Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:46 AM

The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria (39943 Views)

Amosun Offers Automatic Employment To 12 First Class Graduates / Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... / Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by bnovative(m): 8:27pm On Sep 01, 2014
The institution that gave u 1st class should offer employment first. This is the norm anywhere.

2 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by BetaTechnicians: 8:28pm On Sep 01, 2014
Gorimakpa: My dear you are still in a relatively good situation. You have been in the labour market for only three months, which I do not consider long enough to provoke angst or despondency......

As incredible as it sounds, I intentionally did not make 1st Class because I already knew the implications in a country like Nigeria. It puts too much pressure on you and makes it more humiliating when things don't go your way after graduation. I easily made a 'strong 2.1' even with more than enough social life and extra-curricular activities. In spite of my 2.1, I have not been able to secure the sort of job I have always wanted, and I do not think it would have been any different if I made a 1st Class; probably would have been more humiliating and difficult to bear. Countless times I've done well in aptitude tests and interviews, only to later find out that some barely-literate dolts (with due respect) who can hardly string a decent sentence in English got the jobs through their connections and other back-door means. Sometimes when you interact with the characters that get employed in these great establishments (NCC, NNPC, NERC, Nigerian Breweries, etc), feelings of humiliation and sadness overwhelm you because you know that under normal and fair conditions, they are no match for you.

I happen to have a high standard in terms of employment, with a preference for government MDAs or multinational companies. All the small one-man company jobs or bank/marketing jobs that I have come across are just not my kind of thing, so for some time now I have opted for self-employment - earning a decent living by providing niche services with my own knowledge and skills. The income is not bad at all; certainly better than most of these small companies and even banks can pay entry level employees, with plenty freedom and flexibility for that matter. Sometimes I earn up to N100k for a week's work; other times I earn much less or nothing at all during dry spells, but it's all good. I am still looking out for my dream jobs - especially federal government jobs. Unfortunately, class of degree or even competence are rarely considered for these kinds of jobs. You can be a dullard with a pass degree for all they care, as long as you can get one senator or traditional ruler to intervene on your behalf, you will get the job. It's really sad, but there has to be a way somehow, one day.
5 stars.

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Seun(m): 8:29pm On Sep 01, 2014
Gorimakpa: I intentionally did not make 1st Class
That's either the most foolish thing I've ever heard or a lie. Graduating with a first class is a strong advantage that employers value. You say you have not been able to get a quality job, but has it not occurred to you that you may have gotten one if you finished with a 1st class?

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by SamSara01: 8:31pm On Sep 01, 2014
I studied Banking and Finance, I just completed a professional course and I'm now a Chartered Banker and no I'm not frustrated. The class of degree I'm carrying as just not so far lived up to the hype students, lecturers and professionals alike have given it.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by biz2get(m): 8:34pm On Sep 01, 2014
It really saddens me sad , bro all hope is not lost! i'd advise you find more ways to market your self even outside the boarders of Nigeria am sure that dream job is somewere waiting for you. dont give up yet wink
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Truckpusher(m): 8:38pm On Sep 01, 2014
SamSara01: Friday 5th of September will make it exactly 3 months I passed out of service. I'm a 1st class holder and the best graduating student of my department and faculty in a reputable public university in the south-west but I'm currently unemployed. Of course, my cause of worry does not major on being currently unemployed, but majors on how the hope of getting a job soon seems so deem. More worrying is how professionals, lecturers, friends, family and everyone else alike kept and keep singing to my hear how so easy it will be for people like me to secure not just a job but a very good job. As it is, I don't seem better off than someone who spent every single night at a night club while I was burying my head in books during my school days. How do I motivate an aspiring student who thinks what I'm carrying is the gateway to success? If this has been the tale of people like me, then 1st class honour has truly been over-hyped in Nigeria.
Three months and you are already complaining? undecided

Impatient Op grin

Go siddon for house at least for 6 months then check your first class again cheesy
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:41pm On Sep 01, 2014
Gorimakpa: Countless times I've done well in aptitude tests and interviews, only to later find out that some barely-literate dolts (with due respect) who can hardly string a decent sentence in English got the jobs through their connections and other back-door means. Sometimes when you interact with the characters that get employed in these great establishments (NCC, NNPC, NERC, Nigerian Breweries, etc), feelings of humiliation and sadness overwhelm you because you know that under normal and fair conditions, they are no match for you.

