Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,544 members, 7,808,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:49 PM

Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% (14189 Views)

FG Imports Grasses From Brazil For Grazing Reserve – Ogbeh / FG To Ban Rice Imports By 2017 / Emefiele: Nigeria’s Imports On Agricultural Products Is Alarming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by Ademat7(m): 6:08am On Sep 04, 2014
Who control d sale of rice? Igbo guys,until they start patronizing local commercial producer smuggling will still be high.due to d fact that they want to b millionaire in short time therefore they buy@ cheap price to sell at high price in lagos
Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by jaybiz007(m): 6:11am On Sep 04, 2014
Our borders are more porous than a basket. If only local production could be aggressively addressed like the ebola outbreak, the creativity in my aba brothers will be fully unlocked!. Good morning Nigeria.
Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by Frankpiska(m): 6:17am On Sep 04, 2014
Nigerians always believing that anything foreign is better,if ain't consuming local rice then you should count yourself among those that don't want 9ja to progress.....in other words,you are APC!..lolz.

2 Likes

Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by surgecom(m): 6:24am On Sep 04, 2014
Nice development. But this smuggling sha.

Please i need a well milled, stone free, full bag (50 kg) of ofada rice, where can i get this.

I want to start re packaging the same in 1kg.

6 Likes

Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by Nobody: 6:34am On Sep 04, 2014
themmydhayhor: grin grin grin

Point of correction.....

Na we dey export weed (marijuana) and some of our babes
make i hear! U neva c wen custom dey seize truckload of ganja wey won bypass border? E get som kind weed wey we no get. grin
Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by Rawani: 6:35am On Sep 04, 2014
Sincere9gerian: The so called terminal operators should wake up and smell the coffin. The ports are for imports AND exports and not just for imports. We also need to create JOBS for our people.

Few days ago, I bought well milled, stone free, full bag (50 kg) Abakiliki rice for only N7,200 at Ogbete market. I couldn't believe it when someone told me about it initially until I gave him money to buy it just to confirm.

Likewise, the Nigeria milled Ebony rice, Stallione rice and others are taking over the rice market in Enugu.

Smuggling is definitely a problem because of our mostly ineffective custom officials but as local capacity grows, smuggling will become increasingly less profitable and gradually disappear just like is happening with rice.

Nigeria has a huge rice sector capable of earning $9 billion, this cannot be achieved without the present restrictions on importations and i agree they should be maintained. Irrigation however is a big issue with rice production as the major problem rice millers in Abakaliki are facing is that they do not produce because there is no irrigation facility in the whole of Ebonyi State. Rice Mills like Stallion which you mentioned have to source their crop from collection centres in the far rice producing states in the northern part of the country, adding transportation costs and other logistics to the final cost. The 'Fadama' irrigation programmes established in the some northern states by past administrations contributed greatly to our overall rice production figures as they provide the crop for these mills and similar efforts should be made by the current administration to make similar efforts so we can be able to fully exploit our potential.

8 Likes

Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by themmydhayhor(m): 6:39am On Sep 04, 2014
Tazmode: make i hear! U neva c wen custom dey seize truckload of ganja wey won bypass border? E get som kind weed wey we no get. grin

N we get some wey den no get
Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by Rawani: 6:44am On Sep 04, 2014
Rice can also be used as feed and furfural.

1 Like

Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by poiZon: 6:49am On Sep 04, 2014
-isorait.
Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by Ahmeduana(m): 6:50am On Sep 04, 2014
[quote author=chinziaski]
I TINK GOVERMENT SHULD APPROACH IT IN A KIND OF BRUTAL&AGGRESSIVE MANNER BY ARREST& PROSECUT NBODY FOUND SMUGGLIN& SELLIN IMPORTED OR FOREIGN RICE NO MATTER HOW BIG OR SMALL D PERSON INVOLVE IS.

1 Like

Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by Nobody: 7:11am On Sep 04, 2014
[quote author=Ahmeduana][/quote] that is the best way to tackle this problem. If they do what you proposed above, it will help in reducing the smuggling of these commodities. Nigerians are working while some importers are spitting on their efforts. That's not fair.

