divine rights. The potential of Nigeria and the attitude of Nigerians, their carriage, will upset those that have a set notion of how they want their Africans, which is subservient, needy and deferring. As long as Nigerians carry themselves as equals internationally they will be subjected to sanctions aimed at curbing their behavior and changing it to that which pleases them. The chief sanctioning tools of any behaviorism is demonisation.

4 Likes

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by Nobody: 4:27pm On Aug 28, 2014
Come to think of it, I have been told to my face about the corrupt and horrible state of Nigerians and bad reputation of Nigeria. I noticed this in my travels to the UK and various parts of Africa.

At times like this I wonder why God decided to label us 170 million unfortunate souls with the triple whammy:

Being Black (in an anti-black world), being African (from a continent largely disparaged and ignored by the rest of a vibrant world).

And, (To garnish our cosmic insult), being Nigerians. What a calamity...the fates must be busting their asses, laughing at our misfortunes.
Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by okomogo(m): 5:00pm On Aug 28, 2014
On point, India as bad as it is, you won't see any Indian telling you negative stories about his country, even most of this Asian countries. We are the largest black nation in the world, the white forks are doing everything to break us and our people are psychologically giving them support.
Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 5:22pm On Aug 28, 2014
[quote author=Justcash]

I like you, the reason i like you is that you have been able to identify a problem, though in an attempt to solve it, you failed to fix culpability where it rightly belongs.

1: BOKO HARAM: The rise of Boko haram from a mere group of boy scouts to a full blown terrorist organization is Infact aided by the support and free propaganda executed by Nigerians. Boko haram is mainly concentrated in a small area of Nigeria, and they have been able to fight persistently. The rise in their morale is a result of the support that Nigerians unknowingly give to them through telling unconfirmed stories about their exploits.
These stories are grabbed by the international media and announced, thereby making Nigeria to look like a terror ravaged country. The consequence of this is that foreign countries become more wary of Nigerians, and take extra effort to check Nigerians that are going into their countries. Unfortunately, it is the same people that spread these news that suffer most from this.

Let me start by reminding you that every continent in the world can boast of at least two serious intelligent agencies, it means that Nigerians even on a broader scale are not in a position to inform or misinform serious countries, any country who decides to rely on twitter updates has herself to blame.

During the days of Yusuf who was murdered in cold blood by the Nigerian security operatives with the video going viral on you tube, the International community condemned that mistake and warned Nigeria of the consequences, as usual, the Nigerian authorities denied every complicity and went about their normal business, Amnesty international took it further to warn about the human rights abuses committed by the Nigerian forces in the fight against boko haram, as usual we denied it.

Today, that series of denials has metamorphosed into an armed group who initially was seeking for justice attacking police, military and immigration installations, it wasn't enough for the Govt to budge, the govt held senator Ndume by the Jugular as sponsor of the group and heavily politicizing it that the non discerning minds were left with confusion and despair, till date most Nigerians believe IBB, Buhari and co are all boko sponsors, do you blame them?

The United states (housing the best intelligence agency in the world) have told us that Boko haram is bigger than what the Govt is thinking, invariably telling us that these APC guys the PDP are crucifying may not have a hand in it, but the Nigerian govt till date has refused to accept that as a fact and work with it, after the UN bombing in Abuja, a foreigner Mamman Nur was identified in connection with that, even with a foreign Identity, the former security adviser Azazi (who should be a reliable source of info by the way) was drumming that PDP is BH, BH is PDP, where does it leave the Nigerian people?

When AIT, NTA, Channels etc have no single correspondent on the ground in the NE states, our local media rely on anecdotes and foreign media for information on an event happening in their backyard, shameful huh! every information I get on BH, the one from the foreign media quickly add up while the ones from our local media and govt remains a contradiction.
Make no mistakes, youvonne Ndege has slept for three days in Chibok, giving daily updates for Aljazeera network, are you still blaming the Nigerian people?

Boko haram was not bloated by the Nigerian people, the failure of the Nigerian press did, culpability will be fixed on the Government who capitalized on the failure of the Nigerian press politicizing the BH threat, partly to hide their incompetence.
It leaves minds like mine with the option of BBC and Aljazeera.

