Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,501 members, 7,781,522 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:06 PM

On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. (46774 Views)

Rebuttal: On Psquare And Why They Will Never Break Into The US Market / Akon Signs Wizkid,psquare And Tubaba / Psquare And 2face - Possibility (with lyrics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 12:26pm On Sep 05, 2014
_

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by hensben(m): 12:27pm On Sep 05, 2014
Shehucom: Leave those guys alone joor...Let them do their stuff, dat they are trying to imitate usher and d likes is non of or business. By the way we are succeeding as a nation becos we've been doing wat the whites does
succeeding? bro we should try to sell our genre of song to the world instead of copying.

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Cwaya(m): 12:29pm On Sep 05, 2014
gbenga4sure: They wanna make the song like micheal jackson song.*in 9ice voice-photocopy ko easy*.Let them be theirself and not try to be like micheal jackson simply because they were priviledge to meet micheal jacksons family because of their single(personally)doesnt mean they should try been or doing like him.LET THEM BE THEMSELF AND THEY WILL SURELY GO HEIGHTS.

Who told you they arent theirselves??
Who told you they are not going places

Name Nigeria artists whose album has sold upto 8million copies??
Remind me the artist please, coz i can only remember Psquare (Game Over)...

They are simply Good.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by hensben(m): 12:30pm On Sep 05, 2014
lightheart: Spot on!

And if I now say Fela remains Naija's best nko?
My point, everyone's got their choice of a best.
yeah! fela is a legend...he is unique, thats what i use in rating artiste first 'uniqueness'

2 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by mikeljims(m): 12:32pm On Sep 05, 2014
bigass: Its funny you Judged and condemned Psquare on just one song. To you because of this song Psquare's carrier finished and can never make it again. funnily, i like the song.

please do me a favour whenever you go to a club and they are playing chop my money, alingo, personally, testimony etc please sit down, dont dance just say in your mind its over for Psquare.

Im sure if you release a song, your father wont even listen

Ppl like you are just so irritating! The fact you like a musician doesn't mean if he didn't get something right, you shouldn't indicate your displeasure at it! Why else are you a fan if you can't assess his work and tell how you feel or if you did assessed it and keep it to yourself he'll become a witch and get to know your thought

And even worse is that people like you take to insult to drive home your point like saying "even if you sing, I'm sure your father wouldn't listen" you really are dumb and a big ass-hole just as your moniker suggest...NONSENSE!

4 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Ifewilshere(m): 12:32pm On Sep 05, 2014
Johnnoah1st: dis small kids of nairaland self, anytime dey manage load recharge card and mtn dash dem free mb, na to rush come nairaland come post trash, while forgetting to connect there brain with there hands before posting something on public forum.
You're a testimony.

3 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by schumastic(m): 12:34pm On Sep 05, 2014
criosly i dont knw wa dis fool s posting or is it jus me or do som1 els fil da dis psquare song s much beta dan dos national anthem same kind of song they kip releasing evri year....abeg if e pain u, e no hard jus enta studio do ur own kind of music shikena..schuma said so tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Bigsteveg(m): 12:34pm On Sep 05, 2014
bigass: Its funny you Judged and condemned Psquare on just one song. To you because of this song Psquare's carrier finished and can never make it again. funnily, i like the song.

please do me a favour whenever you go to a club and they are playing chop my money, alingo, personally, testimony etc please sit down, dont dance just say in your mind its over for Psquare.

Im sure if you release a song, your father wont even listen

It's unfair for u to take it too personal by involving his father, Dats unfeminine of u. Perhaps everybody is entitled to his or her own opinion same as RedEboe. We all can't sleep and face d same direction, d moment we all agree on something means we are not relevant again.

I have not listened/watch d song, majority of people I knew already critised d song and am not in d mood for it again.

Critisizing is good, it helps keep that person on his or her toes.