If you did very well in test and interviews, no one will deny you the job. Not all the eventual successful applicants came in through the back-door. That seems like a flimsy excuse to explain inability to pass tests or interviews to me.

How did you know you're better than them? Because of spoken English?

Are you telling me ALL of them got the job by connection.

I just don't believe that trash. I have met young guys on Nairaland here, like Nitrogen, that knows no one, but has gotten three different job offers (from reputable companies) within 1 year of completing NYSC. And he has 2.1 plus, recently, ICAN.

Only few openings are filled by connections, contrary to what people say.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Dcmg(m): 8:43pm On Sep 01, 2014
izsmike: to whom first class is given, entrepreneurship is expected......................... create jobs jor
Bravo!Bravo!Bravo!,You deserve a medal for "Comment of the Year"
Seun,do something o
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by mechanics(m): 8:44pm On Sep 01, 2014
Guy, go learn handwork o, na d way b dat o, u wil sell with ur first class, dats wat am doing but a 2.1 degree holder, and am enjoying it.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Waspy(m): 8:44pm On Sep 01, 2014
Hit the studio, make some crazy asse beats, keep repeating some poo on the beats and Viola.... You won't need to worry abt your degree no more. Welcome to the new world bro
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:44pm On Sep 01, 2014
SamSara01: I studied Banking and Finance, I just completed a professional course and I'm now a Chartered Banker and no I'm not frustrated. The class of degree I'm carrying as just not so far lived up to the hype students, lecturers and professionals alike have given it.

Look, you're impatient. Being without job for 3 months, post-NYSC, irrespective of class of degree, is not yet a cause for concern.

Can you honestly answer this simple question: Have you ever been invited for any test? Did you pass?
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by tng(f): 8:44pm On Sep 01, 2014
^^^
I agree with you. Though I know of someone who has a first class and distinction in masters and is yet to get a job. Can't really figure out what it is.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by 2leftlegs(m): 8:49pm On Sep 01, 2014
Nigerians keep saying you can't make it without. The sooo called 1st class degree but I can boldly say that in Nigeria now its a 3rd class degree holder who's throwing all the money in the air and its the 1st class degree holders that are hustling the money from the ground! Honestly this land sucks!!!!! tongue
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by ajidesola: 8:50pm On Sep 01, 2014
U wey know book correct am now...or u can keep hiding ur grammatical errors under d disguise of using pidgin
[hmmm u guys sud just admit it...]
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by olumuyiolaoluwa: 8:53pm On Sep 01, 2014
Pple de wait make u paste ur course n sch b4 dem go bigin banter u grin
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Charbless(m): 8:59pm On Sep 01, 2014
Keep applyong bro,,, A 1st class company will some to ur rescue soon. But next time try and flexx wen odas are flexxing

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by emiye(m): 8:59pm On Sep 01, 2014
@ SamSara01, take charge, in the search for job, create options for yourself like Option B: search opportunities for foreign scholarship , Option C: Entrepreneurship (setting up small scale enterprise) Option D: Volunteer jobs in NGO's e.t.c,

As much as possible, pursue all the options simultaneously.

People's heart are darkened, i wont be surprised if some of your friends and colleageus with less than 1st class will make explicit and implicit effort to rub it in you dont have a job yet, upon your first class,, please realise it is the green eyed monster popping out in them, and do NOT take their words or actions to heart.

