Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,707 members, 7,802,125 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:29 AM

"What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" - Religion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" (81455 Views)

What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? / Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja / What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by mekadinho(f): 1:27pm On Oct 12, 2014
I was born and brought up in a pentecostal church, but for me, Church na church once I am concern, I can attend any church; be it Catholic oh, Anglican oh, methodist oh, olumba olumba, Etc... once it believes Jesus came n died and was resurrected on the 3rd day, and that Heaven is real n hell real. Shikina....!

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 1:27pm On Oct 12, 2014
samplegirl:

Is it written that we pray to Saints or any other human being? Please I am asking this because I don't know but want to know.

Thank you.
It is not specifically written to answer your question straight ahead but it is also not written that whatever is not written is wrong or is a lie. In fact in the last verse of the book of John it is stated that christ did many things which were not recorded in the bible. So say that because certain things is not in the bible then it is wrong is in fact wrong.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by MrCyril(m): 1:29pm On Oct 12, 2014
OLAADEGBU:
"My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour, for He has been mindful of the humble state of His servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me — holy is His name" (Luke 1:46-49).

This is the prayer Mary prayed. She said God my Saviour, meaning that she was a sinner saved by God. Do you see why we are not to worship her?

are u senseless or u dnt understand simple english. It has been repeated over and over on this post that we don't worship Virgin Mary but honour Her. Read and understand before spitting out rubbish
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 1:30pm On Oct 12, 2014
SailorXY:

life after death is not remotely close to life on earth. we are still dusts & bones now, the life after death is for spirits.

abi u be spirit?
I am not only spirit but flesh. I believe mary is a spirit though hence she listens to our request to pray for us and can also pray for us.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by donkripton(m): 1:33pm On Oct 12, 2014
This is super story undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 12, 2014
dabriggs:

Ichiato I have read the link. As a matter of fact I knew about that school of thought prior to this time. Trying to begin to fully give my own school of thought or opinions will be just too tiring for me. As a matter of fact I was about declaring my intention to debate on this no further. Yes more points are there to be made both from your end and maybe mine. But I think the facts stated are already substantial enough for peoples reading pleasure and information.

In human psychology, to what holds true for you and satisfies or fills the void for lack of truth is what we accept. If new questions arise, new answers will be sought. Perhaps within the principles and doctrines of what we believe, and/or perhaps without.

Let us all keep searching. To this we continually thank God that we have had this much years to live and seek his truth and work towards the way. This is so that we aren't burdened by guilt or sin and as such cannot live in the society of eternity where sin will not be welcome. A society in which the right to exist you must have earned by have striving through grace to live without sin (in this world of ours) in order to merit this new system which he promised.
Thank you very much. God bless.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Echepet(m): 1:39pm On Oct 12, 2014
Funny it may sound...the trend is educative and we all should learn from it.....proudly catholic....we don't worship Mary and God is everywhere,just for us to seek His presence.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by olin88: 1:40pm On Oct 12, 2014
OLAADEGBU:
"My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour, for He has been mindful of the humble state of His servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me — holy is His name" (Luke 1:46-49).

This is the prayer Mary prayed. She said God my Saviour, meaning that she was a sinner saved by God. Do you see why we are not to worship her?

who said dat Catholics worship Mary, we only Bt honor her pls if u don't no of any church doctrine pls don't conclude or condemn. don't judge so u shld nt b judged.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by bellisma(f): 1:40pm On Oct 12, 2014
I totally agree with the OP. I ll show my husband. Thanks. Please order your innjoo phones and get them delivered free nation wide 08171212666
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by IyfeNamikaze(m): 1:40pm On Oct 12, 2014
Octaves:
Mehn see the difference. In one case you are praying to God through Jesus. In the other case, you are asking Mary to help you pray to Jesus, his son who will not refuse her requests. Either way, you are not bypassing Jesus. So get that into your head and stop asking the same question everyday.

so you are trying to say that there are times when Christ will refuse to hear your prayers unless Mary intercedes on your behalf?

Do you really understand Christ's role in our lives?
Do you know that he elected to come and die for humanity to be saved because of the Love he has for us, and you are here making it sound as if HE is difficult to approach... thereby asking Mary to go pray on your behalf. Smh

was there ever a place in the Bible where Christ rejected an audience with any one?

