Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,562 members, 7,809,053 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:57 PM

Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment (12139 Views)

Nigerian Volunteers To Sierra Leone, Liberia Locked Up In Hotel Over Unpaid Bill / Lagos Ebola Volunteers Demand Unpaid Allowances / I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by Nobody: 9:15am On Sep 07, 2014
ebdib:

Shut the eff up dude.
Why didn't you volunteer?
They're selfless willing to give up their lives for that.
You didn't do it and now you're saying they shouldn't be paid?
What sort of degenerate are you??
Without them, ebola would probably he ravishing your twisted brain now.

It's not a must to comment on things you know.
You can reserve your stupidity for things like dorobucci and tiwa savage.

LMAOOOOOO This guy... Dorobucci & tiwa savage. Rotfl.
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by xamuel17(m): 9:22am On Sep 07, 2014
Dear fools, who think EVD volunteers shouldn't be paid.. Should go to hell.. These people are like soldiers in war fronts.. To me, I feel they should increase their pay and never mess with their allowance!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by rman: 9:44am On Sep 07, 2014
Nigerians deserve the kind of leaders we get.

It is unbelievable some are defending the irresponsible action of government here.

The government offered to pay them and they didn't fulfil their promise and some of you are spewing rubbish!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by ceaser: 9:51am On Sep 07, 2014
Below are some of the sad responses from readers (Nigerian readers of course):

• They'll eventually pay, you guys should take it easy, must you strike on everything? after all you still receive salary every month. Nigerians and money....

• Mo ri re, wetting be volunteer? Abi them dey craze ni?

• Your ignorance defies all limits. Who forced them to volunteer.

The doctors that almost died in Liberia volunteered and we're not paid a dime for risking their lives. If you are getting paid for a service rendered, that does not count as volunteering. Get hold of a dictionary or go read a copy of "English For Dummies" Foolsmond.

• These guys should cool down, dey go pay una....after all no b force dem force una go do d work....na only una cari una celf waka go.....So mek una cul down 4 Jesus

• If you don't have a dictionary, visit dictionary.com or google.com and check out d definition of "VOLUNTEER". When u in church and your pastor says, 'we need 10 volunteers for the ongoing site building tomorrow'. After raising ur hands and going to the site, does ur pastor/ church pay u? NO! Rather, at some point, they bring food for you guys and in the end, before you go home, they show a little appreciation.

• Those people wey dey go flood regions, war torn zones in the name of helping them with food and medicine, do they get paid?

• Choi See Moni N50,000 per day! Why won't they protest!

My take:
•••• So why make hasty conclusions on these volunteers and even picking on them as the enemies? And being fully aware of what "volunteer" means, why do some uninformed/ill-informed, sentiment-driven Nigerians decide "to treat the ringworm, but sparing the leprosy in the process"?

The government knows that things will most likely play out in this manner (of being spared of the blame) as it has always happened before where they as the culprit are never held responsible for their inaction. That is why they are willing to take the gamble once again and luckily, it's gonna be a good gamble.

To the millions of Nigerians still groping in their self-imposed darkness, always choosing to hang Jesus in place of Barnabas, perhaps you should think of the following:

1. With an imminent threat to public health safety in the grades of Liberia, Congo and Guinea following the importation of the deadly disease into the country by Sawyer, the government came out to announce that volunteers for "Patrick Sawyer's disease (my own contraption) containment team should sign up, with an AGREEMENT of a FIXED amount of between 40,000 to 50,000 naira per shift as inducement and compensation for a SUICIDE MISSION. They even went as far as promising life insurance, but we all know where our pension funds end even while alive let alone in death. Most health workers dismissed the offer on account of trust issues, having just come out of an episode of HABITUAL GOVERNMENT FAILED AGREEMENT. They even don't wanna discuss it. That's how bad it was.

Note that the morale of these foot soldiers (doctors) had just been dampened, therefore any attempts to successfully mobilize them for another definite suicidal mission will only require a miracle. Some particularly mentioned that even if the government ups the offer to 1 million naira per shift, they wouldn't accede their call for sacrifice based on trust issues - provision of PPEs and a FAKE LIFE INSURANCE claim.

