Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:34 AM

Should Nairaland Be By Invitation/application Only? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Should Nairaland Be By Invitation/application Only? (1408 Views)

Opinion: Should Nairaland Reward Its Members? / Should Nairaland Make Use Of Partisan Moderators? / Should Nairaland Be Broken Into Senior And Junior Chambers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Nairaland Be By Invitation/application Only? by gigitte(f): 6:26am On Jul 26, 2006
hi all
we've got a lot of people who register but don't ever say anything.

i think that nairaland should be made an invitation only affair like gmail
and its kind of deceptive to say nairaland has so and so members when only a fraction is contributing
if nairaland is by invitation only, we can invite people who we think will appreciate seun's work, learn from it and most importantly contribute and tell others what a great place Nairaland is. furthermore, these people will be able to deal with seun's idiosyncrasies.

furthermore, it will be kind of exclusive, driving its price up. you know, demand exceeding supply and that sort of thing. this way seun has a better grip of who's who and can perhaps take nairaland in exciting directions with that.

obviously for the many guests we have, they can email seun or contact him in some way and they get a trial run of nairaland and decide if they want to stay

comments?
Re: Should Nairaland Be By Invitation/application Only? by Badman888(m): 9:12pm On Jul 29, 2006
I dont think "you - know - who", would want it to be by invitation only, he would be proud enough to see 30 something thousand members than only 1000 in memberlist.

1 Like

Re: Should Nairaland Be By Invitation/application Only? by eveseh(f): 9:24pm On Jul 29, 2006
dont know
Re: Should Nairaland Be By Invitation/application Only? by gigitte(f): 6:36am On Jul 31, 2006
it might turn out to be a good thin u know
Re: Should Nairaland Be By Invitation/application Only? by Eurphoria(f): 10:46am On Aug 03, 2006
gigette

you have alot of time on your hands
Re: Should Nairaland Be By Invitation/application Only? by Remmzy(m): 7:28pm On Aug 10, 2006
not now may be after the anniversary, maybe! grin
Re: Should Nairaland Be By Invitation/application Only? by gigitte(f): 4:37am On Aug 11, 2006
@ euphoria
actually i dont.
do you?
Re: Should Nairaland Be By Invitation/application Only? by Oracle(m): 7:23pm On Aug 14, 2006
Gigette,
i believe you weren't invited before you registered with this forum, why would you want someone else to be invited before he/she can enjoy the nairaland fun.
i think itz just ok the way it is. there may be people who don't post anything on the forum thatz true but some people just aren't good at contributing but they prefer to read other people's contributions.
I know someone who registered and all she does is read other people's posts and she really finds it interesting.

now if she was told she had to be invited before she could read people's contributions she'd probably look for some other site where she can keep herself busy.
If you don't know nairaland is an informative site both to readers and posters.
personally i don't really open any newspaper page but people wonder how i know about the news
thanx to nairaland.
I first heard of Funsho williams murder and Okonjo Iweala's resignation on nairaland ( believe it or not)
so i think the forum is cool just the way it is.
Re: Should Nairaland Be By Invitation/application Only? by bluenubian(f): 7:29pm On Aug 14, 2006
bet thing would be to make their accout inactive if they done contibute after a certain time, like a month or so.
Re: Should Nairaland Be By Invitation/application Only? by Oracle(m): 8:07pm On Aug 14, 2006
Bluenubian,
I don't think that would be fair coz some people might have to leave once in a while.
i don't think itz deliberate that people don't wanna posts sometimes
like there was a time i didn't visit nairaland for three months, itz not like i wanted to but i traveled and couldnt check the site there.
how do you think i woulda felt if i came back and couldn't log in coz i've been away for too long .
i definitely wouldn't feel good and thatz just how others would feel if it happened to them
Re: Should Nairaland Be By Invitation/application Only? by bluenubian(f): 8:12pm On Aug 14, 2006
when i made my previous comment, i wasnt refering to member that were ver active at some point. It shud only apply to those that register and never become active, they can always re-register, i think this would actually encourage them to be more active
Re: Should Nairaland Be By Invitation/application Only? by gigitte(f): 10:27am On Aug 15, 2006
@oracle, gigitte is not that hard to spell

moving on, my intent is not malicious but u raised a few salient points. i myself am on here a lot, but i dont post a lot and nairaland is very informative, i agree. i'm sure seun has a way of knowing who comes and doesnt post. but ppl who register and never post or never come back are painting a false pic of nairaland, better that 'the church be small and holy'. IMO,sha

also, i didnt say guests were not welcome. registering is primarily to post and view other ppl's profiles. i never said guests had to be invited to view nairaland's content, please consider the first post carefully. what me i dont get is when ppl register and dont post, dont read nothing. it gives nairaland bogus membership and that doesnt sit well with me. maybe it does with u and seun.

another reason why i suggested this is because a lot of ppl join and then they cant deal with seun and they start badmouthing him on the net. even tho bad publicity is still publicity and it makes Nl fun, i was just thinking tht perhaps it might be better if there were trial runs first. i mean i have my ish with the site, but pros far outway the cons

and also change is progress, i dont know where seun wants to go with nairaland but this is just one direction. i was only suggesting that there are things that could be done with nairaland if it were by invitation only. the process is not even long. you read, you want to join, seuns email addy is at the bottom and he moderates everyday so he'll give u a trial run lasting however long you want or maybe however long he decides is good enough. a password is not required to view content

hope you understand now
gigitte
Re: Should Nairaland Be By Invitation/application Only? by Oracle(m): 5:42am On Sep 07, 2006
Sorry for misspelling your name, i couldn't even pronounce it.
well i think i see point in what you're saying but Seun is the right man for the job.

(1) (Reply)

Which Is The Fastest Growing Social Networking Site In Nigeria / Contacting The Admin / Wireless Access Points And Omni Antena For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.