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by gbenga4sure(m): 12:36pm On Sep 05, 2014
Cwaya:

They are simply Good.
.Dont quote me wrong,they were ONCE themselves.But no more
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 05, 2014
b4 us citizen gain ground in is street not to talk of d whole us he/she knws wat dey pass through not 2 say som1 not from d hood (rememba wat fity did 2 edris) he won't use 1 week b4 dey gun him down b4 u can escape not bein killed as a undaground rapper u most pass through a tough gang like
Or part of gang like

Almighty Black P. Stone Nation (People)
Almighty Vice Lord Nation (People)
Four Corner Hustlers
Black Disciples (Folk)
Black Guerilla Family
Bloods
Black P. Stones (Jungles)
Bounty Hunter Bloods
Double II Set
Pirus
Sex Money Murda
United Blood Nation
Crips
East Nashville Crips
Du Roc Crips
Grape Street Watts Crips
Rollin' 30s Harlem Crips
Rollin 60's Neighborhood Crips
Venice Shoreline Crips
D.C. Blacks
Gangster Disciples (Folk)
OutLaw Gangster Disciples
Hidden Valley Kings
KUMI 415
Mickey Cobras (People)
Philadelphia Black Mafia
Zoe Pound Gang
U not a part of d fed u not with tough gang in d us u going no where
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by dannyfillz(m): 12:37pm On Sep 05, 2014
Dat is hw u guys condemn 2baba new album
Now its psquare's turn
If dem no do am well why u no kuku go an release ur own song
Useless people undecided

3 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Bigsteveg(m): 12:38pm On Sep 05, 2014
Cwaya:

They are simply Good.

So game over sold 8 million copies!!! One day someone will tell u ur mum is not ur mother and u'll believe without processing it with ur brain. grin

2 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by RFella(m): 12:39pm On Sep 05, 2014
lightheart:

@ the bolded, Ruggedy Baba is still very much around. He did a massive collabo with EedrisAbdulkareem and MI off the new Jimmy Jatt's album. Baba still dey vibe.

Oh...nice one then
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Taidi(m): 12:40pm On Sep 05, 2014
Weda d song brain or not...all d same..dm don sing nd release am
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by slap1(m): 12:41pm On Sep 05, 2014
Watched the video. Complete rubbish. Senseless lyrics and all. P-Square is above that video. Girls hopping their hips and P-Square over doing break dance.
I won't watch that video again.

2 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Clinton594(m): 12:41pm On Sep 05, 2014
Lilimax: Does the Okoye twins say they want to break into the US undecided.
Just asking...

Swetie oh help me ask this fool again abeg

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by mako007(m): 12:43pm On Sep 05, 2014
RedEboe: Till date I have been unable to watch Psquare's Ejeajo music video from begining to end for no other reason than the fact that i find that video/song utterly disgraceful.

Most devoted/diehard Psquare fans feel the same way too, but many will not say a word; some keep on replaying Ejeajo, hoping the song will eventually grow on them...its not happening. 

Psquare has released its first major flop and the inclusion of American rapper T.I will not save them this time around.

The Ejeajo song sounded below average, ordinary, nothing catchy, no rhythm and to sum it all up, totally tasteless. It seems as though the sole purpose of this song was just to feature T.I and break into the American market. 

I can bet my very last kobo that any American (Black) who's opportuned to watch Ejeajo video will laugh off his seat saying, "Who are these African booty scratchers trying too hard to sound like us and dance better than Usher?"
I felt the same way watching Peter Okoye putting in so much "gra gra" into his dance moves.

But on a serious note, about Nigerian artistes wanting to break into the American market; do these Nigerian artistes think that the Jay Zs, P Diddys and Dr Dre's will sit back and watch Nigerian music break into US Hip hop market? Especially in an America where music and sports are the few things black Americans can really hold on to. So they (Black American artistes) will allow some black African musician to come in and steal their domestic market share?

Nigerian music is already big in many African countries like Kenya,Zambia,Ghana and even South Africa. Do we think indigenous artistes and music promoters in these African countries are happy with Nigerians dominating their respective music scenes? 

Why will Black Americans not stay proactive and stop Nigerian music from gaining foothold in their market?

Now here's the truth,someone should tell Psquare that its time to go back to the drawing board and re-invent themselves. I don't know the duo's football age but i'm guessing they are in their mid thirties. When dancing musicians start growing older or maturing, they concentrate more on the quality of their music, where more matured dance steps are incorporated. 'Matured dance steps' here simply means slow but sleeker dance moves, just like USHER in GOOD KISSER. And definitely not the 'gra gra' Peter Okoye was showcasing in Ejeajo, epecially to a lousy song.