2. Following this plea, Nigerians were quick to echo their insincere government in calling for "volunteers" from the health sector, equally citing the monetary that comes with the suicide mission as "mouth-watering" enough. They even commended the government for such initiative as the life insurance cover even though it's still on paper and very unlikely to see the light of the day.

3. Aside from the clinical aspect, most of the required works at these isolation centres are unskilled - cleaners for example - therefore I'd expected many Nigerians including those who see EVD volunteers work as the exact dictionary meaning of "volunteer" to have signed up, more so that many of them are job seekers and the remuneration is above the roof. I even hoped against hope that the health minister and Lagos state health commissioner will both don the Hamzat suit in the name of leading by example even if it's just to call journalists, stage a media hype and have them take pictures of him standing outside the compound of the isolation centres wearing the suit. But I'm surprised that they've rather chosen to hide behind the curtains and cast aspersions on the chivalric volunteers for demanding the PITTANCE promised for the suicide mission from the government.

4. Even the "oyinbos" that coined the word "volunteer" know better to use their discretion in its use. The practice is for volunteers to be paid a stipend - an amount not commensurate with the service they offer. Doctors-without-borders is a voluntary international setup, yet the volunteers get their promised stipend AS AT WHEN DUE. And I honestly think 40k is not too much a stipend for a day full of risk for a man and his families, and even you that you that's reading this - talking of how this EVD spreads. After all and unjustifiably so, your senators collect more as daily hazard-free sitting allowance in the chambers.

Also remember that the two American doctors working as volunteers for Samaritans' purse (itself a voluntary organisation) get stipends and they were not neglected by their government in their most hour of need and vulnerability when they too got infected. That's the type of government that earns the respect and trust of its citizens, enough to invoke sacrificial patriotism in such citizens.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by bolayei: 10:02am On Sep 07, 2014
obailala:
Education in nigeria is nothing to talk about... i can tell u studied outside nigeria.

Where is the education of my people?... Must every word be read literally?

A volunteer is someone who willingly offers himself/herself to perform a task which others would rather not want to be involved in... That does not mean the person should not be paid especially when the person volunteered for a paid job. I work from Mondays to Fridays but sometimes my boss requests for 'volunteers' to work on weekends. If I volunteer to work on a weekend, I would be paid at a higher rate than what I earn normally.

Now with regards the ebola volunteers, no health worker would wish to go close to the ebola treatment centres especially due to the way health workers seem to have been majority of the victims in Nigeria and also because of the shabby way in which the government treats the victims.. For this reason, there has to be an enticing benefit package for whoever volunteers to work in these centres... I wonder why this simple logic is too difficult for supposedly enlightened Nigerians to understand... Even with the package promised by the government, only a few health workers still came forward and now it is alleged that the government is defaulting in its promises..

Instead of discussing the diabolic actions of the government or whoever is responsible for paying their entitlements, Nigerians who should be worried are here debating the meaning of the word 'volunteer
' undecided
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by Konjour(m): 10:14am On Sep 07, 2014
The Nigerian government is probably cursed with a spell of holding back the pay packets of its

workers. Parting with a few millions, billions if necessary to keep those people willing to put their

lives at risk for others sweet is not even something to be debated, because the virus is no

respecter of persons and will cling onto anybody who happens to be in the wrong place at the

wrong time. You can only enjoy the money anyway if you're alive but when there's nothing else

with which they can attract 'volunteers' to help stifle the spread, the money which is probably the

main reason for which the people working there agreed to do so should be the last thing to cause

the downing of tools!
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by armadeo(m): 10:17am On Sep 07, 2014
All hail ceaser. Very analytical write up.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by Nobody: 10:23am On Sep 07, 2014
Chaleeee:

Your ignorance defies all limits. Who forced them to volunteer The doctors that almost died in Liberia volunteered and we're not paid a dime for risking their lives.

If you are getting paid for a service rendered, that does not count as volunteering.
Get hold of a dictionary or go read a copy of "English For Dummies"
Foolsmond.
Let's give it to these 'volunteers' who agreed to risk their lives to take care of EVD patients. I can imagine the mental torture their family and friends are going through knowing the risk involved in their work.

