Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? (2182 Views)

The Evil Spirit That Corrupted Lucifer (satan's) Mind; Where Did It Come From? / Let It Come! / Tattoo On The Body Is Evil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by exu(m): 10:09pm On Sep 20, 2005
Just curious to hear what you guys think...

So, who created 'evil'?
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by nike4luv(f): 10:12pm On Sep 20, 2005
God i think..because he created devil and devil is made of evil
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by goodguy(m): 10:33pm On Sep 20, 2005
God didn't create the devil. He created Lucifer. Lucifer only became devil (on his own) after falling from heaven who therefore introduced evil into the world.
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by exu(m): 11:00pm On Sep 20, 2005
So what are you saying (goodguy)? That 'evil' existed in heaven but was only introduced to earth when when Lucifer arrived?
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by goodguy(m): 11:06pm On Sep 20, 2005
That's not what I'm saying. Well, the Bible makes us to understand that "God created everything, including good and evil" But that doesn't make God evil though. And if u are gonna ask why God created evil, I don't know! The Bible tells us in Deuteronomy that all these things are mysteries that can be understood by the creator himself!
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by queen2(f): 11:22pm On Sep 20, 2005
Hmmm, you guyz are good preachers go on, im listening   reading cheesy
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by DEWatson(m): 3:31am On Sep 21, 2005
God created it all. He had no choice.

Everything in the world has an opposite.
Life and death
love and indifference.
heat , cold
left and right.
up and down.

Everything has to have an oposing force in order to maintain a balance.
Everyone seems to believe that a world without war, hate and indifference would be paradise.
Truth be told, a world without those things would be extremely crowded and love and the like would rule everything.
Nothing else would matter. There would be no opposition to that force to balance the world.

Besides, if God didn't think we needed it , it wouldn't exist.
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by hotangel2(f): 5:26am On Sep 21, 2005
God. he is a powerful God. He created everything!
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by exu(m): 12:21pm On Sep 21, 2005
So what you are guys are saying is that an all loving, all powerful being created 'evil'/'sin' in order to maintain balance within his little experiment a.k.a earth....good stuff...
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by layi(m): 1:36pm On Sep 21, 2005
God didnt create evil.
The absence of Light is darkness. God dint have to create both
The absence of Love is hatred
The absence of Good is evil

God made lucifer and gave him a will to do. The origin of evil is actually rooted within freewill which was gift (good) from GOD .
Lucifer is an angel of light. He decided to use his freewil to do otherwise. Since his decision was not in line with God's good plan. That decision became wrong/evil.
Truth is evrything opposing God is evil.

Somethin good could also be evil depending on its purpose.
U could give money out to heal - good
U could also give it out to kill - evil

Bottom line. Its the opposition to or deviation from good that makes things evil. And this is rooted within "frewill".
God didnt create evil.

1 Like

Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by goodguy(m): 6:57pm On Sep 21, 2005
Evil has always existed. The knowledge of it only came when EVE ate the forbidden fruit!
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by cushman(m): 7:12pm On Sep 21, 2005
goodguy:

Evil has always existed. The knowledge of it only came when EVE ate the forbidden fruit!

Yes... the forbidden fruit (apple). Who made Adam to eat it?
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by goodguy(m): 7:22pm On Sep 21, 2005
Eve of course! cheesy
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by cushman(m): 7:25pm On Sep 21, 2005
yes...Eve! grin
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by Danfo(m): 12:58am On Sep 22, 2005
In the Book of Isaiah Chapter 45 verse 8 7 GOD says:

"I form the light, and create darkness:I make peace, and create evil:I the LORD do all these things"
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by goodguy(m): 12:11pm On Sep 22, 2005
I have been trying to bring that text out. I just didnt know the exact chapter and verse but I knew it was in Isaiah. Thanks Danfo smiley
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by rashman(m): 6:47pm On Sep 22, 2005
Evil can be traced with the devil being the part and parsel of it.
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by sheif: 4:22pm On Sep 25, 2005
Well I think anything that goes against God's will is sin. All the good that is in this world comes from God. Therefore evil, which comes as a result of sin, is as a result of a disengagement from God. God created us with free will; we can choose to go against his will which leads to sin, which leads to evil. So in essence I agree with Layi.
I checked Isaiah 45:7 in my Bible. It says: I am the one who sends good times and bad times. This seems a little clearer to me than the other version.
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by salako: 9:51pm On Sep 25, 2005
First of all Evil is just a word that describes something. It could have been 'Ciao'

Evil cannot be created, it is an act. The act of putting ones self before others.

If everyone was selfless then their would be little or no suffering. Thus there would be no need to screw people out of 'their' resources to have a better quality of life.

