Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,760 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:47 PM

Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram (2508 Views)

Davis Ikanya Covering Arrested INEC Official's Face (Photos) / Sambo Dansuki's Shaddy Deals Were Part Of Steven Davis' Report To Jonathan / Buhari Explains Why He Missed A Meeting On Boko Haram At The UN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by SUBMARINE: 1:12pm On Aug 29, 2014
Obiagelli:
you can only rig elections where you are popular, gej got 1.14 million votes in Anambra in 2011
While the total number of votes cast in Anambra 2014 election is 442, 242. Tell me this is not rigging.

Btw Ojukwu and OBJ who do Igbos love the most and who won more votes illegally in the SE in 2003 election.?
Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 1:13pm On Aug 29, 2014
mikeansy:

Where did you get your alternative figure of number of votes cast?
do you have your own contrary figures? Google brother.
Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 1:17pm On Aug 29, 2014
SUBMARINE:

Btw Ojukwu and OBJ who do Igbos love the most and who won more votes illegally in the SE in 2003 election.?
how did Ojukwu loose senatorial elections?

1 Like

Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 1:18pm On Aug 29, 2014
Obiagelli:
do you have your own contrary figures? Google brother.

Google?

How can google know?

I will rely more on Inec results or exit poll numbers
Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by SUBMARINE: 1:19pm On Aug 29, 2014
Obiagelli:
how did Ojukwu loose senatorial elections?

It was rigged out of fear that he would rise again. Am I lying.?
Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 1:22pm On Aug 29, 2014
SUBMARINE:

It was rigged out of fear that he would rise again.
rigged again? Anyway you have not addressed the numbers i gave you showing how gej rigged 2011 in the SE.

1 Like

Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 1:24pm On Aug 29, 2014
mikeansy:

Google?

How can google know?

I will rely more on Inec results or exit poll numbers
Google will not show you inec's website? Should i bring election sheets to you?

1 Like

Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 1:24pm On Aug 29, 2014
Those searching for sponsors of Boko Haram have embarked on an endless and futile endeavour going by the activities of the group so far.

Here is a report by Reuters on how Boko Haram sources the funds for its operations
How Boko Haram is beating U.S. efforts to choke its financing
Tue, Jul 01 07:24

By Phil Stewart and Lesley Wroughton
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - When Washington imposed sanctions in June 2012 on Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau, he dismissed it as an empty gesture.

Two years later, Shekau’s skepticism appears well founded: his Islamic militant group is now the biggest security threat to Africa's top oil producer, is richer than ever, more violent and its abductions of women and children continue with impunity.

As the United States, Nigeria and others struggle to track and choke off its funding, Reuters interviews with more than a dozen current and former U.S. officials who closely follow Boko Haram provide the most complete picture to date of how the group finances its activities.

Central to the militant group’s approach includes using hard-to-track human couriers to move cash, relying on local funding sources and engaging in only limited financial relationships with other extremists groups. It also has reaped millions from high-profile kidnappings.

"Our suspicions are that they are surviving on very lucrative criminal activities that involve kidnappings," U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Linda Thomas-Greenfield said in an interview.

Until now, U.S. officials have declined to discuss Boko Haram’s financing in such detail.

The United States has stepped up cooperation with Nigeria to gather intelligence on Boko Haram, whose militants are killing civilians almost daily in its northeastern Nigerian stronghold. But the lack of international financial ties to the group limit the measures the United States can use to undermine it, such as financial sanctions.

The U.S. Treasury normally relies on a range of measures to track financial transactions of terrorist groups, but Boko Haram appears to operate largely outside the banking system.

To fund its murderous network, Boko Haram uses primarily a system of couriers to move cash around inside Nigeria and across the porous borders from neighboring African states, according to the officials interviewed by Reuters.

In designating Boko Haram as a terrorist organization last year, the Obama administration characterized the group as a violent extremist organization with links to al Qaeda.

The Treasury Department said in a statement to Reuters that the United States has seen evidence that Boko Haram has received financial support from Al Qaeda in the Islamic Magreb (AQIM), an offshoot of the jihadist group founded by Osama bin Laden.

But that support is limited. Officials with deep knowledge of Boko Haram's finances say that any links with al Qaeda or its affiliates are inconsequential to Boko Haram's overall funding.

"Any financial support AQIM might still be providing Boko Haram would pale in comparison to the resources it gets from criminal activities," said one U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Assessments differ, but one U.S. estimate of financial transfers from AQIM was in the low hundreds of thousands of dollars. That compares with the millions of dollars that Boko Haram is estimated to make through its kidnap and ransom operations.

