Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,832 members, 7,806,337 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:00 PM

Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 (4618 Views)

Will You Rock Cheapest Tablet With Features You Did Like ? / Innjoo F3 Review : Cheapest Tablet Ever / Cheapest Tablet Phones Price Under ₦20000 In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by empexy(m): 3:55pm On Sep 04, 2014
Android devices have been known to be very affordable, compared to other devices – Windows and Apple OS.

However, a new Windows Tablet is looking to put an end to Android’s intimidating dominance with the Toshiba Encore Mini, which runs Windows 8.1.

The Toshiba Encore Mini has a quad-core Intel Atom CPU, 1GB of RAM, 16GB of storage and a microSD card slot. The 7-inch screen is of the 16:9, 1024 x 600 variety. There are of course front- and rear (2MP)-facing cameras, a micro USB 2.0 port. It also comes with a one-year subscription to Office 365 and 1TB of cloud storage via Microsoft’s OneDrive.

Microsoft promised cheaper Windows tablets with its “Windows 8.1 with Bing” option for manufacturers, and they’re now starting to arrive. This new device is priced for just $119.99 (N20 000).

If you’re a Windows fan this is probably the smallest device capable of running a full version of Windows seen so far.

Android OS presently has 61.9 per cent of the tablet market; Apple OS has 36 per cent, while Microsoft is in a staggering third with 2.1 per cent. The release of cheaper tablets is hoped to increase its market share as its devices will become more affordable to users.

http://infobuddie..com/2014/09/windows-releases-cheapest-tablet.html

3 Likes

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by encryptjay(m): 5:06pm On Sep 04, 2014
Nice one. Competiton everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by Dreyl(m): 6:00pm On Sep 04, 2014
Nice tablet
Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by Dabss(m): 6:29pm On Sep 04, 2014
This not just about the price my dear friends. A friend of mine had the 8" Toshiba encore with a quad core Intel atom cpu 2gb ram but it was terribly laggy and frustrating, I can't imagine how much depression this one with just 1gb ram will cause.
Full window 8.1 on 1gb ram? God forbid bad thing! grin

1 Like

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by solihu(m): 6:47pm On Sep 04, 2014
Dabss: This not just about the price my dear friends. A friend of mine had the 8" Toshiba encore with a quad core Intel atom cpu 2gb ram but it was terribly laggy and frustrating, I can't imagine how much depression this one with just 1gb ram will cause.
Full window 8.1 on 1gb ram? God forbid bad thing! grin

I understand, on every sphere of life there ought to be nay Sayers undecided

2 Likes

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by Dabss(m): 7:00pm On Sep 04, 2014
solihu:

I understand, on every sphere of life there ought to be nay Sayers undecided
oga you can buy it if you want but please at least wait for reviews from actually users.

2 Likes

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by Idrismusty97(m): 8:29pm On Sep 04, 2014
Rubbish! Why would i use a tablet with Windows 8.1 OS? These people better swallow their pride and add the "Android OS" in their device or crash down like BlackBerry. I go buy tablet wey no get single app ne. How many apps/games widows OS get self. All those 1gb ram, quad core blahblah na for waste!

1 Like

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by OCTAVO: 8:49pm On Sep 04, 2014
Nice.
Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by Nobody: 9:02pm On Sep 04, 2014
cool coming 4 u soon cool
Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by Nobody: 9:26pm On Sep 04, 2014
Where can I get it?

1 Like

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by Nobody: 9:41pm On Sep 04, 2014
We re tired of 7inch screen...we need bigger screens joor...7inch don tire me...

1 Like

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by habiolah(m): 9:44pm On Sep 04, 2014
abeg I fit download food from the thing? if no, I no dey buy. My Nokia 3310 dey serve me wella
Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by VocalWalls: 12:42am On Sep 05, 2014
7 Inch window?

Abeg, Na door sure pass!

3 Likes

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by Bawss1(m): 1:08am On Sep 05, 2014
Idrismusty97: Rubbish! Why would i use a tablet with Windows 8.1 OS? These people better swallow their pride and add the "Android OS" in their device or crash down like BlackBerry. I go buy tablet wey no get single app ne. How many apps/games widows OS get self. All those 1gb ram, quad core blahblah na for waste!

Such ignorance.

People who make comments like this are under the delusion that mobile OSes like Android and iOS are the the be-all and do-all of computing systems. FYI all desktop applications are supported on Win8.1 in addition to its growing array of mobile apps. I mean, what else can match MS Office - in all it's feature rich glory - on a tablet?

Many people are stuck in their straitjacket outlook so these comments shouldn't really surprise me.