2: EBOLA: Nigeria was Ebola free before Patrick Sawyer arrived with it. Few people that took care of him got infected before he died, and the LSG in collaboration with the FG struggled and contained the disease. Nigerians blew Ebola out of proportion. Some Nigerians kept spreading rumors about Ebola findings in states that were free of it. As expected, the fictitious news about how fast Ebola was spreading in the country was grabbed by the international news media, and it created panic in foreign countries. With less than 10 deaths from Ebola, Nigerians have been quarantined most at the entry points into foreign countries. This happened in HongKong, Singapore, Malaysia, US, UK etc. Of recent Nigeria was kicked out of the youth Olympics. This is the product of the way Nigerians self-destruct themselves.

Again you miss the point, rumor or not it creates awareness, On the streets of Ivory coast, who by the way have not recorded a single case of Ebola, have bill boards warning citizens of the potential threat, do you call creating awareness over hyping? I disagree with you.
The primary contacts of Patrick sawyer all died of ignorance resulting from lack of awareness, it is not enough to listen to doctors like Phantom who tell us they handled Sawyer with great deal of suspicion.

If they were following the WHO bulletin from August 2012, they will know that in less than 1 month, Ebola has ravaged three countries in other words, the suspicion should go along side with quarantine if the doctors had any idea what they were dealing with, to suspect and lose your guard is the reason all of them are National statistics, now this is a fact that emotions cannot change.

I was impressed last week hearing my mechanic talk about Ebola, it gives me the confidence that the awareness has gotten to the grass root and that is the only chance we have in fighting this epidermic, you may not appreciate that but seeing how the Virus spread in Liberia and sierra leone, hoping you read about a fake healer who have died of Ebola in sierra Leone who claimed he had cure for Ebola prompting a mass migration of Ebola through the two countries.

In my opinion, we have not made enough noise about Ebola, we need to do more so we don't spread the virus, the doctor who recently died in PH, leaving the family on death row if that is not ignorance, what else is it? nurse Justina traveling to Enugu to share her cut, is it not ignorance?
As of Sunday, the health care system in Liberia has collapsed, hospitals are closed, foreign doctors are leaving, people are dying on the street, how did it get so bad? Ignorance, from fake healer, to attacking health workers, to going to break Ebola centers to steal supplies, to "rescuing" Ebola patients from clinics etc.
If we keep quiet on Ebola, believe me, the Most populous black nation in the world we be extinct, that i can assure you.

3: NIGERIAN MILITARY:The Nigerian army was respected and seen as one of the strongest in the world. This is an outcome of the years of conflict resolution at home and foreign countries. Of recent, the rise of Boko Haram has created a new challenge for the Nigerian army. Unlike in conventional warfare across borders, the enemies are within and can easily blend into the civilian population without being noticed. It is actually a difficult conflict especially as the military will have to avoid killing innocent citizens.
Nigerians seem to lack understanding of this difficulty, so they keep taunting the Nigerian military. They write all sorts of anti-military texts, build propaganda to show that the military is weak and expose more of Nigeria's weakness to the world. As a result, Nigeria is seen as being very weak. The most recent effort is increasingly trying to show that the Camerounian Military is stronger than that of Nigeria. WILL IT SURPRISE ANYBODY IF CAMEROUN BECOMES GUTSY ENOUGH TO INVADE NIGERIA? We are hyping their military because they are dealing with a foreign (Nigerian) terrorist group that has barely penetrated their country. If the table was turned, and BOKO HARAM members were Camerounians, do you think It would have been difficult for the Nigerian military to contain? Like the EBOLA SAGA has shown, it is easier to contain a foreign menace.
Unfortunately, Nigeria is seen as a weak nation now, and every small nation can afford to damn Nigerians now.

I don't know about you but the last time I checked, four years ago, fire power rated Nigeria 4th behind Libya in Africa, at a time when BH was still a boys scout movement, can you guess where they are now? below SA, Egypt, Algeria and Ethiopia.

I am not surprised you mentioned the acclaimed success of the Nigeria army, that largely depends on your level of enlightenment, as for me, I know they are not who they said they are, it is not my fault that you were f00led by the propaganda of our military.

During the Liberian war and pockets of military skirmishes at the time, due to the lack of internet infrastructures at the time, the awareness was not there, reason they returned and gave us half truths of their successes, the Onus is on you to research and get your facts right.

