Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,151 members, 7,807,501 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:19 PM

Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar (24732 Views)

Most Funniest Nigerian Actor (aki&pawpaw, Osuofia, Mr Ibu) / Which Actor or Actress Would You Rather Dine With? / Who is your Favorite Nigerian Movie Star? (actor or actress) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 3:51pm On Sep 07, 2014
Nse (proudly teamAkwaIbom) smiley, Genevieve, and um Peter Edochie.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Cestmoi1(f): 4:17pm On Sep 07, 2014
Nse Ekpe Etim and Sam Dede.....I love this two and they have the potentials to win an oscar
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 4:42pm On Sep 07, 2014
It is possible for Nigerians 2 win it but as a Nollywood actor/actress, NOPE.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Jonzingmaster(m): 4:43pm On Sep 07, 2014
biko nobody will win oscar...we still nid him at chelsea...OSCAR IS NOT FOR SALE.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by debayun(m): 5:13pm On Sep 07, 2014
Dymondgurl: Nse Ikpe Etim

I swear to God that was the 1sr name that came to my head when I saw the topic that girl can beat lupita and will beat when the opportunity comes I send when not if. That's a prophecy

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Dymondgurl(f): 5:59pm On Sep 07, 2014
debayun:

I swear to God that was the 1sr name that came to my head when I saw the topic that girl can beat lupita and will beat when the opportunity comes I send when not if. That's a prophecy
amen to that.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by raphy(m): 6:27pm On Sep 07, 2014
go ask ifa priest he wll tell u.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by horpeyemmi66(m): 6:51pm On Sep 07, 2014
Kunle Afolayan...Figurine
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by foxyac3(m): 6:54pm On Sep 07, 2014
SANYERI!!!
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Noelle01: 7:05pm On Sep 07, 2014
duni04:
Don't like her. She's more gra gra than real acting.
You seen reloaded? Fell in love with her acting when i saw that movie.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by princemike2005(m): 8:05pm On Sep 07, 2014
Aki nd pawpaw or maybe late sam loco
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Stunner1(f): 8:14pm On Sep 07, 2014
Nse ikpe and ivie okujaye
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Eluanaten(m): 9:10pm On Sep 07, 2014
Mama Peace, Patience Jonathan.

On a serious note... Nse Ikpe Etim is it. Lupita dey learn whr she dey!
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by HandOfChukwu: 9:12pm On Sep 07, 2014
Black people only win Oscars when they play slaves. FACT.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Rock212(m): 10:01pm On Sep 07, 2014
I believe we have talents who can win an oscar. Its just that one has to first break into the American market. Secondly it will also take a lot of hard work on the actor's or actress's acting. I normally use Tom Hanks as an example. If you ve watched him in batman and saving private Ryan's movies you will agree with me that it would be hard recognising him in the award winning movie Forest Gump. He was so different. That is what I call true acting. Interpreting a role and not sounding or acting the same way all the time. Little wonder he won an oscar for his role in that movie. Again nollywood actors and actresses must repackage themselves. I love the way Genevive is doing her thing by selecting roles thereby making our script writers and producers sit up not like Mercy Johnson that accepts all manner of roles in all manner of movies at her level. It is indeed appalling. So having said this little I feel Genevive, Omotola, Nse Ikpe, RMD, Rita Dominic, Yul Edochie are some nollywood actors that can win an Oscar if they work hard and land atleast a supporting role in a hollywood boxoffice movie.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Rock212(m): 10:09pm On Sep 07, 2014
As it stands now, nollywood actors and actress ve a lot of work to do before setting their sight on the Oscars.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by jeffoski(m): 11:18pm On Sep 07, 2014
I believe with the right script ,Director and proper acting enviorment Nigeria would have an actor and actress that can win an oscar. I watch 12yrs a slave and yes lupital did well but I can bet you Mercy Johnson will do better if giving d same platform as Lupital.The only issues is dat Mama Purity no go gree naked. If Nse gets dat role too she would do well and get double oscar sef but she no go gree naked. For us to win and oscar we need to be ready to let go of some things.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by wo1F(m): 12:37am On Sep 08, 2014
Dymondgurl: Nse Ikpe Etim

Shitt.
This name has at d time of this quote '119 likes' yet I no sabi who she be
Maybe its time to gradually let nollywood back in again...

