Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,752 members, 7,802,307 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:15 PM

A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) (33416 Views)

History Of Ikwerre - The Bini Connection / Brief History Of Nnewi / Aro Roots Of Ikwerre, Igbo Identity Crisis By Chidi Osuagwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Ihuomadinihu: 8:49am On Sep 01, 2014
barcanista: “Ikwerre ethnic
nationality is not and has never been a sub-group of any
other tribe in Nigeria including Ndi-Igbo. There is no
doubt that the advent of the British and later
regionalization put Ndi-Igbo at the helm of affairs in
Eastern Nigeria. This brought Ndi-Igbo into Ikwerre land.
In course of time, the Igbo took advantage of their
position in the then Eastern Regional Government to grab
land in Ikwerre and occupy political positions such as the
mayor of Port Harcourt. In the process, Ikwerre along with
other minority groups were marginalized and driven to the
background.”

Absolutely correct. Same with Other Ethnic Group in the Niger Delta.

Ikwerre bu otu
Ikwerre bu otu is Igbo language not Ikwerre. Pls speak Ikwerre!!

8 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Ihuomadinihu: 8:53am On Sep 01, 2014
UnknownT: Lets say u schooled in Ngwa land, do u and ur brothers understand them when they speak in Ngwa dialect?
Tell them! I am Igbo,i don't understand what they speak in Nsukka and Ebonyi state. Daft confused people!

6 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Ihuomadinihu: 9:17am On Sep 01, 2014
Ikwerreboy:

You're stupid, what you are saying is that Ikwerre now speaks central igbo or what? why cant imo state igbos understand ikwerre?.

For your information,Imo state igbos don't even understand Abia dialects deviod of central igbo words. I am igbo but i don't understand many Igbo dialects unless you become exposed to them for a long time. Ikwerre is an igbo dialect whether you like it or not. This is not even a worthy topic,go and take several seats!! Your ancestors were probably from bini,right now you are all Igbos with no inheritance in Benin. According to Benin history,they had slaves from the igbo hinterlands. These igbos were elevated to various positions ,they were actually banned when they decided to engage the binis in a revolution/civil war. You should read up on Umu Eze Chima and stop wallowing in self inflicted identity crisis!
For your information, Oguta has origins in Anioma, Ohafia with Bini, Arochukwu with Efik/Ibibio, Edda-Ebonyi with Calabars, Nsukka with Idomas, Onitsha with Igalas and Bini. Asaba with Bini. Owerri is the only neutral area even though i believe they intermingled with Ijaws esp the dance system. Haven't heard that Igbo is a NATION! Pls read up on cultural fusion and acculturation, igbos in Bini, ethnic composition of igbos, numerous unintelligible igbo dialects and stop yarning nonesense on public forums.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by 1shortblackboy: 11:31pm On Sep 01, 2014
Was this history of the ikwerres falsified , twisted or fabricated or is it a fact ? No one can categorically say for sure. That is the nature of most African histories of origin. What will one say of the igbos story of originating from isreal, or the yoruba ancestor oduduwa descending from heaven with a shell ans some earth in it and a chicken. Or can u verify d ogisos of d Benin people who came down from d sky ? Bottom line is d people make up the stories of origin and determine who they are. Stop casting insults at ikweree people. Look at ur own peoples history of origin and tell me if u can verify it as a fact

5 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Truckpusher(m): 2:02pm On Sep 02, 2014
The Igbos are pathological liars, bereft of simple logic,diplomacy and always blinded by empty boasts and chest beating like chimpanzees.

Funny enough they claim to be better than every other tribe in Nigeria yet they are being dropped on the backbench of Nigeria's politics then you ask yourself are these guys just too dumb to understand and learn a thing or ignorance is actually a genetic disorder associated with these landlocked fellows?

You all can rant like your parents ranted against everyone else and paid the ultimate price, I just hope history won't repeat itself for the sake of the sane ones amongst you - The joke is still on you guys anyday and anytime, continue the whole country already knew your modus operandi and you can't be trusted so sad I guess grin

3 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Nobody: 2:36pm On Sep 02, 2014
Truckpusher: The Igbos are pathological liars, bereft of simple logic,diplomacy and always blinded by empty boasts and chest beating like chimpanzees.

Funny enough they claim to be better than every other tribe in Nigeria yet they are being dropped on the backbench of Nigeria's politics then you ask yourself are these guys just too dumb to understand and learn a thing or ignorance is actually a genetic disorder associated with these landlocked fellows?