For me I have, and the evidence point to gross indiscipline and over hyped success, I encourage you to do urs and come out with a subject worth discussing, Operation Barras was shame enough for the much touted Giants of Africa.

Are Nigerians really demoralizing their armed forces? I don't think so, what I think every well meaning Nigeria is saying (though not with one voice) is give us results not stories!!.
you mentioned that Cameroon or even Chad will be emboldened to breach our sovereignty because of what we say, naaa, it doesn't work that way, have you forgotten that all of them meet, and serve in different missions through out Africa under ECOMOG, AU or UN on a bigger stage?
they already know our women army more than us, they train and fight together in these foreign missions.

During the Malian intervention, an article was written that the French soldiers have refused to work with the Nigerian women army, we all came here to insult the writer calling her names, I don't know how many of you who followed that intervention to the end but as I type, the french have left, they preferred the Chadians to secure the Malian- Algerian border while launching ruthless offensive on the Tuareg rebels,

Without any significant input of the NA, the battle was won, country handed over to the deposed president while our boys stayed back doing stop and search, now this event was just a few years ago.

If Nigerians like you asked the right questions then, perhaps, we may not have lost Gwoza to terrorists, why will the French prefer the Chadians over their Nigerian counterparts? that pertinent question you never asked was the reason you never realized that our last line of defense is long broken, Gwoza was just a confirmation of my long fears.

When the Gov. of the bH epicenter lent his voice to the armed forces, the PDP mad dogs termed it politics, the man must have honestly wanted to help by making it public that our women army are poorly equipped, loads of accusation and counter accusation of lies from our incompetent head of state was flying around, today over 40 Nigerian soldiers have deserted for that same reason and we now know that Gov. shettima was right after all.

PDP with his agents of evil have a task to mask Nigerians in ignorance, people like you, Sincere9gerian and Gen Buhari must have fallen for their gimmicks, in the Health section, Sincere9gerian is regaining his senses, next is Gen Buhari, until we fix culpability where it belongs and eschew all forms of politics, this nation will fail faster than we expect.

We have a nation run by thieves and Liers, where official press release doesn't even add up, do you know that while the Israeli govt was declaring victory over Hamas, majority of her citizens were demanding total annihilation of the Alqassan brigade, what does it tell you? the citizens know the depth of their military.

4: FOOTBALL AGE ISSUE: The issue of football age has become a big problem in soccer. However, the way Nigerians trumpet about the cases involving Nigerians makes it to look as if Nigerians are the biggest age cheats in soccer. As soon as a Nigerian age grade team wins a major tournament, Nigerians take to the social media and start tainting the image of the teams by making unverified statements about the true age of the members of the teams. Unfortunately, these allegations, though mostly unverified, are noted by the members of the international community, and it reduces the respect that the teams have brought for the nation.
Recently, the Nigerian Falconets got to the final of the World Cup. Even though they didn't win, Nigerians have done the usual by going online and raising worrisome accusations against the patriots. They do this without realizing that they are shooting themselves on their feet. If foreign clubs had plans to grab them, these false age accusations may hinder their moves or reduce their values. Tomorrow, if the siblings of these critics are refused visa to play in a foreign country, they will blame the green passport forgetting that they are indirectly responsible for their misfortunes.

Nigerians must be careful about the way they speak and expose Nigeria. Nigeria is for Nigerians. If you kill her, you are killing yourselves. I BELIEVE THAT THE IMAGE OF NIGERIA WILL IMPROVE WHEN NIGERIANS STOP WASHING THEIR DIRTY UNDIES IN PUBLIC.

On the contrary, we strengthened our youth development with those accusations. Pius Ikedia would have served this country longer than few games had we discovered his talent early, the accusations have brought in the MRI technology still, the Nigerian youth have remained on top.
I don't see anything wrong in it, constructive criticism shapes every system to make it better.

May God bless Nigeria and Nigerians

of course

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by zeongeon: 6:08pm On Aug 28, 2014
Even if one decides not say anything about Nigeria..the woes of the country is even bigger than d people and is giving out such an odour that can be perceived in every part of the world.

In this era of information and technology whom do u want to fool by saying nice things about the country..when pple go online and carry out research only to see d woes of Nigeria littered all over..

I was trying to boast about Nigeria to a friend in far away australia who replied me by saying " Is it not Nigeria where the unemployment rate is so high and where citizens got killed to get a job with d immigration"...Yah see me trying to boast about Nigeria and got smacked with that.

