Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,323 members, 7,780,803 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:38 PM

37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old (52130 Views)

After Reading This, You’ll Never Want To Throw These Silica Gel Away Again! / Read This When You’re Tired Of Everything / 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by arantess: 11:56am On Sep 03, 2014
collins123: 1. Not traveling when you had the chance.

Traveling becomes infinitely harder the older you get, especially if you have a family and need to pay the way for three-plus people instead of just yourself.

2. Not learning another language.

You’ll kick yourself when you realize you took three years of language in high school and remember none of it.

3. Staying in a bad relationship.

No one who ever gets out of a bad relationship looks back without wishing they made the move sooner.

4. Forgoing sunscreen.

Wrinkles, moles, and skin cancer can largely be avoided if you protect yourself.

5. Missing the chance to see your favorite musicians.

“Nah, dude, I’ll catch TuBaba next time they come through town.” Facepalm.

6. Being scared to do things.

Looking back you’ll think, What was I so afraid of?

7. Failing to make physical fitness a priority.

Too many of us spend the physical peak of our lives on the couch. When you hit 40, 50, 60, and beyond, you’ll dream of what you could have done.

8. Letting yourself be defined by gender roles.

Few things are as sad as an old person saying, “Well, it just wasn’t done back then.”

9. Not quitting a terrible job.

Look, you gotta pay the bills. But if you don’t make a plan to improve your situation, you might wake up one day having spent 40 years in hell.

10. Not trying harder in school.

It’s not just that your grades play a role in determining where you end up in life. Eventually you’ll realize how neat it was to get to spend all day learning, and wish you’d paid more attention.

11. Not realizing how beautiful you were.

Too many of us spend our youth unhappy with the way we look, but the reality is, that’s when we’re our most beautiful.

12. Being afraid to say “I love you.”

When you’re old, you won’t care if your love wasn’t returned — only that you made it known how you felt.

13. Not listening to your parents’ advice.

14. Spending your youth self-absorbed.

You’ll be embarrassed about it, frankly.

15. Caring too much about what other people think.

In 20 years you won’t give a damn about any of those people you once worried so much about.

16. Supporting others’ dreams over your own.

Supporting others is a beautiful thing, but not when it means you never get to shine.

17. Not moving on fast enough.

Old people look back at the long periods spent picking themselves off the ground as nothing but wasted time.

18. Holding grudges, especially with those you love.

What’s the point of re-living the anger over and over?

19. Not standing up for yourself.

Old people don’t take shit from anyone. Neither should you.

20. Not volunteering enough.

OK, so you probably won’t regret not volunteering Hunger Games style, but nearing the end of one’s life without having helped to make the world a better place is a great source of sadness for many.

21. Neglecting your teeth.

Brush. Floss. Get regular checkups. It will all seem so maddeningly easy when you have dentures.

22. Missing the chance to ask your grandparents questions before they die.

Most of us realize too late what an awesome resource grandparents are. They can explain everything you’ll ever wonder about where you came from, but only if you ask them in time.

23. Working too much.

No one looks back from their deathbed and wishes they spent more time at the office, but they do wish they spent more time with family, friends, and hobbies.

24. Not learning how to cook one awesome meal.

Knowing one drool-worthy meal will make all those dinner parties and celebrations that much more special.

25. Not stopping enough to appreciate the moment.

Young people are constantly on the go, but stopping to take it all in now and again is a good thing.

26. Failing to finish what you start.

“I had big dreams of becoming a nurse. I even signed up for the classes, but then…”

27. Never mastering one awesome party trick.

You will go to hundreds, if not thousands, of parties in your life. Wouldn’t it be cool to be the life of them all?

28. Letting yourself be defined by cultural expectations.

Don’t let them tell you, “We don’t do that.”

29. Refusing to let friendships run their course.

People grow apart. Clinging to what was, instead of acknowledging that things have changed, can be a source of ongoing agitation and sadness.

30. Not playing with your kids enough.

When you’re old, you’ll realize your kid went from wanting to play with you to wanting you out of their room in the blink of an eye.

