Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,327 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? (8321 Views)

SHOW OFF TIME: Let Us Know The Car You Drive And How Much You Bought It / Police Said My Car Is Stolen / Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by bellong: 6:56pm On Sep 09, 2014
Ask your colleague if the name on the documents of the vehicle matches a government issued ID of the seller.

If it does, there's a possibility that it is not stolen.
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Cyberknight: 9:19pm On Sep 09, 2014
Siena:

You can get angry all you like. I too feel you're the person who's ended up with a hot car.

And when you're advised to meet in a public place, that does NOT mean the transaction should take place there. I would NOT buy an automobile from a guy in a gas station, eatery, pub, hospital, graveyard etc. These are ALL public places, but I would not hand over $4000 to some random guy in a sheepskin coat and a slouch hat.

This scenario about a "friend" is so full of holes, a morönic, blind chimpanzee with scrambled eggs for brains could pick them out without too much effort.

I second that. Rather too obvious to be using the old "my friend" cover.
Again, usually deals that look too good to be true usually are too good to be true. The law is clear on the ownership of stolen property - title always remains with the original owner whose property has been converted, so at the very least you are out 600k. Next, if indeed you carried out a modicum of due diligence, you would have realised the price you were paying was very low, so that should have sounded the alarm bells. Unfortunately for you, even if you did act in good faith, no-one will believe your story, and you are at the risk of some lockup time in a Nigerian slammer, a fate I wouldn't really wish on anyone. You may suss out appropriate steps to take from here. Best of luck to you.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Nobody: 7:47am On Sep 10, 2014
chillex8: @ OP

Here are few things to confirm

1. Does the name on the car particulars correspond to the name of the the seller?

2. Are all the vehicle documents in ORIGINAL print?

3. Does the vehicle registration no and VIN all match with that on the vehicle?

4. Was there a proper receipt of purchase, and "change of ownership" from the previous owner to the your colleague?

If yes to all , then your colleague is FREE to move around.

Cheers

So you're trying to say that if yes to all your questions above, then a 2009 rav4 bought at 600k isn't still fishy ?
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Nobody: 8:01am On Sep 10, 2014
I love Siena's responses on this thread once again.
My exact thoughts as well.

CityNG I'm also expecting comments from you grin
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Nobody: 8:12am On Sep 10, 2014
starlingbawa: From the way you re sounding and knowing the every move of your supposed friend in line with various contributors, I'm tempted into believing you re the actual buyer of this car on OLX.

600K will not even get you a 1996 Toyota Camry much less a 2009 Toyota RAV 4.

My friend I ve got only one word for you and it's 'STOLEN'!!!!!

That car was obviously stolen. You sef! Person wan sell car for you, na filling station una for meet. Na wa ooo!

One chance Naim you enter so and the quicker you distance yourself from that stolen car, the better it is for you.

A popular saying: "Dem say make we use our tongue take count our teeth ooo"

Totally uncalled for, be cautioned in your responses.
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Nobody: 8:15am On Sep 10, 2014
roosebolton: I am not a lawyer and this should not be taken as a legal advise. However the law is generally in favor of an innocent purchase of goods for value aka Bona Fide Puchaser. Hence anyone who buys a stolen or converted item has legal and valid title to that item as long as he/she did not have notice (actual or constructive) of the dubious claim of the seller. The elements which needs be satisfied for anyone to be deemed a Bona Fide Purchaser (BFP) are

He most have paid value for the item in this case, a gift does not qualify
He most not have had notice of the dubious title of the seller.. Now this element is tricky because notice can either be actual or constructive. While the law does not place a heavy burden on a buyer to investigate the title of a particular goods. General indicators are used to ascertain constructive notice like was the good purchased in an open market where such goods are generally both and sold? Was the goods puchased during normal usual hour of business or was it purchased at night or very early in the morning. A lot of x factors are also considered. But looking at the facts of this case, I don't think your friend has need to worry. Since she never had any idea the goods could be stolen and she bought with a clear mind. My advise would be for her to see a lawyer who can give her a better advise on how to proceed with the matter. If push comes to shove the law is in her favour even if the car was indeed stolen.. her title to it is over and above that of the original owner because of the protection the law gives the Bona Fide purchaser for value without notice.

Completely not true. At least in a society that works.

Stolen goods is taken with no financial recourse and delivered back to the rightful owner.