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by JoinTheRace: 1:44pm On Oct 12, 2014
Are you a business man or woman, are you a musician or an artist, politicians, do you want to be famous, have fame, riches, powerful, be a member of the Illuminati and make your dream come through, this is the chance for you now to become a member of the brotherhood and be known worldwide, if you are ready to become a member and realize your dream then contact us now @ secure.illuminati000@gmail.com or visit us on our Facebook page at ILLUMINATI REIGNS. or call our hotline for more INFO +16197980204 or +2347011229441
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by chookudi(m): 1:44pm On Oct 12, 2014
Now I do not know if the point I am about to make has been made by someone else but I'll go ahead and do so anyway. For those who believe that Mary had other kids after Jesus and point to the bible verse where Jesus was informed that his brothers and sisters were looking for him, now I ask..
1. In your various native dialects, what do u call ur cousins or nephews or nieces?? Check for the hebrew/greek/aramaic translations of the word cousins/nephew/nieces/half brothers etc

2. If Jesus really had blood siblings, why then did he deem it fit to hand over Mary his mother to the care of John the apostle?

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Franky9584(m): 1:46pm On Oct 12, 2014
Anyway, evrybody has d freedom of worship/religion. I dnt blame those dat dnt undstnd. But 3things remains.
1). we NEVER worship nor adore Mary, we only give her honour as mother of our Saviour.
2). In hebrew just like in igbo language, there was not word dat wil be used 2 qualify a cousin, nephew, niece etc other dan broda or sister. Otherwise tel me d igbo meaning of "cousin".
3). If Jesus has other brodas, why then do he gave his mother 2 John wen he was abt 2die on d cross.
N.B: "FROM 2DAY HENCEFORTH, ALL GENERATIONS INCLUDING U, SHALL CALL HER BLESSED"
#proudlycatholic.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by biafran1stson(m): 1:47pm On Oct 12, 2014
On the day of judgement, God will not ask you whether you are a member of catholic, Anglican, winners chapel or assemblies of God. There is only one God , one faith and one baptism. In Christ there is no gentiles, no Jews, no slave ,no free. We are all united in faith in Christ Jesus and that is d only thing that saves. Honouring Mary or treating her without honour are all doctrines of man , and we are not justified by doctrines or laws rather we are justifed by Gods grace through faith in Jesus Christ. Let us focus on d race and forget abt dis denomination things. May God help us.

2 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Olaskybab: 1:49pm On Oct 12, 2014
nnatom:

it's to show u how shameful it is for u a christain, calling her a sinner. shame on you
u're an ignoramus....
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 1:49pm On Oct 12, 2014
catholic says Mary intercede for them and u are missing it up with mediator. yes Christ is the only mediator between God and man. but Mary intercede,i.e plead on our behalf.

dictionary meaning of mediator and intercede

To intercede is to go or come between two
parties, to plead before one of them on behalf
of the other. "Mediation"
means a standing in the midst between two
(contending) parties, for the purpose of
bringing them together.[/quote]

Ok, Catholic say or bible say Mary intercedes? Is that what your bible say? Enough of these catholic's 'unbiblicalities' I beg. Bible does not say Mary should do anything for any man, only Jesus. No assignment is given to Mary for mankind except that she gave birth to our saviour.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by chookudi(m): 1:51pm On Oct 12, 2014
It still baffles me why non-catholics or those against what Mary stands for in the Catholic church continuously prefer taking panadol for the "headache" that affects them in no way. Why not mind your own doctrines and let others practise theirs? What benefits do u get frm bashing the Catholic doctrines? Are you guys not tired? Its better if you channel your energy into something more useful simply because no amount of vile aired here will change anything..my 2cents

2 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by lafiask: 1:53pm On Oct 12, 2014
there is only one God and jesus is the mediator btw man and God, some said jesus is God, some said nooooo jesus is the son of God. so mary gave birth to God and nursed God from childhood and later became her saviour. Confusionsm
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 1:54pm On Oct 12, 2014
IyfeNamikaze:

so you are trying to say that there are times when Christ will refuse to hear your prayers unless Mary intercedes on your behalf?

Do you know that he elected to come and die for humanity to be saved because of the Love he has for us, and you are here making it sound as if HE is difficult to approach... thereby asking Mary to go pray on your behalf. Smh

was there ever a place in the Bible where Christ rejected an audience with any one?
Is there anywhere he said Chris will refuse your prayers unless mary intercedes? My friend the answer is no . You just decided to misunderstand him. You can pray to God through christ it is not wrong, as a matter of fact we Catholics do the same. But we also like to ask mary to intercede for us as we know that God and christ been one hold her in High regards just as christ demonstrated in wedding feast at cannan which happens to be his first Miracle recorded in the bible. Just like you know that God hold your pastor in high regards and you ask him to pray for you. In such a case your pastor also intercedes for you. When ever a friend is going to church and you ask him to pray for you, will he turn back and tell you that christ is the only interceder and that you should pray through him? Chai simple logic ig

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by sorom4: 1:54pm On Oct 12, 2014
The Op is high on old wine. Turning a mere understanding of the bible to soothe him
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by fridayj(m): 1:56pm On Oct 12, 2014
Der house can smone pls ans this " Can man really be perfect an sinless in all aspect?" I hv ask dis guestion but no perfect ans... i remember david a man after God's heart said "Oh lord if thou kepth all d wrong of men, who will stand.. her of nt for Grace ..........who will stand......ans d above guestion and trend close.... cheesy
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by xtremeinv(m): 1:56pm On Oct 12, 2014
nnatom:

is it possible for a dirty tank to hold a clean water and you still fetch the water out of in a clean state. I think this will I answer that question.