Google my man make we yarn small abeg cheesy
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by bettes(f): 1:52am On Sep 08, 2014
Can't think of any,1st they need to break into Hollywood,I can't believe actually think Nse Ekpe Etim can win an oscar with the way she acts in nollywood,by naija standards she may be great but she doesn't measure up to Hollywood standards. Its not beans to win an oscar,Denzel is a fantastic actor yet he only had 2 Oscars to his name,its not enough to just act in hit movie,you need to stand out.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by soreola(f): 2:11am On Sep 08, 2014
Joke Silva
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by VillageBoi(m): 8:21am On Sep 08, 2014
prof800:
Where on planet earth have you been?

@phrezzz...
Winning an Oscar or not winning an Oscar is not important...
...but to answer your question, "Any Nigerian actor CAN actually win the Oscars."
It is not a difficult feat and I wouldn't want to discuss the clumsy fuzz.

My broda I dey o, just busy-busy. How now?

By the way your post is brilliant! The OP did say 'Nigerian' actors and you killed it. Even those that are slagging off 'Nollywood' based actors have NO IDEA what they are talking about - these people are 'actors' - they only seem poor and incapable simply because our 'writers & directors' are poor... simple!

Let's look at a timeline -
Lupita did 'Shuga' 2009-2012... then her VERY NEXT thing was '12 Yrs A Slave'. There is not a single Nigerian - even including what people are calling kpako Nollywood based actors that that exact circumstance couldn't have happened to, hence my earlier post was simply -
VillageBoi:
Given the right material, right acting tuition and right directing I'll say pretty much ANY of them can. Not that it's important.

Any Nigerian actor - in fact let me even say any Nairalander sef... given the three things I mentioned above CAN WIN AN OSCAR -
Oscars no be awards again? Oscar na rocket science? No! Oscar na magic? No!
Are we same Nigerians not winning world-class awards in every other field from Medicine to Literature? Filmmaking is practically the only field in Nigeria in which we are the laziest bunch of pretty stupid people shaa.

The reason I said the Oscars are not important is because the magic, the rocket science, the calculus, the complex engineering ALL has to happen somewhere else - during the filmmaking process; starting with the 'idea', the writing and practically nailing it all in PRE-production.
How many Nigerian DIRECTORS have actually sat down to study and figure out 'the psychology of the audience'? practically zilch I bet.

The problem with Nigeria and Nigerians is their 'spirits' are so broken from time. The very second a child starts to show inquisitiveness it is battered out of him/her - kpa, kpa, flog, kick, slap - Shut-up Sit-down, Shut-up Sit-down, Shut-up Sit-down. That innocence from the fairies of 'visual creativity' is never allowed to develop fully so the produced 'mediocre' films now look like - "dayum, that stuff is seriously good!"

I beg make I no tok too much. I personally still stick to the 'problem' (if we want to call it that) being the writing & directing.
Seriously people, the 'acting' is not the issue - that's an easy fix. So yes anyone even a Nairalander, as mentioned before, can win an Oscar, afterall even complete NON-ACTORS have won Oscars in the 'acting' category. Feel free to read the article below.

