Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,224 members, 7,807,751 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:29 PM

6 Symbols That We Turned Into Words - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Symbols That We Turned Into Words (559 Views)

Weather Signs & Symbols Meaning (pix) / Does Anybody Know What Any Of This Symbols Mean / 5 Symbols Of The Illuminati And Their Origin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

6 Symbols That We Turned Into Words by tobechi20(m): 5:03pm On Sep 04, 2014
6 Symbols That We Turned Into Words

1. SLASH
A recent article by Anne Curzanexplains how the slash (/) has become a proper word among young people. Her students not only speak the wordslashin places where the symbol would be found in writing, they write it out instead of using the symbol in status updates and text messages. (Does anyone care if my cousin comes visits slash stays with us Friday night?) Even more interesting,slashhas taken on a different meaning than the and/or one implied by the symbol. It can be used to follow up on a comment, or add an afterthought (I really love that hot dog place on Liberty Street. Slash can we go there tomorrow?) To Curzan this development of a new kind of conjunction is "like a rare bird sighting in the world of linguistics: an innovation in the slang of young people embedding itself as a function word in the language."

2. HEART
The heart probably first made its way into written language with the classic "I ♥ Mom" tattoo, but it became really prominent during the 1970s' "I Love New York" tourism campaign. The logo for the campaign substituted a red heart for the wordlove, and soon imitators were putting it on mugs and T-shirts proclaiming love for all kinds of things. Then the symbol turned back into a word, not meaning love, but heart. This seems to have begun with the 2004 movieI ♥ Huckabees, which was read out loud as "I Heart Huckabees" (though it was also called "I Love Huckabees"wink. Now people heart to heart everything. They heart it so much.

3. HASHTAG
The hash (#) symbol took on special importance in Twitter for its use in hashtags, keys that could be used to group or organize tweets. Hashtags soon became a way for people to make meta-comments or asides about what they were saying ("Watching wheel of fortune and eating oreos #livingthedream"wink. People started introducing hashtags in their speech by saying the word hashtag and then, to bring it full circle, started writing the wordhashtagto introduce meta-comments ("Yay for the selfie screen on vine. Hashtag so excited!"wink, even when they could have used the much more economical (#)

4. DOT DOT DOT
DOT DOT DOT means so much more than you think!
— It's A Teen Thing! (@ohteenquotes) May 21, 2012
The ellipsis (…) is a useful way to indicate a pause or, at the end of a sentence, to hint that there is more to say, but you're not going to say it right now. It's perfect for coy social media dialogue. Lately those who want to really emphasize the coyness or the awkwardness that an ellipsis can represent, as well as show that they are well aware they are taking advantage of those functions, write it out asdot dot dot("I need more friends to hang out with because when my like 4 friends are busy I'm just like dot dot dot"wink. It can even be used along with ellipses ("I'm wearing children's size 10-2 socks right now..... Yea, dot dot dot...."wink

5. PERIOD
Not all of our symbols-turned-words come from the modern era of social media. Since the beginning of the 20th century, the period (.) punctuation mark has been used as the adverbperiod, indicating "end of story; nothing more to say about it": "I have never and will never ride a jet ski, period."

6. QUOTE UNQUOTE
Quote-unquotehas also been around for a while. At first the words more closely followed the structure of the actual quote symbols, with the quoted (or ironically quoted) words appearing betweenquoteandunquote, but it became a compound, similar toso-called,that no longer follows the rules of actual quotation marks
Re: 6 Symbols That We Turned Into Words by nwaobitex: 5:25pm On Sep 04, 2014
hmm
Re: 6 Symbols That We Turned Into Words by johnwizey: 5:47pm On Sep 04, 2014
What of hmmm?

(1) (Reply)

Motivational Quotes. / Why Rain Falls / 100% Expo For Gce Waec Is Avialable Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.