31. Never taking a big risk (especially in love).

Knowing that you took a leap of faith at least once — even if you fell flat on your face — will be a great comfort when you’re old.

32. Not taking the time to develop contacts and network.

Networking may seem like a bunch of crap when you’re young, but later on it becomes clear that it’s how so many jobs are won.

33. Worrying too much.

As Tom Petty sang, “Most things I worry about never happen anyway.”

34. Getting caught up in needless drama.

Who needs it?

35. Not spending enough time with loved ones.

Our time with our loved ones is finite. Make it count.

36. Never performing in front of others.

This isn’t a regret for everyone, but many elderly people wish they knew — just once — what it was like to stand in front of a crowd and show off their talents.

37. Not being grateful sooner.

It can be hard to see in the beginning, but eventually it becomes clear that every moment on this earth — from the mundane to the amazing — is a gift that we’re all so incredibly lucky to share.
OP, how old are you??
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by Nobody: 11:58am On Sep 03, 2014
[quote author=Drock4christ]Me no go regret in anything.. Na happy i go happy till death!
Me too o.
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by ngmart(m): 12:30pm On Sep 03, 2014
Very Interesting
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by ngmart(m): 12:38pm On Sep 03, 2014
Highly confident people have no interest in pleasing everyone they meet. They are aware that not all people agree on things, and that’s just how life works. They focus on the quality of their relationships, instead of the quantity of them. So never let the opinions of the masses define who you are or what you can or cannot do. When you let go of the need to impress everyone, that's when you begin to be truly impressive to the few people who actually matter. When you earn the trust and respect of these select few people, no matter where you go or what you try, you will do it with confidence – because you know the people who matter are behind you.

1 Like

Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by qtx(m): 12:46pm On Sep 03, 2014
nice analysis
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by judedwriter(m): 1:08pm On Sep 03, 2014
Not making enough money; kai I must be a millionaire before I grow old grin
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by Nobody: 1:16pm On Sep 03, 2014
BioGreen:

Learn to appreciate good things my dear, even if he "stole" it; for OP to think of sharing it is worthy of appreciation/commendation

...40) Living a "hating" life

Someone copied and pasted a writeup without acknowledging the original writer and you expect us to applaud that criminal act. You must be kidding me.
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by eluquenson(m): 2:00pm On Sep 03, 2014
I don here oh
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by normac: 2:07pm On Sep 03, 2014
Where's No. 38? - Getting those tattoos

1 Like

Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by Nobody: 2:20pm On Sep 03, 2014
BioGreen:

what if he/the OP originates/authors the write-up; a product of his research/findings/observations

Bro did you read the part about sunscreen, wrinkles and cancer lol
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by Nobody: 2:21pm On Sep 03, 2014
hifaif:

Someone copied and pasted a writeup without acknowledging the original writer and you expect us to applaud that criminal act. You must be kidding me.

Lol thank you!
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by Ayo8(m): 2:30pm On Sep 03, 2014
[quote author=nmanma1]Ok na, nice 1[/quote grin
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by thomasjoe1: 2:32pm On Sep 03, 2014
38. you'll also regret BLAMING GEJ for everything without thinking personally and calling Him clueless......
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by fubbyy(m): 2:51pm On Sep 03, 2014
All these are more applicable in a woman's life than man

A man can wake up @ 50 and start doing them,not a woman
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by ceasare: 2:54pm On Sep 03, 2014
ngmart: Highly confident people have no interest in pleasing everyone they meet. They are aware that not all people agree on things, and that’s just how life works. They focus on the quality of their relationships, instead of the quantity of them. So never let the opinions of the masses define who you are or what you can or cannot do. When you let go of the need to impress everyone, that's when you begin to be truly impressive to the few people who actually matter. When you earn the trust and respect of these select few people, no matter where you go or what you try, you will do it with confidence – because you know the people who matter are behind you.

