Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,763 members, 7,802,328 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:34 PM

More Cores Or More RAM, Which Is More Important? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / More Cores Or More RAM, Which Is More Important? (15368 Views)

Google Simulates The Human Brain With 1000 Machines And 16000 Cores / Amd And The New Cores Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Cores Or More RAM, Which Is More Important? by Justiceotuya(m): 8:36am On Aug 29, 2014
These days we are more ‘spec-consious’ of the gadgets we buy. Before now, we didn’t really care to note the raw specs of our gadgets. Things like RAM size, processor cores, clock speed, the GPU etc, were rarely taken into consideration. Before now, once the camera is good, with a large enough internal memory, then maybe with added sleekness, we buy without looking back. These are the things Nokia capitalized on during theirhey days. Selling us flagship phones with low RAM , good camera and huge internal memory. Nowadays, manufacturers throw specs to our faces. In phone launch events, you hear terms like, “So so phone comes with so so processor clocked at so so speed, with so so RAM size”. The purpose of this write up is to enlighten us on what processor and RAM means, and how it affects our gadgets performance-wise. This will guide you in making proper choices in the future. Take a seat, grab a bowl of popcorn and enjoy the lecture.
Processor (CPU):
Just as the name implies, It processes all tasks running on your gadget. Any app you run uses some of the processing power, and how resourse-demanding the task is, reflects on how much load it’s going to put on the CPU. Multiple core CPU’s have a greater advantage because your running tasks are divided into different sections of the processor based on the load. This allows things to get done faster. That’s the reason why a quad-core phones will perform faster than a dual-core phone. When you’re doing things such as rendering video, it totally relys on your CPU, (Unless you enabled GPU acceleration in the media player) .
RAM:
Simply put, RAM is a form of computer memory, that stores all your sessions. Anytime you restart your computer/phone or log off,whatever was saved on the RAM is deleted,unlike in a hard-drive. When you open any application, the system files needed to run that application are stored on your RAM. This implies that, the more applications you have open, the less RAM you have available. If you open too many applications at once, you can run out of RAM and freeze up our computer/phone. Once you restart your computer or end your current session by logging out, everything that was on the RAM is cleared. So we can say that a gadget with 1GB of RAM will multitask better than a device with 512MB of RAM.
So which of these two is more important?
It boils down to what you want for yourself. Do you prefer your apps to run speedily and smoothly? Then go for more cores. Or do you want to run so many apps simultaneously without freeze? Then you need plenty plenty of (Aboki) RAM
There are some things you’ll need to consider or take note of:
*.Some applications need more RAM than others, this is a factor of what you will be doing with your gadget.
*.Your CPU speed will determine how fast your applications will run, and what kind of applications you can run. So you need to take note of the CPU speed too.
*.Know the kind of softwares you’ll be running on your gadget (laptops especially), and also know the minimum amount of system resources it requires to be run smoothly.
With this knowledge, next time you plan to get a new phone, PC or whatever gadget, you can now decide what you want, and filter your search to get something that will suit your needs, if its more cores or more of (Aboki) RAM

source: http://mobility.ng/more-cores-or-more-ram-which-is-more-paltry/#comment-259977

2 Likes

Re: More Cores Or More RAM, Which Is More Important? by swaystunna(m): 9:18pm On Aug 31, 2014
Nice.. Another knowlege gained !
Re: More Cores Or More RAM, Which Is More Important? by vintino(m): 9:11pm On Sep 03, 2014
God bless ur brain
Re: More Cores Or More RAM, Which Is More Important? by pat077: 5:24pm On Sep 12, 2014
which of dis system ve a higher spec: a system wit quad core or d one wit a core i3 processor?
Re: More Cores Or More RAM, Which Is More Important? by Justiceotuya(m): 7:26pm On Sep 12, 2014
pat077: which of dis system ve a higher spec: a system wit quad core or d one wit a core i3 processor?
you can compare these, one is a reference to the number of cores (quad core which is 4 cores) while the other is a reference to a line of product which may or may not have quad cores
Re: More Cores Or More RAM, Which Is More Important? by kentochi(m): 11:59am On Sep 13, 2014
Justiceotuya:
you can compare these, one is a reference to the number of cores (quad core which is 4 cores) while the other is a reference to a line of product which may or may not have quad cores
thanks for this great lecture
pls do explain more on quad core,i3core,i5 and i7
the best and the highest among them thanks
Re: More Cores Or More RAM, Which Is More Important? by kentochi(m): 12:00pm On Sep 13, 2014
Justiceotuya:
the best and the highest among them thanks .
Re: More Cores Or More RAM, Which Is More Important? by Justiceotuya(m): 4:29pm On Sep 13, 2014
kentochi:
the best and the highest among them thanks

it depends on what you want to do with the laptop but the best is core i7.
Re: More Cores Or More RAM, Which Is More Important? by damiosy(m): 12:30pm On Sep 18, 2014
The Cores are more important let say an i7 with atleast a 2.00ghz processor speed cuz ram can be upgraded depending on the board which can accommodate the upgrade
Re: More Cores Or More RAM, Which Is More Important? by BuhBye: 4:53pm On Sep 18, 2014
None is more important than the other.
Re: More Cores Or More RAM, Which Is More Important? by Melkuk: 12:56am On Sep 19, 2014
This is great, really great enlightenment. A question please, any technical difference between the "dual core" and "core 2 duo"?
Re: More Cores Or More RAM, Which Is More Important? by Nobody: 11:39am On Sep 19, 2014
Melkuk: This is great, really great enlightenment. A question please, any technical difference between the "dual core" and "core 2 duo"?
they are basically the same...Intel are the One causing this whole shit with their stupid naming.

Dual core processors contain 2 cores in a single silicon chip....

Core 2 duo is just the name given by Intel to its second line of dual core processors.

(1) (Reply)

Fiber Optics or VSAT, which way to go? / 10 Reasons Not To Buy An Ipad (students) / Must See:how To Get A Macbook Pro For Free (100% Genuine)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.