It's easier for people to truly do voluntary work in developed countries where their good deeds will be appreciated should they come to harms way in the line of duty. But in Nigeria, what you get is all you get while you get it! Let's stop criticising them. Most people aaccusing them won't volunteer to treat them even if the pay is regular.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by lomaxx: 10:44am On Sep 07, 2014
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by deletrue: 10:46am On Sep 07, 2014
lomaxx: I need to check my dictionary for the meaning of "volunteer" again. Maybe the definition has changed.
you no go see this volunteer meaning. If you like find, even borrow dictionery from Unilag or any higher school nearest to you, you no go see the meaning because this one mean different.
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by deletrue: 10:50am On Sep 07, 2014
elomepee:

Why you sef no volunter since they don't deserve to be paid. Go volunteer your life for Ebola.

I don't know why people just like saying whatever comes to their mouth. Must you comment?
very correct. If na sweet thing to volunteer for free for ebola, why dem dey waste time?
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by tunesoft(m): 11:00am On Sep 07, 2014
xamuel17: Dear fools, who think EVD volunteers shouldn't be paid.. Should go to hell.. These people are like soldiers in war fronts.. To me, I feel they should increase their pay and never mess with their allowance!
I tire for Nigerians oooo...as usual d volunteers cover d govt lapses..buh they can't do that for long..hence they have to voice out...to be frank..the only thing the govt sabi do na to make noise...mouth and lies...

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by mecussey(m): 11:03am On Sep 07, 2014
Chaleeee:

Your ignorance defies all limits. Who forced them to volunteer The doctors that almost died in Liberia volunteered and we're not paid a dime for risking their lives.

If you are getting paid for a service rendered, that does not count as volunteering.
Foolsmond.

My friend, volunteer in Nigeria means risking ones life for money....(money ritual). Nothing concern oyibo dictionary with nigeria dictionary.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by ziga: 11:26am On Sep 07, 2014
Volunteers can be paid.

Sometimes, they get free meals, sometimes they get cash.

But money paid is generally not commensurate with their efforts. (Just like other Nigerian health workers)

And if you read the article, you would see that they were promised money and life insurance packages.

Until we all see that the greed and poor management skills of our leaders is our downfall, everything will continue to rot.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by NIGERIALOLoCOM(m): 11:29am On Sep 07, 2014
jnrbayano:

"Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything that I post or upload on Nairaland."

The above is what your signature says.
For that reason, the distance your thread is to frontpage is same as from Bayelsa to Sokoto journeying on foot.
grin grin
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by redsun(m): 11:56am On Sep 07, 2014
wickyyolo: Only in Nigeria they have a different definition of volunteer. Usually being a volunteer, you don't expect pay, but if at last they decide to pay you that's fine. And any amount they pay you accept it.

It doesn't mean volunteer as in oyinbo literal explanation of the word,but as in those professionals or jobless that are prepared to take the risk of attending to the infected people,knowing the dangers they could be facing with inadequate protective facilities and equipments.

They deserve to be well rewarded and it takes a ffoolish system like nigeria not to prioritize their wages.
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by justi4jesu(f): 12:18pm On Sep 07, 2014
bright007:
Where do I click to be a moderator?

Are you a comedian? grin
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by CyberEBOLA(m): 12:32pm On Sep 07, 2014
bright007:
Where do I click to be a moderator?
Chai Your questions fit make person forget hin name
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by donodion(m): 2:54pm On Sep 07, 2014
pDude: This is the reason why Nigeria is cursed with all manner of curses.

How on earth will you not pay someone after he has worked? Where on earth does that happen?

You attended all manner of holy ghost nights and night vigils yet compassion for your fellow human being is lacking. And that is why Nigeria is cursed.

Useless country.

hehehe my bros dem eyes never still open.

leave "these Nigerians"......they deserve every bad things happening to them starting with those ruling them.

just dey watch

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by donodion(m): 3:08pm On Sep 07, 2014
ceaser: Below are some of the sad responses from readers (Nigerian readers of course):

My take:
•••• So why make hasty conclusions on these volunteers and even picking on them as the enemies? And being fully aware of what "volunteer" means, why do some uninformed/ill-informed, sentiment-driven Nigerians decide "to treat the ringworm, but sparing the leprosy in the process"?

The government knows that things will most likely play out in this manner (of being spared of the blame) as it has always happened before where they as the culprit are never held responsible for their inaction. That is why they are willing to take the gamble once again and luckily, it's gonna be a good gamble.

