Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:53 AM

My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) (42329 Views)

How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / Man Selling Expired Yogurt In Kaduna Dealt With (photos) / 17 Health Benefits Of Egg Plant (garden Egg) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 8:50pm On Sep 04, 2014
grin

The other day at the Corps Members' Lodge, I was bored, lonely, and hungry. There was nothing to eat basically because no one was around to cook. We were all away, enjoying our break (school break) which is still on, technically (no thanks to the Ebola outbreak).

...so I decided to make a pot of soup. Being an adventurer and someone that loves to try new things, I decided to cook "something" I've never done before; something out of my imagination. The idea of garden egg-cabbage-egusi soup played on my mind's screen...

Enjoy as you read through the thread...

Name of Dish: Garden egg, Cabbage, and Egusi Soup,

Location: The Corps Members' Lodge in a Remote Village in Ogbadibo LGA, Benue State,

Market (where items were bought): Enugu's Obollo-Afor Market,

Cook: Tonye001.

INGREDIENTS:

Clean water, salt, dry pepper, some cubes of maggi, palm oil, garden eggs, grounded egusi, cabbage, crayfish, bitter leaves, onions, fresh fish (iced), ogba (or ogiri).

....to be continued

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 8:59pm On Sep 04, 2014
The Fish: Fresh, steamed, and fried...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by Richhommie(m): 9:03pm On Sep 04, 2014
Looking real spicy.
Really makin me hungry.

Some ftc tinz .
Wow after one month and still made fp diaris God o cheesy

4 Likes

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 9:04pm On Sep 04, 2014
The ogba (as I know it), bitter leaves (washed), and egusi

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 9:07pm On Sep 04, 2014
The garden egg...

1 Like

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 9:16pm On Sep 04, 2014
...Continued

PREPARATION PROCEDURE

1. Ensure that there is enough kerosine in your stove,

2. Wash your pots, spoons, and other utensils to be used,

2. Prepare the fish and wash it thoroughly,

3. Put the washed fish into a clean pot; add some water and place the pot on moderate heat,

4. Add your sliced onion(s), some salt, dry pepper, and a cube of maggi,

5. Allow to heat for 15-20 minutes..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 9:20pm On Sep 04, 2014
While waiting for the fish to be done:

6. Wash bitter leaves and drain the bitter juice until the desired level of bitterness is achieved,

7. Wash the garden eggs,

8. Carefully grate the garden eggs,

9. Wash cabbage thoroughly and slice it into desired form...
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 9:36pm On Sep 04, 2014
When the fish is done:

10. Remove steamed fish from the water and set the water aside,

11. Fry the fish with groundnut or palm oil (I used palm oil),

12. Place a clean dry pot on the stove,

13. Add a moderate amount of palm oil and allow to heat,

14. Pour the grounded egusi into the hot oil and stir properly,

15. Add the water you used to steam the fish and stir again,

16. Add some more water until the desired quantity is gotten,

17. Add the crayfish and spice (salt, dry pepper, maggi)...

CAUTION!!: Do not forget that the water used in steaming the fish is already spiced.

18. Allow to boil for about 6-7 minutes (stir every 2-3 minutes),

19. Add ogba, stir and allow to boil for another 5-6 minutes,

20. Add garden egg, stir and allow to boil for about 2 minutes,

21. Add cabbage and washed bitter leaves and stir thoroughly,

22. Add the fried fish and allow to boil for about 1-2 minutes.

23. Food is ready; carefully remove your soup from heat.. cool

24. Serve with eba, pounded yam, semovita, wheat, amala, etc...

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 9:42pm On Sep 04, 2014
My cooking environment..(I had to make do with what was available at the lodge),

The water I used to steam the fish...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 9:44pm On Sep 04, 2014
I ate mine with eba and a can of malt... wink

78 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by Justeenaleo(f): 9:56pm On Sep 04, 2014
Wooooooooooooooow
Looks appetizing
Good job

12 Likes

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 10:04pm On Sep 04, 2014
MY FINDINGS AND CONCLUSION

1. The soup was thick and heavy. This may be due to the grated garden eggs, the ogba, and of course, the egusi...

2. The soup had a "seedy" appearance which was obviously due to the garden eggs used,

3. There was a unique, pleasing taste the garden eggs offered, it gave the egusi a different taste from the usual,

4. The overall taste of the soup was FANTASTIC! (as confirmed by my colleagues).

Conclusion: I may not be wrong if I call myself an Experimentalist. I love trying out new things...just for the fun of it.