NNATOM YOU ARE BUSTING WHAT REMAINS OF MY BRAIN.

TWALE BABA.

THEY WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND.

CATHOLIC TILL THE WORLD IS OXYGEN-LESS!!!

3 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by yesir: 1:57pm On Oct 12, 2014
these bible verses co.confirms the children of Mary after Jesus Christ. ..Mattrew 13v55.,john 2v12. , john 7v3. , john 7v5, Acts 10v14, 1Corinthians 9v5, Galatians 1v 19.. let's argue with the bible and not wat our fore-fathers had believed in, Christian is a way if life we r expected to live which is beyond religion
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by godsveryown(f): 1:59pm On Oct 12, 2014
nnatom:

this is too lame, my bro u still have not made any clear point.

well u have made up ur mind not to honour her,my bro it's ur headache o, but for me I will honour her and be glad like Elizabeth that said in
Luke 1:39-45 New International
Version (NIV)
Mary Visits Elizabeth
At that time Mary got ready and
hurried to a town in the hill country
of Judea, where she entered
Zechariah’s home and greeted
Elizabeth. When Elizabeth heard
Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in
her womb, and Elizabeth was filled
with the Holy Spirit. In a loud
voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are
you among women, and blessed is
the child you will bear! But why
am I so favored, that the mother of
my Lord should come to me? As
soon as the sound of your greeting
reached my ears, the baby in my
womb leaped for joy. Blessed is
she who has believed that the Lord
would fulfill his promises to her!”

Note this

Elizabeth was filled
with the Holy Spirit. In a loud
voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are
you among women, and blessed is
the child you will bear! But why
am I so favored, that the mother of
my Lord should come to me?

and I say why am I so favored to love and cherish the mother of my lord. oh thank you JESUS.

and did bible ask u to include it in prayers? Where is it stated in d biblie dat rosary b used 4 praying? Did jesus not specify clearly on hw we shuld pray?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by hensben(m): 2:00pm On Oct 12, 2014
IyfeNamikaze:

why do people ask their pastor to pray on their behalf?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 12, 2014
godsveryown:
and did bible ask u to include it in prayers? Where is it stated in d biblie dat rosary b used 4 praying? Did jesus not specify clearly on hw we shuld pray?
Y do you think whatever is not in the bible is wrong?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by ramalot(m): 2:08pm On Oct 12, 2014
smiley

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by hensben(m): 2:08pm On Oct 12, 2014
just imagine churches wey dem found yesterday come dey question why catholic dey honor mary, whereas, they are already worshiping their G.Os, pastors, indirectly by placing their banners everywhere, calling them daddys, your lordship sir, et al..smh
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Werehkpe: 2:12pm On Oct 12, 2014
I wonder why ALL other Christian denominations ALWAYS "gang' up to criticize the teachings of the Catholic Church? You only talk about something when the thing is important. But for everyone to attack the Catholic Church (which is much older than redeemed, Living faith, Cora etc), then THERE MUST BE SOMETHING SPECIAL ABOUT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH.

This special thing is found in Matt 16:15-20. Where Jesus declared Peter as the corner stone He would build HIS CHURCH on. He did not mention Oritsejafor (the renowned armed smuggler), Adeboye, TB Joshua etc. He said PETER.

Further readings on this verse will tell you Jesus gave authority to Peter when He said what you bind on earth shall be considered bound in Heaven. Jesus said I WILL (Not may/no probability) give you the key to the gate of Heaven..................."

Further readings in history will tell you that Peter was the FIRST Pope of the Catholic Church and Pope Francis can trace his succession to the throne of Peter.

TRACE is VERY important. IT shows evidence and it is for this reason that Mathew's Gospel tells us the genealogy of Jesus so we may believe he was made man.

HOWEVER, whether u are Catholic, Anglican, Protestant etc, in the final analyses matters as much as the tiniest pebble on the beach. [size=20pt]WHAT MATTERS AT THE END IS YOU; AND WHETHER U BELIEVE IN HIM, KEPT HIS COMMANDMENTS AND LIVED A GOOD CHRIST-LIKE LIFE.[/size]

CI KE NA. Thats why the Bible tells u He calls us to be like Christ. He did not call us to criticise others. Remove the log........................
Beyond this is merely bullocks.

