Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

"What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" (1982 Views)

What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? / What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? / What Do Christians Believe About Dinosaurs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:40pm On Aug 29, 2014
Question: "What does the Bible say about dinosaurs? Are there dinosaurs in the Bible?"

Answer: The topic of dinosaurs in the Bible is part of a larger ongoing debate within the Christian community over the age of the earth, the proper interpretation of Genesis, and how to interpret the physical evidences we find all around us. Those who believe in an older age for the earth tend to agree that the Bible does not mention dinosaurs, because, according to their paradigm, dinosaurs died out millions of years before the first man ever walked the earth. The men who wrote the Bible could not have seen living dinosaurs.

Those who believe in a younger age for the earth tend to agree that the Bible does mention dinosaurs, though it never actually uses the word “dinosaur.” Instead, it uses the Hebrew word tanniyn, which is translated a few different ways in our English Bibles. Sometimes it’s “sea monster,” and sometimes it’s “serpent.” It is most commonly translated “dragon.” The tanniyn appear to have been some sort of giant reptile. These creatures are mentioned nearly thirty times in the Old Testament and were found both on land and in the water.

In addition to mentioning these giant reptiles, the Bible describes a couple of creatures in such a way that some scholars believe the writers may have been describing dinosaurs. The behemoth is said to be the mightiest of all God’s creatures, a giant whose tail is likened to a cedar tree (Job 40:15). Some scholars have tried to identify the behemoth as either an elephant or a hippopotamus. Others point out that elephants and hippopotamuses have very thin tails, nothing comparable to a cedar tree. Dinosaurs like the brachiosaurus and the diplodocus, on the other hand, had huge tails which could easily be compared to a cedar tree.

Nearly every ancient civilization has some sort of art depicting giant reptilian creatures. Petroglyphs, artifacts, and even little clay figurines found in North America resemble modern depictions of dinosaurs. Rock carvings in South America depict men riding diplodocus-like creatures and, amazingly, bear the familiar images of triceratops-like, pterodactyl-like, and tyrannosaurus rex-like creatures. Roman mosaics, Mayan pottery, and Babylonian city walls all testify to man’s trans-cultural, geographically unbounded fascination with these creatures. Sober accounts like those of Marco Polo’s Il Milione mingle with fantastic tales of treasure-hoarding beasts. In addition to the substantial amount of anthropic and historical evidences for the coexistence of dinosaurs and man, there are physical evidences, like the fossilized footprints of humans and dinosaurs found together at places in North America and West-Central Asia.

So, are there dinosaurs in the Bible? The matter is far from settled. It depends on how you interpret the available evidences and how you view the world around you. If the Bible is interpreted literally, a young earth interpretation will result, and the idea that dinosaurs and man coexisted can be accepted. If dinosaurs and human beings coexisted, what happened to the dinosaurs? While the Bible does not discuss the issue, dinosaurs likely died out sometime after the flood due to a combination of dramatic environmental shifts and the fact that they were relentlessly hunted to extinction by man.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/dinosaurs-Bible.html#ixzz3Bo9HBWox

2 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by Blakjewelry(m): 8:14pm On Aug 29, 2014
The last sentence hunted to extinction got me laughing. Without the extinction of the dinos, no modern species would exist.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by Liveair: 8:50pm On Aug 29, 2014
My friend, Dinosaurs got extinct 100s of Millions of years ago according to reliable dating.
They are much older than your Religion and its creation tale.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by uzoexcel(m): 11:56am On Aug 30, 2014

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by LordRazor1(m): 1:43pm On Aug 30, 2014
OLAADEGBU: Question: "What does the Bible say about dinosaurs? Are there dinosaurs in the Bible?"

Answer: The topic of dinosaurs in the Bible is part of a larger ongoing debate within the Christian community over the age of the earth, the proper interpretation of Genesis, and how to interpret the physical evidences we find all around us. Those who believe in an older age for the earth tend to agree that the Bible does not mention dinosaurs, because, according to their paradigm, dinosaurs died out millions of years before the first man ever walked the earth. The men who wrote the Bible could not have seen living dinosaurs.

Those who believe in a younger age for the earth tend to agree that the Bible does mention dinosaurs, though it never actually uses the word “dinosaur.” Instead, it uses the Hebrew word tanniyn, which is translated a few different ways in our English Bibles. Sometimes it’s “sea monster,” and sometimes it’s “serpent.” It is most commonly translated “dragon.” The tanniyn appear to have been some sort of giant reptile. These creatures are mentioned nearly thirty times in the Old Testament and were found both on land and in the water.

