Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,836 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:28 AM

A University Degree Without A Career Path. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A University Degree Without A Career Path. (3513 Views)

Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job / Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University / University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A University Degree Without A Career Path. by franconian: 12:27am On Sep 06, 2014
The above heading should be a good summary for my case.

I Graduated 2011 from a fed. Uni. (Life Sciences), But till this day, I still ask myself what this degree is really for. In retrospect, my admission to study this course was incidental.

I have this passion for computers and the IT world in general, and I want a part in it. But I just don't know the aspect to channel my resources to get a rewarding career path.

My Dad wants me to go for masters in biochem, but I am not sure if that's what I want. And now that PG form is out, the man nor wan let me rest!

I want to start a career in IT now before it's too late. My predicament now is, at 24 what career path could I possibly take now in IT? Are there any professional course(s) I can take? Can I possibly use my degree as a stepping stone in postgraduate studies in this field?

I want to further my education (outside biochem), but if you suggest a learning program that does not involves the "normal" PG stuff, I will consider it still. Someone Advised me to go for NOUN PGD in IT but I feel this will be a case of little or no practical - as it involves distant learning.

Please I am asking for your candid suggestions?
Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by okonja(m): 1:09am On Sep 06, 2014
Wait let me book space, then comment later
Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by okonja(m): 1:10am On Sep 06, 2014
Mind you, you don't need to tell the mods what to do...If it worth being on fp, it would be there. cool

1 Like

Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by okonja(m): 1:11am On Sep 06, 2014
Now let me comment
Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by okonja(m): 1:34am On Sep 06, 2014
franconian: I have this passion for computers and the IT world in general, and I want a part in it. But I just don't know the aspect to channel my resources to get a rewarding career path.
I want to start a career in IT now before it's too late. My predicament now is, at 24 what career path could I possibly take now in IT? Are there any professional course(s) I can take? Can I possibly use my degree as a stepping stone in postgraduate studies in this field?
What are you waiting for?, there is nothing like too late.

My Dad wants me to go for masters in biochem, but I am not sure if that's what I want. And now that PG form is out, the man nor wan let me rest!

It's your life, tell him what you want, If he is not supporting you, be a man and find your way. I have a friend in Osogbo Osun state with this kinda situation, his father is one of the rich people in the south west, this friend is an IT guru but studied Agric Sci in the Uni. After graduation he wanted going to University of Liverpool for Master's in IT course, but his father insisted to be Agric course again, he declined, and decided to be on his own.
Today, he has many clients only in Osun state not to talk of other states that am aware of, and to top it all, he just bought himself a new car ride, so my point is, if you believe in yourself, follow your heart and chase your dream.

1 Like

Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by franconian: 6:00am On Sep 06, 2014
okonja:
What are you waiting for?, there is nothing like too late.

It's your life, tell him what you want, If he is not supporting you, be a man and find your way. I have a friend in Osogbo Osun state with this kinda situation, his father is one of the rich people in the south west, this friend is an IT guru but studied Agric Sci in the Uni. After graduation he wanted going to University of Liverpool for Master's in IT course, but his father insisted to be Agric course again, he declined, and decided to be on his own.
Today, he has many clients only in Osun state not to talk of other states that am aware of, and to top it all, he just bought himself a new car ride, so my point is, if you believe in yourself, follow your heart and chase your dream.

Bro thank you very much!

My Dad has reluctantly agreed, thanks to mum (woman get power ooo) grin. But the problem now is the very program to go for? He is like "Which program are you going for then?". I want a program that can give me a good certification and a practical knowledge as well. Unlike your friend's freind, I don't have the resources to go abroad. So, where can I get such stuff in Nigeria?

Can I get the contact of the guy (ur friend's friend) u talked about?

Btw, I need it to be on fp cos I know I will get the most suggestions there....I have to come up with something now!
Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by Nobody: 11:19am On Sep 06, 2014
I don't have sound knowledge about career on i.t path. Anyway. Let me help you with just commenting, iam sure it will increase the chance of moving this topic to fp.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by eleojo23: 2:40pm On Sep 06, 2014
The first poster made a valid point.
Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by franconian: 2:55pm On Sep 06, 2014
eleojo23: The first poster made a valid point.

Yeah, he did!

That leaves me with the question of what program to go for?

Any suggestion on this?
Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by hydeka: 8:36pm On Sep 06, 2014
Mynd44, please help this guy by taking this to the frontpage.

1 Like

Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by franconian: 10:14pm On Sep 06, 2014
hydeka: Mynd44, please help this guy by taking this to the frontpage.

Thanks Bro!