In fact I have seen it done by a police man on the street when the owner presented the title of the car with no court stuff but the arrest of the person driving the car.

"Possession of stolen goods is a crime in which an individual has bought, been given, or acquired stolen goods some other way (other than they themselves having stolen them).

In many countries, if an individual has accepted possession of goods or property and knew they were stolen, then the individual is typically charged with a misdemeanor or felony, depending on the value of the stolen goods. If the individual did not know the goods were stolen, then the goods are returned to the owner and the individual is not prosecuted. However, there are often exceptions, due to the difficulty of proving or disproving an individual's knowledge that the goods were stolen."

PS: Additionally, my Ex Brother In Law, a criminal element, did some jail time simply for being a passenger inside a vehicle that was reported stolen.
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Nobody: 8:22am On Sep 10, 2014
rofemiguwa: I have directed my colleague to this site.
I only opened this thread to seek advice. I did not buy any car and I am also sure she didn't buy a stolen car intentionally or out of greed as some have implied.

If she did she won't readily spread the news with joy to us 'her killjoy' colleague.
She would have hidden the price or lied about the means of purchase.

I don't want to appear more badbelle than I already do.

So she will be coming here to read the advice hersef if she want.
Cos it is getting confusing.

Sell it, paint it, repport it, park it.

Let her decide. It is her hard earned over two years savings considering our salary.
I can't make such decision for her

For those who have reponded thank you for your insights

For those who have accused and concluded that am the buyer well it is ur opinion in a faceless forum. U know no better.

What I think
Is the price ridiculous- yes it is that's why I opened this thread in the first place.
Is the car stolen - very possible
Is the car geniune-well maybe

Will i want to make an enemy of a colleague and be the bitter old jealous friend- hell to da No!

After all said and done
It is not my business
Sipping my lipton tea and waiting for kekenapep!

Look, I'm on your side but please stop saying that your friend did not buy that vehicle out of greed.

She paid an outlandishly small amount of money that is no commensurate with the level of vehicle. And to top if off she made the deal at a lay by.

Come on now.

I just have a request, for all things holy please come back and close this thread so we are not left in suspense.
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by chillex8(m): 8:23am On Sep 10, 2014
elbedso:
So you're trying to say that if yes to all your questions above, then a 2009 rav4 bought at 600k isn't still fishy ?

IT IS NOT
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by starlingbawa(m): 9:12am On Sep 10, 2014
CityNG:

Totally uncalled for, be cautioned in your responses.

600K not being able to get one a 1996 Toyota Camry, much less a 2009 Rav 4. 'UNCALLED FOR'?

Really?
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Nobody: 9:22am On Sep 10, 2014
starlingbawa:

600K not being able to get one a 1996 Toyota Camry, much less a 2009 Rav 4. 'UNCALLED FOR'?

Really?

You have a massive comprehension issue.

Go back and read my post again, maybe this time more slowly.

What I called out as being uncalled for is the attack and accusation that the OP is the "friend".

Stop being melodramatic, shiat ain't that serious.
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Nobody: 9:50am On Sep 10, 2014
chillex8:

IT IS NOT

There's nothing fishy about buying a car worth several millions for less than a million? From a total stranger ? In a filling station ? Then why did the op create this thread then if there's nothing fishy about it?
Smh are you sure you're alright?
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by starlingbawa(m): 9:51am On Sep 10, 2014
CityNG:

You have a massive comprehension issue.

Go back and read my post again, maybe this time more slowly.

What I called out as being uncalled for is the attack and accusation that the OP is the "friend".

Stop being melodramatic, shiat ain't that serious.

You are being paranoid and i'm going to ignore that!

Now, if you would observe closely, you'd see that i wrote those stuff in 'Pidgin English' because i meant it as a joke. You have also realised that i didn't do a response when she lashed out at me and that's because i noticed she didn't take too kindly to my joke(Though it was harsh on her).

I hope you 'GET' it now and by the way this is not a 'Vicious Circle'. As such, i humbly rest my case.
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Nobody: 10:45am On Sep 10, 2014
starlingbawa:

You are being paranoid and i'm going to ignore that!

Now, if you would observe closely, you'd see that i wrote those stuff in 'Pidgin English' because i meant it as a joke. You have also realised that i didn't do a response when she lashed out at me and that's because i noticed she didn't take too kindly to my joke(Though it was harsh on her).