In addition to mentioning these giant reptiles, the Bible describes a couple of creatures in such a way that some scholars believe the writers may have been describing dinosaurs. The behemoth is said to be the mightiest of all God’s creatures, a giant whose tail is likened to a cedar tree (Job 40:15). Some scholars have tried to identify the behemoth as either an elephant or a hippopotamus. Others point out that elephants and hippopotamuses have very thin tails, nothing comparable to a cedar tree. Dinosaurs like the brachiosaurus and the diplodocus, on the other hand, had huge tails which could easily be compared to a cedar tree.

Nearly every ancient civilization has some sort of art depicting giant reptilian creatures. Petroglyphs, artifacts, and even little clay figurines found in North America resemble modern depictions of dinosaurs. Rock carvings in South America depict men riding diplodocus-like creatures and, amazingly, bear the familiar images of triceratops-like, pterodactyl-like, and tyrannosaurus rex-like creatures. Roman mosaics, Mayan pottery, and Babylonian city walls all testify to man’s trans-cultural, geographically unbounded fascination with these creatures. Sober accounts like those of Marco Polo’s Il Milione mingle with fantastic tales of treasure-hoarding beasts. In addition to the substantial amount of anthropic and historical evidences for the coexistence of dinosaurs and man, there are physical evidences, like the fossilized footprints of humans and dinosaurs found together at places in North America and West-Central Asia.

So, are there dinosaurs in the Bible? The matter is far from settled. It depends on how you interpret the available evidences and how you view the world around you. If the Bible is interpreted literally, a young earth interpretation will result, and the idea that dinosaurs and man coexisted can be accepted. If dinosaurs and human beings coexisted, what happened to the dinosaurs? While the Bible does not discuss the issue, dinosaurs likely died out sometime after the flood due to a combination of dramatic environmental shifts and the fact that they were relentlessly hunted to extinction by man.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/dinosaurs-Bible.html#ixzz3Bo9HBWox
Good job bro. Thanks for the enlightenment.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:07pm On Aug 30, 2014
LordRazor1:

Good job bro. Thanks for the enlightenment.

You are welcome, anytime. smiley
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by RockMaxi: 5:37pm On Aug 30, 2014
@OP, a little digression from the topic and I think it will help our judgement. What happened to the giants that came as a result of sons of God and daughters of Men? I read somewhere that those giants were tall as 300 cubits long and I tried converting it to meters it was 133meters approximately. Do we even have any giant again in Biblical records close to those ones after the flood.
As much as I want to believe that not all animals in the pre and post flood existed today, the carbon dating actually compounded the accuracy of the timing of their existence.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by Nobody: 5:51pm On Aug 30, 2014
d story in generis is no different from d story of oduduwa. crap
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:50pm On Aug 30, 2014
RockMaxi:

@OP, a little digression from the topic and I think it will help our judgement. What happened to the giants that came as a result of sons of God and daughters of Men? I read somewhere that those giants were tall as 300 cubits long and I tried converting it to meters it was 133meters approximately. Do we even have any giant again in Biblical records close to those ones after the flood.
As much as I want to believe that not all animals in the pre and post flood existed today, the carbon dating actually compounded the accuracy of the timing of their existence.

Where did you read that they were as tall as 133 metres? shocked
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by RockMaxi: 7:05pm On Aug 31, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Where did you read that they were as tall as 133 metres? shocked

Likewise stunned when I read it, but it was a research work.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:51pm On Aug 31, 2014
RockMaxi:

Likewise stunned when I read it, but it was a research work.

I hope you are not referring to the other religion that claims Adam was about 90 feet tall? undecided
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by RockMaxi: 7:27pm On Sep 01, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

I hope you are not referring to the other religion that claims Adam was about 90 feet tall? undecided

grin grin grin No.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:13am On Sep 10, 2014
RockMaxi:

grin grin grin No.

Here's an article that I feel answers your question. Feel free to click on it.

https://answersingenesis.org/bible-characters/giants-in-the-old-testament/
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:50pm On Sep 30, 2014
What does the Bible say about Dinosaurs? Is it's information similar to other cultures' report? Does the Bible mention Dinosaurs?

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by MightySparrow: 3:19pm On Sep 30, 2014
The other day I was reading a book on Astronomy by one Professor Evans Davies. In it he said, Beyond our Solar system, what we have is 'educated guesses''.

All the documentary I have watched on dinosaurs are constructions of what scientists think, dinosaurs could be.
I ask this question: if bones of animals and trees decay over time to become fossil fuels and none of these creatures are preserved in thy icy part of the world, we may just be chasing the wind.
The biggest of CERN has not been able to discover the tiniest particle there is. The tiniest ever found will always exhibit a characteristic that will lead to further question.

