Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,767 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:32 PM

What Do I Do With A Degree In English - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Do I Do With A Degree In English (6764 Views)

When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? / How Acceptable Is B.ed Degree In Labour Market / A Degree At National Open University ,after Hnd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do I Do With A Degree In English by vincentbab(m): 1:01pm On Oct 28, 2008
hey peeps, its your boy vincent, i like to know what one could do with a degree in english language
Re: What Do I Do With A Degree In English by carmelily: 2:56pm On Oct 28, 2008
Go for a 2nd degree in linguistics then go into IT and work in Computational Linguistics (CL). The IT of Linguistics. That's what I'm doing. 1st degree was English, 2nd was Master's in Linguistics (not easy with an English background, though. Must warn you). Now into CL - speech recognition, Natural Language Processing, machine translation, syntactic parsing etc. Firms like Google will snatch you up if you know your stuff. Just be ready to work hard. Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: What Do I Do With A Degree In English by Pap: 7:00pm On Oct 29, 2008
Alternately, You could paste it on your shirt and wave it at passers-by.
You could also die of hunger.

The choice is yours.
Stay Blessed.
Re: What Do I Do With A Degree In English by carmelily: 1:16pm On Nov 03, 2008
Haba, PAP.

Not fair angry
Re: What Do I Do With A Degree In English by seun1978: 1:28pm On Nov 03, 2008
Better still u can take career in teaching and educational magt after u mighthave gotten masters degree in educational magt. just keep it up it is not an easy thing to earn a degree in even the most cheapest cost in the university not to talk of a whole english . i strongly believe that you a potential. only last week iread in guardian seeking for graduate in ur discipline for editorial job
Re: What Do I Do With A Degree In English by bawomolo(m): 5:55am On Nov 04, 2008
go teach at a primary school in your abule
Re: What Do I Do With A Degree In English by DisGuy: 10:12am On Nov 04, 2008
vincentbab:

hey peeps, its your boy vincent, i like to know what one could do with a degree in english language

you had 4-6 bloody years to think about that didnt you?

practise some gmat go for bank test, work in admin,customer care, work in schools etc
Re: What Do I Do With A Degree In English by carmelily: 10:25am On Nov 04, 2008
bawomolo:

go teach at a primary school in your abule

He didn't say he read English Education. There's a big difference between English and English Education. Read my october 28 post above and tell me what good i would be to primary school kids? He'd probably be a bad teacher because he didn't study English to teach it.

Haba, just help him with good ideas if you can. He must be quite confused to post this here.
Re: What Do I Do With A Degree In English by DisGuy: 10:29am On Nov 04, 2008
where can he study liguistic?

save your save the hustle, money and stress, get with the naija programm
business course bring in the money anything short of that your toying with
your future!! you think google will come snatch you from a uni with no electricty talkless of
computer?
Re: What Do I Do With A Degree In English by abawa(m): 2:28pm On Nov 04, 2008
Why dont u guys consider Camelie's proposal?
I read thesame thing and today am happy to say i work in a financial institution and doing well.
Re: What Do I Do With A Degree In English by carmelily: 3:41pm On Nov 04, 2008
this Guy:

where can he study liguistic?

save your save the hustle, money and stress, get with the naija programm
business course bring in the money anything short of that your toying with
your future!! you think google will come snatch you from a uni with no electricty talkless of
computer?

i don't know about "liguistic" but he can study linguistics in UI, UNIUYO, UNICAL, UNN, UNAD etc. Linguistics is directly related to English.
And why would you wait for google to come for you? go to them if they don't!!!
Re: What Do I Do With A Degree In English by DisGuy: 4:59pm On Nov 04, 2008
you'll definately make a poor teacher!

carmelily:

Go for a 2nd degree in linguistics then go into IT and work in Computational Linguistics (CL). The IT of Linguistics. That's what I'm doing. 1st degree was English, 2nd was Master's in Linguistics (not easy with an English background, though. Must warn you). Now into CL - speech recognition, Natural Language Processing, machine translation, syntactic parsing etc. Firms like Google will snatch you up if you know your stuff. Just be ready to work hard. Goodluck.

lets see

4-6 years studying English
1-2 years Masters Linguistics- how much does it cost for a masters program?
8-1year- NIIT,APTECH ETC ETC -certainly not free!
then now Search for a job in Computational Linguistics
makes sense doesnt it?
and chances of you getting spotted by google from a pirate backwater like nigeria
is incredibly high  cheesy

So tell us Victor there must be a reason you spent 4-5years studying a course like english
or did someone choose it for you?
Re: What Do I Do With A Degree In English by DisGuy: 5:09pm On Nov 04, 2008
Jobs directly related to your degree
English as a foreign language teacher/English as a second language teacher - teaching English to international students either in the UK or overseas.
Primary school teacher and Secondary school teacher - teaching in state and independent schools, sixth form and FE colleges.
Jobs where your degree would be useful
Advertising account executive - acts as a link between three to four client accounts and the agency; has overall responsibility for the smooth running of a campaign; coordinates the activities of the advertising and administrative teams.
Arts administrator - provides administrative support for a wide range of arts and cultural organisations.
Academic librarian, Information officer/manager, Records manager - responsible for the acquisition, organisation and dissemination of information and materials within the library system or information unit.
Charity officer or NGO - responsibilities include aspects of marketing, public relations, organising events, finance, fund-raising and managing volunteers.
Editorial assistant - assists senior editorial staff in the administration of the commissioning, planning and production of books, journals and magazines. The recognised starting point for editorial and publishing careers.
Marketing executive - involved in business development, market research, planning, product development, pricing, packaging, advertising, PR and sales.
Newspaper journalist - researches and writes stories for publication in local, regional and national press.
Programme researcher, broadcasting/film/video – supports the production team, collects, verifies and prepares information for film, television and radio productions. This can be seen as apprenticeship for a production role.
Public relations officer - uses all forms of media and communication to build, maintain and manage the reputation of companies and organisations.
Runner, broadcasting/film/video - fetches, carries and does any small jobs needed for the production department of a film, video or television company. An entry level job into media production.