Unfortunately 'evil' acts are perpetual, unlike selfless or good acts.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?! grin
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by Rhema123: 1:49am On Dec 06, 2005
Hello all,
Lucifer and Satan are not the same person.
No where in the bible does it say that Lucifer and Satan are the same.
Lucifer is only mentioned once in the Old Testament.
The Satan in Job 1 is submissive and enters the presence of God.
Lucifer in Isaiah is thrown down from heaven, for pride and arrogance.
Two different characteristics.
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by kismat: 12:38pm On Dec 06, 2005
This is what the quran states and i hope it answers your question:

Chapter 7

11. It is We Who created you and gave you shape; then We bade the angels bow down to Adam, and they bowed down; not so Iblis (shaitan/devil); He refused to be of those who bow down.

12. ((Allah)) said: "What prevented thee from bowing down when I commanded thee?" He said: "I am better than he: Thou didst create me from fire, and him from clay."

13. ((Allah)) said: "Get thee down from this: it is not for thee to be arrogant here: get out, for thou art of the meanest (of creatures)."

14. He said: "Give me respite till the day they are raised up."

15. ((Allah)) said: "Be thou among those who have respite."

16. He said: "Because thou hast thrown me out of the way, lo! I will lie in wait for them on thy straight way:

17. "Then will I assault them from before them and behind them, from their right and their left: Nor wilt thou find, in most of them, gratitude (for thy mercies)."

18. ((Allah)) said: "Get out from this, disgraced and expelled. If any of them follow thee,- Hell will I fill with you all.

19. "O Adam! dwell thou and thy wife in the Garden, and enjoy (its good things) as ye wish: but approach not this tree, or ye run into harm and transgression."

20. Then began Satan to whisper suggestions to them, bringing openly before their minds all their shame that was hidden from them (before): he said: "Your Lord only forbade you this tree, lest ye should become angels or such beings as live for ever."

21. And he swore to them both, that he was their sincere adviser.

22. So by deceit he brought about their fall: when they tasted of the tree, their shame became manifest to them, and they began to sew together the leaves of the garden over their bodies. And their Lord called unto them: "Did I not forbid you that tree, and tell you that Satan was an avowed enemy unto you?"

23. They said: "Our Lord! We have wronged our own souls: If thou forgive us not and bestow not upon us Thy Mercy, we shall certainly be lost."

24. ((Allah)) said: "Get ye down. With enmity between yourselves. On earth will be your dwelling-place and your means of livelihood,- for a time."

25. He said: "Therein shall ye live, and therein shall ye die; but from it shall ye be taken out (at last)."

26. O ye Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover your shame, as well as to be an adornment to you. But the raiment of righteousness,- that is the best. Such are among the Signs of Allah, that they may receive admonition!

27. O ye Children of Adam! Let not Satan seduce you, in the same manner as He got your parents out of the Garden, stripping them of their raiment, to expose their shame: for he and his tribe watch you from a position where ye cannot see them: We made the evil ones friends (only) to those without faith.
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by prettyH(f): 2:28pm On Dec 06, 2005
@ rhema, do lucifer and satan have the same xteristics or not?
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by exu(m): 4:16pm On Dec 06, 2005
lucifer and satan aren't the same??

wow, i guess there's more confusion about christian doctrine than i thought...
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by goodguy(m): 7:57pm On Dec 06, 2005
Satan/Devil was the name given to Lucifer after he fell from heaven. It helps reveal his malicious intent. God actually calls things what they are.

Satan is a Hebrew noun which means "adversary" - the enemy, opponent, antagonist, foe. The verb forms of the noun mean to "accuse", "slander" and "be an adversary".

Devil is translated from the Greek word "diabolos", the root from which we get such words as "diabolic" and "diabolical" used to describe something wicked or sinister. Diabolos means "an accuser" or a "slanderer".

I hope this explains it.
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by theffanyi(m): 11:00am On Sep 11, 2007
EVIL CAME FROM GOD WHO CREATED ALL cry

Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by dreamnaira(m): 10:58pm On Sep 12, 2007
poster
      look for this book 'THE GREAT CONTROVERSY'
Therein i think you wll get a satisfactory answer to this question.
You are not the only person to ask that question even to many that professed christianity ask  the same question.
But i would like you to read that book i  mentioned above it has answer to that question and many other questions which you may still want to ask.

Let me in diagrammatic reasoning draw the origin of  'EVIL,' HOW, WHO and its origin;

'Evil'
                                                         \
                                                         Pride [lucifer]
                                                            /
                      {Isa14;12-17, Rev12:7}Envy {lucifer envied christ}
                                                             \
                                                            Jealousy [want to be worshipped like God]
                                                                    /
                                                            Rebellion [against the authority of heaven]

watch yourself whether your satan's disciple when your rebelling against your maker.
Re: What is 'Evil' and Where Did It Come From? by prinzfavian(m): 9:00am On May 07, 2017
BrB.

(1) (Reply)

Where Is Heaven? / Creation Is True: Bible Is True: Evolution Is False: Islam Is False. / Atheists And Their Addiction To Trolling Christian Topics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.