My garden eggs, cabbage, and egusi soup stunt was a huge success. In fact, one of my colleagues had to eat it twice that evening!

I encourage fellow Nairalanders to give this a try at home, I'm sure you all would enjoy it.

Nairalanders, over to you... Your comments please...

Moderators, kindly help me push this to the Frontpage, please... Thanks, in advance.. smiley

58 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 10:04pm On Sep 04, 2014
Justeenaleo: Wooooooooooooooow
Looks appetizing
Good job

Lolz... Thank you. smiley

1 Like

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 10:06pm On Sep 04, 2014
Richhommie: Looking real spicy.
Really makin me hungry.

Lolz... smiley
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by sholay2011(m): 11:56pm On Sep 04, 2014
OP try sha.

1 Like

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by obi4eze(m): 7:09am On Sep 05, 2014
cool cool

1 Like

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 7:36am On Sep 05, 2014
obi4eze: cool cool

wink
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 7:49am On Sep 05, 2014
sholay2011: OP try sha.

Abi o...

Thanks Sir...
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by alphalpha(m): 8:09am On Sep 05, 2014
l will have this someday.

2 Likes

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by Neroanna(f): 5:17pm On Sep 05, 2014
Wow op..good job. Will try this out. cheesy
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 5:38pm On Sep 05, 2014
Neroanna: Wow op..good job. Will try this out. cheesy

Great!! Bonne chance at that ma'am..

Waiting to hear back from you... smiley
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by Slimwoody(m): 6:27pm On Sep 05, 2014
Nice one there. Looks delicious.

2 Likes

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 7:45pm On Sep 05, 2014
Slimwoody: Nice one there. Looks delicious.

Thanks brother...
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 8:37pm On Sep 08, 2014
Nairalanders, comments!!!

1 Like

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by tpia1: 9:54pm On Sep 08, 2014
so, you grated the garden egg instead of mashing it?

also, I've never tried it with egusi before, sounds interesting.

3 Likes

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by Pavore9: 2:49pm On Sep 09, 2014
Cabbage and bitterleaf..OP, u are surely creative! l remember when l ran out of soup condiments here in Kenya, l assembled cabbage, kale, fish (titus) tomato, crayfish, carrot, ground uziza, onions, pepper & palm oil, ate it with semolina..tasty!

5 Likes

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by SugaryBelle(f): 3:16pm On Sep 09, 2014
Wow! It looks realy delicious.
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 10:27pm On Sep 09, 2014
tpia1: so, you grated the garden egg instead of mashing it?

also, I've never tried it with egusi before, sounds interesting.

Yea, I grated the garden eggs...

Trust me, the garden eggs and egusi mixture was the BOMB.. I wouldn't mind repeating the process sef..(my wife would love to have a taste of it....she no gree me rest since I gist her about the soup)..

grin

4 Likes

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 10:31pm On Sep 09, 2014
Pavore9: Cabbage and bitterleaf..OP, u are surely creative! l remember when l ran out of soup condiments here in Kenya, l assembled cabbage, kale, fish (titus) tomato, crayfish, carrot, ground uziza, onions, pepper & palm oil, ate it with semolina..tasty!

Lolz.. Yea, I just love trying new things...

If I begin to gist you of the food mixtures wey I don chop just to get a feel of the unique tastes wey them fit offer eh...lolz..(Story for another day).

I trust that you are OK over there at Kenya?.. smiley

3 Likes

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by Davidolives(m): 9:41am On Sep 10, 2014
good one bro you might actually end up a good chef
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 12:39pm On Sep 10, 2014
Davidolives: good one bro you might actually end up a good chef

Mercie... smiley
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by mykindofperfect(f): 7:58am On Sep 11, 2014
smileywould definitely try it

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Catfish Soup A Broke Nairalander Prepared. / Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home / What Are You Eating/Drinking Right Now?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.