I hope you 'GET' it now and by the way this is not a 'Vicious Circle'. As such, i humbly rest my case.

Nothing of the hogwash you wrote excuses your demonstrated lack of English language comprehension skills.
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by starlingbawa(m): 11:05am On Sep 10, 2014
CityNG:

Nothing of the hogwash you wrote excuses your demonstrated lack of English language comprehension skills.

Now, is it really necessary of you to insult me like you just did? Well, if it suits your ego, then you should go on and have a field day. I'm not going to be drawn into doing this stuff with you, nah! i'm not.

So, you go on and have the trophy for yourself.... I'm out!
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by chillex8(m): 11:07am On Sep 10, 2014
elbedso:
There's nothing fishy about buying a car worth several millions for less than a million? From a total stranger ? In a filling station ? Then why did the op create this thread then if there's nothing fishy about it?
Smh are you sure you're alright?

DON'T you dare insult me..

You asked me a question and I answered politely.
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Sep 10, 2014
starlingbawa:

Now, is it really necessary of you to insult me like you just did? Well, if it suits your ego, then you should go on and have a field day. I'm not going to be drawn into stuff with you, nah! i'm not.

So, you go on and have the trophy for yourself.... I'm out!

You continue to waffle about without addressing the issue.

And you said you were out before too.
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:05am On Sep 11, 2014
Op update the thread, guys are loosing focus, let's have another thing to argue about.
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Nobody: 8:38am On Sep 11, 2014
chillex8:

DON'T you dare insult me..

You asked me a question and I answered politely.

Lol guy chill the fuxk out

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by timbros(m): 10:25am On Sep 11, 2014
GAZZUZZ: Op update the thread, guys are loosing focus, let's have another thing to argue about.

Lol
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by rofemiguwa(f): 1:58pm On Sep 12, 2014
I had already directed the buyer to this thread, well she read through and didn't discuss her conclusions with us.

No more enquiries cos it is begining to look like I am jealous.

All I know is she is still cruising her car. She even drove past me today and refuse to give me a ride.

It is her money, her car, her life, her business.

My busybody ends on nairaland. I cannot call police for her.

The only thing I learnt in this thread. Don't buy cars online.
You can't prove it isn't stolen.
When I have saved enough for my own. I will walk into a car shop and get one.

Until she is caught or she sells it or reports it.
I have no further comment.
For now am the green eye monster already. Angry because I still dey jump bus.
So biko me no ask again or give advice again
Sefini
CityNG:

Look, I'm on your side but please stop saying that your friend did not buy that vehicle out of greed.

She paid an outlandishly small amount of money that is no commensurate with the level of vehicle. And to top if off she made the deal at a lay by.

Come on now.

I just have a request, for all things holy please come back and close this thread so we are not left in suspense.
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by nurey(m): 6:47pm On Sep 12, 2014
rofemiguwa: I had already directed the buyer to this thread, well she read through and didn't discuss her conclusions with us.

All I know is she is still cruising her car. She even drove past me today and refuse to give me a ride.

Sefini

As you know my sister, every disapointment is a blessing. God will lift you high and provide one for you.
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Nobody: 7:55am On Sep 13, 2014
rofemiguwa: I had already directed the buyer to this thread, well she read through and didn't discuss her conclusions with us.

Sefini
I've been following the progress of this thread quietly. One thing we Nigerians especially Nigerian women are known for is to tag anyone 'jealousy, enemy of progress, bad belle' especially if that fellow inquires for something hidden so as to help guard against sad stories (no pun intended).

Since your friend has ditched you and now tags you as 'enemy of progress' let her be with her car of circumstances. Time will tell if its a car of circumstance or a genuine buy (which I can bet an arm for).

NOTE: Its very well known that people would naturally love to maximize profits on any good/item put up for sale. So for anyone ridiculously selling a 2009 Rav4 toyota which is a hot selling car in North America due to its track record for such a silly low price should make me take to my heels with my heels touching the back of my head.

LAST WORD: I saw someone selling a black coloured registered 2005 RX330 Lexus for 1.8m and I saw people having mind to price it for 900K, Im naira. I was seriously shocked.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by naturally: 9:03am On Sep 13, 2014
nurey: I only have one thing to tell you, that car is stolen, a 1998 tokunbo rav 4 will go between 900k and 1.2m the nigerian use is that price.
The car is not a flooded or faulty one it is simply stolen.

