Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,255 members, 7,807,880 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:23 PM

Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees (2695 Views)

Kwara Poly Students Protest Increase In Fees, Destroy Properties (pics) / UNILORIN SUG President Wins 2nd Best SUG President In Nigeria: See Full List / How Will Ambrose Alli University Clearance Be Done And When Is The Acceptance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by oluwadanie1(m): 8:05am On Aug 30, 2014
Following the controversy that trails the incessant increase of the acceptance fee payable by the newly admitted student of the University of ilorin. The student Union boss Comrade Ishowo Yakub has spoken barely 24 hours after the provisional admission list as well as the acceptance fees was made available to the public on the university’s website.

Find his Update below:

Press Release from the office of the president,Student’s Union University Of Ilorin.

"Of the greatest Nigeria Students!!!

It was a shock when I checked the school site yesterday to see that the Acceptance fees for the newly admitted students is 20k, the first thing that came to my mind was,” is there anything the union can do? The reason for this question is, as provided in the constitution of Students’ Union, members of the union are all matriculated students of the university and the students concerned are non matriculated students.

However, we taught of taking a step further, by making enquiries from other universities on what they charge for acceptance it was discovered that,OAU is 25k,Funaab is 45k, Unilag is 25k ,UI is 20k to FUTMINA is 35k, to mention but view. Still we met with appropriate bodies of the university to know why the amount was decided,fortunately enough, we were made to know that the allocation coming to the universities has been drastically reduced by the Government which is a fact, and the university can not be smoothly develop except with the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR).

On this note, I want us to know that, the union will never be silent when justice is been denied. Because “INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE” and also the union will be so unfair to take any unjust actions,when we have every facts to act reasonably."
Full details @ http://acadablog.com/unilorin-sug-president-press-release-about-the-increase-in-universitys-acceptance-fee/
Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by kayboy4y(m): 10:45am On Aug 30, 2014
Unical is paying 5k at PG level, Bayero University receive 3k from UG and 5k from PG students...
Same knowledge.
Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by SupaJoe(m): 11:01am On Aug 30, 2014
kayboy4y: Unical is paying 5k at PG level, Bayero University receive 3k from UG and 5k from PG students...
Same knowledge.

But to be frank where are those varsities in ranking. To be a great school you need money. As it was said above "the money they receive from the govt has drastically reduced". To be honest, I really don't blame the school rather I blame the federal government.
Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by Nobody: 12:24pm On Aug 30, 2014
As a matter of fact unilorin is stylishlly increasing theirs fees.I could remember in 2010 we did not pay any acceptance fee but paid about 35000 as sch fees(including other charges),2011 5000 was introduced as acceptance fee,2013 fees ranges from 70000 cos student were given tablet. Now 20000 as acceptance fee plus dat high charges and it is a federal university.before u no it a poor man child will not be able to attend unilorin cos of high charges. As per the SU , they ar just figure head.

2 Likes

Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by jaryeh(m): 12:55pm On Aug 30, 2014
Is this from the SU president? Poorly written!
Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by michaeltotti(m): 3:33pm On Aug 30, 2014
jaryeh: Is this from the SU president? Poorly written!
is dia su president a year one student?see write up?Ωнere he get info say oau pay 25k...ℓ̊ paid 20k oooogrin

