Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,665 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Prayer For Injured Teen Sparks Outrage From Atheist Group - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Prayer For Injured Teen Sparks Outrage From Atheist Group (727 Views)

Kenya Refuses To Register Atheist Group / Mother Thanks Atheist Group For A Good Xmas After Church Gives Her Bad Treatment / Bucket Of Urine Poured On Her By Christians Because She Started An Atheist Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prayer For Injured Teen Sparks Outrage From Atheist Group by anonymous6(f): 12:03am On Aug 30, 2014
[b]It truly takes a special kind of evil to threaten Americans because they prayed over an injured child.

The injured player was on the ground being tended to by trainers and coaches.

So the Seminole High School football team did what many football teams do. The teenage boys took a knee, bowed their heads and prayed for their injured teammate.

But that simple act of compassion and humanity in Sanford, Florida sparked outrage from the Freedom From Religion Foundation – a group of perpetually offended atheists from Wisconsin.
An FFRF attorney fired off a letter to the superintendent of Seminole County Public Schools – accusing them of having an adult lead the prayer for the injured child.

A school district spokesman told me the injured child, who is the son of the team’s head coach, has since rejoined the team.

“It is our information and understanding that Seminole High School (is) allowing an adult, a local pastor, to act as a ‘volunteer chaplain’ for the football team,” FFRF attorney Andrew Seidel wrote.

The attorney said the school cannot “allow a non-school adult access to the children in its charge, and certainly cannot grant that access to a pastor seeking to organize prayer for the students.”

The FFRF told the school district to “refrain from having a ‘volunteer team chaplain’ at Seminole High School.

The school district said the prayer was instigated by students and denied that a chaplain prayed with the team. School spokesman Mike Blasewitz told MyNews13.com that the school doesn’t even have a team chaplain, contrary to the FFRF’s allegations.

“There is nothing to cease and desist because our behavior was within the guidelines in the first place,” he told television station WFTV. “No adults in the photo, no adults participating, no adults leading it.”

Seidel told me in a written statement that he’s satisfied with the school’s response – and they now consider the matter closed.

“FFRF is very pleased with central Florida's new-found commitment to upholding the First Amendment and protecting the rights of conscience of all students, not just Christians,” he said.
Parents, meanwhile, are a bit perturbed with the atheist bullying.

“There are a lot more important issues going on in the world than worrying about kids praying at a game,” parent Andre Collins told ClickOrlando.com. “We live in a country where we’re free to do what we want to do.”

Barbara Frase has a grandson on the football team. She could not believe the atheists would call out the kids for praying.

“Come on, let’s get real,” she told ClickOrlando.com.

Seminole County is not the first school district targeted by these rabid atheists – and they won’t be the last. Earlier this week, I exposed the Christian cleansing underway in Orange County, Florida public schools.

But it truly takes a special kind of evil to threaten Americans because they prayed over an injured child.

Heaven help us all.[/b]
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/08/28/prayer-for-injured-teen-sparks-atheist-outrage/
Re: Prayer For Injured Teen Sparks Outrage From Atheist Group by delishpot: 1:02am On Aug 30, 2014
Their yeye dey smell nor be small. dem no go fight ISIS wey dey behead with religion? make dem go sidon for $hit biko.
Re: Prayer For Injured Teen Sparks Outrage From Atheist Group by Nobody: 1:33am On Aug 30, 2014
Endtime things
Re: Prayer For Injured Teen Sparks Outrage From Atheist Group by Omexonomy: 4:29am On Aug 30, 2014
The atheist underdogs will soon come and attack the thread. What is realy wrong with these hater of God? They should have done that against islam and see if america will be be too large to hid them.
Re: Prayer For Injured Teen Sparks Outrage From Atheist Group by TheBigUrban2: 6:05am On Aug 30, 2014
Typical ignorant christian.

You copied the one source that distorts the whole story- FOX NEWS.
Re: Prayer For Injured Teen Sparks Outrage From Atheist Group by Nobody: 6:12am On Aug 30, 2014
I don't understand the news.
Did they take the child to the hospital?
If they didn't, but "prayed" for the child to be healed, then I'm with them.

If they prayed in the hospital, I see nothing wrong with what they're doing as long as they do not endanger the child by keeping him from medical treatment.