The woes of Nigeria is audible to d deaf and visible to the blind.

2 Likes

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 6:35pm On Aug 28, 2014
zeongeon:
Even if one decides not say anything about Nigeria..the woes of the country is even bigger than d people and is giving out such an odour that can be perceived in every part of the world.

In this era of information and technology whom do u want to fool by saying nice things about the country..when pple go online and carry out research only to see d woes of Nigeria littered all over..

I was trying to boast about Nigeria to a friend in far away australia who replied me by saying " Is it not Nigeria where the unemployment rate is so high and where citizens got killed to get a job with d immigration"...Yah see me trying to boast about Nigeria and got smacked with that.

The woes of Nigeria is audible to d deaf and visible to the blind.

The incompetent government want us to stay dumb and not complain, the so called citizens are too weak to stand up for something hence, dumb has become an option, if the Op is sincere and really doesn't want bad name for Nigeria, he should champion a cause for change.
Once the government changes, Nigeria will redeem its lost glory. The NAFDAC drug counterfeit war of Akunyili made it to several international media, Op has forgotten so soon.

1 Like

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by dabossman(m): 7:22pm On Aug 28, 2014
princefunmi:

Let me again ask, in a situation where there is chaos and there is no law and order, what exactly do you suggest we do? When I ask, I dont mean all those long and boring stereotypes like we need to start electing good leaders and all the BS everybody keeps screaming out. You and I know that is a tall order and won't happen very soon. Truth be told, if law and order collapses even in the advanced countries many Nigerians keep modelling after, a worse chaos will happen. The recent protests of the killing of the teenager recently in the US is a vivid example. People actually highjacked the protests and turned it to a full scale riot and went looting and pillaging.

So, what practical suggestion do you have that will at least steer us in the right direction? At least to establish some form of law and order that is ENFORCED and at the same time not oppressive.

There are institutions that are supposed to enforce law and order. The reason why we are where we are is because even those institutions have become corrupt. I'm not one to blame our leaders for all of Nigeria's problems. The average Nigerian is part of the problem.

However, you cannot discard the place of leadership in any of this. Where there is no leadership, things will collapse, be it in a nuclear family or at the national level. So that which you call BS is actually not crap. Leadership doesn't refer just to the President. What example does the average Nigerian set in his place of leadership?

Now should we keep quiet and act like ostriches with our head buried in the sand? Hell no. Try living quietly with a toothache and no medication.
Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by iamord(m): 8:02pm On Aug 28, 2014
atlwireles:

You have to forgive the kids here.

Kids is the. Right word to describe them..
Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by ChiefX: 8:24pm On Aug 28, 2014
Bravo! I couldn't have written it better. I'm happy I am not the only one with this form of awareness
God bless you!....and "crayfish dance for your soup" lol

Justcash: I have come across several Nigerians that have complained about the way that they are being discriminated against by foreigners. They seem not to understand the reasons for this discrimination. Over the years, I have observed that the main reason for this trend is the way we present and talk about our country to foreigners. I will outline some examples to justify my point.

1: BOKO HARAM: The rise of Boko haram from a mere group of boy scouts to a full blown terrorist organization is Infact aided by the support and free propaganda executed by Nigerians. Boko haram is mainly concentrated in a small area of Nigeria, and they have been able to fight persistently. The rise in their morale is a result of the support that Nigerians unknowingly give to them through telling unconfirmed stories about their exploits.
These stories are grabbed by the international media and announced, thereby making Nigeria to look like a terror ravaged country. The consequence of this is that foreign countries become more wary of Nigerians, and take extra effort to check Nigerians that are going into their countries. Unfortunately, it is the same people that spread these news that suffer most from this.

2: EBOLA: Nigeria was Ebola free before Patrick Sawyer arrived with it. Few people that took care of him got infected before he died, and the LSG in collaboration with the FG struggled and contained the disease. Nigerians blew Ebola out of proportion. Some Nigerians kept spreading rumors about Ebola findings in states that were free of it. As expected, the fictitious news about how fast Ebola was spreading in the country was grabbed by the international news media, and it created panic in foreign countries. With less than 10 deaths from Ebola, Nigerians have been quarantined most at the entry points into foreign countries. This happened in HongKong, Singapore, Malaysia, US, UK etc. Of recent Nigeria was kicked out of the youth Olympics. This is the product of the way Nigerians self-destruct themselves.