Words on marble.....
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by Anelk50(m): 2:58pm On Sep 03, 2014
Na tru talk ooo!
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by Austema(m): 3:01pm On Sep 03, 2014
Op God wil continue to bles you, all d days of ur life, now i have gained courage to face the world
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by frank043(m): 4:06pm On Sep 03, 2014
mayapop: Omg! i need to start doing some of this stuff, it's really good to know.
No go wound yourself oo
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by DikSin(m): 4:19pm On Sep 03, 2014
penquin: you are so true @op.

hmn Seun Seun Seun be very careful because

afronigeria is behind you

sikena gringringrin
Wait a second. That's not how its done; u have to pay ur way to the top, okay. Ur dirty template u called a site is so lame & wack! Get a better design, good content/layout then come back for proper advert placement.

This ur cheap propaganda won't last before u're exposed. & next time if u read the 48 Laws of Power, try apply wisdom to it; the fact that you're advised to choose a bigger enemy/competitor doesn't mean u shuld mess around here like a spoilt child. Go do ur homework, pray harder and come for adver like the owner of www​.letsgist.com/.

Just my 2kilobyte of advice to u; niggah angry
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by DikSin(m): 4:37pm On Sep 03, 2014
@ op
Ur write up is one sided. Its not true to and won't be true about everyone. The only thing I can relate with on that list is the one that has to do with meeting "your favourite musicians".

Simon Webbe is my #1 & its gonna take extral effort to meet with him cos he's not within my reach @ d moment. But will meet with him before I'm 30 wink

1 Like

Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by EugeneGee4(m): 5:08pm On Sep 03, 2014

ok ooooo till when am old then I will worry about that, for now let me enjoy my youth..
. grin[color=#000099][/color]
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by AriDsexy(f): 5:53pm On Sep 03, 2014
AirborneLacer: Jejune lists - Most of those stuffs up there doesn't matter a bit.

Why should I regret ever being in a bad relationship? There was a reason why I had to make the move then, it turned out that things didn't pan out fine as earlier envisaged, I pulled out and had my lessons learnt.
Don't mind me,I quoted you just becaue of the 1st word I read in your post...I went for an interview sometime ago and one of the word I was told to write the nearest in meaning was "Jejune" that was the first time hearing that word grin.Op,sorry for derailing.
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by fyneboi79(m): 6:03pm On Sep 03, 2014
38. not knowing the pleasure and creativity of smoking weed grin
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by Nobody: 6:15pm On Sep 03, 2014
As for the fitness,I need to engage more in basketball.No time to play it and no where cry but I like it
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by bennyzer(m): 7:22pm On Sep 03, 2014
collins123: 1. Not traveling when you had the chance.

Traveling becomes infinitely harder the older you get, especially if you have a family and need to pay the way for three-plus people instead of just yourself.

2. Not learning another language.

You’ll kick yourself when you realize you took three years of language in high school and remember none of it.

3. Staying in a bad relationship.

No one who ever gets out of a bad relationship looks back without wishing they made the move sooner.

4. Forgoing sunscreen.

Wrinkles, moles, and skin cancer can largely be avoided if you protect yourself.

5. Missing the chance to see your favorite musicians.

“Nah, dude, I’ll catch TuBaba next time they come through town.” Facepalm.

6. Being scared to do things.

Looking back you’ll think, What was I so afraid of?

7. Failing to make physical fitness a priority.

Too many of us spend the physical peak of our lives on the couch. When you hit 40, 50, 60, and beyond, you’ll dream of what you could have done.

8. Letting yourself be defined by gender roles.

Few things are as sad as an old person saying, “Well, it just wasn’t done back then.”

9. Not quitting a terrible job.

Look, you gotta pay the bills. But if you don’t make a plan to improve your situation, you might wake up one day having spent 40 years in hell.

10. Not trying harder in school.

It’s not just that your grades play a role in determining where you end up in life. Eventually you’ll realize how neat it was to get to spend all day learning, and wish you’d paid more attention.

11. Not realizing how beautiful you were.

Too many of us spend our youth unhappy with the way we look, but the reality is, that’s when we’re our most beautiful.

