Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,044 members, 7,807,136 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:06 AM

Was Mother Theresa Overrated? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was Mother Theresa Overrated? (1459 Views)

Mother Theresa Vs. Bishop Oyedepo / Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? / Mother Theresa As A Great Christian / Catholic Example :: Fable Or Fact? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Mother Theresa Overrated? by TheRealAdonye(m): 9:42am On Aug 28, 2014
[img]http://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-c14d35f89fd30a2378f67fbdbd9c24b7[/img]

Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Firstly, she took money that was stolen from poor people. Among her financiers were the Duvallier family of dictators that pillaged the Haitian people and surprisingly many other criminals who wanted to buy some sort of indulgence or appraisal from a de facto saint*. She then used most of that money on her personal brand and her christian movement of monasteries with only a fraction going to the actual work with the poor**.

The Calcutta "home for the dying" she is known for in the west was no hospital as many believed it to be, it did not offer any real medical care, or even allow the dying to have visitors. This despite the fact that MT easily had enough money to offer such care and facilities. Instead the home for the dying was some sort of sick religious setup where ill people came to suffer and be prayed for, because Anjezë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu (as MT's real name was) thought there is something noble and Christian about suffering just like Jesus did. The below quote shows how little she thought the situation of the poor could or should be improved:

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people."

She is also claimed to have been "above politics", but still she took many reprehensible political positions by lauding several undemocratic dictators such as her pal Bébé-Doc Duvallier in Haiti and Enver Hoxha in her native Albania. She also on numerous occasions poured vitriol over women's rights initiatives that were not in line with her catholic beliefs. A recurring theme in her speeches was equating condoms with evilness or even murder, surely not helpful for fighting exploding HIV among the poor.

In her Nobel prize acceptance speech she said abortions under any circumstances were the worst form of war threatening humanity. I accept that there are many ways you can feel about abortions, but you have to see things very differently from me in order not to find *any* greater wrong in this world than a woman who risks death if she gives birth having an abortion.

The fact that she is still held as the portrait of good in the west, and even has given rise to an English language eponym of sorts (eg. "that person is a real mother Teresa"wink, is simply beyond my understanding.

This below documentary is made by the late and great Christopher Hitchens in -94, and since even more terrible details have surfaced. A longer study of Mother Teresa can be found in Hitchens' book "The Missionary Position" or in Aroup Chatterjee's "The Final Verdict". Both authors had first hand experience with MT and presented their claims while MT was still alive and could have refuted any false claims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76_qL6fiyDw

* Other main donators included Charles Keating, who had stolen american pensions and Robert Maxwell who had stolen British pensions. Keating ended up in jail for his embezzlements (Mother Teresa actually asked the judge to pardon him), while Maxwell's crimes surfaced after he died (unknown if suicide).
** Mother Teresa's charity is the only charity in India that is allowed to hide its accounts from public insight, however, in 1991 German magazine Stern revealed only 7% were used on the "charitable work" itself.
What People in History are Overrated
Re: Was Mother Theresa Overrated? by Rich4god(m): 10:11am On Aug 28, 2014
interesting...
Re: Was Mother Theresa Overrated? by mmsen: 10:29am On Aug 28, 2014
You might want to consider this book by Christopher Hitchens:

The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice
http://www.amazon.com/The-Missionary-Position-Mother-Practice/dp/1455523003/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1409221593&sr=8-19&keywords=mother+theresa

1 Like

Re: Was Mother Theresa Overrated? by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 28, 2014
I read somewhere she later in life lost her faith. She became agnostic/atheist.
Re: Was Mother Theresa Overrated? by nora544: 10:57am On Aug 28, 2014
Search for his name and read about this person, and you will look!

He say that the war in Iraq was okay that America make it, but this is not tru and we have yesterday a TV documentation about ISS and why it starts and what I can tell you it starts because America make many mistakes when they win the war in Iraq.

So i didnot realy believe this man.

(1) (Reply)

[deleted] / Interesting Facts About King James I Of England (vi Of Scotland) / Www.faithbook.cf Official Thread On Nairaland - Come In ............

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.