To the millions of Nigerians still groping in their self-imposed darkness, always choosing to hang Jesus in place of Barnabas, perhaps you should think of the following:

1. With an imminent threat to public health safety in the grades of Liberia, Congo and Guinea following the importation of the deadly disease into the country by Sawyer, the government came out to announce that volunteers for "Patrick Sawyer's disease (my own contraption) containment team should sign up, with an AGREEMENT of a FIXED amount of between 40,000 to 50,000 naira per shift as inducement and compensation for a SUICIDE MISSION. They even went as far as promising life insurance, but we all know where our pension funds end even while alive let alone in death. Most health workers dismissed the offer on account of trust issues, having just come out of an episode of HABITUAL GOVERNMENT FAILED AGREEMENT. They even don't wanna discuss it. That's how bad it was.

Note that the morale of these foot soldiers (doctors) had just been dampened, therefore any attempts to successfully mobilize them for another definite suicidal mission will only require a miracle. Some particularly mentioned that even if the government ups the offer to 1 million naira per shift, they wouldn't accede their call for sacrifice based on trust issues - provision of PPEs and a FAKE LIFE INSURANCE claim.

2. Following this plea, Nigerians were quick to echo their insincere government in calling for "volunteers" from the health sector, equally citing the monetary that comes with the suicide mission as "mouth-watering" enough. They even commended the government for such initiative as the life insurance cover even though it's still on paper and very unlikely to see the light of the day.

3. Aside from the clinical aspect, most of the required works at these isolation centres are unskilled - cleaners for example - therefore I'd expected many Nigerians including those who see EVD volunteers work as the exact dictionary meaning of "volunteer" to have signed up, more so that many of them are job seekers and the remuneration is above the roof. I even hoped against hope that the health minister and Lagos state health commissioner will both don the Hamzat suit in the name of leading by example even if it's just to call journalists, stage a media hype and have them take pictures of him standing outside the compound of the isolation centres wearing the suit. But I'm surprised that they've rather chosen to hide behind the curtains and cast aspersions on the chivalric volunteers for demanding the PITTANCE promised for the suicide mission from the government.

4. Even the "oyinbos" that coined the word "volunteer" know better to use their discretion in its use. The practice is for volunteers to be paid a stipend - an amount not commensurate with the service they offer. Doctors-without-borders is a voluntary international setup, yet the volunteers get their promised stipend AS AT WHEN DUE. And I honestly think 40k is not too much a stipend for a day full of risk for a man and his families, and even you that you that's reading this - talking of how this EVD spreads. After all and unjustifiably so, your senators collect more as daily hazard-free sitting allowance in the chambers.

Also remember that the two American doctors working as volunteers for Samaritans' purse (itself a voluntary organisation) get stipends and they were not neglected by their government in their most hour of need and vulnerability when they too got infected. That's the type of government that earns the respect and trust of its citizens, enough to invoke sacrificial patriotism in such citizens.

my bro....just watch....When push becomes shove...their lost senses would be retrieved.Let them keep shouting fresh air.

all the volunteers bern promised "allowances" but yet to be paid should stay back home.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by Nobody: 3:14pm On Sep 07, 2014
It is evident that by January 2015 Ebola would have killed at least 500 people and by the end of 2015 there will be no Nigeria. Unless we stop looking like it does not concern us because it does not affect us. That is a Nigerian's mind for you.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by obailala(m): 3:59pm On Sep 07, 2014
Before now I thought it was the greed and idiocy of our leaders that would kill us all.. but in recent times, I've come to an understanding that it's only our collective foolishness that can make the greed of our leaders kill us...

What kind of foolishness would make anyone blame the health workers instead of the government in a situation like this?

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by ceaser: 4:35pm On Sep 07, 2014
obailala: Before now I thought it was the greed and idiocy of our leaders that would kill us all.. but in recent times, I've come to an understanding that it's only our collective foolishness that can make the greed of our leaders kill us... What kind of foolishness would make anyone blame the health workers instead of the government in a situation like this?
It's unimaginable. But I think Nigerians have had to much exposure to too much irregularities from successive terrible government for far too long. This has brought about mutation in ideologies and outlook to life in a way that a normal occurrence is viewed and analysed as abnormal, sanity viewed as insanity, honesty viewed as stupidity and wrongly recompensed as such while dishonesty is viewed as smartness.

