Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,126 members, 7,807,408 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:12 PM

Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa (37636 Views)

Naira Exchange Rates Today / The 10 Most Expensive Alcoholic Drinks On Earth / Why Are Imported Goods Excessively Expensive In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Kagawa: 2:59pm On Sep 04, 2014
According to a story on the guardian newspaper of last week, despite the high number of hotels in Lagos metropolis, it remains the city with highest charges on hotel accommodation in Africa. The Lagos state hotel licensing office cites that there are about 2,500 registered hotels in the state. Now the guardian newspaper’s research finds out that five star hotels with branches in other African countries like Johannesburg, South Africa, Kenya, Nairobi, Maputo, Zambia, Lusaka, Da es Salam, Tanzania, Mauritius, charge very much higher room rates in Lagos compared to their other African cities counterparts.

It may shock you, but the price difference at times is at 1,48%. Guardian further explains that the standard room for Southern Sun Ikoyi, Lagos costs ₦62,000 but in Johannesburg South Africa, the same room costs ₦25,000. In Sheraton Hotel Pretoria, South Africa, a diplomatic suit with a king size bed costs ₦149,000/night but the same in Lagos, Nigeria goes for ₦248,000 with a difference in 65 per cent.

Why do these hotels cost so much? A hotel sales and marketing manager says this is because many visitors prefer branded hotels, especially the ones their companies are associated with. He also says the prices are hiked since demand is higher than supply in peak periods hence that the market forces are to be blamed.

There is also an argument that the more expensive the hotel room is, the more standard their services would be and many travelers love standard. Now another factor is cost of operation, many hotel owners say this is the chief reason for the hotel rooms exorbitant prices. as the cost incurred in running a hospitality business in Nigeria is horribly high because of inefficient availability of basic amenities like power, water, as most of these hotels now provide their own power in form of diesel generators and of course dig their own wells.

More so, these hotel owners invest huge amounts of money in security which the government is presently failing to do and thus this further catapults the hotel rates. Many of these other African countries do not have the aforementioned problems. Presently Nigeria can only supply 4,000Mw, but that of South Africa is 45,700Mw. There is also the problem of multiple taxes and other charges like signboard fees, liquor license, tenement rate, water, electricity and parking bill.

Although it said that the labor costs in Nigeria is relatively cheap compared to that of other African countries, employee costs is also held as another reason for the exorbitant hotel room rates in Lagos.

see more: - http://thebusinessaim.com.ng/lagos-city-hotel-rates-are-the-highest-in-africa/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by charony(m): 3:04pm On Sep 04, 2014
Just being extravagant.....

FTC things.......wow! This is cool.

10 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by whirlwind7(m): 3:22pm On Sep 04, 2014
It doesn't take rocket science to figure out. Cost of running business in Nigeria is outrageously high. Same reason why many companies have been shut down: No water, no electricity.

40 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Nobody: 3:38pm On Sep 04, 2014
shey The sleep for these expensive hotels dey different??

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by MyIncorp: 3:46pm On Sep 04, 2014
whirlwind7: It doesn't take rocket science to figure out. Cost of running business in Nigeria is outrageously high. Same reason why many companies have been shut down: No water, no electricity.

Yeah, sure. The only way to keep afloat seem to inflate the prices of goods and services. And the resultant effect? Exhorbitant prices compared to other countries in the region.
STOP PRESS! Click Here to Register a Company in Nigeria
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Okijajuju1(m): 4:56pm On Sep 04, 2014
I agree..

Spent 10 nights in Four Points by Sheraton last Christmas... Nna MEN!!!! angry I nearly break-up with my wife that Christmas when I see the debit alert. angry

21 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Airforce1(m): 4:56pm On Sep 04, 2014
Ok

1 Like

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by juicydiceyjoe(m): 4:57pm On Sep 04, 2014
So
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Nobody: 4:57pm On Sep 04, 2014
Okay, I was here.
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by aholiab(m): 4:57pm On Sep 04, 2014
GOD help us

1 Like

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Adventurist(m): 4:57pm On Sep 04, 2014
This is what i call extortion! How will government control hospitality sector when it hasnt tackle security?