2 Likes

Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by Nobody: 7:18am On Sep 04, 2014
If you believe GEJ is working, let's trend twitter with #GejIsWorking

4 Likes

Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by Nostradamu(m): 7:18am On Sep 04, 2014
I've often told anybody who cares to listen that by the time Nigeria changes for the best,some people might be marginalized due to the dact that they never believed in the "Nigerian Project". Basically,we all have to start "reprogramming" our brains (cause I know it aint easy to believe in Naija) to meet the new challenges a better Naija is offering and forget the past (and maybe the present teething problems) with a view to start enjoying our self inflicted "post-apatheid" bounties. God Bless Nigeria,God Bless Nairaland,God bless all the nailanders for their nation-building,and encouraging comments made here (even though we have some CLOWNS amongst us). Seun good job....Nairalnders welcome to the nw Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by Youngzedd(m): 7:29am On Sep 04, 2014
Sincere9gerian: The so called terminal operators should wake up and smell the coffin. The ports are for imports AND exports and not just for imports. We also need to create JOBS for our people.

Few days ago, I bought well milled, stone free, full bag (50 kg) Abakiliki rice for only N7,200 at Ogbete market. I couldn't believe it when someone told me about it initially until I gave him money to buy it just to confirm.

Likewise, the Nigeria milled Ebony rice, Stallione rice and others are taking over the rice market in Enugu.

Smuggling is definitely a problem because of our mostly ineffective custom officials but as local capacity grows, smuggling will become increasingly less profitable and gradually disappear just like is happening with rice.

So this is now possible in my country. I dislike the stones that was the reason I don't buy local made rice.

GEJ is working while some are mopping.

4 Likes

Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by san316(m): 7:32am On Sep 04, 2014
This is good, lemme start planning my fish production business. I think the market is not hard to find and it can be done alongside my job. Thank you FG for giving me hope. But GEJ till 2015 sha.
Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by mejai(m): 7:34am On Sep 04, 2014
hmmn. everybody is talking about rice here and nobody is talking about the fish in d topic. local produced fish is not enough for d nation to consume and available ones r expensive. I perceive lack of fish in our food soonest.
u go to hospital , d doctors would encourage u to abandon meat and hug fish and fruits.... yet fish and fruits r damn expensive Dan d drugs we buy. d government should take it easy with der policies until our local producers r at par wit importers.

3 Likes

Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by segradino(m): 7:47am On Sep 04, 2014
for real?

Good news for smart phone users, you can now purchase MTN and Etisalat Data Plans for as low as N400 for 250mb, Check out
this thread on Nairaland for full details https://www.nairaland.com/1852534/mtn-etisalat-data-cheapest-rate
Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by Nobody: 7:57am On Sep 04, 2014
Frankpiska:
Please bro,is stallion rice foreign or local brand?
Yes
Stallion Group forges ahead with local rice production 0
By Our Reporter on May 7, 2014 Business

The Agriculture Transformation Agenda of the Federal Government has continued to gain traction as Stallion Group has joined the train to accelerate the development of a fully integrated rice value chain in the country.

According to the company, the initiative complements its vision of developing large scale local industries in Nigeria.

“Stallion owns and operates the country’s largest integrated rice milling facility and has formed Popular Progressive Farmers Association that is working tirelessly to improve farm yields and bring in sustainable and scalable growth to farmers. The Group has fully backward integrated its rice value chain viz production, procurement through collection centre, association with co-operatives and farmers, logistic and post-harvest services, marketing and acting as a catalyst toward sustainable growth”, it explains in a statement.

On the efforts of the Progressive Farmers Association, Stallion Group that explained that the association was “working closely with co-operative farmer association to convert subsistence farming into commercial farming by providing technical inputs in respect of land preparation, crop care, weed management, moisture management and post-harvest care. Some farms are also assisting in improving storage methods resulting in acceptable levels of moisture in the paddy which in turn results in higher milling recovery.”

Under the Transformation Agenda, and with the assistance of a team of agricultural experts from around the world, the company said it started deliberating on various agricultural extension and training programmes among farmers groups and at strategically located rice farms. Furthermore, the challenge of milling and processing the rice paddy has taken its importance, pursuant to which the company started its commercial production (Made in Nigeria rice) from locally procured paddy by putting a state of the art rice milling facility in the northern state of Kano.