You all can rant like your parents ranted against everyone else and paid the ultimate price, I just hope history won't repeat itself for the sake of the sane ones amongst you - The joke is still on you guys anyday and anytime, continue the whole country already knew your modus operandi and you can't be trusted so sad I guess grin

I'm sorry? Igbos are what? undecided
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Truckpusher(m): 2:44pm On Sep 02, 2014
Tashamania:

I'm sorry? Igbos are what? undecided
Back-off sweetheart, This isn't about you or the good people of Igboland but a food for thought for some wackos that keeps ranting everyday about a people that do not give a fucck about them.

You can go through the thread again and see for yourself how your brethren abuse everyone else all day without any provocation.

kiss wink
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 02, 2014
Truckpusher: Back-off sweetheart, This isn't about you or the good people of Igboland but a food for thought for some wackos that keeps ranting everyday about a people that do not give a fucck about them.

You can go through the thread again and see for yourself how your brethren abuse everyone else all day without any provocation.

kiss wink
I aint going through no thread cos I'm so pissed right now! angry
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Truckpusher(m): 4:47pm On Sep 02, 2014
Tashamania:
I aint going through no thread cos I'm so pissed right now! angry
Then piss on yourself for all I care angry
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by internetpirate: 4:54pm On Sep 02, 2014
Ikwerreboy:

Have stayed in abia state as a student for 3yrs now.
When i first came into abia state i found it vry difficult to understand igbo. things i could understand were:
1. Bia (come)
2. Ego (money)
3. Ofe ( soup) e.t.c
But when dey use any of those words to make a sentence i dnt understand. i only understand d single word its self. e.g bia. which i knw is come.

This your argument is inherently very silly...I am sorry to say this. A quick look at fringe Igbo communities will show how silly that is. I am from the fringes...from Ohafia, and Ikwerre is much more like Igbo to me (a quick example is the fact that money in Ohafia is "okpogo" not "ego"wink. In my culture, cuisine, and dialect I find many differences from the mainstream Igbo...yet I know that I am Igbo!!! If an Ohafia man can claim to be Igbo, then how much more an Ikwerre man, whose culture, cuisine and dialect are definitely more Igbo? Another example of a fringe Igbo dialect is the Nsukka dialect...Is the Nsukka person no longer Igbo by virtue of that? Please lets stop revising history and sacrificing truth on the altar of politics, myopia and crass ignorance!!!!

And yes, I grew up in the North, and now live in Port Harcourt...My discovery? Ikwerres are perhaps the dregs of the Igbo conundrum: loud, vulgar, greedy and yet lack the industry of the average Igboman!!! May God help the Igbo race!!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Nobody: 4:59pm On Sep 02, 2014
Truckpusher: Then piss on yourself for all I care angry
Nonsense! Don't you ever quote me again. I'm serious.
I hate tribalists angry

1 Like

Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Truckpusher(m): 5:02pm On Sep 02, 2014
Tashamania:
Nonsense! Don't you ever quote me again. I'm serious.
I hate tribalists angry
I'm not a tribal bigot like your folks that are suffering from diarrhea of the mouth.They are the bigots here.

I'll plead that you put a leash on their slave neck.
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Nobody: 5:07pm On Sep 02, 2014
Truckpusher: I'm not a tribal bigot like your folks that are suffering from diarrhea of the mouth.They are the bigots here.

I'll plead that you put a leash on their slave neck.

Oh pls, whatever you think they are is absolutely fine by me. The problem here is you. You should really watch what you say on here though especially when its about the Igbos. I won't repeat myself.

Where's that small no-man's land you from again?
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Truckpusher(m): 5:09pm On Sep 02, 2014
Tashamania:

Oh pls, whatever you think they are is absolutely fine by me. The problem here is you. You should really watch what you say on here though especially when its about the Igbos. I won't repeat myself.

Where's that small no-man's land you from again?
Another loudmouthed Igbotic girl trying to front.

Oya ! commot for my face make I see front grin
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 02, 2014
Truckpusher: Another loudmouthed Igbotic girl trying to front.

