Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:33 PM

The 10 Toughest Exams In The World - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The 10 Toughest Exams In The World (7193 Views)

Ten (10) Toughest Courses To Study In The University / Top 10 Toughest Courses To Study In The University / Dead Students Write Exams in Oko Poly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by KillerBeauty(f): 7:54am On Sep 01, 2014
We’ve all been there. You spend months – or even years – studying for an exam, only to turn over the question paper and discover that it has been written in an apparently alien language, discussing topics that have never even danced across one’s memory. However, after some profuse sweating and maybe a few tears, the mortal panic starts to subside and familiar words begin to drift into view; the brain whirs into life, and a torrent of crammed knowledge can finally be unburdened onto the paper. It’s a terrifying enough process even when someone knows their subject, so we certainly don’t envy the thousands of people that sit the world’s hardest exams.

10. Indian Engineering Services Examination

Anyone who wants to work in an engineering role for the Indian government better have a voraciously competitive streak. The Indian Engineering Services (IES) exam is widely regarded as the toughest in India, with the number of candidates outweighing the number of available jobs by a staggering margin. In 2010, for example, 157,649 hopeful candidates competed for just 434 vacant positions. The exam itself consists of a two-part written test spanning 12 hours plus an interview-format personality test. While the number of available engineering posts was said to have risen to up to 763 in 2013, we’re still not sure we’d fancy our chances with this one.

9. Mensa Admission Test

Only a select few will do well in the admission test for Mensa, the oldest and biggest high IQ organization on the planet. In order to become a member of the society, applicants simply need to prove that they have an IQ in at least the 98th percentile of the general population, by way of an approved IQ-testing procedure. Though membership does not confer the same benefits or advantages as some of the other exams on our list, individuals get to join an elite and incredibly smart club. Interestingly, Christina Brown became a member of U.S. Mensa at the terrifyingly young age of two years and eight months, while the oldest person belonging to American Mensa is 102.

8. Chartered Financial Analyst Exam

The Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) exam – which has been dubbed Wall Street’s hardest test – sees less than a fifth of entrants pass on their first attempt. There are actually three separate exams (levels I, II and III), which must be passed in order. The first two are multiple-choice format tests, while the third features essay questions as well as further multiple-choice sections. Only two types of calculator are permitted in the exam, and the level II and III tests are held on a single day once a year, so it’s a long wait for a retake should examinees fail – which, statistically at least, they are likely to do.

7. California Bar Exam

Gruelling questions and ultra-low pass rates are two of the most obvious hallmarks of a tough exam, but when an administrative body is sued for its exams being “unnecessarily difficult,” it’s safe to assume that its tests are no walk in the park. And that’s precisely what happened to the State Bar of California, albeit in 1934. The lawsuit was unsuccessful, but the state’s bar exam retains its fearful reputation to this day, and it is widely regarded as one of the most difficult of its kind in the U.S. The exam is split over three days and consists of 18 hours of essay questions and performance tests. Moreover, its pass rate oscillates between 35 and 55 percent, which is consistently the lowest in the country.

6. Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert Exam

Introduced in 1993, the Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) certification is recognized as perhaps the foremost qualification in the networking industry. Attaining the certification is no mean feat, with a two-stage exam process for which the typical candidate will spend a minimum of 18 months preparing. The first part of the exam is a two-hour written test, featuring 90 to 110 questions, which currently costs $350 to enter and will provide an immediate pass or fail result. The fortunate recipients of a pass then become eligible to spend a further $1,500 on the second part of the program, an eight-hour hands-on lab exam. Fewer than 1 percent of networking professionals hold the qualification, which gives some insight into the toughness of the exam.

5. Malaysia Certificate in Legal Practice Exam

As its name suggests, Malaysia’s Certificate in Legal Practice is one of the qualifications that enables the holder to become a qualified lawyer in the country. The test is conducted annually and requires candidates to complete five papers on subjects including professional practice, evidence and criminal procedure; all five must be successfully passed before the certificate is awarded. Since the exam’s launch in 1984, the pass rate (excluding re-sits) has plunged from near 80 percent in its first year to 26.63 percent in 2012 – testament, it would seem, to the exam’s incredible difficulty levels. The lowest ever pass rate was actually in 2001, where it bottomed out at below 20 percent.