3: NIGERIAN MILITARY:The Nigerian army was respected and seen as one of the strongest in the world. This is an outcome of the years of conflict resolution at home and foreign countries. Of recent, the rise of Boko Haram has created a new challenge for the Nigerian army. Unlike in conventional warfare across borders, the enemies are within and can easily blend into the civilian population without being noticed. It is actually a difficult conflict especially as the military will have to avoid killing innocent citizens.
Nigerians seem to lack understanding of this difficulty, so they keep taunting the Nigerian military. They write all sorts of anti-military texts, build propaganda to show that the military is weak and expose more of Nigeria's weakness to the world. As a result, Nigeria is seen as being very weak. The most recent effort is increasingly trying to show that the Camerounian Military is stronger than that of Nigeria. WILL IT SURPRISE ANYBODY IF CAMEROUN BECOMES GUTSY ENOUGH TO INVADE NIGERIA? We are hyping their military because they are dealing with a foreign (Nigerian) terrorist group that has barely penetrated their country. If the table was turned, and BOKO HARAM members were Camerounians, do you think It would have been difficult for the Nigerian military to contain? Like the EBOLA SAGA has shown, it is easier to contain a foreign menace.
Unfortunately, Nigeria is seen as a weak nation now, and every small nation can afford to damn Nigerians now.

4: FOOTBALL AGE ISSUE: The issue of football age has become a big problem in soccer. However, the way Nigerians trumpet about the cases involving Nigerians makes it to look as if Nigerians are the biggest age cheats in soccer. As soon as a Nigerian age grade team wins a major tournament, Nigerians take to the social media and start tainting the image of the teams by making unverified statements about the true age of the members of the teams. Unfortunately, these allegations, though mostly unverified, are noted by the members of the international community, and it reduces the respect that the teams have brought for the nation.
Recently, the Nigerian Falconets got to the final of the World Cup. Even though they didn't win, Nigerians have done the usual by going online and raising worrisome accusations against the patriots. They do this without realizing that they are shooting themselves on their feet. If foreign clubs had plans to grab them, these false age accusations may hinder their moves or reduce their values. Tomorrow, if the siblings of these critics are refused visa to play in a foreign country, they will blame the green passport forgetting that they are indirectly responsible for their misfortunes.

Nigerians must be careful about the way they speak and expose Nigeria. Nigeria is for Nigerians. If you kill her, you are killing yourselves. I BELIEVE THAT THE IMAGE OF NIGERIA WILL IMPROVE WHEN NIGERIANS STOP WASHING THEIR DIRTY UNDIES IN PUBLIC.

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by ChiefX: 8:47pm On Aug 28, 2014
Problem with Nigeria is that we the people are the most unpatriotic people in the world hands down! The average Nigerian is more loyal to tribe, political party... than the country SMH. Bashing our country and spreading bad news seems to be cool SMH.

It was when I came to the so called "God's own country" that I realized that Nigeria is a GREAT country and Nigerians, individually, are second to none. The West knows that the only thing that stand between us and taking over is dis-unity
Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by samplegirl(f): 12:33am On Aug 29, 2014
Allohrandy: do you know what is wrong with Nigerians like you? We don't hold our leaders accountable. This is the reason our country is in a mess up state. I am privilege to live in a western country and I see how their goverment treat their citizens with respect. when GEJ was running for office he promised to reduce crime, protect the life and property of every Nigerian, improve the standard of living in Nigeria. I would have to blame him if he fails to deliver on the promises he made to Nigerians.

I feel compelled to reply you after seeing how articulate reasonable in your post. Let me make it abundantly clear here that I do not sing praises for GEJ but it is a pity the way people have turned to blame him for everything negative about this country. Let us blame successive governments right from 1960 because the story has been the same since then. Which among them did not promise but see where we are today. If we had gotten it right before, Ya'radua and GEJ wouldn't have found platform in the first place.

Many SAINTS who post rubbish here would jump boat if they see any form of inducement, while some will be far worse than him if they are local council chairman. Call them to come out to protest, you won't see them, ask them to sit at home to frustrate the government, they will tell you they will die if they do not go out a day, ask them to come out and vote out the corrupt man, they will be at home watching home video.

