Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,703 members, 7,802,092 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:59 AM

The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria (39925 Views)

Amosun Offers Automatic Employment To 12 First Class Graduates / Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... / Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by SamSara01: 10:27am On Sep 01, 2014
Friday 5th of September will make it exactly 3 months I passed out of service. I'm a 1st class holder and the best graduating student of my department and faculty in a reputable public university in the south-west but I'm currently unemployed. Of course, my cause of worry does not major on being currently unemployed, but majors on how the hope of getting a job soon seems so deem. More worrying is how professionals, lecturers, friends, family and everyone else alike kept and keep singing to my hear how so easy it will be for people like me to secure not just a job but a very good job. As it is, I don't seem better off than someone who spent every single night at a night club while I was burying my head in books during my school days. How do I motivate an aspiring student who thinks what I'm carrying is the gateway to success? If this has been the tale of people like me, then 1st class honour has truly been over-hyped in Nigeria.

53 Likes 20 Shares

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by okooloyun1(m): 10:37am On Sep 01, 2014
Op so na today u know how d thing dey go for 9ja.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Emasel(m): 10:42am On Sep 01, 2014
Ojobojo1: U sure say na first u get, u can't even spell properly or compose a small writeup well, hw u wan take get work with all ur grammatical errors

Read his tone,he is angry!

what do you expect from an angry man?to type grammatically correct sentences? I don't think that will be possible

123 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Giannakopoulos(f): 11:06am On Sep 01, 2014
SamSara01: Friday 5th of September will make it exactly 3 months I passed out of service. I'm a 1st class holder and the best graduating student of my department and faculty in a reputable public university in the south-west but I'm currently unemployed. Of course, my cause of worry does not major on being currently unemployed, but majors on how the hope of getting a job soon seems so deem. More worrying is how professionals, lecturers, friends, family and everyone else alike kept and keep singing to my hear how so easy it will be for people like me to secure not just a job but a very good job. As it is, I don't seem better off than someone who spent every single night at a night club while I was burying my head in books during my school days. How do I motivate an aspiring student who thinks what I'm carrying is the gateway to success? If this has been the tale of people like me, then 1st class honour has truly been over-hyped in Nigeria.
Don't worry,if you made the 1.1 by yourself,apply for jobs,you'll surely get an invite,when you get there,write the test & pass convincingly,it doesn't end at the University,you must prove it before getting a job.

96 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Atk1nson(m): 11:23am On Sep 01, 2014

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Atk1nson(m): 11:28am On Sep 01, 2014
SamSara01: Friday 5th of September will make it exactly 3 months I passed out of service. I'm a 1st class holder and the best graduating student of my department and faculty in a reputable public university in the south-west but I'm currently unemployed.
if u can truly 'defend' ur grade n u r proactively seeking employment opportunities, getting a job should be fairly easier for u. Being a first class graduate gives u d right to be heard first in many interviews and companies nt even recruiting may call u for an interview once dey know u r a first class graduate. I tink u need to market urself more

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:34am On Sep 01, 2014
Ojobojo1: U sure say na first u get, u can't even spell properly or compose a small writeup well, hw u wan take get work with all ur grammatical errors

And this your post is supposed to be better?
grin grin
Funny Nigerians

BACK TO THE TOPIC
It takes smartness to Land the Big Jobs. Op, you first of all need to drop the "It should,be easy" thought and take the bull by the horn.
Get rugged and ruthless... Landing the Dream job is an Art in itself. You have to learn that Art, you need to master it!

38 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Rich4god(m): 12:19pm On Sep 01, 2014
Your own na only three month... My dear, its the reality grduates face in Nigeria and not just first class. There are too many graduates chasing just a few jobs. But I believe, if you can defend you cert and you are really smart, getting a job in an international/multinational firm wont be difficult as they pick the best and qualified candidates. If you ahev anything you can do now, start it... No matter how little pending when the main job will come. Its peeps that made 2:2 that should be complaining as they are not given the chance to apply for all these big coy...

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Gorimakpa(m): 1:15pm On Sep 01, 2014
My dear you are still in a relatively good situation. You have been in the labour market for only three months, which I do not consider long enough to provoke angst or despondency......

