Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,055 members, 7,807,169 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:38 AM

He Speaks Well But: - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / He Speaks Well But: (2152 Views)

When A Guy Speaks Big English! / Girl Who Got Blasted For Posting Pics Of A Married Man Online Finally Speaks Out / ‘I Receive 100 Suitors A Day': Woman With Most Body Hair In Nigeria Speaks Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

He Speaks Well But: by stephanay(m): 8:39am On Oct 28, 2008
how can i correct my fiance's grammar blunders?
he speaks well but he makes some embasssing blunders and i dont like dem
i wish to help him but i dont want him to take offence
Re: He Speaks Well But: by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 28, 2008
stephanay:

i wish to help him but i don't want him to take offence
if you do it in a polite manner, I don't think he will
be offended
Re: He Speaks Well But: by Tonyet1(m): 11:38am On Oct 28, 2008
stephanay:

he makes some embasssing blunders

my sister no one is perfect!, even u make mistakes, not embasssing but rather embarrassing!

1 Like

Re: He Speaks Well But: by Busybody2(f): 11:48am On Oct 28, 2008
Invest in dictionaries, thesaurus, novels etc

Ask him to help you with crosswords, word games, scrabble,not two letter words finding meaning of words, etc

Encourage him to speak English at all times, by constantly speaking it.

etcetera, etcetera, etcetera
Re: He Speaks Well But: by Gamine(f): 12:02pm On Oct 28, 2008
LOL.

See Pot calling Cup Black

Re: He Speaks Well But: by Busybody2(f): 12:23pm On Oct 28, 2008
Gamine:

LOL.

See Pot calling Cup Black

Ouch grin grin grin

Gamine, now that's not nice angry angry angry
Re: He Speaks Well But: by stephanay(m): 12:32pm On Oct 28, 2008
grin

now obviously, that was a typo

c'mon, stop picking on me, suggest ways i can correct my man grin
Re: He Speaks Well But: by arramyjay: 12:34pm On Oct 28, 2008
you can jokingly correct him.
Re: He Speaks Well But: by kokoye(m): 1:04pm On Oct 28, 2008
You can try to take him outta the bush but you might not be able to take the busu out of him. grin

especially when he's that old and set in his ways.

good luck though.
Re: He Speaks Well But: by Gamine(f): 1:13pm On Oct 28, 2008
grin

i guess he dosnt speak "well" aferall. cheesy

yeah, correct him in a fun way.
Re: He Speaks Well But: by minute(f): 1:25pm On Oct 28, 2008
Blah . . . . . .I also have the same problem. undecided undecided undecided

Just ask him how he would want to be corrected.

He knows hes just learning so it shoudnt embarr-

ass him or make him feel stupid for you to want to

help him.I suggest that you not correct him in front

of other people, but when you are alone with him,

tell him what would have been the correct thing to say.
Re: He Speaks Well But: by Orikinla(m): 1:37pm On Oct 28, 2008
Buy him a copy of English Without Tears or another book on English grammar and give it to him.
Re: He Speaks Well But: by Nautillus(m): 1:56pm On Oct 28, 2008
@poster
Just take it slow with him and you guyz should practise together . . .you really don't sound colloquially sound yourself
Re: He Speaks Well But: by StephenP(m): 1:59pm On Oct 28, 2008
I don't get it. He speaks well but he makes mistakes. . . isn't that contradictory?
Re: He Speaks Well But: by MissyB1(m): 2:08pm On Oct 28, 2008
tonye-t:

even u make mistakes, not embasssing but rather embarrassing!
Good to know someone else noticed.Lmao!!
I'm sure the dude is on Naijaland posting same topic 'bout his gurl. cheesy  grin  cheesy
tonye-t:

my sister no one is perfect!, even u make mistakes,[/b]!
Yea . . .
Even the best needle isn't sharp at both end.
Poster,learn from that. smiley
Re: He Speaks Well But: by Pennywise(m): 2:25pm On Oct 28, 2008
You and your beau seem to operate at different frequencies.This relationship is for short term convenience only. Serious issues will arise in the long term. Enjoy it and then move on.
Re: He Speaks Well But: by Bgal(f): 3:13pm On Oct 28, 2008
I'm going with jokingly correct him idea. Hope he'll take it well though
Re: He Speaks Well But: by whitelexi(m): 3:17pm On Oct 28, 2008
Still trying to picture that line: he speaks well sha
Re: He Speaks Well But: by clemcykul(f): 3:51pm On Oct 28, 2008
enrol him in any english tutorial

bet dat will help somehow
Re: He Speaks Well But: by Nobody: 9:08pm On Oct 28, 2008
Just jokingly tell him anytime you feel he's wrong. If he shows his disapproval, stop it and live with it!!!!
Re: He Speaks Well But: by cheyi(m): 10:40pm On Oct 28, 2008
correct him with a slap, :odo it jokingly but not in d public.dnt mk it a serious tin to him or may take it up against u.u can repeat wt he said earlier and do d correction to mak ur own sentence.he ll learn frm there, gd lk girl
Re: He Speaks Well But: by igwe11(m): 11:04pm On Oct 28, 2008
cheyi:

correct him with a slap,
lol  grin grin grin the most stupid advice ever heard!!!.