We are hypocrites!

1 Like

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 8:52am On Aug 29, 2014
samplegirl:

I feel compelled to reply you after seeing how articulate reasonable in your post. Let me make it abundantly clear here that I do not sing praises for GEJ but it is a pity the way people have turned to blame him for everything negative about this country. Let us blame successive governments right from 1960 because the story has been the same since then. Which among them did not promise but see where we are today. If we had gotten it right before, Ya'radua and GEJ wouldn't have found platform in the first place.

Many SAINTS who post rubbish here would jump boat if they see any form of inducement, while some will be far worse than him if they are local council chairman. Call them to come out to protest, you won't see them, ask them to sit at home to frustrate the government, they will tell you they will die if they do not go out a day, ask them to come out and vote out the corrupt man, they will be at home watching home video.

We are hypocrites!

Did you hear yourself say that nonsense? did you? tell me you read that thing you wrote? you want to blame your past for having no direction in your future, this is 2014 for fvck sake not 1960, if 1960 blamed 1958 and 1990 blamed 1982, what will 2015 do? blame 2010?
How many countries in the world think like that? George bush fought terror and indebted America, Obama should blame him and sleep till ISIS bombs the white house.
Most of you must have repeated every class because you guys line of thought is so appalling

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by Nobody: 9:07am On Aug 29, 2014
jpphilips:

Did you hear yourself say that nonsense? did you? tell me you read that thing you wrote? you want to blame your past for having no direction in your future, this is 2014 for fvck sake not 1960, if 1960 blamed 1958 and 1990 blamed 1982, what will 2015 do? blame 2010?
How many countries in the world think like that? George bush fought terror and indebted America, Obama should blame him and sleep till ISIS bombs the white house.
Most of you must have repeated every class because you guys line of thought is so appalling

I just hate that their argument so much. "But he's not the only one." Are you a learner? So because it was done before GEJ means he should continue? Fresh air, indeed.
Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by Nobody: 9:35am On Aug 29, 2014
dabossman:

There are institutions that are supposed to enforce law and order. The reason why we are where we are is because even those institutions have become corrupt. I'm not one to blame our leaders for all of Nigeria's problems. The average Nigerian is part of the problem.

However, you cannot discard the place of leadership in any of this. Where there is no leadership, things will collapse, be it in a nuclear family or at the national level. So that which you call BS is actually not crap. Leadership doesn't refer just to the President. What example does the average Nigerian set in his place of leadership?

Now should we keep quiet and act like ostriches with our head buried in the sand? Hell no. Try living quietly with a toothache and no medication.

Try making a whole lot of noise about your toothache instead of getting medications.

Good thing you mentioned Leadership at the Micro level.

Instead of screaming blue murder simply because we have bad leaders in the seat of government and wasting energy and time saying things and making so much noise that is not going to change anything, why don't we spend that time improving on ourselves and actually become better leaders in our own small areas of life. If everybody did that diligently instead of bickering and just talking, in no time at all we would have an army of people who stand for all the virtues of a well managed society - Justice, fairness, transparency and accountability. Then we would all be able to speak so loud, everybody will hear us and actually take us seriously.
Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by Gbawe: 9:37am On Aug 29, 2014
jpphilips:

Bro, it really is disappointing, very frustrating and highly saddening to see any Nigerian proffer the argument Samplegirl does because it implies we still have citizens who abet misrule due to how they do not understand the role of a leader and end up making excuses for leadership failure and mediocrity. As you stated, I just don't see the same type of thinking anywhere else in the world where polities, without excuses, expect leaders to deliver solutions as the leader promised he/she would !!! An electorate does not elect a leader only to say "we forgive you if the problems you said you can deliver solutions to have now proven to be beyond your capacity. You are free to carry on for another ten years dancing around our problems ".

Every leader takes office fully aware of the problems he/she stakes his leadership on delivering solutions to. Even as samplegirl does not appear to be aware of it, there is an implied contract of problem-solving performance between the electorate and the leader they voted in to deliver solutions to the headache of the electorate. A balanced, ambitious and politically sophisticated polity will not waste time rehashing the problems. Rather focus must be on current efforts to address the problems. When current efforts is currently very poor or, in our Country's case, leadership is even worsening the problems then citizens will 'bad mouth' Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by Nobody: 10:18am On Aug 29, 2014
jpphilips:

MissMeiya:

I just hate that their argument so much. "But he's not the only one." Are you a learner? So because it was done before GEJ means he should continue? Fresh air, indeed.