How else do you explain people blaming these workers and supporting the government that has reneged on their agreement? The other time, some peeps in this forum hurled abuses on Nigerian students on scholarship to Russia who has been abandoned by the government for almost a year. Some even went as far as blaming their parents for not being able to afford the "paltry" $350 (=N=60,000) given to their wards as part of the scholarship package and depending on the government instead.

Such warped thinking is nothing in the league of Stockholm's syndrome. It's much severe and can only be explained as a form of ideological mutation of some sort, resulting from exposure to massive doses of some toxic environmental and social variables.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by blaxx: 4:51pm On Sep 07, 2014
kolajoo: Can you define an "Agreement" made to these people risking their life. Mtscheww I pity for my country.
I never saw the contents of any documents so I cannot define 'agreement' based on what I read.
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by blaxx: 4:54pm On Sep 07, 2014
ebdib:

Shut the eff up dude.
Why didn't you volunteer?
They're selfless willing to give up their lives for that.
You didn't do it and now you're saying they shouldn't be paid?
What sort of degenerate are you??
Without them, ebola would probably he ravishing your twisted brain now.

It's not a must to comment on things you know.
You can reserve your stupidity for things like dorobucci and tiwa savage.

Busy now. When I've got some free time to curse and argue, I'll fully reply.
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by Labelle(f): 5:43pm On Sep 07, 2014
Damn...Guys....SMH. The single thing that God has asked us to do for him is take care of the weak, widows, poor and our neighbors. Countries that strive to do this continuously receive blessings and favors from God, regardless of their religious beliefs. This is a universal law, and I am just surprised we Nigerians are yet to realize this.

Yet, we claim to be Christians, this is not normal, I am scared. How does a population get so hard-hearted, selfish with no ounce of empathy.

In case you cannot connect the dots, this is exactly why the government feels they can't be accountable to anyone, they do not feel for the masses, the same way the masses have no compassion for those around them.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by DrLuv: 6:34pm On Sep 07, 2014
Chaleeee:

Foolsmond.
Lol.bro they are well paiddddddd.when i mean well päid i mean to say well päid
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by mstik(f): 7:13pm On Sep 07, 2014
i was wondering the same thing
lomaxx: I need to check my dictionary for the meaning of "volunteer" again. Maybe the definition has changed.
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by schoolwebng: 7:23pm On Sep 07, 2014
9 Things you Dont Know That Could Damage/Kill Your Brain

The brain is affected by factors we don’t always look into in our daily lives-9 things that kill your brain. Everything from the food we eat, the little bad habits we’ve formed over the years, and extent to which we use the brain: all these factors play a role in the development of our mental power, sometimes boosting our intelligence and sometimes lowering it. Certain habits have been known to lower intelligence by killing brain cells or promoting mental stagnation but luckily you can learn how not to destroy your most vital organ by avoiding these bad habits.

In order to experience a heightened state of brain function, make sure you avoid habits that inhibit mental health and learn new ways to promote brain function. Any positive change is sure to reflect in you regardless of how many bad habits you have; so start by learning what kills your brain....
Read More: http://www.schoolwebng.com/health/9-things-dont-know-damagehkill-brain/
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by shoboy9: 7:57pm On Sep 07, 2014
I've seen some very stupid things on this thread and i wonder at this country. How much do we pay our footballers per match? why not say its a sport, they shouldn't be paid? And they are not risking their lives or that of their families! How much do we pay politicians to sit down and make the country worse?

But now did i hear someone(s) say that people who serve in Ebola treatment should not be paid? Is that same loud mouthed person ready to risk his life for 40k or 50k? How many people in this forum would accept that kind of nonsense. For a normal job its a lot. But if any of those people fall ill and die, then they'll know how much they cheated themselves.

And if they did not sign a legal ironclad agreement with the govt before they started...

I wish them the best. I just hope they don't spread the thing out of spite.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by DrLuv: 8:05pm On Sep 07, 2014
hjr2014: We value money more than anything else
what is this one saying?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hollande Becomes First European Leader To Visit Ebola-hit Region / This Is Urgent Please. / How Poor Diet Delays Pregnancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.