Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,269 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:38 AM

Role Of 21st Century African Scholars - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Role Of 21st Century African Scholars (484 Views)

Why Islamic Scholars Are Silent On Boko Haram, By Governor Kashim Shettima / Yale Young African Scholars Program Fyi / Boko Haram- 'why We Attacked Kano'. Who Are These Scholars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Role Of 21st Century African Scholars by Nobody: 1:22pm On Sep 01, 2014
Role of 21st century African scholars.

Since the time of early African scholars like Ajayi Crowther, Dede Adede, Solmon Kimbangu et cetera, the role of African shcolars have been mostly analytical in nature, without significant amount of synthetic propositions.
Its either they are busy justifying the assertions of their religion, or they are busy writing extensively on metaphysical topics just to justify the existence of "African philosophy" .

Ofcourse I did not mean that writing about ones religion is not good. In fact, writing about religion often lead to fundamental truths about man's existence and his environment. Just like the writings of Pope Jhon paul II, St Thomas Aquinas, St Gregory, St Pythagoras et cetera.
However, African approach here need serious attention.
African scholars write subjectively about their religion. Not caring about African culture, tradition, and experience, as well as not using their scholarly religion propositions to stimulate the potentials of Africa.
Unlike their Western colleagues, like St Thomas Aquinas and Saint Gregory whose religion undertakings cut across Politics, law, economics and geography.

The other type of African scholars who get involved in justifying the existence of "African philosophy" fare worse than the former.
I see no sense in wasting another generation replying the criticisms of those whose knowledge is founded upon contradictions.

In Western philosophy, there is what they called "first Cause" i.e The creator who have no creator, then they have what they called "law of existence" i.e For anything to have exist it must have a creator, this latter proposition thus discredit "First Cause" theory.
Plato and Descartes hold that things in the world are imperfect reflections of the world of form i.e What is real is in the world of ideas, while Democritus and Gilbert Ryle of Materialism school objected saying what is real is material things i.e things that we can see and touch.
Rationalists like St Augustine and the Cambridge scholars hold that "reason" alone brings knowledge, while empiricists like Immanuel Kant and Albert Camus hold that "experience" alone brings knowledge.
On the other hand, Goergias and Pyrrho maintained that in fact "nothing can be known for certain" i.e The true knowledge of anything is not possible.
Then out came Relativists saying "what I know is what I know. What you know is what you know. Thus, it is a universal knowledge that is impossible."
Worst yet, while some of them uses cosmology to justify the existence of God, some among them uses it to disprove it.

Criticism upon criticism. Claims upon counter claims. Western philosophers take pride in giving counter claims rather than to agree on a particular truth.
Why then should African scholars keep wasting their time trying to justify self evidence truths to those whose knowledge is filled with execessive abstractions and ego battle ?

In this epoch of ours, anybody who is yet to acknowledge the existence of "Abiku" , "Witch craft" , "Reincarnation", "Akuda" and "Marine spirit" is definately ignorant of his own ignorance.

The role of African scholars should therefore stop being that of apologetic, often trying to impress the White lords. We have done that for close to 300 years.

The role of 21st century African scholars should be to cultivate intersubjective consensus with a view to evolving stable governments in the continent and hopefully pave way for economic prosperity as well as buoyancy of average Africans.
Present age scholars should be more maverick and unorthodox in experimenting contemporary ideologies. They should engage synthetic propositions and pragmatic antidotes to the various African problems.

Lastly, I will borrow the famous words of Timon the Pyrrhonean sceptic which says: "That honey is sweet , I refuse to assert ; that it appears sweat, I fully grant ." Meaning that what is soothing to you may not necessarily be soothing to me. Thus, that democracy and capitalism works in other continents and countries does not mean it will definately work in every other places.

The problems of Africa can only be solved by Africans in an African way.

(1) (Reply)

Abia State Government Condemns Orji Uzor Kalu’s Unpatriotic Behaviour / Bokoharam Facts To Remember / Choose Only One.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.