1 Like

Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by Nobody: 5:15am On Aug 31, 2014
When I saw the press report that was released by Comrade Yakub Ishowo on behalf of the Student Union Government (SUG) of the University of Ilorin, I could not but think that the academic and political status of our dear nation is in shambles. The press release which i am talking about is none but the one of Thursday, 29th August,which was released in respect to the increase of the Acceptance fees charged by the University from a sum of 10,000naira to a whopping sum of 20,000. In his statement, Comrade Ishowo said "However, we taught of taking a step further, by
making enquiries from other universities on what they charge for acceptance. it was discovered that,OAU is 25k,Funaab is 45k,Unilag is 25k ,UI is 20k to FUTMINA is 35k, to mention but few"
Seeing the report, a lot of questions ran through my mind about the SUG. Is this really unionism? Do these people take us for fools? Are these really the people we voted in?
I know that the situation is not the fault of the SUG, it is all about the school increasing the acceptance fees due to reasons best known to the school management but the wrong of the SUG Is in comparing the acceptance fees charged by Better By Far with that of other Universities in the nation.
It would have been better if the SUG did not react to the matter than reacting to it and all they could come up with was that they accepted the situation just because FUTA charges a hundred thousand or UI charges a million. For all i care, Unilorin isnt futa or UI. Do we pay the same fees for tuition or accommodation? The institutions are not the same.
A union government that fights for the rights of its members by comparing the school with other schools is rather a clueless one. The reaction of the SUG can be likened to a situation in which a State A which pays 20000naira as bursary to its students reduced the bursary to 10,000naira and all that the Union Government of the students of the state could do is support the action of the state because state B and State C pay 5000 or 10,000.
I am not of the opinion that the SUG use violent means to fight for the students; it will only make matters worse and it will take us nowhere, just as we have seen in the recently concluded OAUIFE management-SUG saga. But i do believe that there are better ways to react to the situation than make a useless research about what other schools charge as acceptance fees.
UNN acceptance fee is 5000naira and ABU is 2000naira …. I wonder why our wonderful SUG didn’t make research about such schools and the ones they made research about were with higher acceptance fee charges...
If our SUG people will make comparisons, they should note that UI charges an average of 15000naira as accommodation fees while Unilorin, as at last session charged the sum of 28,000naira for hostels on campus and 35000 for the medical students’ hostel at the University Of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UITH).
I am a pro-Ishowo and I was an active supporter of Comrade Yakub Ishowo during the 2014 SUG elections …but it is rather unfortunate that the Ishowo-led administration started with this crap.
Well, this is not to criticize the SUG, but to urge the the Ishowo-led administration to give us something better as we move into the new session. We are currently expecting the school to release the fees schedule for the 2014/2015 session; if the school should ask our freshers to pay 100,000, I’ll see maybe the SUG will make a press release that they accept it because OAU did the same thing.

I will continue to support the Ishowo-led administration and the Unilorin community at large with prayers and I really do hope that the SUG will make better decisions in all issues that will not but come up during the 2014/2015 session…
God Bless Unilorin.

2 Likes

Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by Nobody: 7:10am On Aug 31, 2014
I tot d press statement was released by legal eagle on behalf of d union though...

I think the school is just trying to get money to fund some intended projects.