LUCRATIVE KIDNAPPING RACKET
Ransoms appear to be the main source of funding for Boko Haram's five-year-old Islamist insurgency in Nigeria, whose 170 million people are split roughly evenly between Christians and Muslims, said the U.S. officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

In February last year, armed men on motorcycles snatched Frenchman Tanguy Moulin-Fournier, his wife and four children, and his brother while they were on holiday near the Waza national park in Cameroon, close to the Nigerian border.

Boko Haram was paid an equivalent of about $3.15 million by French and Cameroonian negotiators before the hostages were released, according to a confidential Nigerian government report later obtained by Reuters.

Figures vary on how much Boko Haram earns from kidnappings. Some U.S. officials estimate the group is paid as much as $1 million for the release of each abducted wealthy Nigerian.

It is widely assumed in Nigeria that Boko Haram receives support from religious sympathizers inside the country, including some wealthy professionals and northern Nigerians who dislike the government, although little evidence has been made public to support that assertion.

Read more
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0F636920140701?irpc=932
I think what we have are sympathisers and supporters of Boko Haram who provide support to the activities of the group, on ground and online, through subtle means. Besides, Boko Haram is an ideology and as such, if I believe in Boko Haram, I can provide support for its activities even from the comfort of my living room

2 Likes

Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 1:28pm On Aug 29, 2014
Obiagelli:

So if you see results on Inec website you reference google?

Please show us how Inec reported 400k total votes cast in anambra but over 1million votes for Jonathan in same state.
Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by SUBMARINE: 1:30pm On Aug 29, 2014
Obiagelli:
rigged again? Anyway you have not addressed the numbers i gave you showing how gej rigged 2011 in the SE.

1) So Ojukwu's senatorial election was not rigged. Pls tell me something.
2) Igbos might not give a damn about governorship election. But any Federal person who is pro-Igbo will always get the votes of those Igbos who don't even like politics.
That singular act of Jona giving an Igbo man Chief Of Army Staff in 2010, surprised the Igbos that an Ijaw could forgive Igbos. As the bible teaches " Feed your enemies be good to them. This will cause them to repent of their thoughts towards you."
Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by SUBMARINE: 1:32pm On Aug 29, 2014
Obiagelli:

Pls bring
Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 1:32pm On Aug 29, 2014
mikeansy:

you mean you just typed Google.com and you were expecting inec results? Abeg i no get time.

1 Like

Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 1:33pm On Aug 29, 2014
mikeansy:

you mean you just typed Google.com and you were expecting inec results? Abeg i no get time. Discuss the numbers or post yours

1 Like

Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 1:35pm On Aug 29, 2014
SUBMARINE:

1) So Ojukwu's senatorial election was not rigged. Pls tell me something.
2) Igbos might not give a damn about governorship election. But any Federal person who is pro-Igbo will always get the votes of those Igbos who don't even like politics.
That singular act of Jona giving an Igbo man Chief Of Army Staff in 2010, surprised the Igbos that an Ijaw could forgive Igbos. As the bible teaches " Feed your enemies be good to them. This will cause them to repent of their thoughts towards you."
lol, its now a case of they don't give a damn about gubernatorial election in Anambra, tell me another story.

1 Like

Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by SUBMARINE: 1:36pm On Aug 29, 2014
Sincere9gerian: Those searching for sponsors of Boko Haram have embarked on an endless and futile endeavour going by the activities of the group so far.

Here is a report by Reuters on how Boko Haram sources the funds for its operations

I think what we have are sympathisers and supporters of Boko Haram who provide support to the activities of the group, on ground and online, through subtle means. Besides, Boko Haram is an ideology and as such, if I believe in Boko Haram, I can provide support for its activities even from the comfort of my living room

Zakat paid in mosques, local traders kiosks hawkers beggars business men all over Nigeria and as usual politicians.
Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 1:37pm On Aug 29, 2014
SUBMARINE:

Pls bring
bring where? abeg i get other things to do.

1 Like

Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by SUBMARINE: 1:41pm On Aug 29, 2014
Obiagelli:
lol, its now a case of they don't give a damn about gubernatorial election in Anambra, tell me another story.

You can't compare it with the joy of seeing a person who will wipe away your tears.
Let me advice you and your tribes men, in politics learn how to acknowledge your mistake and say sorry. It will go a long way in helping you breakdown resistance. Igbos acknowledged how their elites marginalised the minorities which helped them repent of their sins and today we are reaping the benefits.
Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by SUBMARINE: 1:50pm On Aug 29, 2014
Obiagelli:
bring where? abeg i get other things to do.