OP, can you get me another source apart from Faux News?
Re: Prayer For Injured Teen Sparks Outrage From Atheist Group by TheBigUrban2: 6:20am On Aug 30, 2014
Apatheist: I don't understand the news.
Did they take the child to the hospital?
If they didn't, but "prayed" for the child to be healed, then I'm with them.

If they prayed in the hospital, I see nothing wrong with what they're doing as long as they do not endanger the child by keeping him from medical treatment.

OP, can you get me another source apart from Faux News?

http://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/faith-and-morals/item/19020-school-district-caves-in-to-atheists-bans-sports-team-chaplains

It is not about the injured teen. The schools in that district are known for having staff/chaplains have prayers with their sports teams- which is against the law.

They are just using the injured child to draw sympathy.

1 Like

Re: Prayer For Injured Teen Sparks Outrage From Atheist Group by Nobody: 6:24am On Aug 30, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

http://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/faith-and-morals/item/19020-school-district-caves-in-to-atheists-bans-sports-team-chaplains

It is not about the injured teen. The schools in that district are known for having staff/chaplains have prayers with their sports teams- which is against the law.

They are just using the injured child to draw sympathy.
It's a public school, right?
Re: Prayer For Injured Teen Sparks Outrage From Atheist Group by TheBigUrban2: 6:33am On Aug 30, 2014
Apatheist:
It's a public school, right?

of course. Public schools arent allowed to enforce prayers. The students can pray but the staff or external adults cant enforce the prayers with the students

1 Like

Re: Prayer For Injured Teen Sparks Outrage From Atheist Group by finofaya: 9:15am On Aug 30, 2014
But your bias is alarming sha.

Your topic says atheists were offended about prayer over an injured child

Now look at the letter the atheists are alleged to have written:

"An FFRF attorney fired off a letter to the superintendent of Seminole County Public Schools – accusing them of having an adult lead the prayer for the injured child.

A school district spokesman told me the injured child, who is the son of the team’s head coach, has since rejoined the team.

“It is our information and understanding that Seminole High School (is) allowing an adult, a local pastor, to act as a ‘volunteer chaplain’ for the football team,” FFRF attorney Andrew Seidel wrote.

The attorney said the school cannot “allow a non-school adult access to the children in its charge, and certainly cannot grant that access to a pastor seeking to organize prayer for the students.”

The FFRF told the school district to “refrain from having a ‘volunteer team chaplain’ at Seminole High School."

There is no mention of any injured child in it. Did this escape your attention? I don't think it did. I think you just hate atheists.

Atheists are not the ones who made prayer ineffective. No vex with them. If they don't want to hear you praying, you can just pray to God in your mind anyway. Its not like he needs to hear your voice before he answers.

2 Likes

Re: Prayer For Injured Teen Sparks Outrage From Atheist Group by onetrack(m): 9:22am On Aug 30, 2014
Very few atheists would have a problem with someone praying for someone else--that is none of our business. However, in the US a public school should not have a team chaplain, which implies that one particular religion is endorsed (in this case Christianity), which government organizations may not do.

1 Like

Re: Prayer For Injured Teen Sparks Outrage From Atheist Group by anonymous6(f): 12:01pm On Aug 30, 2014
TheBigUrban2: Typical ignorant christian.
You copied the one source that distorts the whole story- FOX NEWS.

Ignorant, I could careless about the atheist vs. Christian back and forth but the article has been in some blogs that formed debates and issues that was interesting

Well you are right Fox News distorts facts but with this article I posted it as a newsfeed to generate attention on issues that arise from it. Which is what happened, mission accomplished
Re: Prayer For Injured Teen Sparks Outrage From Atheist Group by TheBigUrban2: 12:04pm On Aug 30, 2014
anonymous6:

Ignorant, I could careless about the atheist vs. Christian back and forth but the article has been in some blogs that formed debates and issues that was interesting

Well you are right Fox News distorts facts but with this article I posted it as a newsfeed to generate attention on issues that arise from it. Which is what happened, mission accomplished

grin grin

(1) (Reply)

The Inside Story: Prayer Predators / If U're Too Big For This Prayer Then Ignore It / Share You Biggest 2014 Testimony...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.