Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,216 members, 7,780,402 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:40 PM

Active GPS Car Trackers Vs Passive GPS Trackers - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Active GPS Car Trackers Vs Passive GPS Trackers (1411 Views)

Advantages And Disadvantages Of Active And Passive GPS Car/ Fleet Trackers. / Contact Us For Your Car Trackers Installation(home Service Available) / Gsm/gps Car Tracking Device (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Active GPS Car Trackers Vs Passive GPS Trackers by obidevine(m): 8:53pm On Aug 28, 2014
There are 2 types of GPS car trackers ..I.e... Passive GPS car trackers and Active GPS trackers...

There is a fundamental difference between the two types, and knowing what this difference is will help you decide on the best GPS tracking device for your needs.

Passive trackers do not monitor movement in real-time.  When using a passive GPS tracker, you will not be able to follow every last move that a tracked person or object makes. Instead, information that is stored inside of a passive tracker must be downloaded to a computer.  Once tracking details have been downloaded, it is then possible to view tracking details.  Passive tracking details usually include stops made, directions traveled, and time and date information.

After you have gathered all of the information you need from a passive tracker, you can place the tracker back on the same (or different) vehicle.  You can also place a passive tracker inside of a bag, lunchbox, article of clothing, or other object.  Aside from the fact that a passive tracking device is entirely reliable, the main reason people choose passive trackers is that these devices are less expensive than active trackers.  Most passive GPS tracking devices are not attached to a monthly fee, which makes these trackers affordable.

In contrast to passive devices, active GPS trackers will allow you to view tracking data in real-time.  As soon as you place an active tracker on a vehicle (or other object), you will be able to view location, stop duration, speed, and other tracking details from the comfort of your home or office. Active GPS trackers are ideal when it comes to monitoring elderly people and children, since keeping track of these individuals will help to keep them out of harm's way.

While active tracking devices are more expensive than passive devices (most come with monthly fees), these expenses are usually justified.  Simply choose an active GPS tracker that comes with a reliable interface (and excellent tracking software), and you will be able to track anything or anyone quickly and efficiently.

Deciding whether to purchase an active or passive GPS tracking device is a personal choice.  However, active devices are generally used for tracking people who you want to keep a close eye on, while passive devices are best used for keeping track of someone loosely.  Either way, both active and passive devices are well worth the initial cost.

Real-Time GPS Tracking

There are a lot of terms associated with GPS tracking devices. One term that you are bound to come across when shopping for a GPS tracker is: "real-time."  Some GPS trackers are not considered real-time trackers, and some work only in real-time.  The main difference between the two is that a real-time tracker does exactly what it sounds like: tracks subjects or objects in real-time.

When most people picture a GPS tracking device, they are picture a real-time tracker.  These trackers can be attached to any object while a person monitors all activity from a home computer.  For example,  if you were to place a real-time tracker on a vehicle, you could then watch as the vehicle makes stops, takes alternate routes, and sits idling – all in real-time. GPS trackers that work on a real-time basis are usually considered "active" trackers, while those that do not include real-time tracking are considered "passive" trackers.

There are many advantages associated with choosing a real time tracker.  The number one reason that most people select a real time GPS locater is convenience. Rather than waiting to download data to a computer (as is the case with most passive trackers), a tracker that works in real-time does not require any waiting.  Since real-time trackers come with software that allows a user to track an object in real-time, watching any object's progress is simply a matter of sitting at a computer.

In most instances, real-time trackers are more expensive than other trackers, though these expenses are often justifiable.  When you want to keep an eye on a child or a person who suffers from Alzheimer's (or other disease) or a sneaky teenage kid who takes your car out when you're at work or one of your truck drivers who always tells you your truck made a stop somewhere and in reality it did not , nothing beats a real-time tracker.  Simply by monitoring a person with a real-time tracker, you can keep this person away from danger.  Were you to rely on a passive tracker for the same purpose, you may not be able to prevent a person from coming in contact with a harmful situation.

Whether or not you decide to purchase a real-time tracker depends upon your individual situation.  However, real-time trackers should not be overlooked.  While these trackers are more expensive than trackers that don't operate in real-time, they are the best option for tracking a person in need.
Re: Active GPS Car Trackers Vs Passive GPS Trackers by johnwell(m): 9:13pm On Aug 28, 2014
wow, this is lovely
Re: Active GPS Car Trackers Vs Passive GPS Trackers by obidevine(m): 9:33pm On Aug 28, 2014
@ johnwell.. That's very true am an expert.. I install and service GPS car trackers.. My numbers are 08066696890 or 08026468543.
Re: Active GPS Car Trackers Vs Passive GPS Trackers by johnwell(m): 5:46pm On Aug 29, 2014
obidevine: @ johnwell.. That's very true am an expert.. I install and service GPS car trackers.. My numbers are 08066696890 or 08026468543.

Where is your location?
Re: Active GPS Car Trackers Vs Passive GPS Trackers by obidevine(m): 8:29am On Aug 30, 2014
johnwell:

Where is your location?
m. We are based in Lagos , but as you know the world is a global village, we have branches outside Lagos, are you on facebook if you are you can search for me and add me using my email address (obidevine@yahoo.com) so we can have a live chat. Thank you.
Re: Active GPS Car Trackers Vs Passive GPS Trackers by dubemdenzel: 9:00pm On Sep 05, 2014
How can u install a GPS car tracker on a vehicle at EKET in AKwa ibom state. Do u have agents in the south or is ur scope of operations Lagos based alone . 08037775713 let's have ur rates too .
Re: Active GPS Car Trackers Vs Passive GPS Trackers by obidevine(m): 11:24pm On Sep 05, 2014
@ dubemdenzel I just read your message we have technicians in Benin, Warri, Abuja, PH and Kaduna. You can reach me on 08066696890.
Re: Active GPS Car Trackers Vs Passive GPS Trackers by obidevine(m): 11:30pm On Sep 05, 2014
dubemdenzel: How can u install a GPS car tracker on a vehicle at EKET in AKwa ibom state. Do u have agents in the south or is ur scope of operations Lagos based alone . 08037775713 let's have ur rates too .
. ............ @ dubemdenzel I just read your message we have technicians in Benin, Warri, Abuja, PH and Kaduna. You can reach me on 08066696890.
Re: Active GPS Car Trackers Vs Passive GPS Trackers by SaintEddie: 10:25am On Sep 06, 2014
How much is the price for both passive and active trackers?
Re: Active GPS Car Trackers Vs Passive GPS Trackers by obidevine(m): 10:32am On Sep 06, 2014
SaintEddie: ...How much is the price for both passive and active trackers?
... Passive trackers are not as efficient as active trackers.... Passive trackers go for 40,000 and no annual fees, Active trackers on d other hand goes for 45k and u pay an annual subscription fee depending on the company dats handling your tracking services. But most NCC (Nigeria Communications Commission) licenced companies don't undertake passive tracking.
Re: Active GPS Car Trackers Vs Passive GPS Trackers by obidevine(m): 10:33am On Sep 06, 2014
Passive trackers are not as efficient as active trackers.... Passive trackers go for 40,000 and no annual fees, Active trackers on d other hand goes for 45k and u pay an annual subscription fee depending on the company dats handling your tracking services. But most NCC (Nigeria Communications Commission) licenced companies don't undertake passive tracking.

(1) (Reply)

Fairly Used Toyota Corolla Sport Edition For Just N1.150m / Clean Used 7.5kva Honda Petrol Generator For Sale (70,000) / Re-Clean Maxima 2001 For Sale- price reduced

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.