Non actors winning awards - http://wallstcheatsheet.com/entertainment/5-non-actors-who-have-won-oscars-for-acting.html/?a=viewall
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by tomiobj(m): 4:10pm On Sep 08, 2014
phrezzz: So i was just watching the movie 12YearsASlave. Am not much of a movie freak so you would understand my slowness in watching this movie at this time. The script to the acting to the directing was so on point. Was very proud (Did my research that Narthop Solomon) was a Nigeria-British actor but what drew my awesomeness for the film was Lupita Nyong'o the Kenya Beauty. Her interpreting the Role was Superb. The whipping scene was class shoutout to Mcqueen. And i most totally say she deserves the oscar award. For a second i tried to match any Nollywood Actress who could have acted as Pasty and brought in so much life to the character.
none of dem will win it. Oscars 8 black pple
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by phrezzz: 9:22pm On Oct 12, 2015
I made front page?
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by skushieslord: 3:36am On Oct 13, 2015
Contact me for chapman, skushies, shisha e.t.c for ur birthday,beach parties, wedding, and any functions. Check my signature for my email. 09053663375.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 1:37pm On Apr 28, 2017
dahmie2013:
None! My Leonardo Dicapirio hasn't won any embarassed embarassed, even after acting dat super The Avaitor, in short oscar, dia ris Godoooooo! Nywys, he's releasing 5 block busters next year, let's see if oscar won't give him d award after so many yrs of denial.

Its only possible thru juju!

You are wrong. A Nigerian movie has won an oscar before.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 1:39pm On Apr 28, 2017
phrezzz:
So i was just watching the movie 12YearsASlave. Am not much of a movie freak so you would understand my slowness in watching this movie at this time. The script to the acting to the directing was so on point. Was very proud (Did my research that Narthop Solomon) was a Nigeria-British actor but what drew my awesomeness for the film was Lupita Nyong'o the Kenya Beauty. Her interpreting the Role was Superb. The whipping scene was class shoutout to Mcqueen. And i most totally say she deserves the oscar award. For a second i tried to match any Nollywood Actress who could have acted as Pasty and brought in so much life to the character.

A movie shot in Nigeria and with Nigerian cast has won an oscar.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by jeffoski(m): 8:50pm On Apr 29, 2017
gbosaa:

A movie shot in Nigeria and with Nigerian cast has won an oscar.

Abeg which film be that?
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by jeffoski(m): 8:53pm On Apr 29, 2017
In 2014 when this topic was created most of us felt nollywood actors couldn't win an oscar. This is 2017 things have changed in the Nigerian movie industry and we now have great talents. If given the right role in the right production some of our actors can win an oscar.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 9:41pm On Apr 29, 2017
jeffoski:

Abeg which film be that?

Daybreak in Udi. It's a 1949 non fiction (documentary) kind of movie about some villagers in Enugu state.

It won an Oscar for best documentary and also a BAFTA award. It was directed by Terry Bishop who is late. Apart from the district officer, the rest are Nigerians. He even tried to communicate in pidgin at some point.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 9:55pm On Apr 29, 2017
jeffoski:
In 2014 when this topic was created most of us felt nollywood actors couldn't win an oscar. This is 2017 things have changed in the Nigerian movie industry and we now have great talents. If given the right role in the right production some of our actors can win an oscar.

International recognition will come if they concentrate on making and producing quality movies.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by jeffoski(m): 10:42pm On Apr 29, 2017
gbosaa:

Daybreak in Udi. It's a 1949 non fiction (documentary) kind of movie about some villagers in Enugu state.

It won an Oscar for best documentary and also a BAFTA award. It was directed by Terry Bishop who is late. Apart from the district officer, the rest are Nigerians. He even tried to communicate in pidgin at some point.

Wow I didn't know. Thank you so much for this info, I will read it up as well.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by jeffoski(m): 10:44pm On Apr 29, 2017
gbosaa:

International recognition will come if they concentrate on making and producing quality movies.

Yea you are right. I think that's where the challenge is. We already have the talents, all they need is more challenging roles to show the real stuff they are made of and the things you mentioned. I just hope they get fund to produce quality movies. It will be nice seeing a nollywood actor win an Oscar

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NTA Labels Adebayo Shittu As "President Of Nigeria" (Photo) / GOTV Or STARTIMES, Which Is Better? / All The Zombie Horror Fans - The Walking Dead (AMC's epic series) [Season 2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.