Buh 20k. Is too much na.
Imagine,#20000 * 9000= # 180000000
And we still have other charges o
Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by Nobody: 8:28am On Aug 31, 2014
the actual press release came from the office of the president....
legal eagle's own was just an opinion or shld I say an addition...
Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by oluwadanie1(m): 8:33am On Aug 31, 2014
DrHesjay: When I saw the press report that was released by Comrade Yakub Ishowo on behalf of the Student Union Government (SUG) of the University of Ilorin, I could not but think that the academic and political status of our dear nation is in shambles. The press release which i am talking about is none but the one of Thursday, 29th August,which was released in respect to the increase of the Acceptance fees charged by the University from a sum of 10,000naira to a whopping sum of 20,000. In his statement, Comrade Ishowo said "However, we taught of taking a step further, by
making enquiries from other universities on what they charge for acceptance. it was discovered that,OAU is 25k,Funaab is 45k,Unilag is 25k ,UI is 20k to FUTMINA is 35k, to mention but few"
Seeing the report, a lot of questions ran through my mind about the SUG. Is this really unionism? Do these people take us for fools? Are these really the people we voted in?
I know that the situation is not the fault of the SUG, it is all about the school increasing the acceptance fees due to reasons best known to the school management but the wrong of the SUG Is in comparing the acceptance fees charged by Better By Far with that of other Universities in the nation.
It would have been better if the SUG did not react to the matter than reacting to it and all they could come up with was that they accepted the situation just because FUTA charges a hundred thousand or UI charges a million. For all i care, Unilorin isnt futa or UI. Do we pay the same fees for tuition or accommodation? The institutions are not the same.
A union government that fights for the rights of its members by comparing the school with other schools is rather a clueless one. The reaction of the SUG can be likened to a situation in which a State A which pays 20000naira as bursary to its students reduced the bursary to 10,000naira and all that the Union Government of the students of the state could do is support the action of the state because state B and State C pay 5000 or 10,000.
I am not of the opinion that the SUG use violent means to fight for the students; it will only make matters worse and it will take us nowhere, just as we have seen in the recently concluded OAUIFE management-SUG saga. But i do believe that there are better ways to react to the situation than make a useless research about what other schools charge as acceptance fees.
UNN acceptance fee is 5000naira and ABU is 2000naira …. I wonder why our wonderful SUG didn’t make research about such schools and the ones they made research about were with higher acceptance fee charges...
If our SUG people will make comparisons, they should note that UI charges an average of 15000naira as accommodation fees while Unilorin, as at last session charged the sum of 28,000naira for hostels on campus and 35000 for the medical students’ hostel at the University Of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UITH).
I am a pro-Ishowo and I was an active supporter of Comrade Yakub Ishowo during the 2014 SUG elections …but it is rather unfortunate that the Ishowo-led administration started with this crap.
Well, this is not to criticize the SUG, but to urge the the Ishowo-led administration to give us something better as we move into the new session. We are currently expecting the school to release the fees schedule for the 2014/2015 session; if the school should ask our freshers to pay 100,000, I’ll see maybe the SUG will make a press release that they accept it because OAU did the same thing.

I will continue to support the Ishowo-led administration and the Unilorin community at large with prayers and I really do hope that the SUG will make better decisions in all issues that will not but come up during the 2014/2015 session…
God Bless Unilorin.

That's true sir but I also think he made a point when he said this below;
"is there anything the union can do? The reason for this question is, as provided in the constitution of Students’ Union, members of the union are all matriculated students of the university and the students concerned are non matriculated students."

#justsayin
Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by isoh(m): 8:36am On Aug 31, 2014
oluwadanie1: Following the controversy that trails the incessant increase of the acceptance fee payable by the newly admitted student of the University of ilorin. The student Union boss Comrade Ishowo Yakub has spoken barely 24 hours after the provisional admission list as well as the acceptance fees was made available to the public on the university’s website.

Find his Update below:

Press Release from the office of the president,Student’s Union University Of Ilorin.

It was a shock when I checked the school site yesterday to see that the Acceptance fees for the newly admitted students is 20k, the first thing that came to my mind was,” is there anything the union can do? The reason for this question is, as provided in the constitution of Students’ Union, members of the union are all matriculated students of the university and the students concerned are non matriculated students.

However, we taught of taking a step further, by making enquiries from other universities on what they charge for acceptance it was discovered that,OAU is 25k,Funaab is 45k, Unilag is 25k ,UI is 20k to FUTMINA is 35k, to mention but view. Still we met with appropriate bodies of the university to know why the amount was decided,fortunately enough, we were made to know that the allocation coming to the universities has been drastically reduced by the Government which is a fact, and the university can not be smoothly develop except with the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR).

On this note, I want us to know that, the union will never be silent when justice is been denied. Because “INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE” and also the union will be so unfair to take any unjust actions,when we have every facts to act reasonably."
Full details @ http://acadablog.com/unilorin-sug-president-press-release-about-the-increase-in-universitys-acceptance-fee/

if this is coming from the office of an SUG PRESIDENT, I give up on the following:
1. Student activism
2. Use of English in Nigerian universities

2 Likes

Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by Nobody: 2:03pm On Aug 31, 2014
oluwadanie1:

That's true sir but I also think he made a point when he said this below;
"is there anything the union can do? The reason for this question is, as provided in the constitution of Students’ Union, members of the union are all matriculated students of the university and the students concerned are non matriculated students."