4 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Capableben(m): 9:00pm On Sep 01, 2014
Giannakopoulos: 2.1 bro',lecturing is also politicized,I wish I was in the med field.
Bro what did u study actually
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:02pm On Sep 01, 2014
the edge that a first class gives you is not as much as what lecturers say!
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by NaMe4: 9:05pm On Sep 01, 2014
Gorimakpa: My dear you are still in a relatively good situation. You have been in the labour market for only three months, which I do not consider long enough to provoke angst or despondency......

As incredible as it sounds, I intentionally did not make 1st Class because I already knew the implications in a country like Nigeria. It puts too much pressure on you and makes it more humiliating when things don't go your way after graduation. I easily made a 'strong 2.1' even with more than enough social life and extra-curricular activities. In spite of my 2.1, I have not been able to secure the sort of job I have always wanted, and I do not think it would have been any different if I made a 1st Class; probably would have been more humiliating and difficult to bear. Countless times I've done well in aptitude tests and interviews, only to later find out that some barely-literate dolts (with due respect) who can hardly string a decent sentence in English got the jobs through their connections and other back-door means. Sometimes when you interact with the characters that get employed in these great establishments (NCC, NNPC, NERC, Nigerian Breweries, etc), feelings of humiliation and sadness overwhelm you because you know that under normal and fair conditions, they are no match for you.

I happen to have a high standard in terms of employment, with a preference for government MDAs or multinational companies. All the small one-man company jobs or bank/marketing jobs that I have come across are just not my kind of thing, so for some time now I have opted for self-employment - earning a decent living by providing niche services with my own knowledge and skills. The income is not bad at all; certainly better than most of these small companies and even banks can pay entry level employees, with plenty freedom and flexibility for that matter. Sometimes I earn up to N100k for a week's work; other times I earn much less or nothing at all during dry spells, but it's all good. I am still looking out for my dream jobs - especially federal government jobs. Unfortunately, class of degree or even competence are rarely considered for these kinds of jobs. You can be a dullard with a pass degree for all they care, as long as you can get one senator or traditional ruler to intervene on your behalf, you will get the job. It's really sad, but there has to be a way somehow, one day.

Simple truth! Applicable to every sector in the Country run by government and sadly even involves the medical/healthcare sector of all places.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Bamss1: 9:06pm On Sep 01, 2014
Dat u graduated with first class doesn't mean u will get a job d next day. u've not even spent up to three months and u ar already complaining....bros calm down abeg.

ow ar we even sure u graduated with first class

pishure of ur result or we don't bilivit.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by InvertedHammer: 9:16pm On Sep 01, 2014
/

First Class in what? Sociology? Physical Education?
What's your discipline (area of study)?

Sometimes it could be a classical case of a good product being handled by a mediocre marketing department.

Check your personality too. It "may" have a lot to do with your predicament.

\

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by chusks(m): 9:16pm On Sep 01, 2014
@op, what if I say you are lying. Just one single question you cannot reply/answer
>:
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by gistmelove(m): 9:17pm On Sep 01, 2014
Urgent Needed

Post: Online Marketer, Field marketer that can drive, Secretary

Location: Ajah/ibeju lekki Area, Abeokuta,Ibadan,Benin, Port Harcourt

Send Ur C.v to: batlanrooftile@ gmail.com
or engr.ayyub@gmail.com
Contact No: 08120819063, 08085310359

Head Office Address: Queens shopping plaza suite 11/12 km 45 Lekki Epe express way.. Opp safeway Sangotedo, Ajah, Lagos

PH Branch : 608, ikwerre road by mcc second gate bus-stop rumuigbo Port Harcourt, River State..

Abeokuta Branch: Suite 4,Shoyemu Complex, Abiola Way, Opp KAAB Petrol Station. Leme, Abeokuta Ogun state
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by NaMe4: 9:20pm On Sep 01, 2014
Emasel:

medical field is no exception.Its even worse.Getting a job as a Doctor/nurse/pharmacist/med lab scientist in a Federal or State hospital aint easy bro

Nigerians don't know! Over 60% of medics work in the private sector. Na who know who dey get jobs in the understaffed under-equipped federal health facilities.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by nhiyo(m): 9:21pm On Sep 01, 2014
Congrats on your success!!!!