4. Gaokao

China’s National Higher Education Entrance Examination, also known as Gaokao, is the main exam sat by the country’s students who wish to go to college. The test is so important that building work is suspended, the areas around schools are cordoned off by police, and flights are diverted so as to minimize noise. The Olympic torch relay was even rerouted during the 2008 Beijing Olympics to avoid any distractions. Pressure on the high school students sitting the exam is immense and has been associated with fainting, depression and increased youth suicide rates in China. In 2012 reports even emerged of students at one school apparently getting intravenous amino acid drips to help their concentration while studying for the exam.

3. All Souls College Examination Fellowship

Comprised of a written exam of four three-hour papers, the Fellowship Examination at Oxford University’s All Souls College is widely regarded as one of the toughest tests in the world. Perhaps part of that reputation stems from the notorious fifth paper, in which candidates were required to write an essay response to a single word. This element of the exam was dropped in 2010, but the test remains daunting, with just two successful candidates from the 50-plus field in any year. Successful students receive free lodgings, a salary or stipend, and usually have their tuition fees paid for them, so for some it’s probably worth all the anguish. However, with past exam questions having included “Did the left or the right win the twentieth century?” and “Is gardening art?” you might need an imaginative streak as well as knowledge in order to succeed. And who knows? That nightmarish fifth paper may be re-introduced in the future.

2. Indian Institute of Technology Joint Entrance Examination

The Indian Institute of Technology Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE) was until recently the bane of around 500,000 Indian engineering students’ academic lives. The annual entrance exam for India’s more prestigious engineering colleges saw its half a million candidates competing for just 10,000 college places. It originally debuted in 1960 and has come to exert such a strong influence on contemporary Indian society that coaching for the exam is itself a multi-billion-rupee industry. Incredibly, some tuition classes even have entrance exams of their own. In 2013 the IIT-JEE was switched for a common exam covering entrance to a wider range of colleges, but whether it’s any easier remains to be seen.

1. Master Sommelier Diploma Exam

The first Master Sommelier Diploma exam took place in 1969 in the U.K. Since then, a mere 202 candidates have made the grade to ascend to the wine world’s highest professional tier. Before the exam can even be taken, three other levels of qualification – introductory, certified and advanced – need to be attained, with pass rates for the advanced test usually no more than 30 percent. The Master Sommelier Diploma exam itself is split into three sections: an oral theory test, a blind tasting and a practical wine service test. Each section costs $795 to enter, and while failed tests can be retaken, all three sections must be passed within a three-year window, otherwise it’s back to square one. Furthermore, if that wasn’t tough enough, the test is said to be getting harder, with just one of 70 U.S. candidates emerging triumphant from an exam that took place in July 2013.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by McWhillion(m): 8:03am On Sep 01, 2014
Nigerian Job Aptitude Tests grin

7 Likes

Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by purplesummer(f): 8:11am On Sep 01, 2014
Where's the
Nigerian Bar Final Exam
The list is not yet complete.

1 Like

Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by sweettease(f): 8:54am On Sep 01, 2014
So Jamb no make the list Heheheheheh
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by MoyoGENERAL: 9:04am On Sep 01, 2014
sweettease: So Jamb no make the list Heheheheheh
jamb na exam?
....exam wey average person dey use gragra pass....
jamb too easy jhorrrrr

2 Likes

Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by Nobody: 9:12am On Sep 01, 2014
2nd Mbbs exam.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by menix(m): 9:31am On Sep 01, 2014
Recent WAEC exams.. No wonder ova 60% failure.
I luv my country....
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by Nobody: 9:34am On Sep 01, 2014
National postgraduate medical college
Family medicine nko?

1 Like

Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by Lilimax(f): 9:38am On Sep 01, 2014
All these Indian's exams sef undecided
Little wonder their country is advancing in the area of Technology
Keke Marwa, Keke Napep etc on my mind .

Btw, how come no Nigeria examination met the requirementsembarassed
ICAN, UME, MBBS, ANAN, ...etc, where art thou?

