Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:14 AM

Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby (3960 Views)

FG Owes 70,000 Workers Three-month Salaries / Picture Of Young Sanusi, His Grand-dad , Bello And A British Diplomat / South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by desgiezd(m): 4:37pm On Aug 28, 2014
http://theeagleonline.com.ng/ebola-how-nigerian-diplomat-infected-doctor-wife-their-three-month-old-baby/

The Rivers State Government on Thursday provided the details of the spread of the Ebola Virus Disease into the state.
The Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, had on Thursday said a medical doctor in Rivers State had died from the EVD.
Chief among information provided by the RVSG were the name of the doctor who died as a result of the EVD infection, the name of his hospital and the details of the decontamination of the hotel where the diplomat and ECOWAS staff who infected him stayed while in Port Harcourt, the state capital.
The Rivers State Commissioner for Health, Samson Parker, told newsmen in the early hours ofThursday that a Nigerian Diplomat, who was a primary contact with the index case of the EVD in Nigeria, the late Patrick Sawyer, infected the late doctor.
The doctor’s name was given as Iyke Sam-Enemuo.
His hospital, Sam Steel Clinic, is said to be on the East-West Road at Rumuokoro.
Sam-Enemuo was said to have died on Friday.
The Nigerian diplomat who caused his death was said to have sneaked out of where he was quarantined in Lagos State to get treatment at Sam Steel’s Hospital in Rivers State.
But this was after he had stayed in one of the hotels in Port Harcourt.
The doctor was said to have ignorantly treated the diplomat.
Sam-Enemuo’s wife, who is said to have a three-month-old baby, is also reported to be down with symptoms of the EVD.
Both mother and baby have been quarantined in Port Harcourt.
Parker said the hospitals and hotels involved in the EVD spread have been decontaminated.
Parker said over 100 persons, including primary and secondary contacts of the late Sam-Enemuo have been placed under surveillance.
Members of the public have been advised to call these numbers: 0816773393 and 0703632176 to report any suspected case of EVD.
People are now being scanned before they are allowed entrance into some public hospitals, while experts from Emory University Hospital in the United States of America are on ground to train Rivers State Health Officials on how to tackle the outbreak.
Chukwu had earlier on Thursday said a Nigerian medical doctor died of Ebola virus in Port Harcourt.
Chukwu told a news conference in Abuja that “this primary contact of Mr. Sawyer’s evaded our surveillance team in the last week of July 2014 and travelled out of Lagos to Port Harcourt.
“He consulted with a doctor and was apparently treated for some symptoms.
“After four days, following a manhunt for him, he returned to Lagos, by which time he was found to be without symptoms.
“This case would have been of no further interest since he had completed the 21 days of surveillance without any issue, but for the fact that the doctor who treated him died last Friday, August 22.
“Following the report of this death by the doctor’s widow the next day, the case had been thoroughly investigated and laboratory analysis showed that this doctor died of Ebola.”
The minister said the number of deaths arising from Ebola in Nigeria was now six.
He said: “Lagos had 13 cases, seven were treated and discharged.”
Chukwu said because the widow was symptomatic, she had been quarantined pending the outcome of laboratory tests.
He said as a result, several contacts had been traced, registered and placed under surveillance.
The minister said an Incident Management Committee had already deployed a team to Port Harcourt to work with the health authorities.
Chukwu stressed that just like the situation was effectively managed in Lagos and Enugu, the situation in Port Harcourt would also be managed.
He appealed to all contacts under surveillance to abide by the advice given to them by the Incident Management Committee.
The Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, urged Nigerians to cooperate with the authority in combating the disease.
Maku said: “We can only defeat the disease with citizens’ cooperation.
“We appeal to those under surveillance to please abide by the rule.
“Do not travel.”
Maku urged Nigerians not to relent in observing and maintaining good hygiene practices, stressing that it was disastrous to assume that the disease had been contained so one would not contract it again.
He urged the media to re-enforce the awareness of the disease as it was a continuous fight and that nobody should take hygiene practices for granted.
He added: “Dealing with an epidemic has to do with education.
“A lot of the work has to do with the media.
“We are very important frontier fighters.”
Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by desgiezd(m): 4:45pm On Aug 28, 2014
Sawyer defied all advises and travelled to Nigeria thereby importing Ebola to Nigeria just the same way the Nigerian Diplomat defied advises and travelled to Port Harcourt and infected the people there.
Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by cirmuell(m): 5:08pm On Aug 28, 2014
How did a primary contact with index case evade your surveillance team incompetent dumbos? angry

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by theplanmaker: 5:08pm On Aug 28, 2014
should i say the doctor deserved death? A patient presented with typical ebola symptoms, and he still admitted him? He himself came down with symptoms and he didn't alert the authorities or better still quarantined himself? if not for this 2, ebola would have been history in Nigeria
Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by Nobody: 6:21pm On Aug 28, 2014
Does it sound unbelievable to you?

