Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,429 members, 7,808,531 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:06 PM

Rebuttal: On Psquare And Why They Will Never Break Into The US Market - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Rebuttal: On Psquare And Why They Will Never Break Into The US Market (999 Views)

On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. / Akon Signs Wizkid,psquare And Tubaba / Psquare And 2face - Possibility (with lyrics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rebuttal: On Psquare And Why They Will Never Break Into The US Market by Sanchez01: 7:43am On Sep 06, 2014
This opinion is solely that of Sanchez01 and none other.

This is a counter-thread to the one which grazed Front Page yesterday, the thread “On Psquare and why they will never break into the US market”. The OP tried making it an opinion but ended up shoving his opinion into people’s throat. Normally, as humans, I do not expect we sleep and put our heads in the same direction. So, here goes…

Psquare came at a time when sickly and boring love songs wore most music lovers out. Plantashun Boiz were the Westlife we had, only that they were three. The industry was literally hauled by Kennis Music and her stars and it almost seemed it would be like that for life, putting into consideration the array of stars that emanated from their stable. Eedris Abdulkareem, Azados, Kenny Saint Brown, Eddy Remedy, Baba Dee and Sound Sultan, Tony Tetuila, OJB Jezreel and so on. It was indeed Kennis’ moment, until the amazing duo stepped in.

First was their ‘Last Night’ album which featured bangers such as ‘Igbedu, Senorita, Last Night, Kolo’, etc. Their entrance, particularly in the video ‘Senorita’ turned people’s attention from the then monotonous industry. Psquare had indeed given Nigerians what no one had ever dreamt. I could remember well over a decade ago when I saw the ‘Senorita’ video, I knew right then that they were not coming to give us what we had been familiar with. It was obvious from day one that they had just one intention – to register their names on the lips of music lovers across the world.

As years went by, they dished mouth-watering videos to fans who were already bored of the unrepentant and undynamic artistes that had come before them. From their array of powerful dance steps, coupled with Jude ‘Engees’ ability of getting the perfect idea to making their videos worthwhile, to good choruses. Such was the effect of the ‘Rude Boys’ in the ‘Last Night, Get Squared, Get Squared Da Video’ album and videos.

They were criticized at some point that all they could was to sing on love’s lost, betrayal and party songs, and the criticisms did put them on their toes, one which caused them to give their fans something different. The brand ‘Psquare’ had become an international brand, largely within the African community and its virus did spread fast. Part of the criticism was that they had never recorded a reality song – songs that tackle and poke at the government of the day for mistreating the masses. Fans were fast becoming bored of seeing the twin do tasking dance steps in their colourful leather jackets, such is the case of a typical Nigerian fan ‘give us something different, else we turn away.’

Then in came the ‘Game Over’ album which saw the duo change totally from what they were known for. Albeit, the music world accepted them for whom they were. They had mature, from wearing nylon leather jackets to simple clothes, less Western influence on their songs and heart melting Igbo lines into their pop-highlife songs. Their transition was swift, accommodating and convenient as they soar through the ‘Danger’ to ‘The Invasion’ of 2011 which was riddled with countless hits and the feature if foreign acts such as Akon and Rick Ross. The album was simply too good to listen to as they laced it with dancehall songs to the most universal – love.

And just when people relaxed, thinking the twin were working on their next album, they held the world by the horn with their ‘Alingo’ dancehall single and their amazing ‘Personally’ tribute to the legendary Michael Jackson. A pause and then ‘Taste the Money’. One would have thought that they group would have split before now, as marital crisis rocked their blooming and ever growing fan base.

Meanwhile, artistes who came and dominated the big screen did not last long to remain at the top. Those who joined the twin along the way dropped after failing to give their audience something different from what they started with. 9ice, Styl-Plus, Sasha P, Tetuila, Azados, Faze, BlackFace, Durella, Ajasa, Wande Coal, Djinee, J-Martins, Da Trybesmen, which featured Eldee, to name but a few, all came, saw but never conquered. They were relegated to the background because they ran short of ideas. They were all buried in the pacing sands of time as they could not adapt to the fast changing demands of the society.

At this juncture, I must state that there are two types of music fans; ‘the beat fans’ and ‘the true lovers of music’. I grew up in a home where Jim Reeves, Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton, Whitney Houston, Jill Scott, Yanni the Jazz master, Baby Face among others, were played night and day; though I never enjoyed it from the start but I became a lover of meaningful songs rather than search out for the beat of a song, as most music lovers would be quick to point out as a flaw.