2 Likes

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by gift01: 4:43am On Sep 05, 2014
Microsoft fighting for their market share in the tablet market. Doubt their competitiveness.
Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by MonkeyButt: 4:51am On Sep 05, 2014
i preffer this

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:04am On Sep 05, 2014
Bawss1:

Such ignorance.

People who make comments like this are under the delusion that mobile OSes like Android and iOS are the the be-all and do-all of computing systems. FYI all desktop applications are supported on Win8.1 in addition to its growing array of mobile apps. I mean, what else can match MS Office - in all it's feature rich glory - on a tablet?

Many people are stuck in their straitjacket outlook so these comments shouldn't really surprise me.

except that you haven't talked about the practicability of using desktop apps on such a small touchscreen with such weak hardware.

how are you going to navigate app menus? have u used windows on a netbook or old PC with hardware with similar specs? do u know how shitty that is?

have you even thought about the app management on such hardware?

hmmnn. i just hope u will put your money where your mouth is .....

6 Likes

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by repogirl(f): 7:13am On Sep 05, 2014
I will not buy even if it is five naira, I use a windows8 phone and I just hate the OS.... Quite complex and doesn't really offer much!

1 Like

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by repogirl(f): 7:25am On Sep 05, 2014
Bawss1:

Such ignorance.

guy, use google docs and google drive to back up all your documents and you will not be saying this; best if all, their desktop aps are all free even for yor PC!

as a blogger, this option is soooooo convenient for me, cos I can post directly to my blog..., it saves my work automatically as I type whether am online or offline... This is especially good for desktop users who have no UPS in case of power outage while working..... i doubt you use android devices or you wouldn't be saying this, the things you can do with the android OS are unimaginable! They are just so convenient and seems as if they almost do your thinking for you. They are the future bro, Microsoft better up their game or they just might get kicked aside like their blackberry friends.

3 Likes

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by Idrismusty97(m): 8:14am On Sep 05, 2014
Bawss1:
Such ignorance.
Seriously it is still utter rubbish! They are great for PC and laptops but definitely not for phones/tablets, not even an inch. Let them sell it for 1k that's they business. Only ignorant people who haven't test many other OS will enjoy it.

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/August2014/windows-phone-8-1-vs-android-kitkat.html

1 Like

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by jmaine: 9:05am On Sep 05, 2014
Idrismusty97: Seriously it is still utter rubbish! They are great for PC and laptops but definitely not for phones/tablets, not even an inch. Let them sell it for 1k that's they business. Only ignorant people who haven't test many other OS will enjoy it.

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/August2014/windows-phone-8-1-vs-android-kitkat.html

You just endorsed your terrifying and terrible ignorance with that link . . .

Windows 8.1 is not Windows Phone 8.1 . . . . .so what's the fuss here . .. .?

1 Like

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by jmaine: 9:10am On Sep 05, 2014
repogirl: I will not buy even if it is five naira, I use a windows8 phone and I just hate the OS.... Quite complex and doesn't really offer much!

Lies, Windows phone 8 has one of the most simplistic UI in the mobile industry . . .it's even shocking an android user is complaining about complexities in other OSes

3 Likes

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by Dbestmax(m): 9:39am On Sep 05, 2014
All I need 2 know is.......
Op is d fone on sale nw....dnt mind anyone hi opposes d tab....
Windows haters u can make use of any transformer down d street tongue grin

1 Like

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by repogirl(f): 10:40am On Sep 05, 2014
jmaine:

Lies, Windows phone 8 has one of the most simplistic UI in the mobile industry . . .it's even shocking an android user is complaining about complexities in other OSes
lol, its so simple, its complex and annoying.... I can't send files via Bluetooth, I only receive and most times when it doesn't recognize the format, it deletes it without my authorization, I can't view files on my SD card, I can't even upload a flipping file onto nairaland or any other website, I can't share pics or anything using their stup'id internet explorer browser! Those are simple processes that shouldn't give any hassles.... Maybe their user interface is simple but their processes are not!
Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by jmaine: 10:45am On Sep 05, 2014
repogirl: lol, its so simple, its complex and annoying.... I can't send files via Bluetooth, I only receive and most times when it doesn't recognize the format, it deletes it without my authorization, I can't view files on my SD card, I can't even upload a flipping file onto nairaland or any other website, I can't share pics or anything using their stup'id internet explorer browser! Those are simple processes that shouldn't give any hassles.... Maybe their user interface is simple but their processes are not!

Quantum lies . . WP8.1 does all that.

Please don't be so bold in your blatant distortion of facts. Ignorance shouldn't be an excuse . . . . . .