Gbawe:

Bro, it really is disappointing, very frustrating and highly saddening to see any Nigerian proffer the argument Samplegirl does because it implies we still have citizens who abet misrule due to how they do not understand the role of a leader and end up making excuses for leadership failure and mediocrity. As you stated, I just don't see the same type of thinking anywhere else in the world where polities, without excuses, expect leaders to deliver solutions as the leader promised he/she would !!! An electorate does not elect a leader only to say "we forgive you if the problems you said you can deliver solutions to have now proven to be beyond your capacity. You are free to carry on for another ten years dancing around our problems ".

Every leader takes office fully aware of the problems he/she stakes his leadership on delivering solutions to. Even as samplegirl does not appear to be aware of it, there is an implied contract of problem-solving performance between the electorate and the leader they voted in to deliver solutions to the headache of the electorate. A balanced, ambitious and politically sophisticated polity will not waste time rehashing the problems. Rather focus must be on current efforts to address the problems. When current efforts is currently very poor or, in our Country's case, leadership is even worsening the problems then citizens will 'bad mouth' Nigeria.

samplegirl:

We are hypocrites!

I quite agree with you guys on one thing. Blaming the past for the woes of the present does not make sense. Afterall, the past only serves to point out out mistakes so that we dont make them again in present and not have to cry in future. A government comes into power fully aware of the issues at hand and its granted that they have a game plan aimed at tackling the issues.

That said, Samplegirl did raise a valid point which we shouldn't miss. How many Nigerians can truly stand up for what is right in the Nigeria of today? How many people will actually stand up to fight against the vices in the nation. How many Nigerians have not wished in the inner hearts to be on the seat of power so that they can get their own share of the infamous "National Cake"? (Men that cake must be pretty large) How many Nigerians in public offices have not used their power of office to satisfy their own selfish desires? How many Nigerians can truly say they have neither received bribes nor given bribes whether willfully or otherwise? (Guilty) How many Nigerians have had the courage to stand up to the police force whenever they are oppressed? (Me ke! For where! I no wan sleep for cell ooo) How many Nigerians will lay down their lives to defend their country? How many Nigerians even have the willpower to change? How many Nigerians will put the interests of the stranger standing next to them before theirs? How many Nigerians will not face one way in a traffic when they are late for work? ( I am very guilty of this one )

The questions can go on and on. If we cant find good answers to any of these questions, then how then can we fight and change what is ruining us? If a president comes to rule Nigeria and gives out all his salary to fight some cause in Nigeria and solid evidence proves that he did not steal, manipulate or misuse funds and he eventually leaves office without enriching himself, these same Nigerians you see on Nairaland today, who are forming most holy, will cause him and call him a fool because he had a chance to enrich himself and did not.

How many of us will not become oppressive monsters when they become wealthy or become bosses or CEO's in their various companies?

Very few if at all there is any. So what then are we saying.

I think what we need is a whole paradigm shift. Everybody including the babies need to be taught the principles of true leadership. We have to begin to imbibe the virtues of accountability, transparency, and fairness in all we do. Each and everyone of us can start at our own very small level. On an individual basis, that effort might be insignificant, but imagine if everybody did it. In no time at all, we would have a mighty army of people who are accountable in all things. And when you have that, our voice begins to have power because we then have a moral backing to demand the same from our leaders. If we are true to ourselves we will be able fight for what we know is right. No one will be so scared to speak up because we have the power of solidarity backing us up.
Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by uzoexcel(m): 12:24pm On Aug 29, 2014
a truly idioticcc write up

1 Like

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by uzoexcel(m): 1:04pm On Aug 29, 2014
wat really is ur problem..anyone who doesnt side wit ur view has an issue?
aguiyi:

After reading the op you still wrote this?

What if I say you are irredeemable

2 Likes

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by komekn(m): 2:35pm On Aug 29, 2014
samplegirl:

We are hypocrites!

Obama, won his first election on the slogan "Yes We Can" Change is coming, using the reasoning of your proposition with regard to GEJ, his election slogan would then be, "No We Can't" Change will never come. that would explain why his regime has essentially ENTHRONED CORRUPTION almost entirely whole-scale across his government.

