Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,607 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:06 PM

Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? (2254 Views)

Christianity; The Reason For Science / Could Sin Be The Reason For Joblessness? / Our Main Concern (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? by Nobody: 11:38am On Aug 31, 2014
I was listening to Jonathan this afternoon and I heard him saying "We need to pray".
Of course we need to pray to God for aid but the rate at which black people make this statement is as if we do not have brains.
If we needed to be calling on God all the time then why were we given brains.

I think we can stir people to action, to reason and logic, to natural laws, economic laws, business laws and rules. Motivation and the rest rather than just always saying they should pray.

What's your take?

6 Likes

Re: Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 05, 2014
Thanks for the anticipated reasonable comments.
Re: Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? by CrazyMan(m): 6:51pm On Oct 06, 2014
NairaMode:
I was listening to Jonathan this afternoon and I heard him saying "We need to pray".
Of course we need to pray to God for aid but the rate at which black people make this statement is as if we do not have brains.
You're right, the black man sees every problem he encounters in life as a spiritual one.

You fail an exam, reason...devil.

You weren't favoured in a job interview reason...devil.

All your siblings are married and at 38 you're yet to find a husband reason...devil.

You were traveling and your bus had and accident, reason...devil.

You are childless after 10 years of marriage reason...devil.

I can go on and on...

The African man just like our clueless president papa jona uses the devil as an excuse for his failures, rather than getting rid of the canker worm called corruption that has eaten every bit of integrity in his government, failing to keep the hundreds of promises he made to Nigerians in order to get their vote, he's asking us to pray. And some foolish ones would gather and stave themselves (fasting and praying), and what do they (leaders) do in return, they increase their looting, their lies, their dishonesty.

In life the moment you refuse to admit a wrong choice you made which led to your immediate condition, you would find it difficult to move past that stage regardless of how may days you spend praying, fasting, rolling on the floor and knocking your head against the wall.

Nigerian leaders must admit that they're all thieves and looters, they must admit they have betrayed the people's trust and failed in the promise to uphold the vows they took when they were sworn into office. Without that, I'm afraid that even if we pray from now till eternity, nothing would change.

NairaMode:
I think we can stir people to action, to reason and logic, to natural laws, economic laws, business laws and rules. Motivation and the rest rather than just always saying they should pray.

What's your take?
I agree with you. Unfortunately I'm afraid that your efforts might hit a brick wall cos Africans are the most brainwashed creatures on this planet.

What I've observed in Nigeria is that if you question a "Man of God" you're evil and hell awaits you.

If you ask probing questions about unclear message in the bible, you're evil and hell awaits you.

If you try to enlighten people to be logical in their reasoning...you're evil and hell awaits you.

Little wonder how an uneducated MOG can frighten a university don (prof) into believing he would spend an eternity in hell simply because he refused to share a certain 10% of his income with them.

I was at a revival service in a church where a man who claimed he died and went to heaven was ministering. He (the man) went as far as telling us (the congregation) that makeup would lead you to hell, weavon would lead you to hell, trouser would lead you to hell and many more awful stories which I can't remember at the moment.

Then I asked myself. Why would a God who sent his one and only son to die for the redemption of mankind condemn his creation to an eternity in hell over a mere makeup or weavon or trouser...I felt like hancuffing the preacher and sending him to a mental asylum.

But then I thought again, that message must have sunk into the hearts of so many religious mothers in that congregation. Now rather than raising daughters and teaching them what integrity means, they spend a lifetime forcing them to put on "mary amaka" skirts, making them look like house helps all in the name of making heaven. Africa truly has a serious problem.