The company is now operating a fully integrated state-of-the-art rice mill in the country with an aggregate capacity of 360,000 metric tonnes per annum and is producing a premium variety of rice from local paddy being marketed under the names “Royal Stallion Shinkafa” and “Super Champion’’ which are now the most popular locally produced Made in Nigeria brands of rice.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=62549

1 Like

Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by Ahmeduana(m): 8:05am On Sep 04, 2014
[quote author=chinziaski] that is the best way to tackle this problem. Nigerians are working while some importers are spitting on their efforts.
THANKS 4 UNDERSTANDIN PROBLEM & D SOLUTION, BUT FORTUNATELY SOME PEOPLE DON'T SEE IT THAT WAY
Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by braivheart: 8:12am On Sep 04, 2014

. Smell the coffin haahaahaahaahaahaa grin grin grin
Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by lastpage: 8:20am On Sep 04, 2014
Self Sufficiency is very good.... but only a foolish person hears the rumble of a rain and then proceed to throw/pour away the water he has stored in his drums" ... what if it does not eventually rain?

Jonathan and his advisers are the most clueless "adults" that this world has ever produced. WHY? He keeps putting the cart before the horse! shocked shocked

1) Rice: five years ago (1999), a bag of rice (50Kg) was #1,200. Today, it ranges from #9,000 to #12,000 depending on quality!
Question is: whose interest does it serve for people with fixed income (civil servants or Corpers for example) to live under such level of inflation, all in the name of self-sufficiency in Rice production?
Mind you, l am not saying self-sufficiency is wrong, l am saying the method of achieving it, as demonstrated by this clueless Govt, is completely stewpid.

In computer Science/project implementation, there is something called CHANGE-OVER or SWITCH-OVER METHODS!
The best method amongst the four types is the "gradual phase-in-phase-out" method (l am trying to use very simple terms here so that l can carry everyone along). It implies that you gradually withdraw the old method/system while you GRADUALLY phase-in the new method/system.
The keyword here is "GRADUALLY".

You dont ban or hike the import tariff on Rice or Vehicles until you are sure that your local production is ENOUGH to sustain demand, otherwise, you simply cause scarcity and price inflation
Nigeria is not producing even 25% of the local rice requirement... yet you are banning/hiking tarrif on foreign imports? That is what made the price to jump from #1,200 to around #10,000 within five years, an increase of around 700%! Now, can you increase salary by 700%? The answer is NO.

Now, you might argue that if we dont ban this items, we will not produce it locally or say we ban them to encourage local production.
You are wrong! There so many ways to increase/encourage local production.

1.) Say Rice for example or Cars: Govt can fund mechanized farming of rice while not stopping the importation. what happens is that we will have a situation whereby the market become saturated with the product.

Since people are used to the imported version, you simply drop the price of the local one (subsidize it), compared to the imported one, to encourage people to buy it. Most People are "rational beings" and as long as the QUALITY is comparable, in no time, people will switch to the local one and then the demand for the imported brand will fall and eventually die-off NATURALLY! A case in point for this example is "Electrical cable" imported and made in Nigeria. Go to any market and you will find otu that made-in-Nigeria Cable is costlier than imported electrical cable.... and Govt did not need to ban the importation of cable before this "situation" was achieved.

Gradually, Govt can then sell its holdings in this mechanized farms to "private operators" at reasonable profit. (Assuming they dont sell it ot their friends, as they did NITEL, STEEL PLANTS, NEPA, e.t.c

Second Method:
Using Cars as example, it is strange that while the country is yet to produce (not as in Assemble!) its first car, we are banning vehicle importation, knowing that it is something we cannot do without. The result again is artificial price inflation.

what should have been done is that Govt encourages and support local producers (l hope l can call them that sef, but we can keep helping them to increase their local content) by first granting them incentives in form of import waivers for raw materials (and ensure that they spend it on such specified products!), free/cheap land in industrial layouts, other infrastructure like "link-roads" to the ports or catchment market.

Then Govt will be the first to patronise their product, to keep the production-line moving
As they "trade" their products and produce more, their level of production will get to a point where they can boast of meeting a certain percentage of local requirement. At this point, economies of large scale will ensure that their "selling price" keeps dropping, compared to imported vehicles.
GRADUALLY, Govt can then begin to "squeeze out' the imported vehicles using fiscal and monetary policies. This will ensure that prices dont rise dramatically and the common man is able to afford a vehicle and not denied the right to chose whether to buy local or imported.

What we have is some CLUELESS LEADERS using BRUTE FORCE to force the masses to do their wishes, to pay for goods at exorbitant rates, to go hungry or malnourished due to high cost of staple foods like Rice and Gari..... and to think they themselves will not use locally made cars and they get their own bag of Rice for free, what with the billions of Naira they budget for food at Aso rock!
How the poor man also wish he can budget one Billion Naira for food annually, then who will care about increase in import tariff?

