Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,792 members, 7,802,519 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:45 PM

Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? (1167 Views)

Question On 'We The SS Want Resource Control' / Resource Control Is Not Feasible / Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by namun(f): 10:15pm On Oct 28, 2008
imagine a nigeria where every state is developing at its own pace. i believe a sovereign national conference is d only way to get there. first, it would solve the niger delta crises. i am not from the niger delta but i believe niger delta should control their resources. i can bet if the north finds oil today they will opt to get out of nigeria. so what do you think?
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by QuotaSyste(m): 10:23pm On Oct 28, 2008
Tell them, but the ostrichs of this forum will still bury their heads in sand as they learnt from their fathers and tell you otherwise.
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by ikeyman00(m): 10:26pm On Oct 28, 2008
they will rape more women, drink all day, drugged up just like south-africans
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by namun(f): 10:33pm On Oct 28, 2008
south africa has at least put it to judicious use. but dont u think its not fair on the present oil producing regions. cos im almost sure d noth would not share
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by asha80(m): 11:15pm On Oct 28, 2008
The northern oligarchy will NEVER allow it to happen.
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by pie1ect(m): 12:18am On Oct 29, 2008
I believe the Niger Delta people should have full control of their resources, same as other regions have control over what they produce and (presumably) pay the required royalty to the Federal government at the end of the day. They should have had control right from day one as is the case with any sane government.

But seriously, what problem will it solve now if full control were handed over to the ND regions abruptly?

At this point in time, it will create more problems than it will solve, because then the fight will be about which local govt. or community controls what. I have lived through two terrible "battles" between Itsekiris/Urhobos/Ijaws in Warri and anybody who lived there in the lates 90s' will tell you the same thing. The people in that region are ready to kill themselves over a loaf of bread (and I mean that literally). I don't know of any other place but I have personally lived in Warri and I should know what I'm saying.

I am from Akwa Ibom and we face the same issues (maybe not as devastating as what goes on in the creeks of Bayelsa/Rivers and Delta States). But believe me, the Niger Delta people will destroy themselves within 2-4 years if they are given full control of the Oil revenues now.

That is what should have happened in the first instance, the Federal government should never have had that much control over the resources in one particular region. They don't go haggling over places rich in Agricultural products or any other material for that matter, but they made the grave mistake of getting too involved in the Niger Delta and what we are seeing today is the consequence of that greed.

It will take a lot more than the Federal govt. giving control to the people of the Niger Delta, to clear the mess they've caused. It will require serious strategic planning which I doubt the people in Abuja are ready to contemplate at this time.

The damage has been done already. I believe the government should back off, though. But it should be done in stages and control handed back to the region in stages as well. They should set a time-frame, like "we want to make sure control is back in the hands of these people in 2012 or 2015" and then they start working towards that plan. The people though, should be made aware of this. It will help reduce the tension. By the time the people finally assume control of their resources, it won't come as a shock, because the transition would have been smoothly orchestrated.

If they decide to just hand over full control to the Niger Delta people, you won't like the consequences.
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by grafikdon: 12:35am On Oct 29, 2008
pie1ect:

I believe the Niger Delta people should have full control of their resources, same as other regions have control over what they produce and (presumably) pay the required royalty to the Federal government at the end of the day. They should have had control right from day one as is the case with any sane government.

But seriously, what problem will it solve now if full control were handed over to the ND regions abruptly?

At this point in time, it will create more problems than it will solve, because then the fight will be about which local govt. or community controls what. I have lived through two terrible "battles" between Itsekiris/Urhobos/Ijaws in Warri and anybody who lived there in the lates 90s' will tell you the same thing. The people in that region are ready to kill themselves over a loaf of bread (and I mean that literally). I don't know of any other place but I have personally lived in Warri and I should know what I'm saying.

I am from Akwa Ibom and we face the same issues (maybe not as devastating as what goes on in the creeks of Bayelsa/Rivers and Delta States). But believe me, the Niger Delta people will destroy themselves within 2-4 years if they are given full control of the Oil revenues now.

That is what should have happened in the first instance, the Federal government should never have had that much control over the resources in one particular region. They don't go haggling over places rich in Agricultural products or any other material for that matter, but they made the grave mistake of getting too involved in the Niger Delta and what we are seeing today is the consequence of that greed.

It will take a lot more than the Federal govt. giving control to the people of the Niger Delta, to clear the mess they've caused. It will require serious strategic planning which I doubt the people in Abuja are ready to contemplate at this time.

The damage has been done already. I believe the government should back off, though. But it should be done in stages and control handed back to the region in stages as well. They should set a time-frame, like "we want to make sure control is back in the hands of these people in 2012 or 2015" and then they start working towards that plan. The people though, should be made aware of this. It will help reduce the tension. By the time the people finally assume control of their resources, it won't come as a shock, because the transition would have been smoothly orchestrated.

If they decide to just hand over full control to the Niger Delta people, you won't like the consequences.