You simply jealous cos you aint Igbo. I'm sorry but been igbo takes more than just been a truckpusher smiley

4 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:15pm On Sep 02, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
For your information,Imo state igbos don't even understand Abia dialects deviod of central igbo words. I am igbo but i don't understand many Igbo dialects unless you become exposed to them for a long time. Ikwerre is an igbo dialect whether you like it or not. This is not even a worthy topic,go and take several seats!! Your ancestors were probably from bini,right now you are all Igbos with no inheritance in Benin. According to Benin history,they had slaves from the igbo hinterlands. These igbos were elevated to various positions ,they were actually banned when they decided to engage the binis in a revolution/civil war. You should read up on Umu Eze Chima and stop wallowing in self inflicted identity crisis!
For your information, Oguta has origins in Anioma, Ohafia with Bini, Arochukwu with Efik/Ibibio, Edda-Ebonyi with Calabars, Nsukka with Idomas, Onitsha with Igalas and Bini. Asaba with Bini. Owerri is the only neutral area even though i believe they intermingled with Ijaws esp the dance system. Haven't heard that Igbo is a NATION! Pls read up on cultural fusion and acculturation, igbos in Bini, ethnic composition of igbos, numerous unintelligible igbo dialects and stop yarning nonesense on public forums.

Guy,Asaba has no origin in Benin. The founders of Asaba migrated from Nteje in Anambra.
And I dont know what you mean by only Owerri is neutral?
You sound very ignorant and dense....Please,say what you know....nonsensical fool!
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Truckpusher(m): 5:22pm On Sep 02, 2014
Tashamania:

You simply jealous cos you aint Igbo. I'm sorry but been igbo takes more than just been a truckpusher smiley
Lmao @ being jealous cos I ain't Igbo. grin grin

Simply hilarious !!! Who gets jealous over some ish abt some scum of a nation ? undecided

Baby girl, You've got no idea where I come from. That land is a blessed land with everything that guarantees survival even after the oil , so fly - I ain't talking to you unless you're on a suicide mission.
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Nobody: 5:24pm On Sep 02, 2014
Truckpusher: Lmao @ being jealous cos I ain't Igbo. grin grin

Simply hilarious !!! Who gets jealous over some ish abt some scum of a nation ? undecided

Baby girl, You've got no idea where I come from. That land is a blessed land with everything that guarantees survival even after the oil , so fly - I ain't talking to you unless you're on a suicide mission.

shocked sad cry
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:25pm On Sep 02, 2014
Truckpusher: The Igbos are pathological liars, bereft of simple logic,diplomacy and always blinded by empty boasts and chest beating like chimpanzees.

Guy,stop getting too emotional and crying more than the bereaved. Arent you from Ogba ?
So,why are you suddenly the defender of the Ikwerre ?
Mind you I dont care what Ikwerre people chose to call themselves but why they are at it they must remember they speak Igbo and practice Igbo culture. And with this I have absolutely nothing else to say. If you so much hate Igbo why are you borrowing their inventions and living and imitating them to the point where people cant even differentiate whether you are Igbo or not. Onye ka mmadu ka chie!

3 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Truckpusher(m): 5:33pm On Sep 02, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Guy,stop getting too emotional and crying more than the bereaved. Arent you from Ogba ?
So,why are you suddenly the defender of the Ikwerre ?
Mind you I dont care what Ikwerre people chose to call themselves but why they are at it they must remember they speak Igbo and practice Igbo culture. And with this I have absolutely nothing else to say. If you so much hate Igbo why are you borrowing their inventions and living and imitating them to the point where people cant even differentiate whether you are Igbo or not. Onye ka mmadu ka chie!
First and foremost I do not hate the Igbos - we all share a lot in common but when some iidiots come here to spread falsehood and insult people indiscriminately then I have an obligation to set the record straight.

It is expected that we all in this generation should learn from the mistake of the past by our fathers and your fathers so as not to remain in this quagmire we find ourselves today but it seems that most of you with some supremacist tendencies do not understand the rules of engagement.

You must agree with me that you have too many Igbo bigots here abusing the minority tribes of Rivers State without any provocation , so my dear clean up your house respect us and we'll respect you.

That said, I'm a strong believer of a united people(Biafra) based on one ideology and culture but I won't sign in for any form of domination,insults and supremacist tendency.

Respect is reciprocal so they said.
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:33pm On Sep 02, 2014
Truckpusher: Another loudmouthed Igbotic girl trying to front.

Look at this pathetic and disgusting fool of a pervert!
Just now you wanted to flirt with her and she ran you dreg a:ss to the curb and you wanna start forming. Nigga,you are patbetic and miserable....lol
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Truckpusher(m): 5:33pm On Sep 02, 2014
Tashamania:

shocked sad cry
Cry me a river tongue
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Truckpusher(m): 5:34pm On Sep 02, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Just now you wanted to flirt with her and she ran you dreg a:ss to the curb and you wanna start forming. Nigga,you are patbetic and miserable....lol
We flirt and fight all the time......No go there... grin

You go wound. tongue
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Nobody: 5:34pm On Sep 02, 2014
Truckpusher: Cry me a river tongue