Next step for your friend is to copy the VIN number and paste it in google hopefully a missing or stolen car of that type will come up if they have not actually tampered with the vin and engine number. If you know a police officer beTter report.

Your friend could be accused of murder because those police know how to tell tale of the owner was shot and disposed of the car.

Police is your friend grin
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by erico2k2(m): 9:36am On Sep 18, 2014
born2fuck: I read laugh and tire, you will understand the different between a case or robbery and a case of yahoo yahoo. The limit when it comes to robbery may end your life instantly or abandoned you in kirikiri without even make court trial. Abeg pray make u no enter police gbeke when it comes to this kind of tin, ur tongue fit make dey dispose U or make dem travel you over night, travel over night means kill dem arm robbers because they will label you as automatic arm robber and you will be in their cells, eat with them, do all with them, if you overdo, guy you are on your own, even by the time dey arrest ur prominent Dad or Mum, na u go say make dem no overdo, remember, not just Nigeria police will handle this case, it will be transfer to SARS in elewe eran or Panti where shooting of criminals with immediate effect means nothing to them
Guy I feel you but like I said it depends on who is talking as per my dad, I don big pass who E dad dey look after,I B Saffi pikin U think U av Bad police in Lagos eh? lol come to Delta and Deal with JTF then you will know the Police are truly your friends grin grin grin grin.These guys no get Cell, nah straight to Container grin grin.Like I said b4, Slippers Get Size
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Dec 07, 2014
rofemiguwa:
I had already directed the buyer to this thread, well she read through and didn't discuss her conclusions with us.

Sefini
so ''KillJoy'' lol.. whats the situation now, months after?
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by San2ski(m): 5:35pm On Dec 08, 2014
Op,
True true na bad belle dhey worry you. You dey jealous ur friend. See as you dey grin from ear to ear because everybody says "it's a stolen vehicle". It may not be. I hv a feeling that this ur post is to 'smite' ur friend. Na my mind I talk o. If you wan, go call olopa grin

Meanwhile, (if you're still friends with "ur friend"wink abeg help me tell am to upload the vehicle here. The mileage and engine pics too. I wan buy am, even if I use am for only this Xmas form for my former babe, eke fit come carry me, no qualms.
I dey wait grin grin grin grin
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by rinw: 6:59pm On Sep 27, 2015
How did the story end?
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by mastro: 7:59am On Sep 28, 2015
Assuming this is true, and not just someone sounding out whether it's a good idea to buy a stolen vehicle
Why are people giving a criminal advice? thought this was supposed to be a car discussion forum.

Yoruba would say that the receiver of stolen goods is the true criminal. In this case that's the obvious truth.

As to being jealous of your colleague, same Yoruba would say "every day is for the thief, one day is for the owner"
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by ryanfletcher: 7:50am On Sep 30, 2015
atikubaba:
copy the VIN and search police website to see if it matches any stolen vehicle's.
lol,funny you,do Nigeria police have website an even if they do,does it even function? do they even have an IT tech to update their data bases? sorry to ridicule them sha buy just telling it like it is
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Twensons(m): 3:45pm On Oct 01, 2015
I think the best to buy cars via Jiji ---> http://link.ac/4ZYq26
Meet with the seller face to face and only after all has checked, give money.
In this case you will not be cheated on. Moreover, Jiji check sellers.
P.S. Happy independence day Nigeria!
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by seedsower(m): 11:40pm On Oct 01, 2015
Instead of going to police park the car somewhere and run away or better still wait until you are caught with it, none of these two options will be as bad as reporting to police.

Ensure you know exactly where to get the seller( you will definitely need the info sooner or later)

#Follow my advice and thank me later.[/color]
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by abatically(m): 4:23am On Oct 02, 2015
ryanfletcher:
lol,funny you,do Nigeria police have website an even if they do,does it even function? do they even have an IT tech to update their data bases? sorry to ridicule them sha buy just telling it like it is

Guy u must be from the stone age. Nigeria police don upgrade tey tey. Still lots of work to be done and there are lots of bad eggs, but how can u ever think NPF would not have a common thing as a website when secondary school students have websites?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. / Is it Alright To Drive A Newly-bought Car Without A License Plate In Nigeria? / How Much Did U Spend On Fuel This Week?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.