I think it's time the Okoye twins take a break from music for some time; perhaps they can go concentrate on their respective marriages or try to mentor younger musicians with the ability to sing and dance. 

After a few years, Psquare can return with a new style and sound. 

For now,Psquare has lost it and i hope their closest fans and admirers tell them this truth before it's too late. 
 I  thought you were making sense until ...
RedEboe:
Remember Dbanj?
really? Then I knew u didn't knw poo bout entertainment .

5 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by hensben(m): 12:44pm On Sep 05, 2014
illugun:

I am not saying that people do not like Tuface but currently Psquare beats all of them including Tuface. Psquare still command highest fans both online and offline. Fact!
yeah i agree with you, justin bibier is the hottest artiste currently but bruno mars is better than him...its all about packaging sha
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Emeca: 12:46pm On Sep 05, 2014
RedEboe:

Till date I have been unable to watch Psquare's Ejeajo music video from begining to end for no other reason than the fact that i find that video/song utterly disgraceful.

*i had to shortened ur OP to avoid an unnecessarily long post*

I think u ar getting ahead of urself. How did u come up with d theory dat they intended breaking into American market by featuring T.I?? Personally, i dont think so. First reason is down to d name of song, its not sumtin an American can easily remember in a hurry. They have done collabs with Akon, Rick Ross, and its all part of networking and boosting their image. They know what they are doing. They are no longer kids just trying to imitate Usher back in day and even though their dance is more mechanical dan fluid, i believe they have recognized their niche - AFRO HIP-HOP and are sticking with it. Every other tin is an effort to BOOST THEIR BRAND and name in d African continent and elsewhere.

Mind u with d level of mediocrity they all display in their works, no Nigerian artiste can break into American market.

#my2koboTho

5 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Climax4: 12:46pm On Sep 05, 2014
I wonder when we nigerians will start to be patriotic appreciating what we have and start encouraging our selves.nothing wey man do wey people no go talk if u do good them go talk if u do bad them go also talk. ooo! 9ija. Abeg Psuare make una continue getting square dey go notin do una. Oso ndi owe ndi

3 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Dminister(m): 12:46pm On Sep 05, 2014
That's why I love 2face more than any other nigerian artists in the africa scene. Go and listen to his new songs titled d following: I need a kiss, let somebody love you, hate what you do to me and close to where you are in his new album titled the ascension. He is simply more than the best in africa as a whole. His style of music doesn't change and that makes him a true africa legend.

4 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by TrackCee: 12:48pm On Sep 05, 2014
While the song/video might not be their greatest effort, your analysis of the matter is extremely shallow.

Your paragraph below reveals a lot about your skewed perception of the world:

But on a serious note, about Nigerian artistes wanting to break into the American market; do these Nigerian artistes think that the Jay Zs, P Diddys and Dr Dre's will sit back and watch Nigerian music break into US Hip hop market? Especially in an America where music and sports are the few things black Americans can really hold on to. So they (Black American artistes) will allow some black African musician to come in and steal their domestic market share?

I'm not quite sure if you are of the opinion that the music industry here in the U.S is equivalent to the Mafia, but that only indicates a lack of insight on your part.

I have known of P-Square since they were called "Smooth Criminals" (days when many people felt it was uncool to listen to Naija music).

While they might not be the most "original" artists in the world, one thing they have done consistently is prove people like you wrong. They have come a very long way with extreme hard work, and scaled many hurdles.

It is safe to say they conquered the Nigerian market, then conquered the African market. What do you imagine any forward thinking and ambitious person would have as the next agenda? Yup! you guessed it (i hope).

Statistically, it is also safe to say there is only a very minimal chance they will break into the mainstream American market.
However, this would not be as a result of the content of your analysis, or the lack thereof.

10 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Emeca: 12:49pm On Sep 05, 2014
hensben: yeah i agree with you, justin bibier is the hottest artiste currently but bruno mars is better than him...its all about packaging sha

justin who?? Am not dat into rap music bt am sure Eminem is still alive.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Cwaya(m): 12:49pm On Sep 05, 2014
UNLEASHED: I didn't bother watching the music video twice.
It's nonsense in the literal sense of it. They can feature 2 pac for all I care

hahaha
Why you come they para!
They beg u make u listen to the song!
JEALOUSY!!!
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by natureblack(m): 12:51pm On Sep 05, 2014
didadavid: Lets read the latest on Oyakhilome. Oyakhilome's daughter's bikini party is what's trending now. Read the gist HERE
Nigga please,this is solely a P-square thing.