That thing mama said was true, you sabi quarrel person. cry
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Nobody: 5:36pm On Sep 02, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Nna'm please calm down, I know the truckpusher's remedy cheesy
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by internetpirate: 5:39pm On Sep 02, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
For your information, Oguta has origins in Anioma, Ohafia with Bini, Arochukwu with Efik/Ibibio, Edda-Ebonyi with Calabars, Nsukka with Idomas, Onitsha with Igalas and Bini. Asaba with Bini. Owerri is the only neutral area even though i believe they intermingled with Ijaws esp the dance +=
ystem. Haven't heard that Igbo is a NATION! Pls read up on cultural fusion and acculturation, igbos in Bini, ethnic composition of igbos, numerous unintelligible igbo dialects and stop yarning nonesense on public forums.
[
Thanks for enlightening this fellow!! Even their slogan "Ikwerre wu otu" is pure Igbo!! Have you ever heard an Ondo man denying his Yoruba identity despite dialectical differences? Inferiority complex clobbered by tunnel vision!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:44pm On Sep 02, 2014
Truckpusher: First and foremost I do not hate the Igbos - we all share a lot in common but when some iidiots come here to spread falsehood and insult people indiscriminately then I have an obligation to set the record straight.

It is expected that we all in this generation should learn from the mistake of the past by our fathers and your fathers so as not to remain in this quagmire we find ourselves today but it seems that most of you with some supremacist tendencies do not understand the rules of engagement.

You must agree with me that you have too many Igbo bigots here abusing the minority tribes of Rivers State without any provocation , so my dear clean up your house respect us and we'll respect you.

That said, I'm a strong believer of a united people(Biafra) based on one ideology and culture but I won't sign in for any form of domination,insults and supremacist tendency.

Respect is reciprocal so they said.

Abeg,dont try to loosen up and stop your Igbo bashing because your many sins are well documented. Nobi today you begin dey bash Igbo people,unprovoked.
Its for those who have the time but its silly for you to speak someone's language and practice their culture yet turn around to insult them. The mockery should be on you not me. If you decide you want peace ,peace you will get because Igbo are never known for violence and thats why we succeed everywhere we go. We dont go to people's land and steal their land ,rather we work our bones off,save money and buy lands and people will still hate. You people hate us because you thought we do be finished after the civil war but our comeback drove a sharp knife through your heart. We dont care what you think about us but you cant do none to us.

4 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:46pm On Sep 02, 2014
Tashamania:

Nna'm please calm down, I know the truckpusher's remedy cheesy

Nne,no wahala but I am always on the watch out for niggas who wanna insult my sisters.
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Nobody: 5:51pm On Sep 02, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Nne,no wahala but I am always on the watch out for niggas who wanna insult my sisters.

That's cute. I know trouble when I see one, trust me, truckpusher here isn't much of a trouble to me, just little grin
Its all good, thanks. The fact that they speak some part of the igbolanguage and practice part of our culture puts me to good sleep anyday anytime. They are just bunch of confused fellas, I'd say cheesy

Truckpusher, take tongue
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Truckpusher(m): 6:11pm On Sep 02, 2014
Tashamania:

That's cute. I know trouble when I see one, trust me, truckpusher here isn't much of a trouble to me, just little grin
Its all good, thanks. The fact that they speak some part of the igbolanguage and practice part of our culture puts me to good sleep anyday anytime. They are just bunch of confused fellas, I'd say cheesy

Truckpusher, take tongue
Woman go home ,you're drunk grin
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Nobody: 6:14pm On Sep 02, 2014
Truckpusher: Woman go home ,you're drunk grin

Is that all you have to say, shrimp? grin
Re: A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) by Ihuomadinihu: 10:51pm On Sep 02, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Guy,Asaba has no origin in Benin. The founders of Asaba migrated from Nteje in Anambra.
And I dont know what you mean by only Owerri is neutral?
You sound very ignorant and dense....Please,say what you know....nonsensical fool!
Odenigbo Aroli, you are actually a Confused IDIOT. What warranted the name calling? Asaba citizens are aware and proud of their ancestral links with Benin though the remain igbos. Why not read about the relationship between Western Igbos and Benin The is a reason why Imo state is called the Igbo heartland. Igbo is a nation,mixed up with different people,with different ancestral origin bound by same culture and language. Is that difficult to understand? Uncommon Fool!!
Never quote me again! Go and display your immaturity else where.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi's Kano Emirate Admits Spending N3.4 Billion / Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives / 85-Year-Old Emir Farouk Welcomes A Daughter With Young Wife (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.