MOD abeg na!!!
Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by Odunharry(m): 12:22am On Sep 07, 2014
mynd44,seun,mukina2

1 Like

Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by jamalee: 5:02am On Sep 07, 2014
At franconian, you are a man. Don't let anybody decide for you or dictate for. Leave the toga and do whatever sails your boat because you are going to put food on the table for your family; nobody else will help you with that. Now, if you want to take a career in IT, it's very easy and simple. All you have to do is to get a good Laptop, smart phone with high sophisticated features, a good modem or broadband and some little cash in your pocket. If you don't know anything about Computer before, take a course in Computer Appreciation from any Computer Training Centre around your area, or better still download a free manual on the internet. If you can't, tell someone to do it for you for a measly fee. This option will come cheaper for you than enrolling yourself in a Computer Training Centre. Because you will learn at your own convinient space and time. After completing the Computer Appreciation stage, from there you can move on to any level you want in IT. You learn programming, Comptia N+ i.e networking, Comptia A+ i.e engineering. There are different organizations that are offering professional courses in the IT Industry. Some of them are Microsoft, Oracle, ISACA, CISCO, etc. There are many courses you can go for under these organizations. For ISACA, I don't know know much about because they're still a new Company in the IT Industry. But I know they offer Certified Internal System Auditor(CISA); this CISA is a very fine course, you can go for it because it is still new in the IT Industry. You can google them and find more about them. For Oracle, you can go for Oracle Certified Associate(OCA), Oracle Certified Professional(OCP), etc. For CISCO, you can go for CCNA, CCNP, CCVP, CCIP, etc. You have many options to choose from to become an IT Expert or Consultant. To cap it all, know how to design a website, because it is an hot cake in town now. And also, you should also learn hacking, software development. The sky is your limit. Welcome to the IT World...

4 Likes

Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by franconian: 8:25am On Sep 07, 2014
jamalee: At franconian, you are a man. Don't let anybody decide for you or dictate for. Leave the toga and do whatever sails your boat because you are going to put food on the table for your family; nobody else will help you with that. Now, if you want to take a career in IT, it's very easy and simple. All you have to do is to get a good Laptop, smart phone with high sophisticated features, a good modem or broadband and some little cash in your pocket. If you don't know anything about Computer before, take a course in Computer Appreciation from any Computer Training Centre around your area, or better still download a free manual on the internet. If you can't, tell someone to do it for you for a measly fee. This option will come cheaper for you than enrolling yourself in a Computer Training Centre. Because you will learn at your own convinient space and time. After completing the Computer Appreciation stage, from there you can move on to any level you want in IT. You learn programming, Comptia N+ i.e networking, Comptia A+ i.e engineering. There are different organizations that are offering professional courses in the IT Industry. Some of them are Microsoft, Oracle, ISACA, CISCO, etc. There are many courses you can go for under these organizations. For ISACA, I don't know know much about because they're still a new Company in the IT Industry. But I know they offer Certified Internal System Auditor(CISA); this CISA is a very fine course, you can go for it because it is still new in the IT Industry. You can google them and find more about them. For Oracle, you can go for Oracle Certified Associate(OCA), Oracle Certified Professional(OCP), etc. For CISCO, you can go for CCNA, CCNP, CCVP, CCIP, etc. You have many options to choose from to become an IT Expert or Consultant. To cap it all, know how to design a website, because it is an hot cake in town now. And also, you should also learn hacking, software development. The sky is your limit. Welcome to the IT World...

Bro thank you very much!

I will look up those certificate courses you talked about.

I have a good laptop n all those basic stuffs. I know basic html and CSS as well. I was learning php and java with the videos I got from thenewboston.org but I ran into problems when my "XAMPP control pane" and "eclipse" started misbehaving - I am trying to fix them. The problem is when I have problems with my softwares, I have no one to help me out. I enrolled for some courses on coursera but many of those courses require at least a basic knowledge of Java.

That aside, I was told that for people (companies) to take me serious in the IT world, I will need a masters degree in addition to my many certificates along side work experiences.

As for a masters degree, what is your take on this?

As for the work experience, how do I get this? Where should I start from?
Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by jamalee: 6:02pm On Sep 07, 2014
franconian:

Bro thank you very much!

I will look up those certificate courses you talked about.

I have a good laptop n all those basic stuffs. I know basic html and CSS as well. I was learning php and java with the videos I got from thenewboston.org but I ran into problems when my "XAMPP control pane" and "eclipse" started misbehaving - I am trying to fix them. The problem is when I have problems with my softwares, I have no one to help me out. I enrolled for some courses on coursera but many of those courses require at least a basic knowledge of Java.