Go to religion or celebrities section to post that shyte of yours.

NOTE: pls ensure the pictures are included in the post lest nobody would click on that link of yours.

Buh get to think of it,why would I want to see just a lady on Bikini when am not through with downloading all the pics Onila posted on a thread titled "African women with deadly curves"

It's a must see thread for guys
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 12:53pm On Sep 05, 2014
natureblack: Nigga please,this is solely a P-square thing.

Go to religion or celebrities section to post that shyte of yours.

NOTE: pls ensure the pictures are included in the post lest nobody would click on that link of yours.

Buh get to think of it,why would I want to see just a lady on Bikini when am not through with downloading all the pics Onila posted on a thread titled "African woman with deadly curves"

It's a must see thread for guys

Thanks bro.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 12:53pm On Sep 05, 2014
b1327: b4 us citizen gain ground in is street not to talk of d whole us he/she knws wat dey pass through not 2 say som1 not from d hood (rememba wat fity did 2 edris) he won't use 1 week b4 dey gun him down b4 u can escape not bein killed as a undaground rapper u most pass through a tough gang like
Or part of gang like

Almighty Black P. Stone Nation (People)
Almighty Vice Lord Nation (People)
Four Corner Hustlers
Black Disciples (Folk)
Black Guerilla Family
Bloods
Black P. Stones (Jungles)
Bounty Hunter Bloods
Double II Set
Pirus
Sex Money Murda
United Blood Nation
Crips
East Nashville Crips
Du Roc Crips
Grape Street Watts Crips
Rollin' 30s Harlem Crips
Rollin 60's Neighborhood Crips
Venice Shoreline Crips
D.C. Blacks
Gangster Disciples (Folk)
OutLaw Gangster Disciples
Hidden Valley Kings
KUMI 415
Mickey Cobras (People)
Philadelphia Black Mafia
Zoe Pound Gang
U not a part of d fed u not with tough gang in d us u going no where

Fam, turn off your TV and stop spouting nonsense. What has gangs got to do with being a bad gimmick of the original? P-square and other naija artists can break into the US market because there's basically no originality in naija music - and no quintessential naija sound - just utter noise for feel good music. And apart from being a bad imitation, a lot of the beats and concept sound the same. Sometimes, you can't even differentiate one artist from the other because it's more or less the same thing.

Caribbean music is big in America, though it might not be as big as it used to be. Fela's music has been sampled so many times by American hip-hop artists since as long as I can remember - even way before the broadway show. Naija music just lacks originality and international appeal - it has nothing to do with gang ties. Gangsters don't buy music!

3 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by repogirl(f): 12:54pm On Sep 05, 2014
Its not today, psquare started a decline, they have been remixing their past songs and using them to sing new songs for a while now....even their videos are becoming to look the same....

OP, your critic is quite harsh but right, they need a total turn around, they need to re invent, maybe work with different songwriters, producers even directors.... Maybe bros Jude needs to make less creative decisions sef......i wish them the best sha...

besides why is it that when Nigerian artistes want to break into the foreign market, they change their style and begin to try too hard, forgetting its their style that got them where they are. Be 100 percent African, its who you are and what you know.

4 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 12:56pm On Sep 05, 2014
Johnnoah1st: dis small kids of nairaland self, anytime dey manage load recharge card and mtn dash dem free mb, na to rush come nairaland come post trash, while forgetting to connect there brain with there hands before posting something on public forum.

guy u wicked oo.hahaha connect brain n hand...shey na usb hotspot ni
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Cwaya(m): 12:57pm On Sep 05, 2014
gbenga4sure: .Dont quote me wrong,they were ONCE themselves.But no more

Even then, People say they copy, but still they keep breaking through.

That the EjeAjo song is not Kpangolo as naija wants it doesnt mean people dont like it.

Millions of people will still like it.

One man's food is another man's poison.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Kingdom Wins Nigerian Idol 2021 (Season 6) / 10 Nigerian Artistes Who Defy The Usual Lyrics Of Butts And Boobs / RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.