Thats because it is not true!
theplanmaker: should i say the doctor deserved death? A patient presented with typical ebola symptoms, and he still admitted him? He himself came down with symptoms and he didn't alert the authorities or better still quarantined himself? if not for this 2, ebola would have been history in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 28, 2014
Ebola is a hoax
Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by danot1030: 6:37pm On Aug 28, 2014
If Sawyer was classified as crazy by d president I think this diplomat is a mad lunatic, weere, oyanra, auka......

1 Like

Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by kmariko: 7:20pm On Aug 28, 2014
Am sure Nigerian medical schools have "Medical Ethics" as part of their curriculum....
And a "well" trained doctor knowing that a patient has a highy contagious disease disregared all aspect of his "medical training" to create havoc and misery to his wife, child and the larger society because of his love for money.

NMA you have truly failed this country period.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:22pm On Aug 28, 2014
And we thought sawyer was the only crazy man.. undecided undecided
Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by GetUmad: 8:26pm On Aug 28, 2014
GenBuhari: Ebola is a hoax
Pls call one of the numbers above ASAP.

Nairalanders pls beware, the quoted dude is already infected, although his own is more of psychological than physical. The dude is already showing symptoms of ebola-psychosis.

Same naive and I-sabi-pass-my-neighbor mentality Nigerians had on this ebola scourge prior to its entry into the country, which made us not to have taken adequate precautionery measures.

dont know why ITK too bokuu for naija like this. eveeyone is a conspiracy theorist

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 28, 2014
Stop panicking you are not going to die - its a hoax

Did you remember that Liberian protestors realised the hoax and raided an Ebola centre and rescued their relatives?

Another thing that does not add up.

GetUmad:

Nairalanders pls beware, the quoted dude is already infected, although his own is psychological.

Same naive and I-sabi-pass-my-neighbor mentality Nigerians had on this ebola scourge prior to its entry into the country, which made us not to have taken precautionery measures.
Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by GetUmad: 8:38pm On Aug 28, 2014
GenBuhari: Stop panicking you are not going to die - its a hoax

Did you remember that Liberian protestors realised the hoax and raided an Ebola centre and rescued their relatives?

ok sir. could u do me a favor? pay a visit to any of the ebola treatment centers unprotected to tell them its all a hoax. but kindly drive yourself thereafter, directly to Gwoza or sambisa preferably, while avoiding contact with anybody except probably , policemen collecting bribes on highway or any jobless military officer harrasing harmless civilian.
thanks in aadvance.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by Nobody: 8:46pm On Aug 28, 2014
I said stop panicking ebola would not kill you. Its a hoax
GetUmad:
ok sir. could u do me a favor? pay a visit to any of the ebola treatment centers unprotected to tell them its all a hoax. but kindly drive yourself thereafter, directly to Gwoza or sambisa preferably, while avoiding contact with anybody except probably , policemen collecting bribes on highway or any jobless military officer harrasing harmless civilian.
thanks in aadvance.
Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by Arosa(m): 8:46pm On Aug 28, 2014
In Nigeria when they say people are under surveillance, what they really mean is that they don't know their whereabouts. surveillance indeed! grin
I also think this so called diplomate should be arrested after he is given an 'all-clear' and be charged for murder.

3 Likes

Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by gbadexy(m): 9:46pm On Aug 28, 2014
How come the doctor got infected and died of ebola while the patient was not with the virus after the 21 days window period.
This ebola case in nigeria defies how it is reported to transmit.
I thought a victim can only infect others at the late stage when the person must have been sick but this doctor got infected and died with the patient he treated still okay after 21 days observation.
Same thing happened with the nurse that infected her fiancee even though she wasn't sick then.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by Arosa(m): 9:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
gbadexy: How come the doctor got infected and died of ebola while the patient was not with the virus after the 21 days window period.
I thought a victim can only infect others at the late stage when the person must have been sick but this doctor got infected and died with the patient he treated still okay after 21 days observation.
Same thing happened with the nurse that infected her fiancee even though she wasn't sick then.

There are a lot we don't know about ebola. I asked a question weeks ago about this EVD but nobody could answer it. This is the question below: lipsrsealed
Think about this case scenario, A man touches an Ebola sick person, he becomes infected. As the ebola virus is on his hands, he touches another person, that person is also infected. The question is, how long will this virus remain on his hands as a contagion before he becomes a main source of the disease ? (hours, days, mouths?)

1 Like

Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by MARKone(m): 10:05pm On Aug 28, 2014
God help us in this country

So many questions...
Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by Joy83(m): 11:04pm On Aug 28, 2014
This is a very hazardous issue, who knows if the person beside you has contacted the virus EBOLA.
Na God Hand I dey oooo

1 Like

Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by vedd: 11:40pm On Aug 28, 2014
GenBuhari: I said stop panicking ebola would not kill you. Its a hoax
Grow up, get informed, and stop fooling around! angry

5 Likes

Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by Nobody: 11:46pm On Aug 28, 2014
So being informed is ignoring all the evidence that ebola is not deadly (if it exists at all) and listening to propaganda from CNN and BBC?The the most dangerous epidemic in Nigeria is sheep mentality , guess that is the reason you cannot see the light.
vedd:
Grow up, get informed, and stop fooling around! angry
Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by bigass(f): 11:49pm On Aug 28, 2014
You deserve to be banned

3 Likes

Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by vodkat: 11:56pm On Aug 28, 2014

People like u are what made the diesease to spread in the first place. Is this a joking matter u know how many ppl have died because of it and u r saying its a hoax. If not contained his Ebola plague can grind subsahara africa and nigeria to a halt.