The latest Song from the twin sensation, ‘Ejeajo’, is a classic. The beat itself is from the 90s and one can easily relate the beat to several 80’s and 90s’ beats. Popularly found in ‘Kool and The Gang’s ‘Celebration’. It is very palpable that they have allowed their latest single sway to the direction of the 90’s; a good way of keeping themselves active and strong in the industry they helped publicized.

Songs belonging to this era are radio friendly, sensations to the ears and above all, groovy with the peaceful tempos. It is quite understandable that most people find the song alien and way different from what the duo had done in the past. Dynamism and thinking out of the box is the game, the plan and the selling point.

Of all modern artistes in Nigeria, only Tu-Face Idibia and Psquare have lasted longer than every other in the industry. The reason for this is not far-fetched; they have a way of adapting and bringing new game plans to the table, even when we think we have known all they have to offer. They broke into the international long before Dbanj's premature abortion with Good Music.

Conclusively, Psquare, though, has disappointed most of their ‘beat fans’ by giving them the abominable, it is worthy of note that fans who lived through the era of the Classics might have yet another chance to reminisce and relive the era they had once forgotten. Just like always, the Okoye brothers have given us something to keep our hands busy while they work on their newest album. And as unpredictable as always, the beat fans believe a major work as ‘ejeajo’ in a century riddled with nothing but noise, vulgarity, booze, wine and ladies, is nothing but a flop.

They have never performed a typical Nigerian way even when they tried to. The duo, are not only commanders of a modern African music industry; they have broken into a market beyond the shores of Africa long before now and we can only thank them, alongside Tu-Face for giving us something to believe in.

2 Likes

Re: Rebuttal: On Psquare And Why They Will Never Break Into The US Market by Penssuwa(m): 8:05am On Sep 06, 2014
Thats a very nice one. Its so pathetic how peeps rate the duo's well established career with one track just because it doesnt suit their noisy beat oriented ears. Funny enough, those bashing the brothers would still be the first to buy their album.

1 Like

Re: Rebuttal: On Psquare And Why They Will Never Break Into The US Market by dj187: 8:09am On Sep 06, 2014
Thanks bro for sharing this, the problem with we Nigerians is dat we don't appreciate anything from our own. We are always first to criticise and condemn even before our fellow Africans do, to me this just not fair.

And if you want to see the mind of a typical Nigerian just as it is, come to nairaland, after reading and analysing on peoples posts & comments for years now i have come to the conclusion of drawing a small circle around me because a typical Nigerian is pretentious, full of hate, backstabbing, hypocritical, duplicitous, cunning , lacks tolerance, prejudiced and bigoted by religion
Re: Rebuttal: On Psquare And Why They Will Never Break Into The US Market by Sanchez01: 8:16am On Sep 06, 2014
dj187: Thanks bro for sharing this, the problem with we Nigerians is dat we don't appreciate anything from our own. We are always first to criticise and condemn even before our fellow Africans do, to me this just not fair.

And if you want to see the mind of a typical Nigerian just as it is, come to nairaland, after reading and analysing on peoples posts & comments for years now i have come to the conclusion of drawing a small circle around me because a typical Nigerian is pretentious, full of hate, backstabbing, hypocritical, duplicitous, cunning , lacks tolerance, prejudiced and bigoted by religion
You're very right with your assertion. In addition, lack of understanding is one of our problems. We have no idea about most things and we often claim we know, just because what we anticipate did not go our way.
Re: Rebuttal: On Psquare And Why They Will Never Break Into The US Market by Sanchez01: 8:19am On Sep 06, 2014
Penssuwa: Thats a very nice one. Its so pathetic how peeps rate the duo's well established career with one track just because it doesnt suit their noisy beat oriented ears. Funny enough, those bashing the brothers would still be the first to buy their album.
Ironic, isn't it? I believe we should break from the terrible norm of noise making to doing songs that appeal to the ears. It is indeed pathetic.
Re: Rebuttal: On Psquare And Why They Will Never Break Into The US Market by Smartlux(m): 10:47am On Sep 06, 2014
hmmmmm... Eya.... embarassed
Re: Rebuttal: On Psquare And Why They Will Never Break Into The US Market by slinkman(m): 10:40pm On Sep 06, 2014
tanks bro for dis.... dis iz so true ... Nigerians ar so unappreciative of what they got.... hw many naija artists can break dance ?? abeg p square no mind all d mumu haterz who aint gat no life .... make dem go hear roll it again and tell me which naija artist wey fit make song like dat. nt to talk of ejeajo

(1) (Reply)

Davido's Father Portrait Painting / Open Letter: Fan Advises Skales To Lose Weight & More / Was 2face Really Better Than Faze?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.