The most reasonable account of creation and the end of it as it is being unfolded by human history still remains the Bible. It is the only record than traces man and woman to then first persons, tells us the origin of continents, and the dispersion of human race from a common origin. It also tells us of the invisible world of spirits and their interaction with us.
I doubt the existence of dinosaurs as well as the existence of any big bang.

To me , the Bible account is most reasonable. and , in scientific dating, there is no way dinosaurs could have existed in the time of job, the grandson of Jacob.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:20pm On Sep 30, 2014
MightySparrow:

The other day I was reading a book on Astronomy by one Professor Evans Davies. In it he said, Beyond our Solar system, what we have is 'educated guesses''.

The keyword there is "educated." smiley

MightySparrow:

All the documentary I have watched on dinosaurs are constructions of what scientists think, dinosaurs could be.
I ask this question: if bones of animals and trees decay over time to become fossil fuels and none of these creatures are preserved in thy icy part of the world, we may just be chasing the wind.
The biggest of CERN has not been able to discover the tiniest particle there is. The tiniest ever found will always exhibit a characteristic that will lead to further question.

Bones of dinosaurs that became fossils didn't necessarily decay it just became fossilised. Some soft tissue has been found in some of the fossilised dinosaurs which proves that they have only been fossilised for thousands of years not millions as the evolutionists will have you believe.

MightySparrow:

The most reasonable account of creation and the end of it as it is being unfolded by human history still remains the Bible. It is the only record than traces man and woman to then first persons, tells us the origin of continents, and the dispersion of human race from a common origin. It also tells us of the invisible world of spirits and their interaction with us.
I doubt the existence of dinosaurs as well as the existence of any big bang.

The Bible talks about Dinosaurs. It's just that they were only named Dinosaurs recently. Job called it Behemoth.

MightySparrow:

To me , the Bible account is most reasonable. and , in scientific dating, there is no way dinosaurs could have existed in the time of job, the grandson of Jacob.

The Behemoth mentioned in Job (Job 40:15) fit's the description of Dinosaurs such as the brachiosaurus and the diplodocus, and it's huge tail could easily be compared to a cedar tree. True science confirms the Bible.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by MightySparrow: 9:33am On Oct 02, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

The keyword there is "educated." smiley

Bones of dinosaurs that became fossils didn't necessarily decay it just became fossilised. Some soft tissue has been found in some of the fossilised dinosaurs which proves that they have only been fossilised for thousands of years not millions as the evolutionists will have you believe.

The Bible talks about Dinosaurs. It's just that they were only named Dinosaurs recently. Job called it Behemoth.

The Behemoth mentioned in Job (Job 40:15) fit's the description of Dinosaurs such as the brachiosaurus and the diplodocus, and it's huge tail could easily be compared to a cedar tree. True science confirms the Bible.

With the millions of years spoken of by scientists it is not likely that home sapiens lived with those dinosaurs. This issue of archeological excavations and "skillful" dressings are what piss me off. It is good to imagine but there are limits where imaginations become unreasonable.

For instance, think of the word infinity in mathematical science: as good as the word is to satisfy scientists wits limit, it is only reasonable in theories but not in practice. My humble self trained as an engineer, ask any engineer about his idea of infinity, if he could design a road with infinity dimensions. Or put a machine that travels through space to the infinite ends of the universe.
This alarming figures and carbon dating that cannot detect footballers ages less than or about twenty years but millions of unimaginable years is wearisome.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:16am On Oct 04, 2014
MightySparrow:

With the millions of years spoken of by scientists it is not likely that home sapiens lived with those dinosaurs. This issue of archeological excavations and "skillful" dressings are what piss me off. It is good to imagine but there are limits where imaginations become unreasonable.

For instance, think of the word infinity in mathematical science: as good as the word is to satisfy scientists wits limit, it is only reasonable in theories but not in practice. My humble self trained as an engineer, ask any engineer about his idea of infinity, if he could design a road with infinity dimensions. Or put a machine that travels through space to the infinite ends of the universe.
This alarming figures and carbon dating that cannot detect footballers ages less than or about twenty years but millions of unimaginable years is wearisome.

Here is a short videoclip that simplifies the issue of the carbon dating process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwza37LRCOE
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About Dinosaurs? Are There Dinosaurs In The Bible?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:56pm On Oct 18, 2014
Short animation about the fossils and the Flood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5ChYKLpkAk

(1) (Reply)

I Now Believe God Is Real. My Evidence. / 10 Questions For Christians Who Support Gay Marriage / Jesus Not Coming Again - Catholic Church Spokesman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.