Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,047 members, 7,807,150 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:20 AM

Igbos Are At Home In North – Ohanaeze - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos Are At Home In North – Ohanaeze (472 Views)

"Ugonna Madueke's New Home In London" - Trezzyblog / Superman Soldier Spotted In North East Battle Ground / We’ll Revenge Attack On Ndigbo In North –ohanaeze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos Are At Home In North – Ohanaeze by 1United1: 11:32pm On Aug 31, 2014
The president of Ohanaeze Ndi Igbo, Kaduna State Branch, Chief Austin C. Amaechi, has said that the Igbo would not abandon their multi-billion naira investment in the North. He said his people in the region would not be forced to go back to the East despite the wave of insecurity, adding that they are at home in the North.
 Speaking yesterday at his inauguration as the newly selected president of Ohanaeze  Ndi Igbo, Kaduna State Branch, Amaechi said that since there are a lot of Igbo people in most northern parts of the country, it is important to have a leader that can enhance peaceful co-existence between them and their hosts, as well as protect their investments.
 “The Igbo currently have investments of over N40 billion in the North. So how can they leave that and go to the East? Economically, we are at home in the North. We also want to participate politically. We will therefore ensure that we pursue peace with our host communities and among the Igbo communities. This is because once there is peace, our investments and other people’s investments will be secured. If there is no peace, it is not only the investments of the Igbo that would be threatened; other Nigerians would also be affected.
 “There are a lot of Igbo people in most of the northern parts of the country. So there is the need to have a sound leader to ensure that the good relationship between them and their host communities is sustained. My mission is therefore to enhance an understanding between the Igbo in Kaduna State and their host communities,’’ he said.  
 Amaechi was selected to replace the late Engineer Andrew Nwaekwe, who passed away in 2012. He called on the people to disregard the call by some groups that the Igbo should leave the North ahead of the 2015 general elections.
“I am aware that our brothers in the [b]Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) have called on the Igbo in the North and outside Igbo communities in the East to come home. As the new Igbo leader in Kaduna, I hereby call on our people to realise that we are comfortable here in the North. We are waxing stronger and stronger. We are feeling at home; hence we have no reason to think of going home. We are not just coming to the North; we have been in the North from the beginning. I call on all the Igbo in the North to participate in the 2015 general elections and ensure that credible leaders, who will protect, not only the interest of the host communities, but the interest of the non- natives, are elected into offices.
“I also want to say that during the Nigerian civil war, the properties of the Igbo were secured by northerners. And after the war when the Igbo came back, our properties were handed over to us, including the money collected from rents. That helped us to re-establish ourselves after the war. I don’t want to point to other parts of Nigeria where the investments of the Igbo were declared abandoned properties. That never happened in the North.[/b] That is giving us the confidence to continue investing in the North despite the security challenges. I can assure you that the investment will continue because very soon, the security challenges will come to an end by the Grace of God,” he said.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/sunday/index.php/news/17988-igbos-are-at-home-in-north-ohanaeze
Re: Igbos Are At Home In North – Ohanaeze by 1United1: 11:32pm On Aug 31, 2014
Reality Time! tongue
Re: Igbos Are At Home In North – Ohanaeze by rawpadgin(m): 12:02am On Sep 01, 2014
when boko boys strike again nobody should count how many Igbos are victim o
Re: Igbos Are At Home In North – Ohanaeze by Emmafrancis: 12:02am On Sep 01, 2014
HmmMmmm. 2015 is around the corner oooo. When it starts happening , I will not waste my energy to type R.I.P for anybody.

(1) (Reply)

Opinion Polls - Do You Want President Goodluck Jonathan In 2015? / Adamawa Governorship Race: Ribadu, Seven Others Step Down Talatu Usman / #bringbackjonathan A Mockery Of #bringbackourgirls – APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.