9 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by alaladakosta(f): 4:58pm On Sep 04, 2014
For wetting
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by sirjohnson(m): 4:58pm On Sep 04, 2014
I dont believe this

1 Like

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Saheed9: 4:58pm On Sep 04, 2014
Yungwizzzy: shey The sleep for these expensive hotels dey different??
I wonder o

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by ednut1(m): 4:58pm On Sep 04, 2014
traffic yapa today, wont go to the mainland today am sleeping at oriental hotel tonight, its expensive but i dont care cos i have the money cheesy cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Nobody: 4:59pm On Sep 04, 2014
whirlwind7: It doesn't take rocket science to figure out. Cost of running business in Nigeria is outrageously high. Same reason why many companies have been shut down: No water, no electricity.
That is the clear truth. The lack of good infrastructure makes it difficult to run the hotels at a low cost. I don't know why the Nigerian leaders are not focused on investing massively on infrastructure even if it takes having few ultra-rich people.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by holyboss: 4:59pm On Sep 04, 2014
Ok
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 04, 2014
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 04, 2014
cry

Nigeria's economy and services baffles the hell out of me. undecided

The services suck, the economy is comatose, everything is jaga jaga and most products are substandard. Yet everything is so damn expensive. WHY?

A normal hotel in California with all the normal services is so cheap that ordinary people can afford to spend a night or two in them.

Yet in Nigeria where the hotels are dirty, NEPA taking light anyhow, tiny food portions which are sometimes tasteless, and hotel staff who steal your things; things are so fvcking expensive.

Biko, what type of economy is Nigeria operating in? That is the kind of economy that will sooner crumble upon itself.

The people are so poor, yet the services are so expensive. It baffles me cry

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by igbsam(m): 5:00pm On Sep 04, 2014
Why wont it be expensive, no be money dem dey use fuel Generator ? No amenities. Mbok, they should leave them jor!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Nazjazz: 5:01pm On Sep 04, 2014
Lasgidi......hotelgidi

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by ebolablast: 5:01pm On Sep 04, 2014
even till now wey Ebola don stroll go dat side??

dangote fulfills his promise as he slashes down the price of cement
READ HERE http:///Gxzp
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by gistmelove(m): 5:01pm On Sep 04, 2014
cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by zeemore: 5:01pm On Sep 04, 2014
igbsam: f
Airforce1: Ok
holyboss: .
Titiluvly: Hmmmmm...Ok
kossyablaze: Hmmmm
murimoney: .
juicydiceyjoe: So
Nonesense

12 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by hybeenoni: 5:01pm On Sep 04, 2014
Lagos na wa!
Though I dnt blame them sha coz Lagos is d place 2 b as far as biz in Nigeria is concerned.
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Nobody: 5:02pm On Sep 04, 2014
What do you expect a country where Hotels/companies provide their own light and water, some even go as much as doing the road to the hotel. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Nobody: 5:02pm On Sep 04, 2014
Hmmmmm...Ok
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by kossyablaze(m): 5:02pm On Sep 04, 2014
Hmmmm

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Dosoq(f): 5:02pm On Sep 04, 2014
Na wa o,too much money,but,won't ebola affect hotel business des days?
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by stagger: 5:02pm On Sep 04, 2014
Ha ha ha. You think Lag is expensive? Try Abuja especially now that national conventions will soon start coming up. Yet the hotel people can't even spray insecticides in the damn rooms. You go wan craze! angry angry

4 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by BlackBaron: 5:03pm On Sep 04, 2014
Nigerian hotels are 'states' on their own. They provide for their own water, security, pay over the odds for fast internet,electricity.

Also the cost factor of building; Our cement prices are the second highest in the world.

In fact... I was wrong we do have the highest cement prices in the world.
Profit margin of 52% for Dangote cement against a global average of 6%. The biggest Cement maker in the world makes only 18%.

A tonne of cement in Vietnam is $67/tonne. Nigerians pay $263/tonne.

Read here

http://aguntasolo.com/tag/dangote-cement/

11 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by sentaljohn(m): 5:03pm On Sep 04, 2014
Its due to the high cost of living in Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Commissioning Of Dangote Refinery - (Live Video, Pictures) / Naira Exchange Rate Against Dollar, Pound And Euro / Fidelity Bank Appoints Nneka Onyeali-Ikpe As New MD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.