That aside, I was told that for people (companies) to take me serious in the IT world, I will need a masters degree in addition to my many certificates along side work experiences.

As for a masters degree, what is your take on this?

As for the work experience, how do I get this? Where should I start from?

Bros, don't let anyone to feed you with you with wrong info. Though, some Companies require Masters Degree for some positions, but not all. Bros, let me tell you something; if you are a Computer Guru or Wizard, and know what you are doing very well, they will gladly welcome you into their Company. For instance, if you have Cisco Certified Network Associate(CCNA) and Ordinary National Diploma(OND) with discipline in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or any other related course, you will be receiving at least three hundred thousand naira(N300,000.00) per month from any Telecommunication Companies in Nigeria. If at all you will be cheated to the last core, you will be receiving at least two hundred thousand naira(N200,000.00) per month; though the CCNA Certificate must come direct from CISCO in U.K by enrolling for the international exam. If you pass the international exam, CISCO will issue you a Certificate direct from their Head Office in U.K; with this and the OND, you are entitle to receive that substantial amount from any Telecommunication Companies in Nigeria. But without the certification from U.K, just forget about that. Can you see now that Masters Degree is that important in the IT Industry, but it will be a plus for you. But if they insist, you just leave them and concentrate on something important to you; which is your Future Partner or Girl Friend by catching fun with her(laughs, laughs,...) because they are not ready for business. If they are ready, they will pay you your worth. Going for Masters Degree Program now will costs you at least a million naira. Why can't you use that a million naira for business? I'm sorry for saying this; I don't know may be you are from a rich family. I'm just trying to raise a suggestion. If you wanted to go into business, you can also do business in the IT Industry. There are series of businesses there. You can start web designing for corporate bodies, software for corporate bodies, application developing, etc. If you want ideas on application development, tell me here on this platform. You can equally post your contact number here, so that I will be able to call you and talk. But if you don't want, no qualm about that. I am just trying to help my fellow Nairalander and Nigerian. Remember that the richest man in the World , Bill Gates is the Owner of Microsoft and Microsoft is worth several billions of dollars annually and Bill Gates is a Drop-Out University. Facebook Owner, Mark Zugarbark is a Drop-Out University and Facebook makes him the Youngest Billionaire in the World. Also 2go and Whatapp worth billions of dollars annually. So think and re-think over your Masters Degree Program because education does not make one rich, it is the work of the brain by being an Entrepreneur. If you don't have anything to fall back on after your Masters Degree Program, there is a problem and the problem is where you will be getting your daily bread. Enough said...

3 Likes

Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by franconian: 8:07pm On Sep 07, 2014
Thank you very much for the effort you put into typing all that!

jamalee: For instance, if you have Cisco Certified Network Associate(CCNA) and Ordinary National Diploma(OND) with discipline in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or any other related course...

CCNA: I can/will go for that. But for an OND in CS, CE, or any other related course, how do I possibly get this? I actually wanted to go for PGD in IT offered by NOUN (National Open Unive...), the form is currently on sale. Can this be a substitute for the OND stuff? Considering that OND will take 2 years and this will take just 1 year.

jamalee: But if they insist, you just leave them and concentrate on something important to you; which is your Future Partner or Girl Friend by catching fun with her(laughs, laughs,...) because they are not ready for business.
smiley smiley grin grin grin

jamalee: You can start web designing for corporate bodies, software for corporate bodies, application developing, etc. If you want ideas on application development, tell me here on this platform.
Yeah Boss, I do.

jamalee: You can equally post your contact number here , so that I will be able to call you and talk.
I am actually searching for a mentor. I will prefer to send it via email. How about that?
Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by jamalee: 11:22pm On Sep 07, 2014
franconian: Thank you very much for the effort you put into typing all that!

CCNA: I can/will go for that. But for an OND in CS, CE, or any other related course, how do I possibly get this? I actually wanted to go for PGD in IT offered by NOUN (National Open Unive...), the form is currently on sale. Can this be a substitute for the OND stuff? Considering that OND will take 2 years and this will take just 1 year.

smiley smiley grin grin grin

Yeah Boss, I do.

I am actually searching for a mentor. I will prefer to send it via email. How about that?
Evening Bros, you can go for PGD in IT at NOUN; it's even good like that. About the Professional Course, focus on one aspect because focusing on many aspects of it will result to zero. I know what I'm talking about; I still had a little experience of it some times ago. About the ideas of application development, sending it to your e-mail address is not a problem. But I need to talk to you first. Try to make it your business to post your contact number here on this platform so that I will be able to call you and talk. Some of the businesses you can also consider in the IT Industry include printing and selling of recharge cards in wholesales, Call Cenre Agency, bulk SMS business, online data entry jobs, etc. But for the application development ideas, I need to talk to you first. Let's brainstorm together and bring out something meaningful. Waiting to see your contact number here on this platform...