12. Being afraid to say “I love you.”

When you’re old, you won’t care if your love wasn’t returned — only that you made it known how you felt.

13. Not listening to your parents’ advice.

14. Spending your youth self-absorbed.

You’ll be embarrassed about it, frankly.

15. Caring too much about what other people think.

In 20 years you won’t give a damn about any of those people you once worried so much about.

16. Supporting others’ dreams over your own.

Supporting others is a beautiful thing, but not when it means you never get to shine.

17. Not moving on fast enough.

Old people look back at the long periods spent picking themselves off the ground as nothing but wasted time.

18. Holding grudges, especially with those you love.

What’s the point of re-living the anger over and over?

19. Not standing up for yourself.

Old people don’t take shit from anyone. Neither should you.

20. Not volunteering enough.

OK, so you probably won’t regret not volunteering Hunger Games style, but nearing the end of one’s life without having helped to make the world a better place is a great source of sadness for many.

21. Neglecting your teeth.

Brush. Floss. Get regular checkups. It will all seem so maddeningly easy when you have dentures.

22. Missing the chance to ask your grandparents questions before they die.

Most of us realize too late what an awesome resource grandparents are. They can explain everything you’ll ever wonder about where you came from, but only if you ask them in time.

23. Working too much.

No one looks back from their deathbed and wishes they spent more time at the office, but they do wish they spent more time with family, friends, and hobbies.

24. Not learning how to cook one awesome meal.

Knowing one drool-worthy meal will make all those dinner parties and celebrations that much more special.

25. Not stopping enough to appreciate the moment.

Young people are constantly on the go, but stopping to take it all in now and again is a good thing.

26. Failing to finish what you start.

“I had big dreams of becoming a nurse. I even signed up for the classes, but then…”

27. Never mastering one awesome party trick.

You will go to hundreds, if not thousands, of parties in your life. Wouldn’t it be cool to be the life of them all?

28. Letting yourself be defined by cultural expectations.

Don’t let them tell you, “We don’t do that.”

29. Refusing to let friendships run their course.

People grow apart. Clinging to what was, instead of acknowledging that things have changed, can be a source of ongoing agitation and sadness.

30. Not playing with your kids enough.

When you’re old, you’ll realize your kid went from wanting to play with you to wanting you out of their room in the blink of an eye.

31. Never taking a big risk (especially in love).

Knowing that you took a leap of faith at least once — even if you fell flat on your face — will be a great comfort when you’re old.

32. Not taking the time to develop contacts and network.

Networking may seem like a bunch of crap when you’re young, but later on it becomes clear that it’s how so many jobs are won.

33. Worrying too much.

As Tom Petty sang, “Most things I worry about never happen anyway.”

34. Getting caught up in needless drama.

Who needs it?

35. Not spending enough time with loved ones.

Our time with our loved ones is finite. Make it count.

36. Never performing in front of others.

This isn’t a regret for everyone, but many elderly people wish they knew — just once — what it was like to stand in front of a crowd and show off their talents.

37. Not being grateful sooner.

It can be hard to see in the beginning, but eventually it becomes clear that every moment on this earth — from the mundane to the amazing — is a gift that we’re all so incredibly lucky to share.
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by Elmgnifico(m): 7:57pm On Sep 03, 2014
Not bleeping enough, u will regret it cos bleepers are reliable to live long
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by FADEO: 11:59pm On Sep 03, 2014
Demburrows: Not. having start making money while young enough.

you make sense die...... making money young is number 1
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by Babafaros(m): 12:18am On Sep 04, 2014
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by Nobody: 12:33am On Sep 04, 2014
So true Op. Women especially need to take this seriously.
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by topas100(m): 12:34am On Sep 04, 2014
Interesting
Re: 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old by IYANGBALI: 7:01am On Sep 04, 2014
Copy and paste iranu

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Wins N100,000 For Carrying 50kg Bags Of Cement With His Teeth (Photos) / Woman Receives Selfie From Dead Grandmother (IMAGES) / Woman Poses With Huge Python And Hyena In Kaduna State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.