As incredible as it sounds, I intentionally did not make 1st Class because I already knew the implications in a country like Nigeria. It puts too much pressure on you and makes it more humiliating when things don't go your way after graduation. I easily made a 'strong 2.1' even with more than enough social life and extra-curricular activities. In spite of my 2.1, I have not been able to secure the sort of job I have always wanted, and I do not think it would have been any different if I made a 1st Class; probably would have been more humiliating and difficult to bear. Countless times I've done well in aptitude tests and interviews, only to later find out that some barely-literate dolts (with due respect) who can hardly string a decent sentence in English got the jobs through their connections and other back-door means. Sometimes when you interact with the characters that get employed in these great establishments (NCC, NNPC, NERC, Nigerian Breweries, etc), feelings of humiliation and sadness overwhelm you because you know that under normal and fair conditions, they are no match for you.

I happen to have a high standard in terms of employment, with a preference for government MDAs or multinational companies. All the small one-man company jobs or bank/marketing jobs that I have come across are just not my kind of thing, so for some time now I have opted for self-employment - earning a decent living by providing niche services with my own knowledge and skills. The income is not bad at all; certainly better than most of these small companies and even banks can pay entry level employees, with plenty freedom and flexibility for that matter. Sometimes I earn up to N100k for a week's work; other times I earn much less or nothing at all during dry spells, but it's all good. I am still looking out for my dream jobs - especially federal government jobs. Unfortunately, class of degree or even competence are rarely considered for these kinds of jobs. You can be a dullard with a pass degree for all they care, as long as you can get one senator or traditional ruler to intervene on your behalf, you will get the job. It's really sad, but there has to be a way somehow, one day.

138 Likes 22 Shares

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by PheezyLee(m): 1:20pm On Sep 01, 2014
btw, are u aware that d FG scholarship for 1st class holders is on atm? u can google 4mre info

2 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:33pm On Sep 01, 2014
Just Three months? Pls don't sweat it bro...The first class thingy is just for personal pride or maybe to impress on your children in future, it has nothing to do with getting a good job...Many first class are without good jobs for more than 2 years and ppl with even 2.2 have good jobs, some resort to to taking a GA job in the University. It's not by your power, TIME and CHANCE answers all botherin problems..Just keep cool, your job will come in due time with God by ur side and it will be massive. Thanks.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by hok4u(f): 2:06pm On Sep 01, 2014
@OP I think you should go for your post graduate study(if you can afford it) pending the time your dream job will surface.

3 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:12pm On Sep 01, 2014
SamSara01: Friday 5th of September will make it exactly 3 months I passed out of service. I'm a 1st class holder and the best graduating student of my department and faculty in a reputable public university in the south-west but I'm currently unemployed. Of course, my cause of worry does not major on being currently unemployed, but majors on how the hope of getting a job soon seems so deem. More worrying is how professionals, lecturers, friends, family and everyone else alike kept and keep singing to my hear how so easy it will be for people like me to secure not just a job but a very good job. As it is, I don't seem better off than someone who spent every single night at a night club while I was burying my head in books during my school days. How do I motivate an aspiring student who thinks what I'm carrying is the gateway to success? If this has been the tale of people like me, then 1st class honour has truly been over-hyped in Nigeria.

The class of grade u had is good but not the ultimate. The saying is, 'never believe that you've arrived'. If I may ask you now, what self-development process are you into now. That matters a lot. Moreso, the school studies is quite different from studies required to pass aptitude like GMAT which is common in the bankng sector, except if you're a science graduate. Also, you should check your CV because that is the document that will speak for you before you're given the opportunity to come write test or attend interview. And the most important thing is that you should not expect that Job with the big-pay at first. Although you could be lucky to get one. But start with something that can add value to your CV if you are able to get one even if its in a small organization, so far it relates to your career path. The reason for this is that, when that job with big pay comes, it might requires certain experience which you would have gathered from that small organization where you're receiving small pay. So don't let the first class get to your head and believe you will only take up an employment only if the pay is very good.