2 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 2:14pm On Oct 12, 2014
hensben:
just imagine churches wey dem found yesterday come dey question why catholic dey honor mary, whereas, they are already worshiping their G.Os, pastors, indirectly by placing their banners everywhere, calling them daddys, your lordship sir, et al..smh
He tire me oh my broder. Many will just come and be asking where is it in the bible as if it is in the bible that everything pertaining to salvation is in the bible and whatever is not in the bible is wrong.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by samplegirl(f): 2:17pm On Oct 12, 2014
Ichiato:

It is not specifically written to answer your question straight ahead but it is also not written that whatever is not written is wrong or is a lie. In fact in the last verse of the book of John it is stated that christ did many things which were not recorded in the bible. So say that because certain things is not in the bible then it is wrong is in fact wrong.

@Ichiato I must point out that you are one of few people I have met on this forum who maintain high sense of decorum. This interaction to my understanding is not for purpose of abuse or name calling or empty argument but for widening one's scope of horizon of knowledge and understanding. I have enjoyed every bit of it because I can clearly see the gentleman's approach.

Now back to the main issue as you said. Do you imply that because all that Christ did was not recorded it is then right for men to MANUFACTURE certain things, be it doctrine or anything and sell it to the congregation under the assumption that ''he may have said it, it is right, not all things were recorded. Pls could you throw more light. Thank you.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 2:17pm On Oct 12, 2014
mARY WITH FRINGE,AND STYLISH HIJAB
OLAADEGBU:
Question: "What does the Bible say about the virgin Mary?"

Answer: Mary the mother of Jesus was described by God as "highly favoured" (Luke 1:28). The phrase "highly favoured" comes from a single Greek word, which essentially means "much grace." Mary received God’s grace.

Grace is "unmerited favour," meaning something we receive despite the fact that we do not deserve it. Mary needed grace from God just as the rest of us do. Mary herself understood this fact, as she declared in Luke 1:47, “. . . and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour. . .”

Mary recognized that she needed the Saviour. The Bible never says that Mary was anyone but an ordinary human whom God chose to use in an extraordinary way. Yes, Mary was a righteous woman and favoured (graced) by God (Luke 1:27-28). At the same time, Mary was a sinful human being who needed Jesus Christ as her Saviour, just like everyone else (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 6:23; 1 John 1:8.)

Mary did not have an "immaculate conception." The Bible doesn’t suggest Mary’s birth was anything but a normal human birth. Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus (Luke 1:34-38), but the idea of the perpetual virginity of Mary is unbiblical. Matthew 1:25, speaking of Joseph, declares, "But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son. And he gave Him the name Jesus."

The word "until" clearly indicates that Joseph and Mary did have sexual union after Jesus was born. Joseph and Mary had several children together after Jesus was born. Jesus had four half-brothers: James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas (Matthew 13:55). Jesus also had half-sisters, although they are not named or numbered (Matthew 13:55-56). God blessed and graced Mary by giving her several children, which in that culture was the clearest indication of God’s blessing on a woman.

One time when Jesus was speaking, a woman in the crowd proclaimed, "Blessed is the womb that bore You and the breasts at which You nursed" (Luke 11:27). There was never a better opportunity for Jesus to declare that Mary was indeed worthy of praise and adoration. What was Jesus’ response? "On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it" (Luke 11:28). To Jesus, obedience to God’s Word was more important than being the woman who gave birth to the Saviour.

Nowhere in Scripture does Jesus, or anyone else, direct any praise, glory, or adoration towards Mary. Elizabeth, Mary’s relative, praised Mary in Luke 1:42-44, but her praise is based on the blessing of giving birth to the Messiah. It was not based on any inherent glory in Mary.

Mary was present at the cross when Jesus died (John 19:25). Mary was also with the apostles on the day of Pentecost (Acts 1:14). However, Mary is never mentioned again after Acts chapter 1. The apostles did not give Mary a prominent role. Mary’s death is not recorded in the Bible. Nothing is said about Mary ascending to heaven or having an exalted role there. As the earthly mother of Jesus, Mary should be respected, but she is not worthy of our worship or adoration.

The Bible nowhere indicates that Mary can hear our prayers or that she can mediate for us with God. Jesus is our only advocate and mediator in heaven (1 Timothy 2:5). If offered worship, adoration, or prayers, Mary would say the same as the angels: "Worship God!" (see Revelation 19:10; 22:9.) Mary herself sets the example for us, directing her worship, adoration, and praise to God alone: "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour, for He has been mindful of the humble state of His servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me — holy is His name" (Luke 1:46-49).

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/virgin-Mary.html#ixzz3CGQKef6b

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (31) (Reply)

Is It Okay For A Lady To Wear This To Church? (photos) / Fr Mbaka Transferred From His Parish In Enugu & Left Without A Parish - IgbereTv / What Is The Use Of The 7 Books Of Moses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.