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? by dein77(m): 7:39pm On Oct 06, 2014
Actually, the misapplication of religion, and not religion, is the main reason Africa is backward.
Our version of religion banishes critical thinking, human responsibility, vision, personal commitment, hard work and passion for life.
We foolishly assume and believe God will.come down to address our myriads of problems while God Himself had placed us here to be problem solvers.
The brains of most Nigerians are disengaged the moment God or Satan is mentioned in a sentence.
We are responsible for our backwardness.
The most religious nations are the least developed because such societies have abandoned the ethics of human accountability and responsibilities.
It's dumb to ask God to solve problems He has equipped us with faculties and resources to solve.
Jesus, instead of rolling away the stone covering Lazarus tomb, asked men to roll it away cos He knew they could do that aspect.
Here in Nigeria, religion is really a threat to development and progress.
Apart from religion, I also believe blacks aren't really mentally strong as the Whites. We don't think far beyond our stomach and bank accounts.
Man was created to think. Nature abhors vacuum. We are a lazy people.
Religion is a consolation for the Africans.
God didn't build the US. He didn't build Dubai.
He didn't build Europe.
He won't build Africa.
We must apply religion properly.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 11, 2014
dein77:
Actually, the misapplication of religion, and not religion, is the main reason Africa is backward.
Our version of religion banishes critical thinking, human responsibility, vision, personal commitment, hard work and passion for life.
We foolishly assume and believe God will.come down to address our myriads of problems while God Himself had placed us here to be problem solvers.
The brains of most Nigerians are disengaged the moment God or Satan is mentioned in a sentence.
We are responsible for our backwardness.
The most religious nations are the least developed because such societies have abandoned the ethics of human accountability and responsibilities.
It's dumb to ask God to solve problems He has equipped us with faculties and resources to solve.
Jesus, instead of rolling away the stone covering Lazarus tomb, asked men to roll it away cos He knew they could do that aspect.
Here in Nigeria, religion is really a threat to development and progress.
Apart from religion, I also believe blacks aren't really mentally strong as the Whites. We don't think far beyond our stomach and bank accounts.
Man was created to think. Nature abhors vacuum. We are a lazy people.
Religion is a consolation for the Africans.
God didn't build the US. He didn't build Dubai.
He didn't build Europe.
He won't build Africa.
We must apply religion properly.

How can there be a misapplication of religion if it didnt exist in the first place?.

Im sure some other people will not agree that it is religion.
People have argued that it is our level of reasoning, education, corruption and the rest.

What is your take people?.

1 Like

Re: Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Oct 11, 2014
@poster, the problem with people like you is that you are so cocksure of your condescending, racist assumptions that you don't bother to check the current trajectory of 'black people' on the world economic ladder. 6 of the world's 10 fastest growing economies are in Africa. I'll repeat that: 6 of the world's 10 fastest growing economies are in Africa. This CLEARLY means that your racist insinuations are meaningless and worthless, and should be consequently abandoned, or you will be left behind by the African Renaissance. Historically, no one race has always been prosperous, developed etc. All races have had their periods of 'backwardness' in relation to the rest of the globe. Europe, during its Dark Ages, was the worst place you could be on earth. Their Dark Ages lasted nearly a thousand years, up till the 16th century, when they were 'rescued' by black African Moors who brought political organization, (the Moors founded many monarchical dynasties in Europe), education, new technologies in areas like architecture and medicine. It was an intervention which laid the foundation for the industrial revolution. So there is no such thing as permanence in world history. It is a cycle. And all races have their day.

1 Like

Re: Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Oct 11, 2014
ROSSIKE:
@poster, the problem with people like you is that you are so cocksure of your condescending, racist assumptions that you don't bother to check the current trajectory of 'black people' on the world economic ladder. 6 of the world's 10 fastest growing economies are in Africa. I'll repeat that: 6 of the world's 10 fastest growing economies are in Africa. This CLEARLY means that your racist insinuations are meaningless and worthless, and should be consequently abandoned, or you will be left behind by the African Renaissance. Historically, no one race has always been prosperous, developed etc. All races have had their periods of 'backwardness' in relation to the rest of the globe. Europe, during its Dark Ages, was the worst place you could be on earth. Their Dark Ages lasted nearly a thousand years, up till the 16th century, when they were 'rescued' by black African Moors who brought political organization, (the Moors founded many monarchical dynasties in Europe), education, new technologies in areas like architecture and medicine. It was an intervention which laid the foundation for the industrial revolution. So there is no such thing as permanence in world history. It is a cycle. And all races have their day.

You are exactly what you are preaching against bro.
Be civil, use common sense, lay out your arguments logically, don't attack the person, attack the debate and I will listen to you.
This is a lesson you should learn bro. It is priceless.

Kindly let us have more relevant views ROSSIKE.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Oct 22, 2014
Still need more contributions.
Re: Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? by mazaje(m): 9:21pm On Oct 22, 2014
Everything that man needs to do must be done by man himself. . .No god can do anything for humans, until we understand that as africans we will continue to remain were we are at the bottom. . . .We need to embrace naturalism and do away with our spiritual conception of life, natural problem have natural solutions, spiritual problems have spiritual solutions, if you believe diseases are caused by natural agents then you can easily find solutions to them but if you believe they are caused by supernatural or spiritual agents then you will keep praying to supernatural agents in vain. . .