1 Like

Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by sweettease(f): 9:49am On Sep 01, 2014
MoyoGENERAL:
jamb na exam?
....exam wey average person dey use gragra pass....
jamb too easy jhorrrrr
You obviously didn't notice the sarcasm

1 Like

Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by Nobody: 10:05am On Sep 01, 2014
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by XketchDesigns(m): 10:10am On Sep 01, 2014
GRE
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by alotofgrace(m): 10:13am On Sep 01, 2014
CCIE...I will get dia

1 Like

Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by kemconnect(f): 10:17am On Sep 01, 2014
Lilimax: All these Indian's exams sef undecided
Little wonder their country is advancing in the area of Technology
Keke Marwa, Keke Napep etc on my mind .

Btw, how come no Nigeria examination met the requirementsembarassed
ICAN, UME, MBBS, ANAN, ...etc, where art thou?

Remove ANAN
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by Nobody: 11:15am On Sep 01, 2014
[size=38pt]SAT NKO?[/size]
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by EddyNumerouno(m): 11:19am On Sep 01, 2014
COREN eggams?
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by Nobody: 11:26am On Sep 01, 2014
Why is SSCE waec not there,that exam show me pepper- 8 -F9,1-D7. And I was the best student in my set.
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by McWhillion(m): 11:32am On Sep 01, 2014
Yomieluv: Why is SSCE waec not there,that exam show me pepper- 8 -F9,1-D7. And I was the best student in my set.
Abeg wetin be the name of your school?

2 Likes

Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 01, 2014
the list is not complete without ICAN...
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by Lilimax(f): 11:46am On Sep 01, 2014
kemconnect:

Remove ANAN
What happened to ANAN?
Is it not an exam... although I'm not an accountant . Want to know please wink
But I thought they're the younger brother of ICAN embarassedsmiley
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 01, 2014
McWhillion:
Abeg wetin be the name of your school?
**haha eputumeta development grammar school
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by Bryan12(m): 11:56am On Sep 01, 2014
MCE-Microsoft Certified Engineer. That exam nobi beans
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by MoyoGENERAL: 11:59am On Sep 01, 2014
that All Souls College Examination Fellowship exam go make brain die!!!!!
imagine questions like " did
the left or the right win the twentieth century?” ....... “Is gardening art?” ....
na we ooooo....
imagine if questions like that were allowed in our common exams.......
orisi risi
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by priscaoge(f): 12:04pm On Sep 01, 2014
So Nigeria is still a Learner in terms of Exam abi?cheesycheesycheesy

Interesting!
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by Nobody: 12:04pm On Sep 01, 2014
Yomieluv: Why is SSCE waec not there,that exam show me pepper- 8 -F9,1-D7. And I was the best student in my set.
chai ur skul deserves recongnition

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by blueheart(m): 12:10pm On Sep 01, 2014
These exams are beyond challenging oo, the chinese test na gbege. Brains over brawn unlike my country
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by Raypawer(m): 12:12pm On Sep 01, 2014
JAMB nko?
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by Joy83(m): 12:13pm On Sep 01, 2014
GRE... It can be deceitful with their experimental question which you can't predict
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by Psalmpy(m): 12:30pm On Sep 01, 2014
All dis uknown exams..... infact na ppt dem still dey uae for india...... i think dibu is needed in their board of exams
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by datbay(m): 12:43pm On Sep 01, 2014
purplesummer: Where's the
Nigerian Bar Final Exam
The list is not yet complete.
Exactly,I guess you are also speaking from experience, just like me.

1 Like

Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by purplesummer(f): 1:07pm On Sep 01, 2014
datbay: Exactly,I guess you are also speaking from experience, just like me.
wink
Re: The 10 Toughest Exams In The World by Nobody: 1:38pm On Sep 01, 2014
KillerBeauty:
4. Gaokao

China’s National Higher Education Entrance Examination, also known as Gaokao, is the main exam sat by the country’s students who wish to go to college. The test is so important that building work is suspended, the areas around schools are cordoned off by police, and flights are diverted so as to minimize noise. The Olympic torch relay was even rerouted during the 2008 Beijing Olympics to avoid any distractions. Pressure on the high school students sitting the exam is immense and has been associated with fainting, depression and increased youth suicide rates in China. In 2012 reports even emerged of students at one school apparently getting intravenous amino acid drips to help their concentration while studying for the exam.

cool
Come try ham for naija wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ever Wondered Why You Always Wake Up Just Before You Die In Your Dreams??? / Where Are The Mathematicians? Here Is A Brain Teaser: Quantitative Reasoning / Is 'b' A Distinction ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.