#justsayin
I never said he didn't say something good..
I pointed that his wrong was in the comparison...
if he knew he wasn't going to come up with something good...y did he try?
Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by Nobody: 2:23pm On Aug 31, 2014
Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by smithsammy(m): 2:41pm On Aug 31, 2014
oluwadanie1: Following the controversy that trails the incessant increase of the acceptance fee payable by the newly admitted student of the University of ilorin. The student Union boss Comrade Ishowo Yakub has spoken barely 24 hours after the provisional admission list as well as the acceptance fees was made available to the public on the university’s website.

Find his Update below:

If this is coming from the SUG president of the "better by far" university (as they used to call it,) then what is better there? A very shabby and childish write up. Really, anytime, any day, I always look forward to reading press release from the OAU's SUG president. Frankly speaking, that dude's use-of-English is very proficient, and is speech and write-ups are always flawless. (I'm not an oauite though)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by oluwadanie1(m): 9:48pm On Aug 31, 2014
[quote
author=yemmydy]As a matter of fact unilorin is stylishlly increasing
theirs fees.I could remember in 2010 we did not pay any acceptance fee
but paid about 35000 as sch fees(including other charges),2011 5000 was
introduced as acceptance fee,2013 fees ranges from 70000 cos student
were given tablet. Now 20000 as acceptance fee plus dat high charges and
it is a federal university.before u no it a poor man child will not be
able to attend unilorin cos of high charges. As per the SU , they ar
just figure head.[/quote]

Thats Ambali for you.
though i was not here during the Oloyede's regime but i hear students complain about how Ambali has attached payment to almost everything you do unlike oloyede.
Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by oluwadanie1(m): 9:52pm On Aug 31, 2014
isoh:

if this is coming from the office of an SUG PRESIDENT, I give up on the following:
1. Student activism
2. Use of English in Nigerian universities

on student's activism, i would say he made a point about members of the union been the matriculated students, and the students in question are not yet matriculated.

on use of english, i don't really know what to say.
Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by oluwadanie1(m): 9:56pm On Aug 31, 2014
[quote
author=smithsammy]If this is coming from the SUG president of the
"better by far" university (as they used to call it,) then what is
better there? A very shabby and childish write up. Really, anytime,
any day, I always look forward to reading press release from the OAU's
SUG president. Frankly speaking, that dude's use-of-English is very
proficient, and is speech and write-ups are always flawless. (I'm not an
oauite though)[/quote]

no beef intended sir.
but i just noticed that anytime unilorin is mentioned, people are quick to mention OAU too.
why
Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by smithsammy(m): 6:46am On Sep 01, 2014
oluwadanie1:

no beef intended sir.
but i just noticed that anytime unilorin is mentioned, people are quick to mention OAU too.
why
well, I would take that as a coincidence bro.
Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by Nobody: 10:36pm On Sep 01, 2014
Not really.. just that oau peeps r really sad about unilorin overtaking d school.. And who cares sef?

1 Like

Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by roland2rule(m): 3:05am On Sep 02, 2014
DrHesjay: Not really.. just that oau peeps r really sad about unilorin overtaking d school.. And who cares sef?

WOREFA... undecided
Re: Unilorin SUG President Press Release About Increase In The Acceptance Fees by oluwadanie1(m): 5:50pm On Sep 04, 2014
roland2rule:

WOREFA... undecided

grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

What Could Be The Answer If Not 6 (photo ) / 38 Nigeria Universities Increase School Fees To These New Prices (FULL LIST) / Top 7 Most Marketable Courses In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.