1 Like

Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by Homonide: 4:30pm On Sep 08, 2014
jamalee: Bros, don't let anyone to feed you with you with wrong info. Though, some Companies require Masters Degree for some positions, but not all. Bros, let me tell you something; if you are a Computer Guru or Wizard, and know what you are doing very well, they will gladly welcome you into their Company. For instance, if you have Cisco Certified Network Associate(CCNA) and Ordinary National Diploma(OND) with discipline in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or any other related course, you will be receiving at least three hundred thousand naira(N300,000.00) per month from any Telecommunication Companies in Nigeria. If at all you will be cheated to the last core, you will be receiving at least two hundred thousand naira(N200,000.00) per month; though the CCNA Certificate must come direct from CISCO in U.K by enrolling for the international exam. If you pass the international exam, CISCO will issue you a Certificate direct from their Head Office in U.K; with this and the OND, you are entitle to receive that substantial amount from any Telecommunication Companies in Nigeria. But without the certification from U.K, just forget about that. Can you see now that Masters Degree is that important in the IT Industry, but it will be a plus for you. But if they insist, you just leave them and concentrate on something important to you; which is your Future Partner or Girl Friend by catching fun with her(laughs, laughs,...) because they are not ready for business. If they are ready, they will pay you your worth. Going for Masters Degree Program now will costs you at least a million naira. Why can't you use that a million naira for business? I'm sorry for saying this; I don't know may be you are from a rich family. I'm just trying to raise a suggestion. If you wanted to go into business, you can also do business in the IT Industry. There are series of businesses there. You can start web designing for corporate bodies, software for corporate bodies, application developing, etc. If you want ideas on application development, tell me here on this platform. You can equally post your contact number here, so that I will be able to call you and talk. But if you don't want, no qualm about that. I am just trying to help my fellow Nairalander and Nigerian. Remember that the richest man in the World , Bill Gates is the Owner of Microsoft and Microsoft is worth several billions of dollars annually and Bill Gates is a Drop-Out University. Facebook Owner, Mark Zugarbark is a Drop-Out University and Facebook makes him the Youngest Billionaire in the World. Also 2go and Whatapp worth billions of dollars annually. So think and re-think over your Masters Degree Program because education does not make one rich, it is the work of the brain by being an Entrepreneur. If you don't have anything to fall back on after your Masters Degree Program, there is a problem and the problem is where you will be getting your daily bread. Enough said...

The post above is fraught with so much misinformation, especially as it concerns Cisco certs. 300k for a ccna? Is this some kind of joke? Does the poster even know anything about Cisco certs @ all? I very much doubt it. By the way, Cisco is an American company. It's not a must to comment on every thread...
Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by jamalee: 8:40pm On Sep 08, 2014
Homonide:

The post above is fraught with so much misinformation, especially as it concerns Cisco certs. 300k for a ccna? Is this some kind of joke? Does the poster even know anything about Cisco certs @ all? I very much doubt it. By the way, Cisco is an American company. It's not a must to comment on every thread...
You just find out first before you talk. CCNA is also equivalent to degree in U.K. So the 300k is not a lie. Telecomms companies paid that amount 5years back. You can confirm it by yourself.
Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by Nobody: 8:55pm On Sep 08, 2014
u already know what ur passion is, dat's wat u shud do! u r only 24, still very young. Gud luck. smiley
Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by spartanian(m): 2:22pm On Sep 09, 2014
Nice meeting you bro, am also in the same predicament with you.
Graduate of Biochemistry (2012) and completed my NYSC February this year. I am interested in the ICT career and am presently doing a PGD. in I.T with NOUN, I have been trying to raise money to travel to India for Telecommunication professional certification (6months) and also do some I.T courses, hoping to travel by next month if I get the required finances which is less than a million Naira.

1 Like

Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by AjanleKoko: 3:56pm On Sep 09, 2014
franconian: The above heading should be a good summary for my case.

I Graduated 2011 from a fed. Uni. (Life Sciences), But till this day, I still ask myself what this degree is really for. In retrospect, my admission to study this course was incidental.

I have this passion for computers and the IT world in general, and I want a part in it. But I just don't know the aspect to channel my resources to get a rewarding career path.