Finally, why BAN something.... and thenhave the same thing smuggled-in through the next country's border? If we know we cannot police our borders and our Customs are not trustworthy enough to protect the country, then banning such items is just diverting money (in terms of revenue) which should have accrued to govt pockets (and available to all of us!), into the pockets of a few "smugglers" and their collaborators at the border posts. It is senseless. Ban only if you can enforce such ban, otherwise it is counter productive.
Foreign materials is banned yet, everyone is wearing a foreign lace material!
Even the Govt official who pronounced the ban is not left out! From Hollandis to Voil lace! angry angry

Honestly, in a poor country like Nigeria, staple foods like rice should not cost more than #250/ 50Kg bag.
I am looking at say 1.5% of the average monthly basic income. Yes, someone earning #20,000 monthly has no business buying rice above #300/bag. It is achievable with good leadership and good planning.

It is so in advance countries, Food is the cheapest thing you expend your income on.
But in Nigeria, it is the opposite! Masses are dying of starvation while our "Ogas at the Top" die of constipation!

Lastpage!

Caveat: These suggestions are provided free of charge even though it cost me a lot of private money to get educated,.... during the good old days of sound education.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by Balkan(m): 9:00am On Sep 04, 2014
Thank God for our President
GEJ till Jesus comes

3 Likes

Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by anonimi: 9:09am On Sep 04, 2014
@ lastpage,

The problem of inflated food costs is the fact that there are too many people who receive too much money for doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Thus the classical definition of inflation applies to our country- too much money chasing after too few goods.
How much does a LGA Councillor receive guaranteed monthly
What of State Assembly legisLOOTER as well as his Abuja NASS counterpart who is a SINator and representaTHIEF who also collect mega-millions without producing any Bill to address the multiple legal loopholes in our constitution or bring issues concerning their constituents whom they REPRESENT to the attention of the executive i.e. governor/commissioner & president/minister The wage DISPARITY therefore discourages the underpaid civil servants & other real sector workers from doing a good job & producing goods + services as they are clearly demotivated sad

Meanwhile your proposal of gradual phase-in while it seems good in theory may not be ideal in our situation as you need to encourage private investors by putting in place reasonable, stable & long-term import tariff protection so they can decide to produce locally rather than opt for quick TRADING returns from importation. That was what our really CLUELESS military DICTATORS did that brought us to this rotten stage of cheap & cheerful but deadly import-everything which the Jonathan/Sambo administration is slowly but steadily correcting.

Lastly, anyone who cannot fast/sacrifice meaningfully for a season will only remain perpetual slaves to those who can. May that not be our portion!!!
When you stayed in school for education you were making a sacrifice of your time & efforts in addition to that of your parents who paid the fees. You could have chosen to start "enjoying life" much earlier as maybe others did and are way below you now, normally.

4 Likes

Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by bendeco(m): 9:14am On Sep 04, 2014
Meanwhile, All waec Gce candidates should visit,
WWW.NaijaWaves.com
www.NaijaWaves.com
www.NaijaWaves.com
100% sure success awaiting 4 u. Via our package
Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by macklef(m): 9:22am On Sep 04, 2014
Do we import fish too Ehen? I never neu o. So all this riverine areas, what swims init, oysters?
Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by scholes23(m): 9:24am On Sep 04, 2014
What abt smuggling?
Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by JuanDeDios: 9:26am On Sep 04, 2014

Good to read this. I hope they start selling the stuff here soonest. I've been looking for this stone-free local rice to buy around here. It makes me feel bad I'm still eating imported rice.

4 Likes

Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by JuanDeDios: 9:31am On Sep 04, 2014
lastpage:
You dont ban or hike the import tariff on Rice or Vehicles until you are sure that your local production is ENOUGH to sustain demand, otherwise, you simply cause scarcity and price inflation
That's right.
Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by pheesayor(m): 9:39am On Sep 04, 2014
for the first time, I partially agree with you

Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by pheesayor(m): 9:40am On Sep 04, 2014
nothing swims in polluted water which is what most of our waters represent
macklef: Do we import fish too Ehen? I never neu o. So all this riverine areas, what swims init, oysters?
Re: Fish, Rice Imports Drop By 80% by pheesayor(m): 9:50am On Sep 04, 2014
@ lastpage, God bless you. Putting the cart before the horse has been the problem of this administration from the days of subsidy removal

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory / Nigerian Farmers Refuse To Repay N60 Billion Loan – Bank Of Agriculture / BA To Fly Nigerian Yams To UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.