Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,360 members, 7,808,251 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:25 AM

What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? (1672 Views)

Trying Times For Nigeria, Patriotic Citizens' Attitude And Responsibility / Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? / TY Danjuma: Nigeria Lacks Patriotic Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by maclatunji: 1:40am On Sep 04, 2014
Is it watching your country get overrun by non-state actors when your country's military had defeated brutal insurgents in other countries like Sierra Leone and Liberia in the past?

I for one genuinely identified the current Nigerian President to be lacking what it takes to be a leader when he immediately claimed that MEND was not responsible for the October 1, 2010 bombing without any sort of investigation whatsoever! Seriously, which responsible individual talkless of leader does this?

MEND leader, Henry Okah got convicted for this crime in South Africa thereby confirming beyond reasonable doubt President Jonathan's incompetence.

Should I then as a sane individual who has recognised my President's incompetence pretend he is performing when people get kidnapped, killed with their property destroyed on a daily basis? Even when I know that the constitution makes securing the lives and property of Nigerians the primary duty of the Federal Government headed by the President?

Would it be patriotic or treasonable to support such a leader?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by whitecat007: 1:43am On Sep 04, 2014
Well said ooo! Front page material!

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by anago900: 2:42am On Sep 04, 2014
well said, a good rejoinder to the gibberish the admin posted yesterday. shame don let the cretin delete the balderdash.

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by sammondonpoint(m): 2:51am On Sep 04, 2014
Well some eediot will still be shouting Gej till 2030

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by Nobody: 2:52am On Sep 04, 2014
In Patience's voice, GEJ till Jesus Christ comes back.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by sammondonpoint(m): 2:57am On Sep 04, 2014
ProfCorruption: In Patience's voice, GEJ till Jesus Christ comes back.

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by Nobody: 3:36am On Sep 04, 2014
Being stup1d in Nigeria is confused as being patriotic.

I see no reason where an individual would support incompetence all in the name of supporting a leader,who probably belong to his party,or tribe.

Op,you are right,you are being realistic,not some bootlickers who are diehard supporter of incompetence.

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by baba11(m): 7:59am On Sep 04, 2014
What do you expect other than incompetence when godfatherism has peameated our politics so much that even if you are the best candidate to do the job without backings,you are going nowhere..#supportscrappingfederalcharacter cool shocked sad shocked
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by Nobody: 8:02am On Sep 04, 2014
maclatunji: Is it watching your country get overrun by non-state actors when your country's military had defeated brutal insurgents in other countries like Sierra Leone and Liberia in the past?

I for one genuinely identified the current Nigerian President to be lacking what it takes to be a leader when he immediately claimed that MEND was not responsible for the October 1, 2010 bombing without any sort of investigation whatsoever! Seriously, which responsible individual talkless of leader does this?

MEND leader, Henry Okah got convicted for this crime in South Africa thereby confirming beyond reasonable doubt President Jonathan's incompetence.

Should I then as a sane individual who has recognised my President's incompetence pretend he is performing when people get kidnapped, killed with their property destroyed on a daily basis? Even when I know that the constitution makes securing the lives and property of Nigerians the primary duty of the Federal Government headed by the President?

Would it be patriotic or treasonable to support such a leader?

who effected the arrest and prosecution of Henry Okah in south africa? Why didnt you condemn Bhari when he called for amnesty against boko haram

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by Nobody: 8:03am On Sep 04, 2014
Anyway too bad for you ,this "infidel" will be your president till 2019 and there is nothing you can do about it.If you like throw bombs from baba to maiduguri,it will not change anything

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by raumdeuter: 8:09am On Sep 04, 2014
In the Nigerian sense and in the PDP way, It means supporting every daft move the clueless president makes

When he exonerated MEND for bombing on October 1, since then All right thinking countrymen knew we have a dullard as president

This is a president who told us not to panic that terrorism happens everywhere

Or tells us stealing is not corruption.

These ppl who told you to be patriotic were also patriotic when IBB annulled the freest election in Nigeria

WHen Abacha killed every opposition, he found able mouthpiece among them

When OBJ was campaigning for an illegal 3rd term they are also at the forefront

Its their mouth they are hustling for.

