Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:56 AM

What Type of Pain (Problem) Are You Solving? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Type of Pain (Problem) Are You Solving? (1241 Views)

Solving Real Problems / [programming Levels] What Type Of Programmer Are You? / Algorithm For Solving Systems Of Linear Equations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Type of Pain (Problem) Are You Solving? by toshodei: 6:01am On Sep 01, 2014
Your marketing approach will depend on the pain you’re targeting.
“One thing that people don’t appreciate enough is that there’s different types of pain.” – Patrick McKenzie
Before you start building your product, ask yourself: how intense is the pain I am targeting? This is important, because the level of pain a customer is experiencing will determine:
How much they are willing to pay for the solution
How desperate they are to find a solution
To explain, I’m going to ask you to think about your dentist (stay with me).
Your dentist deals with different thresholds of pain:
Extreme pain: “ARGH! This toothache is killing me! I need a dentist right now!!!”
Moderate pain: “My gums have been bugging me lately. I should book an appointment sometime soon.”
Low pain: “I haven’t gone in for a checkup yet this year.”
(I also like the way Michael Buckbee categorizes pain intensity. He asks: “Does this pain need morphine, aspirin, or a vitamin?”)
Notice how the type of marketing your dentist employs corresponds with the intensity of the pain:
Extreme pain (morphine)
The customer is highly motivated to find a solution. They google “dentists nearby” and book an appointment with the first office that has availability.
In a situation like this, search engine optimization (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM) would be the primary focus. This is “pull marketing”: the customer is desperate and in motion. They’re under pressure to find a solution quickly, which is why having good page rank (or an ad at the top of the screen) makes sense.
Businesses targeting extreme pain also have a pricing advantage. Often, the greater the pain, the more people are willing to pay (this is why Uber is able to use surge pricing).
What are some examples of products that solve extreme pain points?
Zapier: “If we don’t figure out this integration this week, we’re going to lose this deal.”
JSON-CSV: “My developer went home for the day, and I need to convert this JSON data to a CSV right now.”
Churnbuster: “How am I going to deal with all the customers with expiring credit cards?”
Moderate pain (aspirin)
Marketing moderate pain points employs both “push” and “pull” techniques.
For example, the dentist might place an ad in the paper that says:
“Experiencing gum discomfort? We can fix that”
This is push marketing: it proactively reminds the customer that there is a solution for their problem.
But some customers might be personally motivated to google “how to get rid of gum pain”, so the dentist could also write a series of blog posts on different treatment options (pull marketing).
how-to-get-rid-of-gum-pain.png
There is a lot of opportunity to solve moderate pain points, but it’s also where many entrepreneurs fail. Finding a pain that people will pay to get rid of isn’t easy.
“You want people who know they have the problem and who are actively looking for solutions, rather than a pain that’s bearable.” - Patrick McKenzie
What are some use-cases where products solve moderate pain points?
Baremetrics: “I really wish I didn’t have to update this Excel sheet manually with our SaaS numbers every month.”
Sprintly: “I wish I didn’t have to interrupt my developers every time I needed a status update on this project.”
Low pain (vitamin)
What do I mean by “low pain”? These are problems that require more of a vitamin, than an aspirin.
These solutions require a lot of push marketing. The company needs to both show the consumer that they have a problem, and then convince them to purchase their solution.
Your dentist’s office spends a considerable amount of its budget reminding you to come in for regular checkups. They’ll send you a postcard every 6 months, and follow-up with phone calls, just to get you to book that appointment.

Link ~> http://justinjackson.ca/the-pain-you-cant-stand/
Re: What Type of Pain (Problem) Are You Solving? by RandallGood: 6:10am On Sep 21, 2020
Suppose you have a big family which consists of many children. Then you have to buy furniture from best assignment writers uk, by keeping mind the strength of your family. A single bed is for just two persons. If you have many people in your family, then buy an upside-down bed from here.
Re: What Type of Pain (Problem) Are You Solving? by codeigniter(m): 9:29pm On Sep 21, 2020
toshodei:
Your marketing approach will depend on the pain you’re targeting.
“One thing that people don’t appreciate enough is that there’s different types of pain.” – Patrick McKenzie
Before you start building your product, ask yourself: how intense is the pain I am targeting? This is important, because the level of pain a customer is experiencing will determine:
How much they are willing to pay for the solution
How desperate they are to find a solution
To explain, I’m going to ask you to think about your dentist (stay with me).
Your dentist deals with different thresholds of pain:
Extreme pain: “ARGH! This toothache is killing me! I need a dentist right now!!!”
Moderate pain: “My gums have been bugging me lately. I should book an appointment sometime soon.”
Low pain: “I haven’t gone in for a checkup yet this year.”
(I also like the way Michael Buckbee categorizes pain intensity. He asks: “Does this pain need morphine, aspirin, or a vitamin?”)
Notice how the type of marketing your dentist employs corresponds with the intensity of the pain:
Extreme pain (morphine)
The customer is highly motivated to find a solution. They google “dentists nearby” and book an appointment with the first office that has availability.
In a situation like this, search engine optimization (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM) would be the primary focus. This is “pull marketing”: the customer is desperate and in motion. They’re under pressure to find a solution quickly, which is why having good page rank (or an ad at the top of the screen) makes sense.
Businesses targeting extreme pain also have a pricing advantage. Often, the greater the pain, the more people are willing to pay (this is why Uber is able to use surge pricing).
What are some examples of products that solve extreme pain points?
Zapier: “If we don’t figure out this integration this week, we’re going to lose this deal.”
JSON-CSV: “My developer went home for the day, and I need to convert this JSON data to a CSV right now.”
Churnbuster: “How am I going to deal with all the customers with expiring credit cards?”
Moderate pain (aspirin)
Marketing moderate pain points employs both “push” and “pull” techniques.
For example, the dentist might place an ad in the paper that says:
“Experiencing gum discomfort? We can fix that”
This is push marketing: it proactively reminds the customer that there is a solution for their problem.
But some customers might be personally motivated to google “how to get rid of gum pain”, so the dentist could also write a series of blog posts on different treatment options (pull marketing).
how-to-get-rid-of-gum-pain.png
There is a lot of opportunity to solve moderate pain points, but it’s also where many entrepreneurs fail. Finding a pain that people will pay to get rid of isn’t easy.
“You want people who know they have the problem and who are actively looking for solutions, rather than a pain that’s bearable.” - Patrick McKenzie
What are some use-cases where products solve moderate pain points?
Baremetrics: “I really wish I didn’t have to update this Excel sheet manually with our SaaS numbers every month.”
Sprintly: “I wish I didn’t have to interrupt my developers every time I needed a status update on this project.”
Low pain (vitamin)
What do I mean by “low pain”? These are problems that require more of a vitamin, than an aspirin.
These solutions require a lot of push marketing. The company needs to both show the consumer that they have a problem, and then convince them to purchase their solution.
Your dentist’s office spends a considerable amount of its budget reminding you to come in for regular checkups. They’ll send you a postcard every 6 months, and follow-up with phone calls, just to get you to book that appointment.

Link ~> http://justinjackson.ca/the-pain-you-cant-stand/

this post makes sense

(1) (Reply)

Good News For Every Nigeria Developer..finally Nigeria Is Ready For Tech. / Can A Software Engineer Be Like Every Other Entrepreneur / School Management Software By Flexisaf Edusoft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.