Agreed . . . nothing much to add
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by grafikdon: 12:42am On Oct 29, 2008
ikeyman00:

You scream "One Nigeria for life!!" from one corner of your mouth and use the most derogatory terms  to describe other  ethnic groups with the other corner of your mouth. I am beginning to suspect your vehement cry of "One NiggerArea" is a play on sarcasm. Don't complain when any of those brain dead imbecilic Nigerians call Igbo people fraudsters and architects of treachery.
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by ikeyman00(m): 1:13am On Oct 29, 2008

Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control Of Ttheir Resources, What Do You T
« #6 on: Today at 12:35:13 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: pie1ect on Today at 12:18:58 AM

Report to moderator Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mayhemproductions.org

grafikdon
Jamaica, Jew York

Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control Of Ttheir Resources, What Do You T
« #7 on: Today at 12:42:51 AM »

Quote from: ikeyman00 on Yesterday at 10:26:11 PM

You scream "One Nigeria for life!!" from one corner of your mouth and use the most derogatory terms to describe other ethnic groups with the other corner of your mouth. I am beginning to suspect your vehement cry of "One NiggerArea" is a play on sarcasm. Don't complain when any of those brain dead imbecilic Nigerians call Igbo people fraudsters and architects of treachery.

na woo
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by citizenY(m): 11:11am On Oct 30, 2008
@Grafikdon,

Make you no mind am. The guy is taxing our patience but we are operating on a higher pedestal.
You know, there is a world of difference between education and enlightenment. We have decided to look at the brighter side of life and admonish our fellow citizens to do likewise, ignoring inconsequential elements to have their say. We shall always have the day.

We have the capacity to confront issues frontally , but what is the use , when the other party cannot discuss on an enlightened platform.

Throwing jewels to pig, I dare say.
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by LitenCee(m): 12:42pm On Oct 30, 2008
Nigerians should first decide whether they are still to continue a one entity, then we can talk about how resources are controlled.
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by namun(f): 10:26pm On Nov 03, 2008
@grafikdon,
i am not niger delta but i believe so much in justice, so much. and who screams one nigeria. i dont think anybody but northerners want to still remain as nigeria, even the ibo without oil still want 2 seperate.
let the truth be told the north is leeching on resources that odes nto belong to it and that is a parasitic nature.
pls let everybody handle its own business at least when dere was the groundnut pyramid in the north, it was not channelled to the south or was it
wat about tin in jos
i have not herd someone speak one nigeria. and i dont believe dere is one nigeria. i would prefer if we all go our seperate ways
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by namun(f): 10:29pm On Nov 03, 2008
@citizenY
haba, throwing jewel to pigs, does not change owbership of the jewel. if it belongs to a pig, then it is a pig's jewel and let the pig keep its jewel to itself and u should look 4 urs
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by citizenY(m): 11:49am On Nov 04, 2008
@namun,

My sister, we are talking of ideas in the factual sense. These are the jewels.
These guys do not appreciate the idea of a united country, they are blinded
by their prejudices and each time scream about leaving but for where? they stay put.

It is all sloganeereing, nobody is following them.

Why not remain and make the best out of Nigeria as u n fit go?

Let them honestly point the direction they want to take.

So jewels being thrown at the pigs do not belong to them in the first instance and
what makes it worse is that they cannot appreciate the value.

READ BETWEEN THE LINES and shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked nice picture
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by DisGuy: 12:17pm On Nov 04, 2008
namun:

i can bet if the north finds oil today they will opt to get out of nigeria. so what do you think?

namun:

@grafikdon,
i am not niger delta but i believe so much in justice, so much. and who screams one nigeria. i don't think anybody but northerners want to still remain as nigeria, even the ibo without oil still want 2 seperate. let the truth be told the north is leeching on resources that odes nto belong to it and that is a parasitic nature.
please let everybody handle its own business at least when dere was the groundnut pyramid in the north, it was not channelled to the south or was it
what about tin in jos
i have not herd someone speak one nigeria. and i don't believe dere is one nigeria. i would prefer if we all go our seperate ways

why are people so obsessed about the north or what they want?
why is everything seen as if if the north don't consent then nothing
its almost as if the senators, house of reps are all northerners

it always weird when people talk as if their own representative are on the same page as they are
and are only beinf held back by the north or perharps their representatives are chosen by the north!!
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by lammie01: 3:06pm On Nov 04, 2008
I am not from the North but from the south. I keep wondering why southerners or in particular the Niger Deltans keep blaming the north for the acknowledged underdevelopment in the area. Blame the military and not the North as a region. I am not a fan of military rule but why were the southerners not as brave as the northerners in executing coups? At least during the military rule it was free for all – the best, bravest and intelligent officers execute successful coup de etat. When the Niger deltans in the military saw lack of development why did they not take over the reins of power in those days (praise to Gideon Orkah who tried but died a brave man).

Putting that aside in the last 8 years the region benefited from 13% derivation which translated to about 12 to 13 billion naira monthly going to states like Delta, Rivers and Bayelsa every month. Please any sane minded person would know that this kind of money can build significant and substantial infrastructure to the region. Why did the governors and leaders betray their people. Why cant the militants kidnap these governors and make them cough out the legitimate right of the people rather than kidnap innocent foreign workers for paltry ransoms.

I sympathise with the common people of the region and I urge them to start solving their problems by looking inwards first. The NDDC has been headed by a son of the region yet no significant development despite huge sums of money.

If the region is given total control today people like Odili and Ibori would still emerge the leaders and would loot Niger Delta to hell but at least the North wouldn’t be blamed this time.
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by MCUsman(m): 4:54pm On Nov 04, 2008
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by citizenY(m): 10:21am On Nov 06, 2008
@MCUsman

Plenty to add. All those morons who are afraid of their shadows and hide behind that phobia should shut up.
They should go home and ask their seniors where they were when things were happening.

Every day, northerner, northerner, now your brother has told you the home truth.

Where are all those guys,
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by Ibime(m): 1:20pm On Nov 06, 2008
When chickens quit quarrelling over their food they often find that there is enough for all of them
Re: Niger Delta Should Have Full Resource Control: Yes or No? by namun(f): 10:20pm On Nov 21, 2008
@citizeny
tanks

(1) (Reply)

(jos Rages Yet Again) Another Hausa-fulani Fueled Violence,11 Dead Already! / Ibori In Defiant Mood As He Is Released On Bail! / Bankole In Public Brawl With Member

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.