1 Like

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 5:32pm On Aug 29, 2014
iconize: Nothing but the truth! Nigerians are always exaggerating things.

Imagine some peeps peddling lies that boko haram hoisted their flags in some areas in Borno
, without any pictures to corroborate the claim.

Sagamite should be taken to Aluu and burnt alive.

He's always saying Nigerian footballers lie about their age, he has even started accusing the females also.

You are a cretinous person!

1 Like

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 5:33pm On Aug 29, 2014
Tonylyte:
Sagamite is a dullarrd and a retarrrd.

Fcktards of the same feather ..................

1 Like

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 5:34pm On Aug 29, 2014
OmoEziokwu:

Dude stop saying crap about your god Sagamite. You will provoke him to come own you again cheesy. Besides why would you think foreigners don't know more about what is going on in your country than you do?

Your head correct well-well.

3 Likes

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by Tonylyte(m): 9:19pm On Aug 29, 2014
Sagamite:

Fcktards of the same feather ..................
Go and mup the ocean, you bird brained mollusc
Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 9:23pm On Aug 29, 2014
Tonylyte:
Go and mup the ocean, you bird brained mollusc

Have respect for your God!

1 Like

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by Tonylyte(m): 9:29pm On Aug 29, 2014
Sagamite:

Have respect for your God!
To hell with you, you god of loosers....
Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 9:37pm On Aug 29, 2014
Tonylyte:
To hell with you, you god of loosers....

Yes, person. I am a God to losers like you. cool

person, learn to spell loser.

Product of a failed education system. grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by richeso: 9:48pm On Aug 29, 2014
Justcash: I have come across several Nigerians that have complained about the way that they are being discriminated against by foreigners. They seem not to understand the reasons for this discrimination. Over the years, I have observed that the main reason for this trend is the way we present and talk about our country to foreigners. I will outline some examples to justify my point.

i wish i can give more than 1 like , i would have given you up to 99999999999999999999999 likes.

YOU just talk my mind ehn.. i come dey think say u be my spirit self.
Re: The BAD IMAGE Of Nigeria Is Caused By The Way Nigerians Present Nigeria by Liekiller(f): 9:53pm On Aug 29, 2014
I'd like to add another aspect here. While I agree that Boko Haram etc. (don't forget 419!!) dont do much for naija's image, I think much more of the negative image comes from personal experience people have with Nigerians. I can only speak of what I have seen with my own eyes though.
In Europe, for example, 90% of Nigerian immigrants behave TERRIBLY.

1) they present themselves as asylum seekers which invariably includes a zillion lies, but they actually know that they have no chance to be accepted as refugees. As long as the procedure is running they benefit from the asylum system which was set up for real refugees and costs taxpayers millions and millions every year. Sure, there is often no other way to get in. But do you really expect the taxpayers to like this?
2) then they sell cocaine everywhere on the streets.
3) at the same time they are after countless women in order to get married because they know they will not be accepted as refugees.
4) While there is nothing wrong about getting married as such the things they do to these women are bad. They don't even see them as humans but as a ressource that needs to be exploited to the max. I guess you all know the game. In the end most find a woman who is willing to marry them out of love (from her side, whereas from his side he only pretends to love her with lies, lies and more lies).
5) once they are married they change and show their real ugly colours. Many of those wives do everything for them, but still they treat them like shit.
6) as soon as they have papers they abandon their wives (and often children) who have fought for them, but only after having cheated, beaten and betrayed them a million times.
7) they very rarely even make a minimal effort to learn about and to adapt to their host country and its mentality
8 ) they commit too many crimes abroad, some of them in order to live up to the expectations of a greedy family at home that refuses to acknowledge the realities about life in Europe

Such behaviour is a main reason for the increase in xenophobia in many European countries in the past years. Brothers have told me that women would run away screaming if they told them where they come from. Seriously.
I don't think our image will improve if we don't improve. As long as we only try to have a good image without actually living up to it it simply won't work.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Prof Ben Nwabueze Is No Longer One Of Us, He Has Joined The Enemy Camp - IPOB / Imo North: Federal High Court Affirms Ararume As APC Candidate / Ibrahim Danbaba Dumps PDP, Defects To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 204
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.