That's my own opinion though, and its subjective.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by izsmike: 2:18pm On Sep 01, 2014
to whom first class is given, entrepreneurship is expected......................... create jobs jor

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by oladayo042: 2:44pm On Sep 01, 2014
Emasel:

Read his tone,he is angry!

what do you expect from an angry man?to type grammatically correct sentences? I don't think that will be possible
Is anger supposed to make someone write badly?

I know that anger can make you commit blunders or even stammer when speaking but not when writing. Writing affords you the opportunity to correct yourself, an opportunity that speaking obviously lacks.

17 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by samexlafaze: 2:58pm On Sep 01, 2014
U wey know book correct am now...or u can keep hiding ur grammatical errors under d disguise of using pidgin

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by alex2242(m): 2:59pm On Sep 01, 2014

it also depends on d course u studied
y u nor even name d course and d university

5 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 01, 2014
hok4u: @OP I think you should go for your post graduate study(if you can afford it) pending the time your dream job will surface.
PGD study? The op is furious aidy with having a 1.1 n no job, now u asking him to opt for PGD... By the tym he finish PGD n couldn't get a job in three months, he gon commit suicide, believe me..... Except the job surfaces before finishing the program

7 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:37pm On Sep 01, 2014
i swear down!!
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Giannakopoulos(f): 4:47pm On Sep 01, 2014
polymathic: PGD study? The op is furious aidy with having a 1.1 n no job, now u asking him to opt for PGD... By the tym he finish PGD n couldn't get a job in three months, he gon commit suicide, believe me..... Except the job surfaces before finishing the program

18 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:55pm On Sep 01, 2014
Giannakopoulos: I completed PG,still queuing up with BSc holders to look for a job,but even if in the grave,Jesus Is Lord!
That's wat u get in a country like ours, I don't even bother myself 'bout PG studies, will definitely do it tho...

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Emasel(m): 4:56pm On Sep 01, 2014
Giannakopoulos: I completed PG,still queuing up with BSc holders to look for a job,but even if in the grave,Jesus Is Lord!

with ur first class? Have u tried lecturing or you are not interested.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Austindark(m): 5:02pm On Sep 01, 2014
@ op.. do u still draw breathe with ur nostrils ??
if u still do, den patience is all u need.

all iz well

6 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Giannakopoulos(f): 5:03pm On Sep 01, 2014
Emasel:

with ur first class? Have u tried lecturing or you are not interested.
2.1,Lecturing is politicized

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Emasel(m): 5:09pm On Sep 01, 2014
Giannakopoulos: 2.1 bro',lecturing is also politicized,I wish I was in the med field.

medical field is no exception.Its even worse.Getting a job as a Doctor/nurse/pharmacist/med lab scientist in a Federal or State hospital aint easy bro

3 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Giannakopoulos(f): 5:12pm On Sep 01, 2014
Emasel:

medical field is no exception.Its even worse.Getting a job as a Doctor/nurse/pharmacist/med lab scientist in a Federal or State hospital aint easy bro
I agree with you,but there are a lot of private sector jobs out there to easily grab,without GMAT or whatsoever with minimum starting pay of @least 100k,Fed/State job isn't easy.

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Emasel(m): 5:16pm On Sep 01, 2014
Giannakopoulos: I agree with you,but there are a lot of private sector jobs out there to easily grab,without GMAT or whatsoever with minimum starting pay of @least 100k,Fed/State job isn't easy.

I have friends who are doctors/pharmacists,they are all craving govt jobs because most private hospitals pay around 60k.The only advantage they have is that they can be working at two hospitals at the same time bringing their monthly take home to like 100~120k and its stressful.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Giannakopoulos(f): 5:21pm On Sep 01, 2014
Emasel:

I have friends who are doctors/pharmacists,they are all craving govt jobs because most private hospitals pay around 60k.The only advantage they have is that they can be working at two hospitals at the same time bringing their monthly take home to like 100~120k and its stressful.
But brother,it's better...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Sterling Bank is Giving 2nd Chance / What I Did Yesterday After I Lost My Last N200 During Interview / Nigeria Customs Shortlists 162,399 Candidates For Aptitude Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.