@poster

you are lucky to be the one to correct your man's grammar if it was in the other way round , grin grin it won't be easy oooh.at least he has sthing to admire in you. grin grin
Re: He Speaks Well But: by BabyJinx: 11:19pm On Oct 28, 2008
Whenever he makes his blunder, laugh out loud, then lovingly stroke his cheek and say "Oh Honey, I love the way you make me laugh by purposely making these blunders. Like now, instead of saying he went you said he wented" end it by kissing him on the lips. On the other hand. . .  if he is Nigerian, he might start using that as fronting  "Yes baby I is do it on purposefully to making you laughter"

Hmmm. . . not good!

A'ight just start correcting him like you would a child. . . "Went, Sweetie. . . Went not Wented"
Re: He Speaks Well But: by MissyB1(m): 11:26pm On Oct 28, 2008
Baby Jinx:

Whenever he makes his blunder, laugh out loud, then lovingly stroke his cheek and say "Oh Honey, I love the way you make me laugh by purposely making these blunders. Like now, instead of saying he went you said he wented" end it by kissing him on the lips. On the other hand. . .  if he is Nigerian, he might start using that as fronting  "Yes baby I is do it on purposefully to making you laughter"

Hmmm. . . not good!

A'ight just start correcting him like you would a child. . . "Went, Sweetie. . . Went not Wented"
Rotflmfao!! Very funny.
You seem to have a good knowledge 'bout Naija men.
Most of 'em will front with it.Ewwwwwwwww!!
A nice advice you gave . . . hope it works for her.
Re: He Speaks Well But: by Nobody: 11:27pm On Oct 28, 2008
Baby Jinx:

Whenever he makes his blunder, laugh out loud, then lovingly stroke his cheek and say "Oh Honey, I love the way you make me laugh by purposely making these blunders. Like now, instead of saying he went you said he wented" end it by kissing him on the lips. On the other hand. . . if he is Nigerian, he might start using that as fronting "Yes baby I is do it on purposefully to making you laughter"

Hmmm. . . not good!

LMAO cheesy
Re: He Speaks Well But: by Nobody: 10:05am On Oct 29, 2008
@ Poster

I advise you to accept him wholeheartedly first, for who he is. Grammatical blunders and all. Nobody's perfect and its difficult to teach an old dog new tricks.

You can make efforts by giving him novels to read, making him watch movies with you and all that. But dont forget that people tend to be on the defensive when you point out their 'failures' to them, except when the volunteer to change.

You can joke about his errors and tease him about some mistakes, but get used to it and accept the fact that you might have to deal with it for the rest of your life.
Re: He Speaks Well But: by blokoncept(m): 10:24am On Oct 29, 2008
everyone of us was creatd with VACUM CALLED WEAKNESS,th/4 stop capitalizing on his weaknss but find a way to support and improve on his weaknes.
NO ONE IS PERFECT
maybe i should advise you to listen to my motivational cd .
call me i will get across to you

for more details:
www.focusmindset..com
Re: He Speaks Well But: by spikedcylinder: 11:02am On Oct 29, 2008
Wait, let me get this. He speaks well but he makes blunders? Whats the ratio of speaking well to making blunders?
Re: He Speaks Well But: by iice(f): 6:15pm On Nov 02, 2008
rofl grin
Re: He Speaks Well But: by tamai(f): 2:01pm On Nov 05, 2008
Well i guess he doesn't speak well then.I hp the guy ain't arrogant,cos if he is,your correcting
him will cause problems.Lovingly talk to him about it,ie, make him know that its for his good and
not because he embarrasses you.
l
Re: He Speaks Well But: by Willyesq(f): 2:36pm On Nov 05, 2008
it is a job you must do, and believe me only you can do it well. politely call him to order each time he blunders. don't leave it for a letter date. lets your correction be spontaneous, motherly and wifely. say for example : "now my love thats wrong, put it this way" or "no baby, is better said, "

if your attitude and approach is good, believe me you will begging to gain an edge in the relationship and involuntarily but very admirably your guy will begging to see you as a necessary support he needs to succeed not only in good grammar but generally.

Note also that if you blow it, he will find your incursion the height of humiliation.you will likely break his confidence and ego and his next thought might be keeping the distance.

be cautious my dear.
Re: He Speaks Well But: by untainted: 9:05pm On Nov 05, 2008
correct him politely and with respect.
never brag about his deficiency or use it against him

(1) (2) (Reply)

She's In A Serious Relationship But I Need To Date Her For Just 3 Months / May All The Nl Babes Sleeping With Their Bosses 'stand Up' For Recognition. / Best & Affordable Gift For Your Fiance's Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.