Let me tell you about the future if Nigeria survives disintegration.
Very soon Northern minorities will be liberated and the future of the Igbos Yorubas and Hausas will be determined by their relationship with the minorities. Continue resistance offered to the minorities will only stir up anti-yoruba sentiments which will cause you guys a lot.
2011 election and the confab should be an eye opener. The minorities are already stress out by incessant killings and their faith in one Nigeria shattered by the opposition experienced by Jona.
So help your people by rejecting the urge to spite JOna
Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by agabaI23(m): 1:57pm On Aug 29, 2014
dridowu: Hmmmmm, though the boko haram may just have mention any1 as their sponsor inorder to cause confusion . But i will blame Ihejirika for his recent outburst about El-Rufai as one of the brain behind boko haram , as the COAS he was suppose to use his post to arrest any1 that he suspect as boko haram brain but he does not want to step on toes.
One thing i believe that once the government is fully ready to stop boko boiz , then they must use full force to conquer them.
The question remains "we the government step on toes " ?
Like the article said, where is the proof? You need airtight proof to lay hand on anybody as a sponsor otherwise it will tagged political witch hunt. So don't blame Ihejirika
Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by dridowu: 2:12pm On Aug 29, 2014
agabaI23: Like the article said, where is the proof? You need airtight proof to lay hand on anybody as a sponsor otherwise it will tagged political witch hunt. So don't blame Ihejirika
So Ihejirika has no proof yet he name El-Rufai has one of the brain behind boko ? Then while naming without concrete proof but El-Rufai on the hand provide the link to its news where Ihejirka was named not that he categorically mention Ihejirka name , the link is AriseTv , a sister company to Thisday Newspaper, which most PDP lovers believe they are unbias in their work ?
Now who do we blame El-Rufai, AriseTv, Ihejirika , Australian Negatiator or Boko Boiz ?

1 Like

Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by agabaI23(m): 2:20pm On Aug 29, 2014
dridowu: So Ihejirika has no proof yet he name El-Rufai has one of the brain behind boko ? Then while naming without concrete proof but El-Rufai on the hand provide the link to its news where Ihejirka was named not that he categorically mention Ihejirka name , the link is AriseTv , a sister company to Thisday Newspaper, which most PDP lovers believe they are unbias in their work ?
Now who do we blame El-Rufai, AriseTv, Ihejirika , Australian Negatiator or Boko Boiz ?
I suggest you read the portion of that article where he talked about the proof.

Lets look at this scenario: You caught a man and a woman having sex and they quickly dressed up an ran away. You had no camera but you saw them having sex, what proof will you give to convince anyone or does it mean they were not having sex because you have no tangible proof?

1 Like

Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by agabaI23(m): 3:28pm On Aug 29, 2014
Obiagelli:
where did you get your numbers from?

1 Like

Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 3:45pm On Aug 29, 2014
agabaI23: where did you get your numbers from?
i shouldn't have to spoon feed an anonymous member of a forum online. Please do a simple search. Thanks.
Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 5:51pm On Aug 29, 2014
Obiagelli:
i shouldn't have to spoon feed an anonymous member of a forum online. Please do a simple search. Thanks.

If you are not prepared to produce evidence then you are simply spreading baseless falsehood
Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 5:57pm On Aug 29, 2014
mikeansy:

If you are not prepared to produce evidence then you are simply spreading baseless falsehood

you are yet to counter my numbers.
Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 6:19pm On Aug 29, 2014
Obiagelli:
you are yet to counter my numbers.

You need to back up your numbers first with evidence before anyone can take it serious enough to counter

Your numbers are made up

Show us which Inec website said 400k voted in anambra but Jonathan got 1 million votes!
Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 29, 2014
mikeansy:

You need to back up your numbers first with evidence before anyone can take it serious enough to counter

Your numbers are made up

Show us which Inec website said 400k voted in anambra but Jonathan got 1 million votes!
even though i owe absolutely nothing

www.inecnigeria.org/?page_id=31

http://nigeriaelections.org/presidential.php
Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 6:53pm On Aug 29, 2014
Obiagelli:
even though i owe absolutely nothing
www.inecnigeria.org/?page_id=31
http://nigeriaelections.org/presidential.php

Please what has votes cast for willie Obiano got to do with Jonathan's election in 2011?

1 Like

Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 7:06pm On Aug 29, 2014
mikeansy:

Please what has votes cast for willie Obiano got to do with Jonathan's election in 2011?
Total number of votes cast
Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 7:06pm On Aug 29, 2014
mikeansy:

Re: Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram by Nobody: 7:16pm On Aug 29, 2014
Obiagelli:
Total number of votes cast

Lol Jonathan was elected in 2011 and willie was elected in 2013

Did you pay attention to the total number of registered voters in Anambra?

Did it occur to you that it is possible for less people to take part in anambra guber election being that their election is held in a different year that is not the nationwide election year?

This is how you guys gather conjectures and present them as facts

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda / Buhari-rejects-n400m-armoured-cars / Did Aisha Buhari Really Visit the USA?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.