5 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by Jakpon: 8:30am On Sep 04, 2014
Boko haram does not exist. There is nothing like Boko Haram.
Boko Haram is a scam

GEJ till 2056
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by seanet02: 8:38am On Sep 04, 2014
Patriotism is accepting the fact that stealing is not corruption

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by nduchucks: 8:46am On Sep 04, 2014
chukwudi44:

who effected the arrest and prosecution of Henry Okah in south africa? Why didnt you condemn Bhari when he called for amnesty against boko haram

Had a well-designed amnesty program proposed by Buhari and others been implemented, we would not be talking about the current disgraceful state of the affairs in Nigeria wherein our cities are being captured, innocent Nigerians killed, displaced, and summarily executed by JTF supported by the illegal entity - the so-called civilian JTF.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by maclatunji: 2:41pm On Sep 04, 2014
raumdeuter: In the Nigerian sense and in the PDP way, It means supporting every daft move the clueless president makes

When he exonerated MEND for bombing on October 1, since then All right thinking countrymen knew we have a dullard as president

This is a president who told us not to panic that terrorism happens everywhere

Or tells us stealing is not corruption.

These ppl who told you to be patriotic were also patriotic when IBB annulled the freest election in Nigeria

WHen Abacha killed every opposition, he found able mouthpiece among them

When OBJ was campaigning for an illegal 3rd term they are also at the forefront

Its their mouth they are hustling for.

The Any Government in Power (AGIP) crew.

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by egift(m): 2:55pm On Sep 04, 2014
Today in Nigeria to be regarded as Patriotic means to Pledge absolute loyalty to Jonathan and his wife. If you do otherwise, you will be regarded as unpatriotic and called unprintable names.

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by curiouses: 11:34pm On Sep 04, 2014
I don't get. Is this thread about taking side with the president on every matter or what been patriotic is?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by Nobody: 1:48am On Sep 05, 2014
nduchucks:

Had a well-designed amnesty program proposed by Buhari and others been implemented, we would not be talking about the current disgraceful state of the affairs in Nigeria wherein our cities are being captured, innocent Nigerians killed, displaced, and summarily executed by JTF supported by the illegal entity - the so-called civilian JTF.

Amnesty for boko haram? God forbid.BTW where do you hope to get the money to finance the amnesty package? Hope you are not looking at ND oil money?

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by nduchucks: 1:55am On Sep 05, 2014
chukwudi44:

Amnesty for boko haram? God forbid.BTW where do you hope to get the money to finance the amnesty package? Hope you are not looking at ND oil money?

Our offshore funds and onshore investments would suffice.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by Nobody: 2:07am On Sep 05, 2014
Thank God some Nigerians (besides the incurable bootlickers) are reasoning with their brains as regards the word PATRIOTISM

Some people have blindly been made to believe that loyalty to all the acts and actions of the President including the downright failure-prone moves of his means being patriotic

Yet sound people know that Patriotism can only be to ones country and the constitution while we may be at liberty to give our loyalty to the President if he is performing or withdraw same if we notice he is likely leading us into the ditch

Hence we should be clear-minded to know that Jonathan's hitherto monumental failures can and will never command the patriotic leanings of any sane Nigerian except the bigots and irredentists!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by maclatunji: 6:13am On Sep 05, 2014
soroptimist: Thank God some Nigerians (besides the incurable bootlickers) are reasoning with their brains as regards the word PATRIOTISM
Some people have blindly been made to believe that loyalty to all the acts and actions of the President including the downright failure-prone moves of his means being patriotic
Yet sound people know that Patriotism can only be to ones country and the constitution while we may be at liberty to give our loyalty to the President if he is performing or withdraw same if we notice he is likely leading us into the ditch
Hence we should be clear-minded to know that Jonathan's hitherto monumental failures can and will never command the patriotic leanings of any sane Nigerian except the bigots and irredentists!