The fact that you had a 1st class doesn't mean all will be rosy. Welcome to the reality of the "school of hard knocks"

There are a whole lot of opportunities for you out there. Don't just seek employment, Seek purpose and fulfilment.

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:22pm On Sep 01, 2014
SamSara01: Friday 5th of September will make it exactly 3 months I passed out of service. I'm a 1st class holder and the best graduating student of my department and faculty in a reputable public university in the south-west but I'm currently unemployed. Of course, my cause of worry does not major on being currently unemployed, but majors on how the hope of getting a job soon seems so deem. More worrying is how professionals, lecturers, friends, family and everyone else alike kept and keep singing to my hear how so easy it will be for people like me to secure not just a job but a very good job. As it is, I don't seem better off than someone who spent every single night at a night club while I was burying my head in books during my school days. How do I motivate an aspiring student who thinks what I'm carrying is the3 gateway to success? If this has been the tale of people like me, then 1st class honour has truly been over-hyped in Nigeria.
Just three months and you are complaining. No be only carry first class so why do you think yours should be diff?

1 Like

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by Dcmg(m): 9:22pm On Sep 01, 2014
2leftlegs: Nigerians keep saying you can't make it without. The sooo called 1st class degree but I can boldly say that in Nigeria now its a 3rd class degree holder who's throwing all the money in the air and its the 1st class degree holders that are hustling the money from the ground! Honestly this land sucks!!!!! tongue
No,i think The 1st class thing gives people false confidence,forgeting that thing is just a paper.
When people with 3rd class were busy huzzling and setting up businesses,knowing the 3rd class can't get them any good job..,but nowadays you will find 1st class graduates working under a mere 3rd class graduate.
You get 1st class no mean say you are free from huzzling.

6 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by vikstandon(m): 9:23pm On Sep 01, 2014
All this I too know won't land u nairalanders anywhere... U either share in his pain, proffer solution or u get ur fingers off the keys... I bet u, many of u who have criticised his writing don't even have the courage to express themselves both in writing and oral speech... CRITICs and HATERs leave nairaland.
Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by NaMe4: 9:26pm On Sep 01, 2014
Seun:
That's either the stupidest thing I've ever heard or a lie. Graduating with a first class is a strong advantage that employers value. You say you have not been able to get a quality job, but has it not occurred to you that you may have gotten one if you finished with 1st class?

Making 1st class in University is a personal choice. One may choose to relax or get involved in other activities apart from academics with the aim of still getting very good grades.

Besides, first class would not make up for experience or determine the need for further academic pursuits OR in a country like Nigeria, guarantee a government job based on merit.

For multinational and private firms and establishments, yes. But there is a limit to the number those can take in.

3 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by ogawisdom(m): 9:27pm On Sep 01, 2014
Since convenant uni started dishing out first class anyhow d value has dropped undecided try do ur masters n enter academics dts ur best bet

2 Likes

Re: The Over-hyping Of First Class Honours In Nigeria by baminasri(m): 9:28pm On Sep 01, 2014
@op, please don't regard all these suggestions of cv this and that. To be candid, THERE ARE NO JOBS!!!.... The little ones available has been saturated. Nepotism is d highest order of d day in nigeria.
My solution: for u to be a first class graduate means that u have good intellect and capacity to innovate. I am a youth corper, but fully self employed. I believe u must have undergone some training under d SAED programme during service year. Why not be self employed? Some jobs require small capital like 20k, why not try it out. Am into agriculture and am making my cool cash even while serving. Am currently writing a biz plan which will enable me obtain a loan from BOA. Don't let ur head swell because u are a first class graduate. Infact, I graduated with distinction from yabatech, top of my whole faculty. That is not a yard stick to be overconfident. So my good friend, BE SELF EMPLOYED!!!... Click like if u support joor!!!

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ecobank Graduate Trainee 2021 / Sterling Bank is Giving 2nd Chance / Nigeria Customs Shortlists 162,399 Candidates For Aptitude Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.