I want to further my education (outside biochem), but if you suggest a learning program that does not involves the "normal" PG stuff, I will consider it still. Someone Advised me to go for NOUN PGD in IT but I feel this will be a case of little or no practical - as it involves distant learning.

Please I am asking for your candid suggestions?

MOD please help take this to the fp, I need suggestions now because my Dad is insisting I will have to buy PG form (Biochem or any related field) if I can't come up with something different.

Go and talk to the people at NIIT or APTECH. They'll give you an idea of what their programs are.
I'd recommend them over any academic program.

1 Like

Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by jamalee: 7:22pm On Sep 09, 2014
AjanleKoko:

Go and talk to the people at NIIT or APTECH. They'll give you an idea of what their programs are.
Bros, you're right. I even prefer NIIT to APTECH because NIIT offers fine courses in IT.

1 Like

Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by franconian: 12:37am On Sep 10, 2014
AjanleKoko:

Thanks Bros!

I will do that!

spartanian:

Nice to meet Bro!
The NOUN PGD, how is like? Are u guys into the practical aspect or just the usual theory thing? Would you advice me to go for it? Is the PGD a prerequisite to the Telecomm course? Please do well to answer.

I feel it will be a good thing if u can go to India for that cert....Good luck!
Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by spartanian(m): 9:42pm On Sep 10, 2014
franconian:

Nice to meet Bro!
The NOUN PGD, how is like? Are u guys into the practical aspect or just the usual theory thing? Would you advice me to go for it? Is the PGD a prerequisite to the Telecomm course? Please do well to answer.

I feel it will be a good thing if u can go to India for that cert....Good luck!
Nice meeting you too bro, the NOUN programme doesn't offer practicals except if you practice it on your own. They just give you materials which you read and prepare for test and exams, but students do come together to organise tutorial lectures and maybe practicals.
Will advice you to go for it while at the same time learning other professional ICT courses you are interested in. You don't need the PGD as a prerequisite for the telecom course because they said they teach their students from scratch not minding what educational background you have with 3 month practical internship inclusive.

1 Like

Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by franconian: 1:12pm On Sep 12, 2014
spartanian:
Nice meeting you too bro, the NOUN programme doesn't offer practicals except if you practice it on your own. They just give you materials which you read and prepare for test and exams, but students do come together to organise tutorial lectures and maybe practicals.
Will advice you to go for it while at the same time learning other professional ICT courses you are interested in. You don't need the PGD as a prerequisite for the telecom course because they said they teach their students from scratch not minding what educational background you have with 3 month practical internship inclusive.

Thanks Bro!
Please one more question, how flexible is the program (PGD)...I mean timewise?

Can a 9-5 worker do it successfully?
Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by spartanian(m): 3:48pm On Sep 12, 2014
franconian:

Thanks Bro!
Please one more question, how flexible is the program (PGD)...I mean timewise?

Can a 9-5 worker do it successfully?
The programme is flexible, you don't need to attend lectures. The only period your time is needed is when writing exams.

1 Like

Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by franconian: 3:53pm On Sep 12, 2014
spartanian:
The programme is flexible, you don't need to attend lectures. The only period your time is needed is when writing exams.

K...thanks!
Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by amdman: 7:22pm On Sep 12, 2014
The days of undertaking just about any IT course are past. Any IT course you take now must be what is relevant but missing in the local IT scene.

For example, it is not enough to be good at Cisco. Move further into other specialisations such as Certified Ethical Hacking, Certified Hacking Forensic Investigator, etc. Those skills are still largely lacking in Nigeria, and as we develop further, those skills will become more and more relevant.

1 Like

Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by franconian: 10:00pm On Sep 15, 2014
Roger that!

Thanks for ur contribution, Boss!
Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by franconian: 10:01pm On Sep 15, 2014
Roger that!

amdman: The days of undertaking just about any IT course are past. Any IT course you take now must be what is relevant but missing in the local IT scene.
For example, it is not enough to be good at Cisco. Move further into other specialisations such as Certified Ethical Hacking, Certified Hacking Forensic Investigator, etc. Those skills are still largely lacking in Nigeria, and as we develop further, those skills will become more and more relevant.
Roger that!

Re: A University Degree Without A Career Path. by busyminded(m): 12:56am On Sep 16, 2014
We in the same boat man. been wantin to switch to IT. Read economics in a fed uni too and just started service. GOD help me my service year will be to take IT courses, learn and make money as well.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Does Linking My NIN To My Line Always Failed. / 3rd Class Graduate,any Hope For Them In The Present Naija? / How Relevant Are The HSE And PMP Certifications?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.