3 Likes

Re: Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 22, 2014
NairaMode:

What's your take?

Religion is a proof we are still a backward society

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? by davien(m): 10:10pm On Oct 22, 2014
There might still be a chance... it is very slim though....it was just yesterday i passed across a young undergraduate educating his peers on the "folly of evolution" as a message from hell sad
Re: Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? by paulGrundy(m): 10:43pm On Oct 22, 2014
[size=50pt]no[/size]
Re: Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? by qstar(m): 8:14am On Oct 23, 2014
CrazyMan:

What I've observed in Nigeria is that if you question a "Man of God" you're evil and hell awaits you.

If you ask probing questions about unclear message in the bible, you're evil and hell awaits you.

If you try to enlighten people to be logical in their reasoning...you're evil and hell awaits you.

Little wonder how an uneducated MOG can frighten a university don (prof) into believing he would spend an eternity in hell simply because he refused to share a certain 10% of his income with them.

I was at a revival service in a church where a man who claimed he died and went to heaven was ministering. He (the man) went as far as telling us (the congregation) that makeup would lead you to hell, weavon would lead you to hell, trouser would lead you to hell and many more awful stories which I can't remember at the moment.

Then I asked myself. Why would a God who sent his one and only son to die for the redemption of mankind condemn his creation to an eternity in hell over a mere makeup or weavon or trouser...I felt like hancuffing the preacher and sending him to a mental asylum.

This is my problem with religion... What on earth can one do to earn him/her an endless time in torture? save for cases of murder, r.ape.
Not to talk of people that are outrightly condemned because they rejected some theological books that were sold to them, not because of any crime/evil committed.

Now, that is a pure definition of sadism.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Oct 28, 2014
We thank God that the issue of BokoHaram is fast disappearing.
These are the problems of religion.
Re: Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? by Nobody: 6:32am On Oct 29, 2014
CrazyMan:

You're right, the black man sees every problem he encounters in life as a spiritual one.

You fail an exam, reason...devil.

You weren't favoured in a job interview reason...devil.

All your siblings are married and at 38 you're yet to find a husband reason...devil.

You were traveling and your bus had and accident, reason...devil.

You are childless after 10 years of marriage reason...devil.

I can go on and on...

The African man just like our clueless president papa jona uses the devil as an excuse for his failures, rather than getting rid of the canker worm called corruption that has eaten every bit of integrity in his government, failing to keep the hundreds of promises he made to Nigerians in order to get their vote, he's asking us to pray. And some foolish ones would gather and stave themselves (fasting and praying), and what do they (leaders) do in return, they increase their looting, their lies, their dishonesty.

In life the moment you refuse to admit a wrong choice you made which led to your immediate condition, you would find it difficult to move past that stage regardless of how may days you spend praying, fasting, rolling on the floor and knocking your head against the wall.

Nigerian leaders must admit that they're all thieves and looters, they must admit they have betrayed the people's trust and failed in the promise to uphold the vows they took when they were sworn into office. Without that, I'm afraid that even if we pray from now till eternity, nothing would change.

I agree with you. Unfortunately I'm afraid that your efforts might hit a brick wall cos Africans are the most brainwashed creatures on this planet.

But then I thought again, that message must have sunk into the hearts of so many religious mothers in that congregation. Now rather than raising daughters and teaching them what integrity means, they spend a lifetime forcing them to put on "mary amaka" skirts, making them look like house helps all in the name of making heaven. Africa truly has a serious problem.

Thank you for being objective. There are not so many objective Christians around.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 31, 2014
Religion!!!
We all heard what Boko Haram did in the name of God today at Gombe.
Re: Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? by ecclesiaok(m): 8:46pm On Oct 31, 2014
NairaMode:
Religion!!!
We all heard what Boko Haram did in the name of God today at Gombe.
In the name of allah and not God
Re: Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? by Nobody: 5:06am On Nov 08, 2014
Lovely comments so far. Want more.

(1) (Reply)

Prayer Warrior Dies Of Ebola. Name Of Jesus Cannot Cure Ebola / Why I Will Never Forgive My Parents / Why Do Muslims Get Upset When People Call Them Terrorists?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.