If 1 man can cause the death of so many people
What if we will happen when it mulitplys

1 Like

Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by Nobody: 12:00am On Aug 29, 2014
Banned because I said not to panic?

Are you serious?

The idea of a forum is exchange views, if we all had the same views then nobody will even bother logging on.

I will say it again stop panicking Ebola is not gonna kill you.

sheep mentality is the illness that could kill
bigass:
You deserve to be banned
Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by Nobody: 12:03am On Aug 29, 2014
On the contrary more people have died from the unnecessary panic.

What of the 20 people who died from drinking salt water?

Stop panicking Ebola is not going to kill you but sheep mentality probably would.
vodkat:

People like u are what made the diesease to spread in the first place. Is this a joking matter u know how many ppl have died because of it and u r saying its a hoax. If not contained his Ebola plague can grind subsahara africa and nigeria to a halt.

If 1 man can cause the death of so many people
What if we will happen when it mulitplys

Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by Nobody: 12:27am On Aug 29, 2014
gbadexy: How come the doctor got infected and died of ebola while the patient was not with the virus after the 21 days window period.

Same thing I wonder
We were told Ebola is not infectious till the late stages
Was the diplomat very sick and then recovered?
Are they sure the doctor died of Ebola?

1 Like

Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by Ezyp(m): 4:13am On Aug 29, 2014
Arosa:

There are a lot we don't know about ebola. I asked a question weeks ago about this EVD but nobody could answer it. This is the question below: lipsrsealed
well I don't know how long it can survive outside on human skin but I read weeks back it can be active up to 3-4weeks on room temperature.
Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by Nobody: 4:36am On Aug 29, 2014
chances are that he did not die at all.
I believe people are being bribed to take part in the hoax.

Remember the Liberians who raided the Ebola treatment centre?

Well they realised Ebola was a hoax, because they are not seeing any evidence in their communities until the Ebola centres arrive.

So they went and freed their people.

Another thing that doesn't add up is that the amount of doctors and medical staff contracting this illness - an illness that is less contagious than measles, TB, Influenza (according to even the propagandists)

In a tv interview 31st July 2014 Liberia's president said they have recorded 47deaths and 28 were Doctors/medical staff which leaves 19 actual patients have died. That is so illogical.

28 doctors dead and only 19 patients dead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IGx66evPmk&index=2&list=PLRzmuN0KKXK_1hw06OM4sBq-Nj4ymIevF

babyosisi:

Same thing I wonder
Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by EMANY01(m): 5:38am On Aug 29, 2014
GetUmad:

Nairalanders pls beware, the quoted dude is already infected, although his own is more of psychological than physical. The dude is already showing symptoms of ebola-psychosis.

The mad a.ss just spits out conspiracy theories on nairaland all the time.

Same naive and I-sabi-pass-my-neighbor mentality Nigerians had on this ebola scourge prior to its entry into the country, which made us not to have taken adequate precautionery measures.

dont know why ITK too bokuu for naija like this. eveeyone is a conspiracy theorist
Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by eaglechild: 6:32am On Aug 29, 2014

You deserve a life ban
angry angry angry angry angry
I have persistently pleaded with you to desist from such act yet you refuse to listen.

These are real people we are talking about.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by eaglechild: 6:35am On Aug 29, 2014
babyosisi:

Same thing I wonder
You should recall the incubation period is a wide range 2-21, after which the patient is infective.
For the diplomat to have sought treatment in a hospital, it means he was ill.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by Nobody: 6:42am On Aug 29, 2014
Imagine, he escaped from quarantine? He be ghost?? Nigeria is just a joke...

That silly diplomat deserves to die by hanging. . angry angry
Re: Ebola: How Nigerian Diplomat Infected Doctor, Wife, Their Three-month-old Baby by adorable29(f): 6:53am On Aug 29, 2014

Stop spoiling Buhari, your mentor's name by displaying such ignorance.

What step have you taken to PROVE its not real. Did you conduct some test or do some serious research to come to the conclusion that its not real?
Or you read some conspiracy theory somewhere and became gullible enough to believe that its a hoax!

Talking about sheep mentality, I think you are the one suffering from it.

Atleast my own "sheep mentality" comes with logic, proofs, pictures, etc. Yours comes with nothing!

Or could it be you had rather more people disregard the warnings on Ebola prevention and die so it will be a slight on Jonathan's administration? If so, you must be evil.

#just thinking aloud

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cameroon Military Announces The Killing Of Boko Haram Leader Abubakar Shekau / #they Will Go And Drink A Drunk That Will Kill Them# Says; Patiance Jonathan# / South East Results Will Dissappoint GEJ.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.