Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,934 members, 7,799,158 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:14 PM

The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS (6993 Views)

Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin / Is This Picture A True Reflection Of The Plight Of The Unemployed Graduate. / Entry Level Pay @ait/raypower? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by Nobody: 10:37pm On Sep 08, 2014
Ishilove:
That is beside the point

sobastical:
Grammar error detector, Weldon sire as d mata no concern you na

JuanDeDios:
Thank you.

ndidibabe: now that you have corrected him, can you rest?

You guys are part of what's wrong with our Academic system. Why not remove the pride and just accept the correction? or at least let someone else learn that "staff" is actually the correct way of spelling it? Instead of putting him down that way.

Later everyone will start screaming at the failure rate of our secondary school students, when we actually indirectly encourage them to fail.

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by JuanDeDios: 11:15am On Sep 09, 2014
masonkz:

You guys are part of what's wrong with our Academic system. Why not remove the pride and just accept the correction? or at least let someone else learn that "staff" is actually the correct way of spelling it? Instead of putting him down that way.

Later everyone will start screaming at the failure rate of our secondary school students, when we actually indirectly encourage them to fail.
The problem I have with most correcters of grammar is this - they usually have poor of knowledge of what they set out to do since they don't appreciate the fine distinctions and registers of English grammar. They're usually cripples pretending to be strikers.

While I will concede that staffs may not be acceptable by some in strict formal writing, it is perfectly okay to use in informal writing such as we do here. I can use staffs in a thesis and get away with it - remember I said only some holdouts will question it - since it is widely accepted in contemporary usage.

1 – Encarta Dictionaries
staff 1

staff [staf]
noun (plural staffs)
1. workers: people who are employed by a company or an individual employer
2. body within larger group: a particular group of employees within a company, institution, or organization
• the teaching staff
3. U.K. Australia New Zealand EDUCATION Same as faculty (sense 3)

Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

2 – Dictionary.com
staff1
noun, plural staffs for 1–5, 9; staves
[steyvz] (Show IPA) orstaffs for 6–8, 10, 11.
a group of persons, as employees, charged with carrying out the workof an establishment or executing some undertaking.
a group of assistants to a manager, superintendent, or executive.
a member of a staff.

3 – American Heritage Dictionary
staff 1 (stăf)
n. pl. staffs or staves (stāvz)

3. pl. staffs

a. A group of assistants to a manager, executive, or other person in authority.
b. A group of military officers assigned to assist a commanding officer in an executive or advisory capacity.
c. The personnel who carry out a specific enterprise: the nursing staff of a hospital.

Now, grammar is dynamic. Thus, while you will find dictionaries that agree with you, I can assure you that in another edition of the same dictionary in another 10 years you will see staffs.

Now, again, all this is beside the point. This thread was opened to highlight an important malaise ailing our society. Nitpicking grammar on it seems quite foolish to me. There are countless threads in Nairaland where they do grammar. If you're concerned about secondary school failure rates and think staffs might be responsible or be a contributory factor you can open a thread and staff it to explain that staff not staffs is correct grammar - if I see the thread I will come in (as a non-staff) and offer my insights as to why you may not be absolutely right.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by s3nn2x(m): 12:28pm On Sep 09, 2014
^^^^
What's your point exactly?
Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by JuanDeDios: 12:43pm On Sep 09, 2014
s3nn2x: ^^^^
I don't think you're tall enough to see it. The person I was replying should.

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by JuanDeDios: 12:45pm On Sep 09, 2014
s3nn2x: ^^^^
Oh, you're the guy that made the "correction" initially! I see. A pity you can't comprehend my post and see the point. I suggest you read it again and again.
Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by s3nn2x(m): 1:19pm On Sep 09, 2014
JuanDeDios:
Oh, you're the guy that made the "correction" initially! I see. A pity you can't comprehend my post and see the point. I suggest you read it again and again.
grin grin grin grin
No be fight na.
Why are you are taking this personally?
Since when did it become a crime to correct someone?
I saw an error.....it was not meant to be an insult....
Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by sleekytoolz(f): 1:38pm On Sep 09, 2014
Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by JuanDeDios: 5:23pm On Sep 09, 2014
s3nn2x:
grin grin grin grin
No be fight na.
Why are you are taking this personally?
Since when did it become a crime to correct someone?
I saw an error.....it was not meant to be an insult....

It wasn't an "error" - that is the point that is flying over your head and that of sleekytoolz. Nowhere in my post did I take anything personal - I merely demonstrated your folly. I proved to you that staffs is not an error. It seems you have comprehension problems. But I agree I get pissed off by the army of grammar "correctors" who don't know their onions who litter Nairaland - cripples pretending to be strikers.

sleekytoolz:
All this grammar because u don't want to take correction sad?
My post flew over this one's head. Pele.
Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by s3nn2x(m): 5:53pm On Sep 09, 2014
JuanDeDios:

It wasn't an "error" - that is the point that is flying over your head and that of sleekytoolz. Nowhere in my post did I take anything personal - I merely demonstrated your folly. I proved to you that staffs is not an error. It seems you have comprehension problems. But I agree I get pissed off by the army of grammar "correctors" who don't know their onions who litter Nairaland - cripples pretending to be strikers.

My post flew over this one's head. Pele.
You are just ranting like a pregnant virgin.
I don't have time for irritants.
You are not making sense....
Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by JuanDeDios: 6:00pm On Sep 09, 2014
s3nn2x:
How poetic! Next time use a dictionary before "correcting" grammar or leave grammar for the experts. wink
Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by peziz(f): 6:31pm On Sep 09, 2014
Mehn.. I'm so enjoying the show grammar warlords are putting up here. grin grin cool ooh how I love Nairaland tongue

Op Pele, your post has been forgotten embarassed

Give me more grammar I'm totally loving this after a boring day.
Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by s3nn2x(m): 7:22pm On Sep 09, 2014
JuanDeDios:
How poetic! Next time use a dictionary before "correcting" grammar or leave grammar for the experts. wink
Abicheesy

You win!

Just dont quote me again. You are very correct. You just hit the nail on the head....you are a guru, you just had me schooled....even what you are yet to say and what you are yet to think...you are right!!!
Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by JuanDeDios: 8:21pm On Sep 09, 2014
s3nn2x:
Abicheesy

You win!

Just dont quote me again. You are very correct. You just hit the nail on the head....you are a guru, you just had me schooled....even what you are yet to say and what you are yet to think...you are right!!!
Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by sobastical: 10:15pm On Sep 09, 2014
masonkz:

Okay sir
Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by JuanDeDios: 10:44pm On Sep 09, 2014
s3nn2x:
Abicheesy

You win!

Typing smartass stuff doesn't doesn't make you right. Or smart.
Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by Nobody: 3:51am On Sep 10, 2014
s3nn2x:

How is he not making sense?
Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by s3nn2x(m): 9:57am On Sep 10, 2014
cool
Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by s3nn2x(m): 9:58am On Sep 10, 2014
JuanDeDios:
Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by timilinda(f): 8:19am On Sep 26, 2014
Fourwinds:
y d instalment. did she sell electronic gadgets to AIT.?

Dearie, e reach to ask ooo!
Re: The Plight Of AIT/RAYPOWER STAFFS by Ishilove: 11:31am On Sep 26, 2014
JuanDeDios:
Lol. Abeg e don do na cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Job Vacancies At First Excelsia Professional Services / Names Of Recruiting Companies In Lagos / MTN Recruiting Channel Development Administrator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.