prospectus.ac.uk
Your job options
Re: What Do I Do With A Degree In English by tpia: 5:10pm On Nov 04, 2008
Re: What Do I Do With A Degree In English by carmelily: 11:44am On Nov 05, 2008
this Guy:

you'll definately make a poor teacher!

lets see

4-6 years studying English
1-2 years Masters Linguistics- how much does it cost for a masters program?
8-1year- NIIT,APTECH ETC ETC -certainly not free!
then now Search for a job in Computational Linguistics
makes sense doesnt it?
and chances of you getting spotted by google from a pirate backwater like nigeria
is incredibly high  cheesy

So tell us Victor there must be a reason you spent 4-5years studying a course like english
or did someone choose it for you?

In life, if you don't believe, you can't achieve. I knew what i was telling him. In this age and time, no matter what you study you have to know how it relates to IT if you want to stay on top of the game.  that's the simple truth.

who says you have to go to NIIT and all that to be IT-savvy?? why do you have to "search for a job in computational linguistics" (like you say). There are a million and one jobs you can apply your IT skills to. And they all require English as well!

Go to the webmasters' section on Nairaland and see how many guys there talk about  teaching themselves IT or taking free online courses. you don't need to enroll in any NIIT etc etc. All you need is focus and goals.

And yes, i'll definitely make a poor teacher that's why i didnt study English Education. I may be a lecturer someday, but definitely not a teacher.

Besides, if you say education is too expensive or takes too long, TRY IGNORANCE!!

p.s. And the guy's name is Vincent, not Victor. That's a linguistic error wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do I Do With A Degree In English by carmelily: 12:05pm On Nov 05, 2008
@Dsguy

I just read your suggestions for him. They are all great jobs. But if his degree wasn't in English (combined honours) then he can't do the 1st two. The ones you wrote in italics. The truth is what they teach in English are courses like Phonetics, Syntax, Psycholinguistics, Sociolinguistics, Semantics, Stylistics, Pragmatics, Morphology. These have nothing to do with primary and secondary school past tense and present tense, singular and plural. But once people hear "English", that's what they assume! The only English graduates who can teach English well are those with combined Honours (in English and Education) because they are trained to teach English.

The other kind is English (Linguistics) and it's all about how English as a language fits into the scientific study of language as a phenomenon. That's why Google is the highest employer of linguists today. When you key in a search word, or a URL, that's syntax in action. When you think of the right way to reply to a message, that's psycholinguistics in action, when you think of the meaning of a search item or search results, or anything to do with logic, that's semantics/Pragmatics in action.

The whole idea of computational linguistics is to try to make machines (ATM, PCs, Translators, the Web, WAP, Spelling Checkers etc) think like humans do. That's where linguists come in. We study Language (note the capital L) and Language is a code. Someone with a degree in English (from Faculty of Arts, not Education) is a linguist, not a teacher. These sites below may give you an idea of what i mean:

http://www.alt-i.org/projects.htm

http://aflat.org/

I hate long posts but i just had to clarify this point. Teaching is no more directly related to English than to say, Medicine or Engineering. Unless you mean English Education. Same for all the other jobs you listed. There are other courses more related to them than English. By far.

1 Like

Re: What Do I Do With A Degree In English by DisGuy: 7:46am On Nov 06, 2008
Thank you very much carmelily, your post have been very insightful,
i guess what i was harping on about was mainly about the reality in nigeria
i dont know his background-family support, age and finances so i guess my advice
was about getting ROI asap and developing as he went along; when you consider
social science graduates, language graduates etc working in the banks/telecoms then studying for
second degree part-time or going off to further their education after gaining experience
and saving money you'll understand why i was abit skeptical about going for unpopular courses
that are not yet fully appreciated by big employers in the country.

those suggestions were from prospectus.ac.uk
Re: What Do I Do With A Degree In English by carmelily: 9:52am On Nov 06, 2008
this Guy:

Thank you very much carmelily, your post have been very insightful,
i guess what i was harping on about was mainly about the reality in nigeria
i don't know his background-family support, age and finances so i guess my advice
was about getting ROI asap and developing as he went along; when you consider
social science graduates, language graduates etc working in the banks/telecoms then studying for
second degree part-time or going off to further their education after gaining experience
and saving money you'll understand why i was abit skeptical about going for unpopular courses
that are not yet fully appreciated by big employers in the country.

those suggestions were from prospectus.ac.uk

@Dsguy

No sweat. One thing i realised, early enough (thank God) is that in Nigeria, you create your own reality. Even people with degrees in the so-called "popular" courses are begging bread today. Like the saying goes: The world will step aside and let the man who knows his way make his way. Obama is a good example. Nothing is unachievable. Nothing.

(1) (Reply)

AIT/Raypower: Owes Staff 6 Months Salaries / CONPSS Salary Structure In Nigeria: Not True / Download ACCA Full Syllabus PDF 2016 2017 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.