I agree.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by Nobody: 6:30am On Sep 05, 2014
Being patrotic is when a president budgets a billion naira to eat food by him and his family for one year

Being patrotic is when a president dines and wines with corrupt officials in his government and he refuses to prosecute them

Being patrotic is when a president did not believe some nigerian girls were kidnapped till after 13days

Being patrotic is when you divide nigerians across ethnic and religious lines

Being patrotic is when you create committees for every single problem in the country without a solution to the problem

Being patrotic is when Jonathan creates 8,000 organizations for his re-election bid. (Now you know what the missing $20billion was used for)

And the list continues....... angry angry

8 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by ndufrank: 6:38am On Sep 05, 2014
berem: Being patrotic is when a president budgets a billion naira to eat food by him and his family for one year

Being patrotic is when a president dines and wines with corrupt officials in his government and he refuses to prosecute them

Being patrotic is when a president did not believe some nigerian girls were kidnapped till after 13days

Being patrotic is when you divide nigerians across ethnic and religious lines

Being patrotic is when you create committees for every single problem in the country without a solution to the problem

Being patrotic is when Jonathan creates 8,000 organizations for his re-election bid. (Now you know what the missing $20billion was used for)

And the list continues....... angry angry
Otu gbawa nne gi gbawa gi gbawa umunne di gi ndi ofe uhe uhe.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by arewanationz: 6:43am On Sep 05, 2014
Yomieluv: Being stup1d in Nigeria is confused as being patriotic.

I see no reason where an individual would support incompetence all in the name of supporting a leader,who probably belong to his party,or tribe.

Op,you are right,you are being realistic,not some bootlickers who are diehard supporter of incompetence.

It is even more baffling when most of the supporters of this failed govt are poverty striken and in a pitiable living condition.

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by Nobody: 6:49am On Sep 05, 2014
nduchucks:

Our offshore funds and onshore investments would suffice.

Which offshore investment de for abokiland?

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by raumdeuter: 6:50am On Sep 05, 2014
chukwudi44:

More than the offshore investment wey dey Iboland

5 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by Nobody: 7:06am On Sep 05, 2014
A patriot (e.g, myself) is one who does not favour political party obsession.

When I argue with my friends, I always end up seeing how selfish all of them have become. If you tell them the country is in a terrible state, they will conclude that you don't love your country or that you have inferiority complex or some of them might even think you hate GEJ because you are Fulani or Yoruba or Hausa. They will be quick to ask you for OBJ or Buhari's achievements when they were in power.

I was not born when Buhari was in power but I heard that he was a man who abhorred corruption. When I told my friends this, they called me a terrorist. As for Aregbesola, I know him personally and I know how humble he is. Yet because he is not a PDP member, they think he is in fact a terrorist. Most of them don't even know that it was this man that saw to the building of the chapel in Lagos government house. Yet, I am sure if he decamps to PDP today, they would stop calling him a terrorist. So you see what I meant by political party obsession.

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by 7lives: 9:02am On Sep 05, 2014
arewanationz:

It is even more baffling when most of the supporters of this failed govt are poverty striken and in a pitiable living condition.

It is not their fault, they are hungry and a hungry man is a crazy man.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by nduchucks: 10:02am On Sep 05, 2014
chukwudi44:

Your state boundaries do not stretch offshore, even your canoes cannot reach those offshore rigs. Why the laziness of claiming what you have not invested a penny in developing? Offshore oil is in the territorial waters of the great country of Nigeria and belongs to ALL Nigerians.

If you want to claim it for yourselves, declare your own republic and fight for it.

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by vedaxcool(m): 11:45am On Sep 05, 2014
Interesting thread, front-page, people confuse patriotism for sycophancy and blatant lies. We cannot keep quiet while our future, wealth and values is being plundered by an incompetent govt led by an patron of ND militants.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by lakpalakpa: 11:50am On Sep 05, 2014
Patriotism means supporting the inept and clueless FG as it bankrupts the Nation or at least staying quiet.

grin grin grin
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Patriotic? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Sep 05, 2014
The new definition of patriotism is shouting Gej till 2019

Saying God help when cases of Ebola breaks

Saying Rip when boko haram strikes

Staying politically indifferent because nothing good can come out of politics

Fighting anyone that speaks truth.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mubi Battle: Army Arrests Six Senior Officers For Fleeing / Dollar Rising Vote Wisely Ooooooo / GEJ Has Been An Ogboni Man Long Ago.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.