1 Like

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by repogirl(f): 10:58am On Sep 05, 2014
jmaine:

Quantum lies . . WP8.1 does all that.

Please don't be so bold in your blatant distortion of facts. Ignorance shouldn't be an excuse . . . . . .
I use WP8.0, and from this my experience, I'm done with windows! 8.1 my foot!

1 Like

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by jmaine: 11:00am On Sep 05, 2014
repogirl: I use WP8.0, and from this my experience, I'm done with windows! 8.1 my foot!

Even a windows phone 8.0 did all that except the internet explorer issue . .yet UCweb browser was very capable of accomplishing several tasks.

You simply need to stop the lies . .Again Windows 8.1 is different from Windows Phone 8.1 ..

1 Like

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by kelvinnn(m): 11:05am On Sep 05, 2014
Windows 8.1 is for pc naaa....so hw come this tab?
Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by texazzpete(m): 11:22am On Sep 05, 2014
4llerbuntu:

except that you haven't talked about the practicability of using desktop apps on such a small touchscreen with such weak hardware.

how are you going to navigate app menus? have u used windows on a netbook or old PC with hardware with similar specs? do u know how shitty that is?

Except he knows he can use Bluestacks and run most Android apps on his tablet.

He also knows he can pick the right desktop apps to use. Interface elements on an 8 inch Windows tablet aren't any smaller than icons in web browser on an Android or iOS tablet...and people seem to manage just fine.

He also knows he can easily load the best versions of any emulator, run many Windows only apps, and play games that will not show up on Android or iOS. With Baytrail, he can load up the full PC versions of FIFA or Football Manager and not the heavily stripped down versions on sale in the iOS or Android stores.

He also can run the full version of office. Macros et al...all will run fine. And with WIMBOOT enabled to make sure that the OS doesn't take up more than 4GB space, he has enough space to run stuff.

Probably he also knows he can install Steam and run a huge selection of PC games from some years back at mid to low settings. He can hook it up to a TV or a monitor and use it for medium to light workloads. The Intel Baytrail SoCs in these tablets are far more powerful than those in netbooks of old...and Windows has become much lighter on system resources.

That is what he probably knows smiley

1 Like

Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by Les: 11:58am On Sep 05, 2014
repogirl: lol, its so simple, its complex and annoying.... I can't send files via Bluetooth, I only receive and most times when it doesn't recognize the format, it deletes it without my authorization, I can't view files on my SD card, I can't even upload a flipping file onto nairaland or any other website, I can't share pics or anything using their stup'id internet explorer browser! Those are simple processes that shouldn't give any hassles.... Maybe their user interface is simple but their processes are not!
yes, download uc browser and share as much pix as possible, IE don't support file sharing, makes me wonder y they use it as the device browser. I don't think your unsupported file formats are being deleted, using avi for example, download vlc and all those apps that support all video formats, you'll see your files there, I think its hidden or so, from experience. I saw videos that weren't in my m.card.
Explain what you mean by you can't view your files on SD card, all my files are in SD card, I store only apps on my phone, it's like you can even store apps in your SD card in win 8.1 but I haven't checked it out. I used win 8.0 b4 upgrading to win 8.1. I'll be back for the Bt. I love windows for it's social network integration.
Re: Windows Releases Cheapest Tablet Yet...cost Only N20 000 by Bawss1(m): 12:03pm On Sep 05, 2014
4llerbuntu:

A power computer user may find the hardware on this Toshiba unsatisfactory, true, but for the bulk of casual users,i.e more than half of android users especially here on Nairaland grin their needs will be easily met with this. This is a low end device, certainly no one will expects to run AutoCAD or do heavy video editing on it but it's Intel Atom processor can hold its own in the league of low end devices.

This is part of Window's foray into the low end market and while we await the performance review of this particular tablet any talk that Windows 8.1 is inferior or sub par in a mobile form factor can be dismissed. I currently use a windows 8.1 system, the Dell Inspirion 11 3000, it's a mid tier 2-in-1 laptop and even in tablet mode I have not found any major issues to gripe about regarding the OS. It handles beautifully! Not perfect but beautiful still.

A great deal of people here cannot see beyond their android devices and even though it is a great OS there are several limitations that put it behind robust and full fledge OSes like Windows. Then again many of these people are fine with those limitations so we won't begrudge them. Windows that is traditionally a desktop OS is continually evolving and entering into the mobile device space (and it is doing so gracefully) this is something android cannot achieve, to become robust enough to support legacy/desktop applications.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Glo Modified Bounce Tariff Plan / Glo Introduced Another Plan N1,000 For 2GB - Alternative To Comonth / Phantom 6 And 6 Plus Is Selling Out Amidst All Odds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.